Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people consider FG right wing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

As do tax thieves - yet self-confessed tax fraudster Mick Wallace received 140,000 votes from admirers of tax cheats in the Ireland South European constituency.

On this basis, perhaps Ms. Bailey should consider running for Europe in 5 years time. She already dyes her hair, so all she really needs to do is to dress like a knacker and she's home and dry.

FG dodged tax for nine years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

As do tax thieves - yet self-confessed tax fraudster Mick Wallace received 140,000 votes from admirers of tax cheats in the Ireland South European constituency.

You're making an allegation against an elected MEP?
    On this basis, perhaps Ms. Bailey should consider running for Europe in 5 years time. She already dyes her hair, so all she really needs to do is to dress like a knacker and she's home and dry.

Swings indeed. What's a "knacker "?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Varik wrote: »
    Would disagree about how they portray/advertise themselves.

Load of talk about "people who get up in the morning" and Leo and his "welfare cheats cheat us all", they just don't do anything about it.

Thy just try to differentiate their brand and then continue as normal.
    'people who get up in the morning' is basically every worker in the state. 'welfare cheats' are just that - people who are stealing from the welfare budget; from the people who rely on welfare payments.

If you view these sentiments as right wing then I'd wonder - to the right of what?

klaaaz wrote: »
    You're making an allegation against an elected MEP?
    Wallace is a tax fraudster.
    That's not an allegation; it's a fact.

Phoebas wrote: »
    Wallace is a tax fraudster.
    That's not an allegation; it's a fact.

Just like Lowry and his cohorts!

Remember that insurance fraudsters defraud us all! (businesses closing thanks to FG TD's actively engaged in dodgy insurance claims, swings and all!)

• Advertisement

Remember that insurance fraudsters defraud us all! (businesses closing thanks to FG TD's actively engaged in dodgy insurance claims, swings and all!)

Yes.
    Wallace, Lowry... others too no doubt.

?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭boardise

Your actual and would be fraudsters are worse than mine. Biff ,bang , wallop.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Yes insurance fraud is a massive problem. From this one fine geal woman to the thousands of unemployed people using it as a lottery. It really needs to be stamped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,249 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I dont know how people consider FG right wing , they havent lowered taxes or helped the middle class one iota. For welfare recipients theyve given them the christmas bonus, HAP increases and now this, 12 months on the dole without being hastled if you claim to be an artist. FG are doing more for welfare leeches and welfare dependent migrants than for any business owner or middle class professional. On social issues theyre left of centre and increasingly presenting left wing economic policies.

They've lowered taxes non stop the last five years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Same lad also misappropriated his staffs pension contributions and transferred assets to his family to keep them safe from his creditors. Great lad.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    They've lowered taxes non stop the last five years.

ahh a token scrap. The average person on welfare has received more than double in increases than ive saved in tax reductions. Thats not conservative economics by any measure.

ahh a token scrap. The average person on welfare has received more than double in increases than ive saved in tax reductions. Thats not conservative economics by any measure.

You haven't done the maths on this one.

noodler wrote: »
    You haven't done the maths on this one.

go on enlighten me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

OP if you actually read about the artists scheme it is nothing like 'claim to be an artist and get a year on the dole hassle free".

You have to be an artist who was previously making a living from their art similar to a self employed person. Ie: not on the dole or working a normal job.

I'm an artist and I can count the amount of artists I know who have ever had their artwork be their main source of income on one hand. And I know many of them who would be in public exhibitions etc, but they get paid next to nothing for that. Artists generally have to work another job or be from a family with money.

And that's who will actually avail of the scheme, people who already are well enough off that they didn't have to work a normal job to get by. It will allow artists from money who wouldnt normally qualify for the dole, who don't need it, to receive it. It will be availed of almost exclusively by the posh types with plenty of mommy and daddy money. It's not going to help poor artists one bit. So if it is helping the rich, it's right wing, just like a tax cut for the highest earners would be.

Why do right wingers think everyone but them is getting free sh#t all the time? As in this case, it's because they never had to try and get help so have no idea how difficult it can be and how hard they work to keep everything off you, and dont bother to educate themselves about it. Just take sound bytes to fit their agenda of bitterness.

Despite a few fivers given recently the dole is still currently less than it was in 2006. 13 years ago. And living expenses have skyrocketed. But don't let those facts cloud things.

But you are right about one thing OP, they don't help the middle class. They dont consider you part of their club, never will, but they love people like you who don't realize that and think that siding with the rich political class and railing against the 'scroungers' will lead to them helping you out. Nope. You'll be treated with the same disdain as the rest of the plebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

What right wing parties help middle class? I mean middle class in the States and UK were devastated under the Reagan and Thatcher governments while all the wealth was syphoned to the top 1%.

You could argue FG have both conservative and neoliberal policies such as low or no corporate taxes. Ireland is a complete haven for multinational corporations in large part thanks to FG.

FG have continued the war on drugs. There are US states now more progressive on this matter than Ireland. We are spending a huge amount annually policing and locking up minor drug offenses still in 2019.

FG brought in the criminalization of prostitution bill. FG have called for lower spending on health, education and social welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yeah, that comes under being stupid and greedy. Put it down to dubious behaviour at most. Legally no crime to be seen. Insurance fraud is a crime, exaggeration of a likely claim is not but it is up to a judge to spot that and that report suggests that would have been the probable outcome.

What about Allen Farrell's case where he produced photos in court to back up his claim, it was only when the victim of his claim produced photographs from the incident that showed no damage and his mechanic stated that the photos were from a different incident that he withdrew his claim?

Yes insurance fraud is a massive problem. From this one fine geal woman to the thousands of unemployed people using it as a lottery. It really needs to be stamped out.

What thousands of "unemployed people using it as a lottery"? Unemployed people are a fraction of the welfare budget and hatred of you towards the poor neglects the tax dodging billionaires(and millionaires).

Insurance fraudsters defraud us all.

Is your income less than it was in 2006? Because the dole is!

The Christmas bonus was only restored after being cancelled and other than that the recent increases have not matched or overtaken the cuts put in place during the recession.

Why do you start these threads and harp on so passionately about welfare recipients when you so obviously are actually totally ignorant and misinformed as to the facts. You don't possess knowledge of even the most basic figures involved, and are talking nonsense that you have convinced yourself is the truth. You're delusional. I have a hunch you would be wearing a red hat if you lived in America!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Christmas bonus :) there should be a reduction for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,604 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Is your income less than it was in 2006? Because the dole is!

The Christmas bonus was only restored after being cancelled and other than that the recent increases have not matched or overtaken the cuts put in place during the recession.

Why do you start these threads and harp on so passionately about welfare recipients when you so obviously are actually totally ignorant and misinformed as to the facts. You don't possess knowledge of even the most basic figures involved, and are talking nonsense that you have convinced yourself is the truth. You're delusional. I have a hunch you would be wearing a red hat if you lived in America!

How do you make that out?

JSA in 2006 was €165.80

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Budget-2006---Rates-of-Payment.aspx

JSA in 2019 is €203

https://m.welfare.ie/en/Pages/bud19s1.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

They are snobbish more so than right wing politically.

What thousands of "unemployed people using it as a lottery"? Unemployed people are a fraction of the welfare budget and hatred of you towards the poor neglects the tax dodging billionaires(and millionaires).

This is all in his little fantasy world that he's built up in his head, similar to a certain orange man who thinks gangs of Mexican rapists are taking over the United States. Dole bashers all have this mindset and they won't change no matter what facts are presented. Because it's not really about economics it's just some people are bitter and need scapegoats to hate. They think they deserve more than what they have, but bizarrely they blame the poor rather than the ones who are actually making sure that they stay closer to working class then wealthy.

Guy I know owns a pub and posted on FB one day some stupid meme about how 'it's wrong to take tax from someone who works and give it to someone ho doesn't.' His pub would close overnight if the dole and pensions were stopped!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Not keeping promises either

john4321 wrote: »

JSA in 2006 was €165.80

JSA in 2019 is €203

I moved back to Ireland in 2006 after living abroad (great timing, I know) and clearly recall getting over 200 euro, it was either 208 or 211. And that was basic rate.

the 188 that is was put at for a while was after it was cut, was it not?

Ive read the link but I definitely remember it being over 200. I remember it clearly because I went to a nightclub one night (you'll love this OP) and this nutjob who had never had a job was chatting up some girl, and she asked him what plans he had for the future, and he said, "Well, Im hoping the dole goes up to about 300 euro, and then I'm going to buy a caravan." And he was dead serious!

I never saw the lad again after the crash, i reckon the poor guy never saw it coming.

I moved back to Ireland in 2006 after living abroad (great timing, I know) and clearly recall getting over 200 euro, it was either 208 or 211. And that was basic rate.

It wasn't the basic rate though I didn't make up the figures I provided links to the rates for 2006 and 2019.

JSA in 2006 was €165.80

JSA in 2019 is €203

This poster never heard of inflation. Typical FG economics.

its like there wasnt a massive economic contraction worldwide between 2006 and now that would mean that consumer prices haven't altered much at all between then and now.

Them goalposts...bring them back!

Even though your point has nothing to do with what I said here are the figures.

https://www.cso.ie/en/interactivezone/visualisationtools/cpiinflationcalculator/

The % change in the CPI from Jul 2006 to May 2019 is 10.0%.

A basket of goods and services that cost €165.80 in Jul 2006 would have cost €182.38 in May 2019.

Calculations
    Percentage change = ( (indexTo - indexFrom) / indexFrom ) * 100

((127.60 - 116.00) / 116.00) * 100 = 10.0%

Nothing to do with FG economics just getting fed up seeing stupid non factual statements being made.

• Advertisement

It wasn't the basic rate though I didn't make up the figures I provided links to the rates for 2006 and 2019.

Maybe someone else can help clarify. I remember it being over 200 because I was surprised it was so high. And like I said the 188 it was stuck on for a while there was off the back of several cuts. It certainly didnt go up during the recession so it would seem more likely it went from over 200 down to 188 and not up to 188 from 165 during those years.

Advertisement