Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Sweden Change Its Flag

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

"As the Seamen's Church is an independent foundation and, while in Stockholm, not part of Brunne's Diocese of Stockholm, Kicki Wetterberg, the head of the Seamen's Church, rejected the suggestion in an interview with Dagen, stating that she had "no problem with Muslim or Hindu sailors worshipping in the church, but the church will keep its crosses, being a Christian church".[16]"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

"As the Seamen's Church is an independent foundation and, while in Stockholm, not part of Brunne's Diocese of Stockholm, Kicki Wetterberg, the head of the Seamen's Church, rejected the suggestion in an interview with Dagen, stating that she had "no problem with Muslim or Hindu sailors worshipping in the church, but the church will keep its crosses, being a Christian church".[16]"

Oh i know what that is. The cross is seen as idolatry in Islam and Judaism.

Or rather the crucifix is.

But then jews don't go woshipping in churches. And according to jewish law we can't.

We can go pray in a mosque though because its clear there is no idolatry there. And they can pray in a synagogue for the same reason.

Judaism and Islam has a similar sensitivity to idolatry. The star of David and the crecent moon on mosques etc doesn't represent god. The star represents the Jewish people. The crescent moon represents islam not allah. We are not allowed have images of god ....as god is infinite and beyond race nation or gender.

Christianity has a lot of idolatry.

Obviously asking someone to remove their cross etc is not ok it's their place of worship etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭malinheader

At last someone with a bit of cop on.
    This stupid carry on of removing objects in fear of insulting a small minority only adds to the divisions that people are trying to mend.
    I'm sure 90% of them couldn't give a toss, and any who do shouldn't be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Don't see muslim countries pissing in their pants trying to remove islamic symbols from their mosques, flags or whatever in order to appease non muslims.

• Registered Users Posts: 59,574 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

I think the OP should consider living off-road and definitely stay out of cars in case one of these comes into view.

SQ7HQHk.png

Ludicrous proposal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I think it's fine

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Sweden has a new religous leader - no crosses required

St greta of the climates ... ;)

4850751-JXPDSOVJ-6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Sweden is seen as a very progressive country which embraces equality and diversity. Is it sustainable for it to retain its national flag, which contains such overt Christian symbolism?

I didn’t know their flag contained any symbolism until you posted. I suspect the vast majority of the world don’t either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

What does Trump think?

When's my next cheeseburger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

They should put a picture of Jesus in the middle of it if it pisses off lefties a bit more.

I'm not Catholic in any way and i don't believe in any sky fairies of any shape or form but im sick of all these anti catholic do gooders.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

They should put a picture of Jesus in the middle of it if it pisses off lefties a bit more.

I'm not Catholic in any way and i don't believe in any sky fairies of any shape or form but im sick of all these anti catholic do gooders.

Jesus was the original leftie (or possibly Pythagoras).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

fryup wrote: »
    yes and Lutheranism (Protestantism) is part of Christianity

I know that, just making the point that despite being viewed as deeply secular Liberal nations, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland and Iceland, all have the Lutheran Church at the heart of their state

• Registered Users Posts: 23,866 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Try getting the Brits to change the butcher's apron, only the christian crosses of 3 saints and nations there, then we'll have a chat about Sweden and the rest....

In fact, the United Ireland should return to the red saltire of St Patrick when the time comes, to represent our unified nation under christian heritage morality
    No, not really, but it got you going

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Try getting the Brits to change the butcher's apron,

Oh pleease pleeeeeaaase lets do this. I would love to piss them off! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

L1011 wrote: »
    Which was bollox like all of these are

Was at Lidl once a few years back, there was one Muslim lady at the til causing an outroar demanding they removed pork products as she had to stand near another customer buying them.

The absolute audacity of her... the poor clerk was shrinking into his sit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Was at Lidl once a few years back, there was one Muslim lady at the til causing an outroar demanding they removed pork products as she had to stand near another customer buying them.

The absolute audacity of her... the poor clerk was shrinking into his sit.

What she wanted was a law suit and to cry racism. €20k law suit and it all goes away. Muslims can eat pork as long as it is Halal. Dawn Pork and Bacon pay the Halal certification. Its not important about production its about the 2% gross revenue fee. This is passed onto the next level and has to be paid at the next level. So by the end of day you could easily be paying 10% extra for your groceries from producer to transport to producer to storage to the vendor, when it is paid at each stage. Guess who collects all this money in the EU?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Try getting the Brits to change the butcher's apron, only the christian crosses of 3 saints and nations there, then we'll have a chat about Sweden and the rest....

In fact, the United Ireland should return to the red saltire of St Patrick when the time comes, to represent our unified nation under christian heritage morality
    No, not really, but it got you going

I wonder will they actually change it if Scotland/NI leaves

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Muslims can eat pork as long as it is Halal.
    Untrue. Pork and pig product are always haraam. Now some companies applied for the halal rating, but Muslim scholars came out against it. Even snopes got wind of this. One type of food which is always haraam for Muslims and can never be considered halal is pork, including any and all consumables derived from any portion of a pig (e.g., pork sausage, pork ribs, bacon, ham)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Muslims can eat pork as long as it is Halal. Dawn Pork and Bacon pay the Halal certification.

Not if they are religious they can't. Same as Jews.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_restrictions_on_the_consumption_of_pork#Prohibitions_in_Islamic_law

There is no such thing as Halal pork. Just like there is not such thing as Kosher pork.
    All cuts of pork (pig-meat) are Haram. These include such names as bacon, ham, gammon steaks and rashers. Also, all types of sausages, including beef sausages, contain pork and therefore are forbidden.

Many foodstuffs contain fats from animals, including the pig and so it is important to read the "Ingredients" label before buying anything. Foods containing "animal fat", "lard", "shortening", or just "fat" are not suitable to be eaten by Muslims.
    https://islamicfoundation.ie/services/halal-food-certification/halal-food-in-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,166 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

chuchuchu wrote: »
    There was a story before about them removing crosses from Swedish churches as not to offend Muslims

Chruch. Singular. Because it was hosting Muslim refugees.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Not if they are religious they can't. Same as Jews.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_restrictions_on_the_consumption_of_pork#Prohibitions_in_Islamic_law

There is no such thing as Halal pork. Just like there is not such thing as Kosher pork.

https://islamicfoundation.ie/services/halal-food-certification/halal-food-in-ireland/

What about lab grown pork? :p

What she wanted was a law suit and to cry racism. €20k law suit and it all goes away. Muslims can eat pork as long as it is Halal. Dawn Pork and Bacon pay the Halal certification. Its not important about production its about the 2% gross revenue fee. This is passed onto the next level and has to be paid at the next level. So by the end of day you could easily be paying 10% extra for your groceries from producer to transport to producer to storage to the vendor, when it is paid at each stage. Guess who collects all this money in the EU?

Do you have any links to support your statement that Muslims can eat pork, I can't find any all I can find are ones stating that they can't/won't for religious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Eva Brunne, the lesbian bishop, again:
    'More in Common with Muslims than Right-Wing Christians'

She has also said Muslim worshippers in churches are "angels" and that churches should remove all crosses that might offend them and instead mark the direction to Mecca for prayers.

This follows a trend in the Swedish Church to find common ground with Islam.
    During a church meeting last November, a motion to ban the Islamic call to prayer in Swedish cities was voted down, with some church officials saying it would be an "amazing" opportunity for more people to meet the "love of Allah."

https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/world/2019/june/swedish-bishop-has-more-in-common-with-muslims-than-right-wing-christians

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Won't happen here. We are different

• Registered Users Posts: 22,039 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I didn’t know their flag contained any symbolism until you posted. I suspect the vast majority of the world don’t either.

I say most of western world knows about the Nordic cross, 1st used by Denmark and all the other Nordic countries followed suit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

What are you mumbling about now?

Who are you supposed to be?

I say most of western world knows about the Nordic cross, 1st used by Denmark and all the other Nordic countries followed suit.

I was unaware it had religious symbolism, to me it was just a geometric cross. Same with the Swiss one, I only learned it was religious through the Red Cross having an inverted Swiss flag as their flag, and hence the Red Crescent instead in Muslim countries (and previously other religious versions in other countries too)

Chruch. Singular. Because it was hosting Muslim refugees.
    I can understand it then temporarily.

I was unaware it had religious symbolism, to me it was just a geometric cross. Same with the Swiss one, I only learned it was religious through the Red Cross having an inverted Swiss flag as their flag, and hence the Red Crescent instead in Muslim countries (and previously other religious versions in other countries too)

Its the Magen David Adom in Israel. pT5rG5LGc.jpg

• Advertisement

Its the Magen David Adom in Israel. pT5rG5LGc.jpg

Yeah exactly! Indian has a sunwheel shape and Japan something too, there also a few different secular ones as well like Lebanon has a cedar. But only the Red Cross, Crescent, Crystal and (curiously) Persian Lion are internationally recognised

Advertisement