Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N****r in a woodpile

Options
  • 06-07-2019 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭

I find it interesting that a recent complaint about a politician who used the phrases "n*****r in a dogpile", and also used the phrase "f*ckin bitch" directly targeted at another woman, that it was the N word that got the attention.

The N word in that phrase is an old term with absolutely no derogatory or racist intention. Calling someone a f*ckin bitch is most definitely a derogatory term and targeted abuse. But guess which word they'll get in trouble over!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,324 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Did it actually happen, any record of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Dante7 wrote: »
    I find it interesting

I find a lot of things interesting too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Any other country and for either statements he should be fired on spot or hand in resignation

Not in Ireland and the current FG gangsters

Run right from the top to the lowest level

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Who said it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

The N word in that phrase is an old term with absolutely no derogatory or racist intention. Calling someone a f*ckin bitch is most definitely a derogatory term and targeted abuse. But guess which word they'll get in trouble over!

Um, no.

The phrase is a joking reference (haha, not) to runaway slaves desperately hiding among the logs waiting to be chopped, to evade their pursuers.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/****_in_the_woodpile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I do think the N word is different from the word bitch. I don't think you can compare them and I am female.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Of course it's different. But neither should be used by civilised people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Who uses the word dogpile? After using the N word trying to be polite by saying dogpile seems frivilous

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe

I do think the N word is different from the word bitch. I don't think you can compare them and I am female.

I wouldn’t compare the words

What I would say is using either while at work is sackable in every other job so why not for public officials?

Then again to do that Leo the kitten would need to do his job for once

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,324 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There should be a €5k fine for using it in this country whether you use it for artistic licence with your tunes or as a racist term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I find it interesting that a recent complaint about a politician who used the phrases "n*****r in a dogpile", and also used the phrase "f*ckin bitch" directly targeted at another woman, that it was the N word that got the attention.

niggardly with the links OP

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I wouldn’t compare the words

What I would say is using either while at work is sackable in every other job so why not for public officials?

Then again to do that Leo the kitten would need to do his job for once

It was someone in FG? Who?

There should be a €5k fine for using it in this country whether you use it for artistic licence with your tunes or as a racist term.

I hope you are joking. There should be a fine for saying a word?

Haha for **** sake

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭Odhinn

....nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Do you not think there is a difference between me calling a woman a ****ing bitch and referencing Agatha Christie's Ten little ****?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Odhinn wrote: »
    ....nope.

You're just being offended on other people's behalf. Rural Irish people using the phrase ****** in a dog pile is not racist. There is no racist intent. Mens rea!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

We are not Americans so the use of the word here may not have been racist initially, it may have slipped into the vernacular through American influence. It definitely wasn’t racist in the kids rhyme, at least the children using it weren’t racist.

Probably no excuse for using it now.

Be careful - cotton picker is also racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,236 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Any other country and for either statements he should be fired on spot or hand in resignation

Not in Ireland and the current FG gangsters

Run right from the top to the lowest level

Any other country? are you sure about that?

Last I checked, there were people like Trump and Johnson runnning around as politicians in other countries. And I haven’t even touched on the European hard right.

You're just being offended on other people's behalf. Rural Irish people using the phrase ****** in a dog pile is not racist. There is no racist intent. Mens rea!

It would help if you actually read the complaint

"The county councillor who was called ‘the n***** in the woodpile’"
    https://extra.ie/2019/07/06/news/irish-news/fine-gael-meath-gillian-toole

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

We are not Americans so the use of the word here may not have been racist initially, it may have slipped into the vernacular through American influence. It definitely wasn’t racist in the kids rhyme, at least the children using it weren’t racist.

Probably no excuse for using it now.

Be careful - cotton picker is also racist.

I can't say I've ever heard of this particular woodpile phrase ever being used before though, just me?

It would help if you actually read the complaint

"The county councillor who was called ‘the n***** in the woodpile’"
    https://extra.ie/2019/07/06/news/irish-news/fine-gael-meath-gillian-toole

I'm familiar with the complaint. I created the thread. I am also very familiar with your type. You are the Owen Jones of Boards. You are a far left misogynist with no regard for women. You would rather jump on a bandwagon and accuse someone of using the N word, rather than the more substantive issue of the real abuse where a woman was called a ****. You are absolutely useless in this debate.

I'm familiar with the complaint. I created the thread.

....and misquoted the actual remark made. Well done.

I am also very familiar with your type. You are the Owen Jones of Boards. You are a far left misogynist with no regard for women. You would rather jump on a bandwagon and accuse someone of using the N word, rather than the more substantive issue of the real abuse where a woman was called a ****. You are absolutely useless in this debate.

.....I didn't accuse anyone, yer woman did. And both terms are abusive, and one is racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭circadian

I'm familiar with the complaint. I created the thread. I am also very familiar with your type.You are the Owen Jones of Boards. You are a far left misogynist with no regard for women. You would rather jump on a bandwagon and accuse someone of using the N word, rather than the more substantive issue of the real abuse where a woman was called a ****. You are absolutely useless in this debate.

Most people on here are familiar with your type too. Dickheads that like to try to defend the indefensible and play devils advocate. If you genuinely don't see the issue here then maybe you're part of the problem.

....and misquoted the actual remark made. Well done.

.....I didn't accuse anyone, yer woman did. And both terms are abusive, and one is racist.

Ok. Let's go. Why is "****** in the woodpile" an intentionally racist comment?

It's a phrase that went out with the advent of electricity. To claim victimhood is pathetic.

• Advertisement

It's a phrase that went out with the advent of electricity. To claim victimhood is pathetic.

I had never even heard it. I had to look it up to find out what it meant.

Even now i am still not sure.

Advertisement