Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling News & Rumours Thread ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Keep McGregor away from it. Don't want him near the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

With all the allegations around McGregor he would have been a great side kick for Vince.

I doubt they would want that publicity then again Logan Paul is a crypto scammer and one of the worst humans going so you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I don't want him near the female locker room.......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

An actual recorded show, especially a PPV show, would sell out easily enough, if only for the fact fans from Europe would travel over too. House shows struggle a bit when they run them twice a year every year, cause house shows are ultimately missable.

A PPV show though, which celebrated the huge number of Irish wrestlers on the card? Think they'd do that easily. I'd kill for that here. I'm still bitter about the NXT UK Takeover Dublin show being cancelled cause of Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

If you think the WWE could sell out 80k tickets it would take to sell out Croke Park I’ll have what your having as well.

If the WWE knew they could sell out 80k in Dublin that’s Wrestlemania numbers they would have booked here already if there marketing department saw that happening. People are thinking with green tined glasses on thinking they would sell out Croke Park.

Regards,

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,794 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Could easily do Glasgow on a budget but can imagine ticket prices will not be budget friendly. Be huge demand (even with the late announcement)

Looking like only a handful of 'single event tickets' will go on sale

It's a great venue and city, saw my first ever 'recorded shows' in there in 2016

On croke park there is no way the WWE are paying the price it would cost to hire it.

WWE do these Supershows when states or governments pay them to come to there city or Country for PPV Supershows.

WWE in Cardiff, Melbourne, Perth were all heavily incentivized with government money just like US PPV's are with tax incentives etc. The Irish government would be shot if they paid WWE to come to Ireland.

Katie Taylor wasn't happying in croke park due to cost and the promotors knowing it wouldn't sell out and they would end up losing money.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

It's the money reason that we won't see a major PLE in Dublin as you say. Can you imagine the reaction in the country if the Taoiseach or Dublin Mayor comes out and says "we're going to spend this money on bringing WWE to Dublin!"

Though, the posts on Boards would be very entertaining for a while it must be said🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 85,087 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Catherine Martin even though a GP TD would get my vote then if she did, RTE gets enough money

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

for clarity, I was more referring to your point about barely selling out the 3Arena. They’d sell that out with zero hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

Yeah they would sell the 3 Arena out no problem at all with a show based around all the Irish talent.

Has CATC Scotland got the future world champions on the poster in Drew and Cody

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

• Registered Users Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Rock wants to buy a painting from MJF's ex.

Presenting that to Mama Rhodes would make for some amazing TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭ThePott

Something so strange about MJF being totally silent since losing the title and breaking that silence to comment on WWE angle and reply to the Rock.

I'm sure some people are going to spin this the wrong way🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭hynesie08

What? I know wrestlers love a low handshake but not that bleeding low.

Corey Graves on Ronda's comments on Vince.

"Listen, I take everything with a grain of salt. Listen, if you're in this business for any duration, you get used to letting those sort of things roll off your back.

Honestly the company really needs a complete makeover behind the scences to clear out this kind of mindset and culture.

Any company that has staff with a let it roll off your back stance in 2024 really needs to look at it's HR department as it's not doing a good job.

I wonder what he will say about Drew Gulak shaking hands when her private area.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,084 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Anything booked like that in Ireland would be like The Radioactiveman movie in the Simpsons, Quimby and Wiggum had a tax for doing everything and anything this place and the insurance and union nonsense anything booked is a nightmare the stewards in Croker being a prime example.

I had wondered could Malahide Castle host such an event but it'll probably be Edinburgh if McEntyre wins vs Seth

"Listen, I take everything with a grain of salt. Listen, if you're in
    this business for any duration, you get used to letting those sort of
    things roll off your back. Everybody has a different experience in WWE
    or in the wrestling business. Not everybody accomplishes what they set
    out to accomplish. Some people never expect to love it and fall madly in
    love with it. You look at a guy coming from another world like a Logan
    Paul who's taken to this like a fish to water. He's having a very
    different experience."

Graves continued, "Ronda came from the combat sports world, which is a
    very different world despite being the same general flavor as
    wrestling, as WWE. I've always gotten along well with Ronda. Her
    personal experience is her personal experience. When my name is
    mentioned, I can add something but you never really fault anybody --
    she's entitled to her opinion. I don't necessarily say I'm inclined to
    agree and I may downright disagree sometimes but people are entitled to
    their opinions and I'm sorry if she feels that way. She's got a lot of
    fans around the world who were grateful for her time here."

From the full quote I more got the impression that he was talking about booking and creative. Not about Vince or Gulak.

Ronda is obviously entitled to her opinion and while I think he first run was good, she wasn't great in her second run, whether it was poor storylines or bad creative or her not seeming to have any real interest or motivation.

Now if she faced any mistreatment or abuse, that's a different matter. The Drew Gulak situation is weird, his excuse doesn't wash and touching her drawstring is just a strange thing to do whatever his motivation was (perhaps it wasn't sexual at all is what I mean).

Whose book is selling better, Becky or Ronda?

• Advertisement

The RDS hosted an outdoor house show in 2005. Getting redeveloped soon so maybe in the future

Malahide Castle would need temporary stands put in so be a non runner

The 'Castle' will be represented by the Castle shaped screen above the ring. WWE don't want any questions about that 😆. Probably couldn't think of a name for Scotland. Suppose they could went with 'Glasgow Kiss Fest' or ' Mega Glasgow Brawl' or something more horrendous

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Lads, WWE would not sell out Croke Park my god - get real with the hyperbole!

I do think a ppv with top Raw and SD stars at Croke Park would sell, you'd have not only Irish fans but fans from UK and Europe travelling over

Nothing announced yet for Slane this year 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Wwe could maybe run aviva or croke park, but it couldn't be a house show. Would have to be a major event like a summerslam. That people from the UK or continental Europe would travel over for.

The problem with wwe and the Republic of Ireland has always been poor attendances with the noteworthy exception of the rds 2005. With the UK they have always ran different cities with different "local markets" that could travel for a big show (before you even mention continental Europe traveling) the clash at the castle two years ago made sense. With running such an event in Ireland it will always be meet with a "ehh, you sure?"

That said there will be some live wwe event in Dublin at some point. Be it a ever delayed nxt Europe or and nxt live dublin show.

That NXT Europe is gone very quiet

Remember someone here suggestion it be based in Ireland due to brexit etc

I was at that RDS show. Great day out so it was. My first live event.

Won tickets to it and didn't get to go because I was too young 😢

Ah sure I made up for it ever since, someday I'll get to Mania

Haven't read Rondas (haven't read her first despite owning it) but I'm about halfway through Beckys (got to meet her at a book signing).

The book is great, really well written, funny and honest. It's a great read and I'm not always the best at sticking with a book.

Heard the audio book is great too but haven't listened to it yet.

Agree on this. WWE would not sell out Croke Park. Maybe when there was shortage of Europe shows, because it encouraged people from around Europe to travel to it. There is no shortage of Europe shows atm. The only way it would work now is if PPV itself was notable like a Rumble/Mania/Summerslam as you said (obviously that is hypothetical).

I think a PPV being here isn't out of the realm of possiblity but it'll be a B-PPV on a smaller venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Haven't seen any figures but I'd expect Becky's book may do better than Ronda's. Ronda isn't the star she once was and Becky has the full weight of WWE/TKO behind her publicity tour. On a related note I was somewhat surprised to hear that Becky thought Ronda was "lovely" when she talks about working with her. Obviously the social media stuff was always a work but I always thought Ronda would be stand offish in real life too.

• Advertisement

In her book, Becky Lynch revealed the finish for her WrestleMania main event with Ronda and Charlotte was supposed to be Becky tapping Ronda out clean.

When Ronda arrived at rehearsals, she refused to tap out as her mother would never talk to her again if she tapped.

Advertisement