Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling News & Rumours Thread ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

• Registered Users Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

As if Bliss couldn't be more perfect, now she's shítting on Meltzer...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I saw all the hooha about that segment and Meltzer etc so I went and watched it. It really wasn't that bad at all, if you leave aside Alexa's gimmick. Which she more or less did anyway. I've seen a lot worse on the increasingly rare occasions I dip into Raw.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,307 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A source with in the WWE is now confirming fans walked out.

Bryan Alvarez said that someone in WWE who was in the building sent him a text to confirm that hundreds of people left during the segment but the source disputed the number that Meltzer reported and added that the number was closer to 700.

Alvarez said, “Dave last night on the Observer Radio show said that during that interview segment, 1500 people walked out. Well if you’ve gone to social media today, which admittedly I have not but I can tell you this. Alexa was upset about this report and here’s what I can tell you, okay? Forget a fan or Dave or just some random bloke in the building. Last night during the show, shortly after the Alexa Bliss-Charlotte segment, somebody in WWE [and] in the building – not some random fan. This is someone who works for the company and was in the building. They texted all of us actually and they said that 700 people had walked out, 700.”

Alvarez continued, “So then last night on Observer Radio, Dave said 1500. Well, today, that same person questioned the 1500 but reiterated and this is a quote that they ‘would stand by the number of 700.’ So now we are splitting hairs or whatever. This is from someone there that was in the building, not watching at home [but] in the building. It is abundantly clear that hundreds of people walked out. Was it 700, was it 900, was it 564, was it 1500? Bro, I don’t know, I wasn’t there okay? I know that she’s mad. I’d probably be mad too if I did some segment and people walked out but it appears to be a factual statement that a number of people walked out during that segment. I don’t know what the real number was, I wasn’t there but there were people that walked out during that segment. Is it the end of the world? No. You know what else I heard from that person? That they sold a lot of merch which would probably mean dolls and shirts and whatever. Alexa is gonna get her merch paycheck and hopefully, that will make her feel better but there’s good and bad with this story. That’s what I can tell you about what happened last night during that segment.”

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

When they say "walked out", do they mean of the building or just used the segment for a toilet break or whatever?

Not defending the product but if it happened it sounds planned or something. Strange they all time it for the same segment. True, it might've been the last straw after not liking what happened before, but the show was nearly over at that point with only the Hardy/Sheamus match and the triple threat after it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I guess 700 people felt that it was the perfect time for a piss break. Theyd be right.

The whole gimmick is dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

If it's true that people walked out I wouldn't just put it at Bliss' door. Charlotte is utterly stale.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭Riddle101

It's interesting looking back on the Plane Ride from Hell incident now. It seems to me like WWE targeted Scott Hall and Curt Henning and used them as fall guys in that incident. Curt had a wrestling match with Brock Lesnar on the plane and ended up getting released afterward, even though Vince and Kurt Angle did the same thing. Scott was drunk on the flight as well, but compared to Flair and Goldust he wasn't any different. So they must have used Hall and Hennig as fall guys. Either that or they just wanted to get rid of them, but it was unfair that Henning got released.

Ah I could still have time for Charlotte, but I have zero time for this Bliss gimmick. Its not her fault either though, its WWEs for persisting with it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Sounds a bit like circling the wagons after Dave took his original bullshit too far and everyone called him out on it. Now we have an anonymous source confirming it and 1500 or 700 is just splitting hairs

• Advertisement

I knew it wouldn't happen but I was kinda hoping Alexa would somehow mention a flight attendant.

Do Sapp, The Mat Men, Keller and all the other wrestling dirt sheet guys say who their sources are? I am sure they are all anonymous but if you care to name the sources they use please do tell us all.

Some are known, like Ric and Meltzer always seemed to have a good relationship. Jericho certainly appears to be one. But no, typically speaking sources will always be anonymous so they can keep providing scoops.

They can range from producers to in ring talent to developmental guys etc.

Usually anyone unhappy in WWE can use wrestling journalists as an outlet to speak out or provide information anonymously.

Sources my arse.

In the last month he said Asuka is off TV because creative has nothing for her. She immediately refuted that and a few days later she is pictured in a giant arm cast.

He said Cole was gonna be a manager on the main roster. Cole said he never heard anything about that.

Now he says a quarter of the audience left during a segment on Raw, gets called out and suddenly it's "Erm...maybe it was an 1/8?"

He is The Sun/Fox News of wrestling.

Edit: In this day and age, you don't think a quarter of the audience leaving a WWE show would be filmed on 40 different phones?

Austin leaked everything Keller during the attitude era

Prichard was a huge leak to Meltzer during his original runs there and I wouldn't be surprised if he still is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I'd well believe that there were 700 fewer there by the time of that segment but that's not the same thing as 700 walking out at the same time.

The Cole issue was reported by Sapp and Keller too, Sapp mentioned that Cole wasnt aware, so the fact Cole wasnt aware doesnt make it untrue.

Could easily be a writer or producer leaking it from a creative meeting or it could be Cole lying and denying it. Who knows.

Either way its a **** idea.

The Mat Men openly say they have sources at both Fox & USA who give them the heads up on stories and those guys would have nothing to gain really compared to talent & creative in the WWE who are all out for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭ThePott

I didn't watch Raw so I don't know where this segment was in the show, maybe it was near the end but if you paid the price for WWE tickets, the idea of just walking out altogether seems unfathomable, going for a piss-break? Sure but there's definitely some spin here that seems a little much.

I don't know, I only saw a clip of the segment and thoguht it seemed better than the usual Bliss stuff but what do I know.

When all actual exodus happened during the Joe/Roman Backlash shítshow, we could see it and we got footage...

Where is the Charlotte/Bliss footage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

New Japan really is ice-cold outside of Japan at the minute, hate to see it. They need to eat some humble pie with Omega and the Bucks I think, and once the G1 is over send some of the big guns to Dynamite to try and regain a bit of buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,442 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

As much as I’m a fan of Ric flair the wrestler(seems to be the safest way to frame it now), I’d be doing a disco stu on that beaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

I'll go the opposite way and say fair play to Meltzer. He got a report, verified by Alvarez's source, and reported it. A lesser site may not have wanted to incur the wrath of the Alexa stans (along with Sasha stans the worst fandom to deal with).

I think most womens wrestling have stans and get on their soapbox to praise anything a talent does.

They wanted Swole v Diamante on Dynamite, saying it was a MOTY candidate..... but it sucked hard.

I'll never understand diehard fans with the blinkers on.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

i guess this character is their version of an obnoxious “woke” person? Odd one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I thought it was a weird one for them alright given their obsession with PR. Having watched his promo and post match antics I don't think the gimmick is any loss tbh. Just wasn't pulled off.

Did anyone see this coming?

Now if they sign Nick Aldis, they'll be on their way.

Now to try and guess who takes part and what their Gladiator names will be, since going with their WWE names wouldn't sound right.

For anyone interested, Karrion and Scarlett got engaged

Maybe it's the smile or the lack of Mad Max gear but I wouldn't recognise Karrion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

A guy over on r/squaredcircle summarises Meltzer's Wrestling Observer Newsletters and here's a piece from the Plane Ride from Hell newsletter: https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/grmzh3/wrestling_observer_rewind_may_13_2002/

And the moment is here! For those of you who had "under 3 months" in the "How long will Scott Hall last?" pool, come collect your prize. Scott Hall was released by the WWE this week due to misbehavior on the European tour. Firstly, he went on a drunken binge during the entire tour and was even worse on the plane ride home (much more on that in a bit). Dave says this was inevitable. WCW fired him. Even ECW stopped using him when he got arrested at one point. And even though he was seemingly behaving during his Japan tours, even NJPW cut ties with him shortly before he went back to WWE because they were fed up with some of his antics. And now WWE has fired him. Dave talks about how Hall made a drunken spectacle of himself in the locker room on his very first day back in WWE, before the NWO even debuted on TV, then he showed up in Toronto for Wrestlemania in no condition to perform (later came out that he was hungover from the night before), which caused Austin to insist on ending their feud at WM (which was the plan, but Dave says Austin has continued working with Hall afterwards simply because they don't really seem to have any other credible opponents for him). Hall's match with Bradshaw at Backlash was an embarrassment and the night before that show, agents had to help him back to his hotel. Just endless incidents like this. In Europe, Hall was such a blatant drunken mess that even the other wrestlers were calling for him to be fired. Hall was 45 minutes late for the bus they all took to London and then passed out in the locker room during the show. On the plane ride back, he was starting fights with people and eventually passed out and it got to the point that people were worried about his health. When they got back to the U.S. for Raw, they literally had to wake him up from a drunken stupor backstage to send him to the ring to do his segment (and yes, he wrestled). After the show, they fired him. No one came to his defense, and even Hall's closest friends are now admitting that he simply can't handle the pressures of being on the road and being released is the best thing for him right now. Dave talks about how a lot of wrestlers have been fired in the last couple of years for drug and alcohol issues and that's all well and good, but the big problem is why hire them in the first place? Scott Hall's issues were not a secret. It wasn't like he cleaned himself up before he came to WWE. He was getting in trouble and collecting arrests like Pokemon all the way up until the day they brought him back. Anyway, Hall had a 2-year deal, believed to be worth $600,000-per-year downside for only 10 dates per month. So a really sweet deal, but it's gone now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,803 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Advertisement