Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&B Complaint

Options
  • 05-07-2019 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm just wondering is there somewhere I can raise an issue over a poor B&B other than just TripAdvisor reviews.

I complained to the manager, to the owner and she was extremely rude to me. I left a Review on TripAdvisor and she replied with personal jibes, insults and actually lied saying I flung my key at a staff member. I handed it to him as it didn't fit my door and wasn't told this was for the dining area. None of this was explained to me on check in.

I wasn't told that I needed to lock my door and it wasn't explained to me housekeeping would walk in when I was in bed. Not one but 3 different members of staff walked in on different occasions. I was told this was my own fault.

There was hair in my shower. I didn't discover this until day 2 as the first day I was showered and almost ready upon arrival as we had a wedding. I was told this was tough because I should have raised it on Day 1. She knew I was out the door for a wedding.

I checked my room three times before leaving to make sure i'd left nothing behind. She said I left "dirty underwear" for them to clean up. If I left something behind it was an absolute oversight but she's used it against me to have a personal jibe and embarrass on my TripAdvisor.

She is the most disgusting woman i've met. So rude and nasty. I actually can't believe this is hospitality 2019.

She called me self entitled and spoilt and that I had anger issues. They guy suggested he'd clean the shower and I said no it's fine i'll clean it out myself. Is this the actions of someone who is spoilt and self entitled.

I stay in hostels all over the world. I am not a diva, or high maintenance and cannot believe this treatment.

It seems every bad review she gets on TripAdvisor she is rude and it's the customers fault or they are high maintenance and are rude to her staff.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

B&Bs are independent businesses so no, there isn't. There is a reason to stay in chain hotels if you want some level of comeback for problems!

Unless there was a do not disturb sign or equivalent out you should have locked the door so that isn't a valid complaint in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,451 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Always lock your door in a hotel or B&B.
    Key ring with two keys is normally one to access building one to access room.Not hard to figure out.
    The hair in the shower is not acceptable, sounds like sloppy housekeeping.
    The rest of it is "he said / she said".

I'd say put it down to experience and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

What are you hoping to achieve?
    Would it not be best to just let it go and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,150 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Since they have 267 excellent and very good reviews and only 11 poor or terrible, the balance of probability of whether you or they are right does seem to be a bit weighted towards them. And the sequence of events relating to where you left your bags and where you got ready is a bit confusing. I think I am inclined overall to believe the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Danni21

looksee wrote: »
    Since they have 267 excellent and very good reviews and only 11 poor or terrible, the balance of probability of whether you or they are right does seem to be a bit weighted towards them. And the sequence of events relating to where you left your bags and where you got ready is a bit confusing. I think I am inclined overall to believe the owner.

Well hair in the shower is disgusting. Not even an apology for that

• Advertisement

Brego888 wrote: »
    What are you hoping to achieve?
    Would it not be best to just let it go and move on.

An apology or acknowledgement of the poor service and hygiene standards at the time would have been more than enough. Getting a torrent of abuse and personal insults and a lie insinuating I flung a key at a member of staff is insane.

My god if I did that she should have asked me to leave. I would never in my life do something like this. I'm disgusted that she would lie about that.

Danni21 wrote: »
    Well hair in the shower is disgusting. Not even an apology for that

It's not nice to find hairs in a shower but if one of the housekeeping staff makes a mistake it can happen.
    They did offer to clean it which is about all they could do.
    An apology should have accompanied the offer to clean the shower.

elperello wrote: »
    It's not nice to find hairs in a shower but if one of the housekeeping staff makes a mistake it can happen.
    They did offer to clean it which is about all they could do.
    An apology should have accompanied the offer to clean the shower.

The owner told me it was my own fault for not reporting it the first day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Deub

There is nothing else you can do to change the situation except leaving a bad review which you already did.
    I think it is best to move on.

Deub wrote: »
    There is nothing else you can do to change the situation except leaving a bad review which you already did.
    I think it is best to move on.

I did and she basically lied in her response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Contact Failte Ireland. They look after registration and approval of B&Bs.
    Not sure if registration is mandatory though.

Obviously if it was dirty it needed to be dealt whenever it was reported.
    Dealing with customer complaints promptly and courteously is essential in a well run establishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Sounds awful. A strongly worded letter to the Minister for Tourism is required, something needs to be done!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I would always lock my door in a B&B, I don’t want drunk guests stumbling in at 3am or cleaning staff entering in the morning. Key situation, I wouldn’t have posted about that, reflects badly on your common sense. Hair in the shower is unacceptable, I’ve had it before in expensive hotels and have mentioned it at the desk.

But dirty underwear left for staff to pick up is absolutely gross, one oversight on their part, an unpleasant guest on your part.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

You didn't say what kind of hair or how many. The ambiguous "there was hair in the shower" and your disdain makes it read like it was choked with hair. But surely if that was the case you would have noticed and complained sooner.

If it was just the one hair it could have come a myriad of sources....from you, fell off your personal belongings such as a travel bag, make up case, hair brush, clothes that you changed into or out off. The chamber maids head as they closed the door on what was a freshly cleaned bathroom. From one of the wedding guests on to you and into the shower as you used the loo after a night out at an Irish wedding. It was the next day and the offending hair could have come from anywhere.
    Even perhaps transferred by one of the three staff that entered the room. You omitted to say whether they did or didn't knock first. I've never come across an establishment that didn't knock before entering. And to not lock the door is just plain naive, even if just to avoid it happening a second and again a third time.

In every situation there are 3 sides, yours, theirs and the truth. You tried to have your revenge, you've left them a bad review on tripadvisor, tried to badmouth them here with your link to the review, and asking others here are there any other platforms or ways to stick the knife in. (and please don't say your review was for altruistic reasons, to save someone else from the ordeal of staying there)

Move on, you're the one coming across as petty and all that the owner ascribed to you. I get this from what you have posted here. From that alone I would side more with the owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

How dirty was the underwear?!

Dav010 wrote: »
    I would always lock my door in a B&B, I don’t want drunk guests stumbling in at 3am or cleaning staff entering in the morning. Key situation, I wouldn’t have posted about that, reflects badly on your common sense. Hair in the shower is unacceptable, I’ve had it before in expensive hotels and have mentioned it at the desk.

But dirty underwear left for staff to pick up is absolutely gross, one oversight on their part, an unpleasant guest on your part.

I wouldn't describe underwear left behind as gross.
    It happens all the time in B&Bs and hotels.
    An item of underwear would be mild compared to some other things that get left behind.
    Housekeeping staff just pick it up and pop it into the rubbish bag without a second thought.

It definitely should not be mentioned in a reply to a Tripadvisor review.
    A certain level of professionalism is expected from management.

Where was this?

How dirty was the underwear?!

Is it just me or does that come across as pervy? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Is it just me or does that come across as pervy? :)

I was just wondering if a vet was required to remove them! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,324 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Tbh your post, tone and language would lead me to believe that I’d hear a different story from the B & B.

What time did the staff come in at ? Did they knock or where you asleep ? B and Bs usually have a early check out. Also the hair on day two could have come from any where.

What type B &B was it ? How many rooms?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

You should know if you left underwear behind. You would know how many items you brought with you how many items you had when you returned. The fact that you haven't denied it is suspicious.

ted1 wrote: »
    Tbh your post, tone and language would lead me to believe that I’d hear a different story from the B & B.

What time did the staff come in at ? Did they knock or where you asleep ? B and Bs usually have a early check out. Also the hair on day two could have come from any where.

What type B &B was it ? How many rooms?

That's true, a lot of B+B establishments are in a literal sense just that, a bed then breakfast and then out.
    It's been years but I do remember staying in one in Ireland and the landlady did expect you to leave after breakfast and not return until late that day, despite having booked the weekend. Quite different than hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Sue for defamation :pac:

I always loved the Michael Winner underpants bit on HIGNFY.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

4ensic15 wrote: »
    You should know if you left underwear behind. You would know how many items you brought with you how many items you had when you returned. The fact that you haven't denied it is suspicious.

Do you count your underwear before and after each trip?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Pkiernan wrote: »

Do you not just put in the number of days you're going plus one or two, no?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Pkiernan wrote: »

Yes. I make sure I bring enough and I avoid bringing too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I did and she basically lied in her response.

Says you !.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Yes. I make sure I bring enough and I avoid bringing too much.

No contingency pairs? Just in case? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Do you not just put in the number of days you're going plus one or two, no?

Go commando

Advertisement