Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The compost heap - off topic thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

A long time ago someone was asking how to create a shaded area (IIRC) or how to create a climbing frame for their peas and beans. I remembered this image, but I wasn't able to find it again at the time. Today I did. I think this is genius.

500236.jpg
    https://funsubstance.com/uploads/original/500/500236.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^

would that not attract alot of biting insects? midges and the like

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

No more than any other type of canopy/pergola, I wouldn't think. I've seen photos of green teepees made for children to play in using climbing vegetables, I'd say this is the same principle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's very groovy but in Ireland it's main use would be cover on a soft day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Woodies delivery notes

Pay the extra! :) DPD are so much better than Fastway in my experience.

Item arrived exactly as intended between 11 an 12.

• Advertisement

QUESTION: do birds build nests in laurel hedging??

Yes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is it just me, or are people posting more about problems with laurel this year than they have previously?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭atahuapla

Any one know where to get bags of subbase?
    Looking to replace a small patch of grass with slabs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Someone may have a better idea but maybe a couple of bags of the cheapest gravel you can find and a couple of bags of sand? How much you need depends on what's underneath, if its soil you could need a few though, at a guess you would only get a couple of slabs to a bag of gravel. I wonder if you live near me, I have 20 tonnes of gravel and pebbles to get rid of :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭macraignil

is it just me, or are people posting more about problems with laurel this year than they have previously?

Just started to look at the gardenersworld forum the last couple of years and it is a busier gardening forum than boards and since starting to look at it there has been a very regular posting of questions about laurel to the extent that some regular contributors seem fed up of the same questions about laurel and usually offer a link back to a thread on the topic that went into great detail over multiple pages. There was a good related post in the last couple of days from one experienced gardener who explained how their best success with laurel was in very poor ground and suggested a lot of these laurel appearance issues are likely to be caused by people trying too hard with their laurel and giving it nutrients they don't need and watering too regularly and lightly so the roots don't go deep to find water and nutrients like they should naturally do. Not cutting it back enough to generate vigorous new bushy growth was also highlighted as a common mistake.

I have some laurel that is the same this year as in other years and I also have noticed more posts here about laurel. I suspect the greater number of posts on boards is coming from people who are just starting to notice they have a garden since lock-down more than there being any new problem with laurel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

macraignil wrote: »
    people who are just starting to notice they have a garden since lock-down

:D

Some just starting to notice they've got families too! :pac:

Very off topic now, but I was watching a film this afternoon (it's raining :p ) that included some "posh house" locations, very reminiscent of those makeover programmes, and in conjunction with some other online conversations, was thinking that there seems to be a type of person (or couple, less commonly whole families) that only exists in their home environment, but doesn't really live there.

I think lockdown has made many people realise that that grassy/muddy/paved space outside the kitchen window is (could/should be) much more than a decorative backdrop to whatever time they spend at that address in daylight hours. Hopefully any such enlightenment will be permanent. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we were talking to the woman who runs hedgehog rescue dublin about this, and last summer was their busiest summer ever, due to lockdown. people at home finally getting round to jobs they'd been putting off for years (such as lifting collapsed old sheds nursing hedgehog mothers were under) or cutting/strimming places which had been left undisturbed for years, and killing or maiming hogs which had set up home there.

we were talking to the woman who runs hedgehog rescue dublin about this, and last summer was their busiest summer ever, due to lockdown. people at home finally getting round to jobs they'd been putting off for years (such as lifting collapsed old sheds nursing hedgehog mothers were under) or cutting/strimming places which had been left undisturbed for years, and killing or maiming hogs which had set up home there.

Ah that's sad! We have been trying to figure out which of the swiss cheese ditches around our garden are currently home to rabbits - the rabbits are still around but we think they have moved house over to the other side of the garden. So we stuffed one huge St Pancras Station type hole - the surface layer had collapsed and left a cavern about 15 inches across - with grass clippings. If the rabbits pushed their way out then the hole was still in use, and at the same time the cats would not go investigating it. So far the grass is still there.

that cheapo washing powder for killing surface moss - does it have to be bio or non bio or does it matter?

bio, i think, but if it's only a small patch, boiling water is cheap, quick, and instantaneous.

‘Strange’ and ‘unusual’ weather conditions expected this week
    Met Éireann warns of temperatures of minus three overnight as gardeners fear frost
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/strange-and-unusual-weather-conditions-expected-this-week-1.4555070

anyone watchin supergarden on RTE? fair bunch of airhead contestants they have this time around

btw - is Bloom going ahead this year?

• Advertisement

it's not.

so what's the point in the Supergarden TV show then?

quite an obvious frost here this morning (near DCU)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Stupid frost :/

We built a new flower bed last weekend. I was in the garden centre looking for pots on Monday, didn't find any pots but did come out with a load of plants to plant up the new bed. I got a bit over excited and planted everything out (stupid I know but it's my first proper flower bed:)). Silly old me knew the weather wasn't promised great but didn't realise till yesterday that frost was promised, so I spent the afternoon trying to find some frost blanket to protect dahlias. A local garden centre kindly gave me some used bits they had which was plenty to cover the main dahlias. But I completely forgot that 2 of the plants my daughter picked up were also dahlias and I didn't cover them :(

Bad week ahead weather wise - lower than average temps & blustery showers:(

One thing for sure, this year's weather is not a patch on last year's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Recent frosts were so bad here that even all the new ivy leaves are burnt off.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,037 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Recent frosts were so bad here that even all the new ivy leaves are burnt off.

We had -4/-5 overnight and loads of things that had started have since died back, my poor golden acer is looking very bare :(

Has anyone else found seedlings very slow to get going? They sprouted and were pricked out into trays and put in the cold frame. And there they sit, quite alive and perky but not growing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

looksee wrote: »
    Has anyone else found seedlings very slow to get going? They sprouted and were pricked out into trays and put in the cold frame. And there they sit, quite alive and perky but not growing.

Don't mention seedlings in my house. My wife has had all her sweat pea seedlings eaten TWICE now by mice, about €20 worth of seed later she is on her third try. If they had grown perhaps I could have commented on how quick they were to grow :o

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement