Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The compost heap - off topic thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Back garden not at all, prefer to let the wildflowers get thier moment in the sun.
    Fronts when needed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

*Insert obligatory "pain in the arse" joke.* :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

smacl wrote: »
    Ok, so I know that apples don't grow true from seed and fruit trees should be grafted on to suitable stock, but biting through a rather tasty Pink Lady last week I noticed a couple of the seed were sprouting. How long do you reckon before I get a crop from the latest additions to the orchard? :D

495752.jpg

So a little less than six months on and my seedlings are saplings. Thinking of trying to keep them potted to see if the root restriction will keep them small as I'm struggling for space in the garden. Was planning on passing them on to a friend with a tree farm but grown kind of fond of them.

512306.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

To paraphrase... "You're gonna need a bigger pot". :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

New Home wrote: »
    To paraphrase... "You're gonna need a bigger pot". :)

Yes indeed, temporary solution for lock down based on what I had to hand. Will see what I can find once the garden centres are open again.

I had a apple graft in a 20 litre pot for three years, it didn't die and it didn't thrive it just existed. As it was only a technical exercise that I had no intention of planting (no space, cooker, only have the one) I kept it far longer than than I should have so binned it on Friday and freed up a pot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nigel, monty don's dog, is now chasing tennis balls in doggy heaven.

512569.png

nigel, monty don's dog, is now chasing tennis balls in doggy heaven.

:(:(:(:(:(

Ah jasus that'll be a day of national mourning across the water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭finla

Aww. That's so sad. He was such a lovely dog. He had a good life though, I'd love to know how old he was.

Oh no,
    How am I going to break this to the missus :(
    She loves Nigal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

New Home wrote: »
    *Insert obligatory "pain in the arse" joke.* :o

Ah no that would be unkind to the Gnome and it really wasn't his fault!

finla wrote: »
    Aww. That's so sad. He was such a lovely dog. He had a good life though, I'd love to know how old he was.
    He died a week short of his 12th birthday according to Wikipedia.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

So sad, he was such a star in the show. Poor Monty, must be devastating. He’ll be dearly missed. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I think there might be a lag of a week between recording and airing of Gardeners World. I don’t think I’ll be able to watch tomorrow if so, it’ll break my heart!

My back garden Laurel has the look of drought conditions about it. Yellowing leaves and a generally wilted, can't be bothered to grow vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,037 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

My back garden Laurel has the look of drought conditions about it. Yellowing leaves and a generally wilted, can't be bothered to grow vibe.

I moved a Laurel tree late last year and its the same. No new growth at all, I was wondering if it hadnt made the journey well and have been watering it by hand frequently. No drop off but just zero action.

A holly tree that I moved before the laurel is showing significant drop off and dying back and I'm really having to keep on top of anything in pots, I have had about 1 inch of rain the last 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,037 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

smacl wrote: »
    So a little less than six months on and my seedlings are saplings. Thinking of trying to keep them potted to see if the root restriction will keep them small as I'm struggling for space in the garden. Was planning on passing them on to a friend with a tree farm but grown kind of fond of them.

You could espalier them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

wonder what happened to Nigel...it said he got ill suddenly & died...ate a slug? aren't they poisonous to dogs?

he was 12, so not especially young.
    slugs are not poisonous to dogs. they can cause lungworm, but that's not generally a cause of sudden illness, AFAIK.

Big old dogs like Retrievers and similar tend to get cancer and as with humans it's often not at all obvious then a sudden decline.

Why are gardening tools so often green and brown!? :mad:

They should all be banana yellow with a built in beeper

my secateurs were once found about a fortnight after going missing, had been dropped into a herbaceous bed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

my secateurs were once found about a fortnight after going missing, had been dropped into a herbaceous bed.

Every day is a new adventure finding my stuff. I'm a very casual gardener so going out every day to maintain it is a new experience for me and at the end of the day I can not tell you the last place I left anything.

I'm terrible for putting things down and immediately forgetting. I need one of those massive belts full of of hooks and clips.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I'm always gung-ho on making things as economical as possible, you'd be more likely to find me stapling loops to an existing functional belt than buying one. This year I spent thirty quid on seeds I didn't already have plants to harvest for seeds, made cubic tonnes of my own compost and I'm rotating the limited number of pots and planting space.

I could really use a rake though. My birthday is in four months time :D

Rain :) But I hope anyone with delicate potted seedlings took them in cos the drops are very big tonight and there's a lot of them.

• Advertisement

Spilt some seeds when doing spicy salad leaves

I'm going to leave them just to see how much of a crop they yield!

357CP.jpg

Advertisement