Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Blueshoe wrote:
    The EU are rightfully digging their heels in too. The don't want to make it easy lest another member might decide to leave.

EU membership brings both benefits and obligations. If a member thinks the benefits are not worth the obligations it is free to leave and give up both.

The UK seems to find that hard to understand but the EU explaining it to them is not "digging their heels in".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Very few are neutral.

I tend to follow the likes of Tony Connelly, who is fastidiously factual and neutral in his reporting of events and in his analysis. Routinely examining both sides.

Same. Tony is vital reading.

Nobody like him in British media and that’s their loss.

Facts. Not rumors and agenda

• Registered Users Posts: 67,504 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Sounds good. Il check him out. Media neutrality doesn't exist anymore unfortunately or is rare.

Someone might be consuming left sided news and someone else right sided. How can they ever find middle ground if they only hear one side.

The media are at fault for much of the division too.

Take fox news for example. They are off the charts biased right. Some people only watch fox and take that view as gospel. A friend of mine only watches RT. Swears by it. Talk about bias.

Rte are also not to be trusted. Most of us know this.

I think most people are fairly center. Little to the left on somethings and little to the right on the other. It's the media which can swing the narrative

Odd that you recognise this but see no dangers in what is happening in the UK right now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Odd that you recognise this but see no dangers in what is happening in the UK right now.

Not really. Your views are different to mine. The world keeps on turning

Except you’re in the feedback thread complaining about right wing accounts with warped racist views being banned off boards.

Boards world keeps turning. It’s just shaking off the parasites trying to sow division and create conflict.

• Advertisement

Except you’re in the feedback thread complaining about right wing accounts with warped racist views being banned off boards.

Boards world keeps turning. It’s just shaking off the parasites trying to sow division and create conflict.

Good. Ban them all. One view, one outlook and one opinion is the way to go. Boards will go from strength to strength when everyone agrees with one another.

Don't be trying to get me in trouble now. Thanks

Are right wing view accounts allowed or is it just the ones with "warped right wing" views that aren't?
    Or is there a difference in your mind?

Good. Ban them all. One view, one outlook and one opinion is the way to go. Boards will go from strength to strength when everyone agrees with one another.

Don't be trying to get me in trouble now. Thanks

You can hold a different view. If you’re gonna be a racist asshole anywhere you’re gonna meet trouble. That’s on those doing it. Not those unwilling to allow it.
    And correct. Racist views will be wiped out everywhere and these idiots hiding behind keyboards trying to post it will find themselves digitally homeless apart from their 4chan echo chambers.

I’m not trying to get you in trouble. You’re doing that yourself defending racists in questioning mods decisions on the thread I mentioned.

But. Of course. You know that.

The Nazis were clear that the wanted to end democracy. The UK is leaving the EU based on a flawed but democratic vote. The Nazis were totalitarians, Johnson probably isn’t. The Nazis had corporate support, the Brexiters don’t.

Because Brexiteers share many of the earlier mentioned tactical similarities of German populists in the late 1920s/early 1930s does not mean they must share every single one of them. If they shared every feature precisely they would be Nazis, rather than populists using many of their tactics.
    Corbyn isn’t enabling a coup, he merely agreed to respect the vote after it was cast.

By not putting forward any coherent opposition to the Brexiteers, he very much is allowing them to interpret the 2016 referendum as broadly as it suits them and in that sense very much is enabling their coup of conventional parliamentary democracy. As the main opposition leader he has failed categorically to represent the 48% of the population which voted against Brexit. He has had a fake opposition going about Brexit, rather than served as the leader of opposition to it.

The Nazis geared up for war, the brexiters are often little englanders, the Nazis wanted a world empire, the brexiters want to leave the EU, the Nazis rebuilt the country and army with massive state spending, the brexiters are threatening to reduce the state.

Brexit is just unfolding. The Nazis didn't explicitly focus on rearmament from January 1933 when they came to power. Rather they did it covertly through dummy companies like MEFO until 1935 when rearmament became explicit. Moreover, and this is where another parallel with German populism is, judging by the scapegoating to date by the time this finishes the EU will have been scapegoated for everything bad in British history and the Brexiteers will feel as victimised as the average SA member in 1932. There's no doubt that they are cultivating, at an alarming rate, a "poor us" victim mentality in England at the moment and portraying the EU/French/Germans as some great ogre undermining poor little England. (It's most unlikely in 2019 that Britain would engage in an arms race à la the Nazis, and much more likely that it will try and fail to become some low tax area undermining the EU from outside it.). Just as the Nazis fed that sense of victimhood, Britain's populists today feed on it.

The entire Brexit process is predicated upon its ability to scapegoat outsiders for domestic British problems, most of which were created by the free-market politics of Tories like Thatcher, and not by the EU at all. All populists need their scapegoats, to be able to lie and hoodwink millions of ignorant people, and Brexiteers are absolutely no different.

Arguments to Nazi are always crap.

Not necessarily; what's worse is thinking that what the Nazis did is something that only happens "over there" somewhere and could not happen in our societies (which has been the general view in Anglo-American world). It fails to acknowledge that Germany in 1933 had one of the most advanced and educated societies in the world, yet the Nazis still came to power. The same demonisation of outsiders, lies, scapegoating of outsiders and misuse of law and democracy to advance injustice and limit democracy - e.g. the latest Brexit stunt in parliament - are the sine qua non upon which such enormous crimes were perpetrated in years following their rise to power.

The argument here is that any democratic Party that gets close to the 1933 Nazi total is Nazi?

No; the claim was that the Brexiteers won a vote and thus were unlike the Nazis. It's therefore very pertinent to point out that the Nazis won a greater proportion of the German vote in the March 1933 election than the Tories won of the British vote in the 2017 election. Therefore, the "British populists in 2019 are not like German populists in the 1930s because they were elected" line is not exactly the smartest argument for Brexiteers to put forward to people who have read history.

You can hold a different view. If you’re gonna be a racist asshole anywhere you’re gonna meet trouble. That’s on those doing it. Not those unwilling to allow it.
    And correct. Racist views will be wiped out everywhere and these idiots hiding behind keyboards trying to post it will find themselves digitally homeless apart from their 4chan echo chambers.

I’m not trying to get you in trouble. You’re doing that yourself defending racists in questioning mods decisions on the thread I mentioned.

Where are these racist comments I keep hearing about?
    Can anyone link some? Maybe not here though as the thread is being derailed.

Back to Brexit. Iv said my bit. I'll be the one who gets in trouble if it keeps going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You showed your hand there

Brexit isn’t a left or right issue in at sense whatsoever. It has been co opted by elements of the far right to spread a hateful divisive agenda

But I’m sure you know nothing about that

Sooner or later, you're going to have screaming "Naziiii's" at everyone.

Your view seems to be: Deliver Brexit and to hell with how that is done.

Your view seems to be: Deliver Brexit and to hell with how that is done.

That's your opinion of what your view is of my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Where are these racist comments I keep hearing about?
    Can anyone link some? Maybe not here though as the thread is being derailed.

Back to Brexit. Iv said my bit. I'll be the one who gets in trouble if it keeps going
    I cant believe that a powerful country like great britian can not just leave the EU, why did depaffel go on on tour of European capitals, why didn't he just take britian out, what's he waiting for?

I cant believe that a powerful country like great britian can not just leave the EU, why did depaffel go on on tour of European capitals, why didn't he just take britian out, what's he waiting for?

I wonder what happens when the EU forces tax harmonisation and the Uk decides to lower it's corporation tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

They keep saying they’re ready for no deal- so why not leave next week with No Deal and get on with it instead of October 31st?

I wonder what happens when the EU forces tax harmonisation and the Uk decides to lower it's corporation tax.

What do you think will happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah yeah but why don't the t Brits leave, their people voted to leave and depaffel wants to leave?

Yeah yeah but why don't the t Brits leave, their people voted to leave and depaffel wants to leave?

• Advertisement

Don't be worrying ur old head about our tax rates your people voted to leave the EU, and you have ignored the will of the people for 3 years your going down a slippery slope

Don't be worrying ur old head about our tax rates your people voted to leave the EU, and you have ignored the will of the people for 3 years your going down a slippery slope

I'm from Westmeath.

Are all Irish people pro EU?

I'm from Westmeath.

Are all Irish people pro EU?
    U sound like a t brit

U sound like a t brit

You can't spell words. You even manage to defy auto correct.
    Such is life.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

fat zombie wrote: »
    The proroguing of the government was giving the go ahead by The Queen, ergo the establishment is in favour of a no deal Brexit.
    At 10pm on 31/10 the EU will bend the knee, and screw Ireland, 5 million micks versus the 66 million UK market??
    we are screwed!!!
    Money talks!!

It's in the interest of the EU to make the UK an example of if you leave the club that you don't get any discussion favours.

Only the English think their country is still running the enpire. They're just about to find out how much they aren't.

Boris is desperate to get a deal preferably before leaving but will go to an election afterwards to dunno the DUP dependency so they can have the sea border.

The EU knows this, that the UK is in such a weak position after leaving with only a trade deal with the faroes

There are t brits in Westmeath, we need to take back control of our borders just like britian is doing sorry trying to do

Only one thing worse that a brit, that's a west brit

U sound like a t brit

You can't spell words. You even manage to defy auto correct.
    Such is life.
    The t is for tan

The t is for tan

So what exactly are you calling me?
    And why?

Lay it out clearly for all to see.

• Advertisement

The t is for tan

So what exactly are you calling me?