Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antifa [Mod Warning on post #1 - updated 08/08/19]

Options

Comments

I actually consider the intolerance of others' ideas to be pretty bad too..

I think you can tell when someone is being driven by compassion or hate..
    A lot of the antifa types are being driven by hate..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/2020/07/iconic-portland-elk-statue-removed-from-downtown-after-fire-set-during-protest.html

These heroic revolutionaries were even attacking a statue of an elk. I don't blame them, elk's are well known for their support of the Reich.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

TomTomTim wrote: »
    https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/2020/07/iconic-portland-elk-statue-removed-from-downtown-after-fire-set-during-protest.html

These heroic revolutionaries were even attacking a statue of an elk. I don't blame them, elk's are well known for their support of the Reich.

Probably incorrectly linked to the elk lodges which were historically racist/exclusionary organizations

• Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Overheal wrote: »
    Probably incorrectly linked to the elk lodges which were historically racist/exclusionary organizations

It was there, that is often the height of analysis for these mobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

That's obviously the reason :rolleyes:

Vandals always get their research spot on prior to mindless acts of destruction.

• Advertisement

Bonniedog wrote: »
    That's obviously the reason :rolleyes:

Vandals always get their research spot on prior to mindless acts of destruction.

But actually.

You’re not American I assume and aren’t seemingly aware of the pervasiveness of the elk lodges etc. but it would be common enough of people to know these clubs had for the longest time been whites only and even well into the 90s were still seeing high profile stories of discriminating against black members joining at a number of the lodges. So, people in these crowds would be able to casually associate an elk statue with elk lodges and their discriminatory nature.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I actually consider the intolerance of others' ideas to be pretty bad too..

I think you can tell when someone is being driven by compassion or hate..
    A lot of the antifa types are being driven by hate..

Some ideas are terrible ideas. Why do we have to tolerate them? You yourself have very little tolerance of Antifa's ideas, that doesn't make you a bigot though.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    Some ideas are terrible ideas. Why do we have to tolerate them? You yourself have very little tolerance of Antifa's ideas, that doesn't make you a bigot though.

Not really, I would have been quite(very) left wing for a long time..I would have more of an issue with their modus operandi..I do think their ideology has maybe become a bit too far removed from reality..

What is a bigot then?

Oh absolutely Mike. I'm assuming you are referring to the tolerance paradox or is there another one I'm too stupid to understand the complexities of?

You are incredibly intelligent I'm sure and you know that the general plebs don't realise you need be intolerant of intolerance... It's just that you need to be able to clearly define what intolerance is.

Antifa and the like claim it would be proud boys et al who are the intolerant ones, whereas I say that antifa are absolute ****s that shouldn't be tolerated.

It is my opinion from brians postings on this thread, that Brian deems my opinion either stupid or false and would be tolerant of antifa.

I believe him to be bigoted. That's not necessarily an insult. I admit I am intolerant to a lot of bull**** too. It's just all dependant on one person's views on what constitutes bull****.

I know it's a different thread but we have people on other threads screaming bigot at the people who only believe in two sexes. Would that be included in your paradox of "intolerance"?

You seem to think I'm insulting you when I am not. I don't think you or your opinion is stupid. I think it's a false narrative that you've swallowed from liars and bigots who can't stomach anyone standing up to them or drawing attention to their activities. They've created the Antifa bogeyman and you're falling for it.

That a not to say Antifa are saints. They too often become violent.

I am not tolerant of violence, ever, which is why I don't actively support Antifa. Meeting intolerance with violence is a terrible idea. Passive resistance would be my preferred reaction.

Realistically Antifa are a largely ineffective non entity. They are not a terrorist threat of any kind. Unless it's to statues of course.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

But actually.

You’re not American I assume and aren’t seemingly aware of the pervasiveness of the elk lodges etc. but it would be common enough of people to know these clubs had for the longest time been whites only and even well into the 90s were still seeing high profile stories of discriminating against black members joining at a number of the lodges. So, people in these crowds would be able to casually associate an elk statue with elk lodges and their discriminatory nature.

They are a bit like the Lions and Rotary clubs. Harmless diversions for middle class old boys and raise money for charity.

Most institutions including the Democratic Party which is manipulating and bankrolling the BLM/antifa scum have some sort of racist skeleton in their cupboard.

I seriously doubt however that this was reason for attacking the poor oul elk!

These are same assholes who attacked a statue of a 13th century French saint
    who didn't even know there was such a thing as America.

What’s this about a French saint?

What is a bigot then?

Do you think this is worthwhile? Honestly what’s the point of this kind of pettiness?

they/them/theirs

Bonniedog wrote: »

Most institutions including the Democratic Party which is manipulating and bankrolling the BLM/antifa scum have some sort of racist skeleton in their cupboard.

You’re stating it as a fact that the Democrats are funding BLM/Antifa. Is there any proof for this?

they/them/theirs

Do you think this is worthwhile? Honestly what’s the point of this kind of pettiness?

The point is/was that you claimed that it easy to avoid being called a bigot and were more than a little condescending to the person you addressed it to.

I'm asking you to define what a bigot is. Because from what I can garner from your posts, a bigot is someone who disagrees with you and your point of views and you can't seem to accept that you are a different cheek of the same ****ty arse when it comes to bigotry.

My argument that that word, along with racist, has become sadly so diluted through over use, it has begun to mean nothing which is counter productive and dangerous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

The paradox of intolerance might be too complex a topic for the people in this thread tbh.

the paradox of shoelaces would be too complex for quite a few here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

My argument that that word, along with racist, has become sadly so diluted through over use, it has begun to mean nothing which is counter productive and dangerous.

when-everyone-is-racist-no-one-is.jpg

The point is/was that you claimed that it easy to avoid being called a bigot and were more than a little condescending to the person you addressed it to.

Intentionally condescending, yes. It’s very easy to avoid being called a bigot and a racist.
    I'm asking you to define what a bigot is. Because from what I can garner from your posts, a bigot is someone who disagrees with you and your point of views and you can't seem to accept that you are a different cheek of the same ****ty arse when it comes to bigotry.

If you want to make up an entirely new definition for bigotry, then you can classify me as a bigot. But disagreeing with people doesn’t make anyone a bigot. Pointing out stupidity doesn’t either.

You are right about one thing, the term racist is over used. I very rarely use it because of this.

I would say that the incidences of racism and bigotry, especially online, are increasing though. Every thread in CA has some flavours of it. To deny that is to stick your head in the sand.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

If you want to make up an entirely new definition for bigotry, then you can classify me as a bigot. But disagreeing with people doesn’t make anyone a bigot. Pointing out stupidity doesn’t either.

You are right about one thing, the term racist is over used. I very rarely use it because of this.

I would say that the incidences of racism and bigotry, especially online, are increasing though. Every thread in CA has some flavours of it. To deny that is to stick your head in the sand.
    A new definition of bigotry? But isn't it being redefined and recomputed every second, like a virtue bitcoin being generated by people. So you see how easy it is? Just redefine language and the righteous mob have all the ammo they need. Redefining what is or isn't racist based on whether you support BLM or redefining if it is OK to use coloured - then you get attacked, and that's what happened to me and probably loads of people.

I think philosophers dedicated their lives to examine human behaviour and plunge the depths of consciousness, deeply examining human behaviour
    Nowadays, we have an idea burped out after breakfast in silicon valley, immediately hits the screens on millions of people who skim it, make the shallowest decision and post, never really questioning what they are liking promoting or demoting. There's little courage to confront, only eagerness to follow. Every discussion practically starts with a retreat to the moral high ground rather than at least ending there.
    I think people are sick of the lie of political correctness. Like the Fermi paradox if these people really want the best for humanity, why are they so devoid of it?
    Nasty nasty people can't hide behind the cloak of a cause, tourettsing out their hate.

A new definition of bigotry? But isn't it being redefined and recomputed every second, like a virtue bitcoin being generated by people. So you see how easy it is? Just redefine language and the righteous mob have all the ammo they need. Redefining what is or isn't racist based on whether you support BLM or redefining if it is OK to use coloured - then you get attacked, and that's what happened to me and probably loads of people.

Are you equally as outraged at the dunne redefining the term bigot to include me? You should be if this makes you angry.

I think philosophers dedicated their lives to examine human behaviour and plunge the depths of consciousness, deeply examining human behaviour
    Nowadays, we have an idea burped out after breakfast in silicon valley, immediately hits the screens on millions of people who skim it, make the shallowest decision and post, never really questioning what they are liking promoting or demoting. There's little courage to confront, only eagerness to follow. Every discussion practically starts with a retreat to the moral high ground rather than at least ending there.
    I think people are sick of the lie of political correctness. Like the Fermi paradox if these people really want the best for humanity, why are they so devoid of it?
    Nasty nasty people can't hide behind the cloak of a cause, tourettsing out their hate.

Have you tried ignoring it and getting on with life until it actually effects you in a real world situation? That's what I do.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Are you equally as outraged at the dunne redefining the term bigot to include me? You should be if this makes you angry.

Have you tried ignoring it and getting on with life until it actually effects you in a real world situation? That's what I do.

I did not redefine any term Brian. Its the dictionary definition.

"a person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I do believe a lot of the worst of humanity hide behind a just cause, they know they are bad so hope by taking up virtuous activism it will purify them of their sins, it is the same reason a lot of male feminists end up being found out to be sexual abusers. I think a lot in Antifa just want to see the world burn and it is easy to not be called a bigot if your side/group is the ones calling everyone a bigot.

I did not redefine any term Brian. Its the dictionary definition.

"a person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions."

That's not quite right though is it?

Definition of bigot
    : a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices

they/them/theirs

That's not quite right though is it?

Definition of bigot
    : a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices

The one I copied and pasted was the first that came up in my search. Says it's from the Oxford dictionary

My point being, I did not redefine any term.

The one I copied and pasted was the first that came up in my search. Says it's from the Oxford dictionary

No however you picked the vaguest available definition of it to shoehorn it into places it doesn’t really fit.

No however you picked the vaguest available definition of it to shoehorn it into places it doesn’t really fit.

(Or the first search result which was one from a globally recognised dictionary)

But thank you for confirming that Brian was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,353 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

can you link to that definition?

the OED definition i can find says
    From the second edition (1989):
    bigot, n. and a.
    (ˈbɪgət) [a. F. bigot, of unknown origin: see below.]

A. n.

†1. a. A hypocritical professor of religion, a hypocrite. b. A superstitious adherent of religion.

1598 Speght Chaucer, Bigin, bigot, superstitious hypocrite [1602 adds or hypocriticall woman]. 1653 Urquhart Rabelais i. xl, He is no bigot or hypocrite. 1656 Blount Glossogr., Bigot (Fr.), an hypocrite, or one that seems much more holy then he is, also a scrupulous or Superstitious fellow. 1664 H. More Myst. Iniq. 436 One part of their Church becomes Sotts and Bigots.

2. A person obstinately and unreasonably wedded to a particular religious creed, opinion, or ritual.

1661 Cowley Cromwell Wks. II. 655 He was rather a well-meaning and deluding Bigot, than a crafty and malicious Impostor. 1741 Watts Improv. Mind i. Wks. (1813) 14 A dogmatist in religion is not a long way off from a bigot. 1844 Stanley Arnold II. viii. 13 [Dr. Arnold] was almost equally condemned, in London as a bigot, and in Oxford as a latitudinarian.

b. transf. (Of other than religious opinions.)

1687 Congreve Old Bach. i. v, Yet is adored by that bigot Sir Joseph Wittol as the image of valour. 1838 Hallam Hist. Lit. i. vii. §14 I. 395 Lord Bacon, certainly no bigot to Aristotle. 1863 Kingsley Water-Bab. vi. 290 The children of Prometheus are‥the bigots, and the bores.

3. Comb., as bigot-maker.

a1720 Sheffield (Dk. Buckhm.) Wks. (1753) II. 155 The best of all the Bigot-makers that ever I read of.

B. adj. [Often merely attrib. use of n.]

1623 Ld. Herbert in Ellis Orig. Lett. i. 298 III. 164 The most common censure, even of the bigot party. 1680 Dryden Kind Kpr. Ep. Ded., In a Country more Bigot than ours. 1751 Smollett Per. Pic. lxii, The crazed Tory, the bigot Whig. 1844 Kinglake Eothen xxvii. (1878) 345 Old bigot zeal against Christians.

(Or the first search result which was one from a globally recognised dictionary)

But thank you for confirming that Brian was wrong.

No his definition is spot on, yours is an obvious attempt at a dig despite your plea that it was “the first search result from bla bla bla words to make myself feel smug search engine”

No his definition is spot on, yours is an obvious attempt at a dig despite your plea that it was “the first search result from bla bla bla words to make myself feel smug search engine”

Good man. You believe what you want.

And to be honest, I may have been wrong.

When I checked again after being asked by ohnonotgmail, I noticed that while it was the first one that popped up, it says it is from Oxford Languages, which is Lexico, which is part of the Oxford University Press, who publish the Oxford Dictionary.

Armed with this information, I concede that the definition I gave in good faith may be a more simplistic version than the one in the Oxford Dictionary proper (I think Lexico is mainly used for bilingual Spanish speakers) I would still say it is not unreasonable to call it a definition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,353 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Good man. You believe what you want.

And to be honest, I may have been wrong.

When I checked again after being asked by ohnonotgmail, I noticed that while it was the first one that popped up, it says it is from Oxford Languages, which is Lexico, which is part of the Oxford University Press, who publish the Oxford Dictionary.

Armed with this information, I concede that the definition I gave in good faith may be a more simplistic version than the one in the Oxford Dictionary proper (I think Lexico is mainly used for bilingual Spanish speakers) I would still say it is not unreasonable to call it a definition.

i would say it is not reasonable to call it the correct definition. and perhaps you could share the link.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement