Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magpies tormenting the dog

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Magpies seem to becoming very brave and unafraid of humans lately - they're beautiful birds but wow, that racket they make is horrendous.

OP your dog is just so cute! No advise, since hes a timid little dog, all you can do is go out to the garden with him and scare off the magpies before they can swoop down and scare him...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

I love the magpies (and the crows),

Could you take him out with an umbrella OP? They're quick learners and if they figure out that he'll be accompanied by an umbrella waving human if they go for him they might back off. I'm in the middle of farmland and the farmers reckon magpies and crows are among the most trainable birds - if they have a negative experience they might just leave him alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

someone I was telling about this mentioned a cull? I just checked google and there is a furore about magpies which are classed as vermin in the UK

have a look? They seem to be way out of control.

Choc Chip wrote: »
    I love the magpies (and the crows),

Could you take him out with an umbrella OP? They're quick learners and if they figure out that he'll be accompanied by an umbrella waving human if they go for him they might back off. I'm in the middle of farmland and the farmers reckon magpies and crows are among the most trainable birds - if they have a negative experience they might just leave him alone.

A visitor when I had the initial trouble watched magpies fly as far as the boundary to my land and turn away.... NOT WELCOME had been the message.

Local lore avers that magpies and crows will not co-exist and that was the case here when magpies tried to move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭magicray

Thanks for all the advice and its good to know I am not on my own, I agree that they are beautiful birds having seen them up close this year, two of them were actually playing with a little teddy bear belong to Toby the other day - I was raging I didnt have my phone handy to record them

We are supervising him when he goes out now and are shoo-ing them away if them try to swoop down, I'll get up into the attic at the weekend and see can I find any old cds to hang from the line to see if that makes any difference but hopefully they will just move on

• Advertisement

magicray wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice and its good to know I am not on my own, I agree that they are beautiful birds having seen them up close this year, two of them were actually playing with a little teddy bear belong to Toby the other day - I was raging I didnt have my phone handy to record them

We are supervising him when he goes out now and are shoo-ing them away if them try to swoop down, I'll get up into the attic at the weekend and see can I find any old cds to hang from the line to see if that makes any difference but hopefully they will just move on

Great PMA ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,243 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

There is a flock of magpies in my area. Very noisy and dirty. My main issue is I used to have thrushes and robins in my garden before these guys came along. All gone now. They may look beautiful but I have seen them gang up and attack one of their own. More than likely its protective but it looks so nasty.
    I go out and clap my hands and shout a few words and they fly away. My neighbours will think I am going a bit loopy but I would rather have them think that than have those birds in my garden . Would prefer the thrushes and robins anyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

That's two posts I have deleted now as their content was inappropriate for this forum. If there is any more talk of hunting, shooting magpies or larson traps, infractions will be handed out.

Just for the record - my post didn't say I shot or hunted them.
    A few loud shots will scare them away and they won't come around again.

That's two posts I have deleted now as their content was inappropriate for this forum. If there is any more talk of hunting, shooting magpies or larson traps, infractions will be handed out.

admitting I had never heard of larsen traps; looked them up and am not happy.

Advertisement