Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magpies tormenting the dog

Options
  • 01-07-2019 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

I know this sounds beyond crazy but our little dog is being tormented by magpies living in a neighbours tree

They are swooping down at him everytime he goes outside, as he is an indoor dog just goes out to do his business etc and we feed him inside so there isnt any food outside

He barks at them but they are brazen :eek:

Its got to the stage where he is reluctant to go outside at all and we cant be having that

Anyone any ideas to scare them away

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

They hate noise. I mean loud noise. I was advised to deter them by banging metal pans together loudly when they gave trouble. And I mean LOUD.

They would swoop at the pine marten who shared where i lived when she was raising young. And took a live kitten once.

At that house I chased them off totally. and at other places. I was advised re the noise I think online?

PS see my second post re possible because nesting and seeing the dog as a threat? If so then when the brood leaves the nest the problem should ease?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭magicray

Thanks Graces my neighbours will think I have gone mad I will try anything to get rid of them

The barking noise doesn't seem to bother them one bit

magicray wrote: »
    Thanks Graces my neighbours will think I have gone mad I will try anything to get rid of them

The barking noise doesn't seem to bother them one bit

I hear you; I had no neighbours...

The dog is alive; either a threat or prey? although in other houses when I then had a dog, she would start barking when she heard them and they would depart.

Has it always been like this or just since eg they started nesting/raising young? If the latter then it could be limited? When the brood has flown it should stop.

If so then hang on in there and take care with the dog; how big is the dog?

ah he is only a little terrier mix (imagine something between a yorkie and a westie) , its only the last few weeks - he is far from a threat to them I just dont like the way the fly down at him - I'm afraid they will peck at him and that will be the end of him going outside at all

He is a little rescue dog and has always been on the nervous side anyway

This is him

• Advertisement

This is him

Oh what a sweetie! Aww!

May well be just while the birds have young?
    The timing is right

so they see him as a threat? Can you take him out where they cannot see him? Just this next while? See what others here think too?

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Graces7 wrote: »
    Oh what a sweetie! Aww!

May well be just while the birds have young?
    The timing is right

so they see him as a threat? Can you take him out where they cannot see him? Just this next while? See what others here think too?

We have the same issue, I've taken to spraying water at the magpie. There is one in particular who taunts our little fella.
    I've heard of them blinding dogs by pecking eyes.
    I'm not taking that risk!
    I'm going to start throwing stones at the bloody thing soon.

We do take him out for walks all right but he still needs to wee, we only have a smallish garden so there isnt anywhere for him to hide from them unfortunately

Maybe I'll try the hose at them next time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Have the same problem at home.
    Will suggest the noise solution.
    They’re cheeky buggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I saw them doing it to mine last week, even pecking their arses :eek: so not a good idea with Border Terriers. In all the years I have had Borders I have never seen them so brazen. One got too close & boom! One little shake & it was gone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

We had issues with them last year cause our neighbour had a shiny table on his balcony & we are south facing so they use to sweep down and steal anything shiny including a rain chain.

Banging pots is the best idea & it’s kind of fun :)

em_cat wrote: »
    We had issues with them last year cause our neighbour had a shiny table on his balcony & we are south facing so they use to sweep down and steal anything shiny including a rain chain.

Banging pots is the best idea & it’s kind of fun :)

I was worried I might be accused of cruelty to magpies!
    Sorry there are so many issues with them.

I started banging pans etc before they nested; as soon as they landed anywhere near, out I went. My wee dog ; I trained her, "SEE Em OFF!"and she was so good at it. bless her.

We have no trees on the island at this end so no magpies; they tried to move in once but the crows and seagulls ousted them.

One tried to get my wedding rings once while I was doing my window box gardening and I freaked out. I don’t think it’s cruel to protect your own as long as you do it humanely.

One tried to get my wedding rings once while I was doing my window box gardening and I freaked out. I don’t think it’s cruel to protect your own as long as you do it humanely.

Now that is cheeky! REALlY!

I was concerned re the nesting possibility is all. Lost a kitten to them way back.. and the racket they make!

Now that is cheeky! REALlY!

I was concerned re the nesting possibility is all. Lost a kitten to them way back.. and the racket they make!

Ahh here we’re in dub city centre, theyed be going after anything shiny as I well learned. We also get the noise of the gulls fighting over us when rain is moving in and diving into the court yard cause someone throws her dinners out there. We’ve a lot more dogs in our block than we use too so you can get them like they are saying to each ahhhhhh did you see it! No well I did ‘ark ‘ark ‘ark!

I’ve got a thing about birds, don’t like them caged but also terrified of them flying above me. Did you ever watch Hitchcocks the Birds?

Ahh here we’re in dub city centre, theyed be going after anything shiny as I well learned. We also get the noise of the gulls fighting over us when rain is moving in and diving into the court yard cause someone throws her dinners out there. We’ve a lot more dogs in our block than we use too so you can get them like they are saying to each ahhhhhh did you see it! No well I did ‘ark ‘ark ‘ark!

I’ve got a thing about birds, don’t like them caged but also terrified of them flying above me. Did you ever watch Hitchcocks the Birds?

re Hitchcock.. probably way back but very few films have any lasting effect on me. The one exception was the "Pet Semetary" that is sheer evil..

I am fine with birds; love when they fly around me and come close, but not magpies. tis the din they make

BLISSFULLY quiet out here. Rarely din from gulls even and sweet music from skylark...perfect place for me...

Glad I posted now I was afraid you would all think I was nuts :o

I was looking out the window this morning when I let him out for a wee and watched the magpie tormenting him , wasn't banging pots at 7am there would be a thread about me being a noisy neighbour

re Hitchcock.. probably way back but very few films have any lasting effect on me. The one exception was the "Pet Semetary" that is sheer evil..

I am fine with birds; love when they fly around me and come close, but not magpies. tis the din they make

BLISSFULLY quiet out here. Rarely din from gulls even and sweet music from skylark...perfect place for me...

It does sound lovely even when you post about the wild weather you get :)

Glad I posted now I was afraid you would all think I was nuts :o

I was looking out the window this morning when I let him out for a wee and watched the magpie tormenting him , wasn't banging pots at 7am there would be a thread about me being a noisy neighbour

lol. I think the noise ban is 11 pm to 6 am!

I knew you were not nuts but am amazed at the scale of the problem. After the kitten was killed I got proactive so quickly the birds did not stand a chance... One peep and that was it...

It does sound lovely even when you post about the wild weather you get :)

It is lovely but few would choose to live so remotely as this. You have to be very well organised and resilient. Some local worthies who have cause to visit hate coming and we never see a Garda .. ;)

My wee dog was utterly happy here. I have some lovely memories. Where we lived before there was no where to walk her but here...

I have a weblog; not allowed to post it here but it is on my address page and on the weblog thread.

And no unruly magpies allowed! I listened to the "argument" that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Try a fake hawk or an ultrasonic repellent?

Hoboo wrote: »
    Try a fake hawk or an ultrasonic repellent?

We tried the fake hawk, but that drove the dogs insane and the gulls kept dive bombing it so back to banging pots...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

The magpies are clever. I witnessed my cat getting strategically surrounded by them, it was pretty impressive.

We tried the fake hawk, but that drove the dogs insane and the gulls kept dive bombing it so back to banging pots...

Shouting as you bang the pots works even better ;) As I said I had and have no neighbours..

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

GooglePlus wrote:
    The magpies are clever. I witnessed my cat getting strategically surrounded by them, it was pretty impressive.

They surrounded my cat in the street one day, took turns pecking his tail till I could get out and chase them off

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

They could have a fledglings on the ground that is out of sight. If they are making that “chatter chatter” sound they are warning other magpies there is danger near.

I absolutely love magpies, they have an awful bad name but are very intelligent birds.

Look and see if the magpies are flying back and forward to ground level as they could be feeding a fledgling 😊 keep and eye on the dog that he doesn’t go near the area they are getting agitated by. They are very protective of their young and rightly so :)

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    very intelligent birds.

I think that's what freaks me out. I know rooks also have a good memory as we've two that keep appearing on our balcony door when it is open.

The piggies are in their outdoor habitat that we built with loads of hiding spaces and tunnels so they don't seem to be too bothered. The dogs though, not having any of it ;) One of these days I'll try to get a pic of the lot, 2 rooks, 2 dogs, 2 piggies and the odd pigeon that is brave enough to chance it...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

That's two posts I have deleted now as their content was inappropriate for this forum. If there is any more talk of hunting, shooting magpies or larson traps, infractions will be handed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Our local neighbourhood has a real issue with magpies nesting in any available tree, killing song-birds, destroying cars parked on the streets and terrorising small dogs, cats, squirrels and pet rabbits. Some of the locals were proposing cutting down all the trees lining the streets which many of us would hate. I asked the Tree Council of Ireland for advice. They told me that Birdwatch Ireland could come out and set traps to catch the magpies and relocate them. I don't recall but that seems possible.

So, OP, perhaps ask Birdwatch to come out and relocate some of your magpie population.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

I have managed, over the past few years, to keep magpies and crows away from our house and surrounding garden area by firmly grasping a tightly rolled broadsheet newspaper, rushing out the door, hissing “shhhooooooo shhhooooooo” whilst waving and bashing newspaper off open palm, or other firm surface. Took a short while, but it actually worked. I think they mistook the sharp sounds for gunshot 😁 Clever they may be, but they’re also messy, noisy and an effin nuisance. Hope you find a solution soon for that very cute little dog.

Advertisement