Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have dinner in the day?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Usually evening dinner, about 7.
    That is the main meal, meat and potatoes, veg or whatever.
    Lunch near midday.
    Always done it that way.

BUT lately I've discovered that dinner at middle of day has many benefits;
    We don't get so hungry again later on.
    The main work of cooking is over and done, and washed up early.
    A light tea in the evening is enough and leaves time for a walk, all part of the great slimming and fitness campaign.

So there ya, go, wheel coming full circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

NiftyPotableAchillestang-mobile.jpg

I know!

On christmas morning we have breakfast around 10 or 11 then might have a few sambos or crackers around 2, then the big meal at 5.

Actually come to think of it, we then have the turkey sambos around 9 with a few drinks..

Easy tell were huge eaters.

Sounds very like our Christmas Day, massive fry around 11am and then dinner no earlier than 6pm usually. I’d hate to have Christmas dinner at 1pm like some do as you couldn’t joy the big fry mid morning and I just wouldn’t like having dinner at that time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭Markcheese

feartuath wrote: »
    Growing up on a farm always dinner in the day and dinner in the parlour on a Sunday.

Did the cows mind giving up the parlour on Sundays? Although I suppose you'd be having the dinner between milkings anyway...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 30,354 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Sounds very like our Christmas Day, massive fry around 11am and then dinner no earlier than 6pm usually. I’d hate to have Christmas dinner at 1pm like some do as you couldn’t joy the big fry mid morning and I just wouldn’t like having dinner at that time anyway.

I'm suprised at you Liana Billions Shot-putter. Normally you sound like a real country guy but not on this occasion!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Breakfast, tea ,bread and boiled egg.
    Dinner, glass of milk ,spuds (jacket on) cabbage and bacon . Fish on a Friday.
    Tea, tea, bread and a boiled egg.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

I work in Dublin city and we have a lovely canteen in (restaurant really) and the majority of people would order hot food for dinner, between 12.30 and 2.
    I know for a fact that most would go home in the evening and have second dinner.
    I bring in a couple of sambos, but my collegues would be a bit sniffy at this carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I find as I'm getting older the dinner gets earlier. Usually around 5 these days. Won't be long before I'm grey and eating at 11am.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Farming people eat their dinner at 1pm. I do so occasionally but mostly after the Angelus

Dinner is on the table by 6pm here. Lunch is sandwich/soup/salad or a small portion of something left over from the dinner.

If you’re on the go since just before dawn, dinner around 1pm is fair enough. Plenty at farming would be coming up on hours into their day by that time.

The office workers hitting the office between 8-9am, eating a dinner sized meal for their lunch and another at home in the evening with the family are probably overweight if not outright fat as a direct consequence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I get home at 7pm so usually 7.30.

About 5pm on my days off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

No, evening time. Sometime from six to eight depending on when I am home from work or gym. Lunch is a salad and fish or chicken every day, fills me up and doesn't make me sleepy.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

I eat my dinner in the middle of the day. I would say it is common enough for successful business people and farmers to do so, you need to eat well to have energy to perform well.

I'm suprised at you Liana Billions Shot-putter. Normally you sound like a real country guy but not on this occasion!

I am very much a county person, born and raised and I saw my grandparents always eat their dinner in the day but my parents both worked out of home so dinner was always an evening thing for me. I wouldn’t ever bring leftovers for lunch or anything like that as I don’t really like that type of food in the middle of the day and prefer to go get a sandwich but also I like to eat a big dinner in the evening so eating “dinner food” at lunch would mean eating two dinners in the day.

Dinner is rarely before 8pm for me too as it’s rarely I’d be home for work to have it much earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Sometimes I switch it up, have a big meal (hot food) for lunch and then a sandwich in the evening. I'm a mad lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,631 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Growing up at home it was Dinner at 5 but now in my own house its dinner at 7 when I get in the door in the evening

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Lunch 12:30, dinner 21:30/22:00 during the week.

Weekends depends on whats happening, usually try and have dinner with the kids, around 6. Lunch either happens or it doesn't depending on how later breakfast was and where we are around lunch time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Farmers and unemployed?

Who else eats dinner between 12-2?

Not many plebs I would think

I am lucky to eat my one before 8pm

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have my dinner first thing in the morning, its good to get it out of the way early so I don't have to be wasting time peeling spuds and cooking later in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,512 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Farmers and unemployed?

+
    Some retired people.
    People whose offices have staff canteens... who might eat two dinners, though not sure if that counts as dinner or a big lunch.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,354 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Most people I know who have there dinner at around one o' clock generally wouldn't have another big meal in the evening.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Lunch around 12, dinner 7 ish after work, run and nursery pickup.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Here in Spain, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Farmers and unemployed?

No, we unemployed eat BREAKFAST in the middle of the day, thanks very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

What jackie Healy rae refers to is good solid traditional country people who are left behind by modern Ireland, these people are the backbone of Ireland and fair dues to anybody representing them...

Yep, but it's also good old spin because times are changing and the Healy Raes will be just as keen to say they represent those have dinner later in the day too. Otherwise their electorate would be shrinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Vita nova

sugarman wrote: »
    Culchies.

All the ones I work with will go to the local pub for a Carvery or Roast at lunch time most days, or bring in a massive plate of Sheppards pie & Veg and the likes to heat in the microwave. When they go home, they have their "Tea".

Charming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

We're quare mad here, breakfast at breakfast time, dinner at dinner time and supper at supper time.

I can't see it catching on at all at all.

Advertisement