Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have dinner in the day?

Options
  • 30-06-2019 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

Jackie Healy Rae said he represented people who "ate their dinner in the middle of the day"
    Justine McCarthy in the Sunday Times today, said very few of us do this any more.
    Who on Boards eats their dinner in the middle of the day.
    I'm a 6pm person

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,719 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Jackie Healy Rae said he represented people who "ate their dinner in the middle of the day"
    Justine McCarthy in the Sunday Times today, said very few of us do this any more.
    Who on Boards eats their dinner in the middle of the day.
    I'm a 6pm person

I have my dinner around teatime.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

What's dinner?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

People are working. Farmers maybe.

Don't know what Healy Rae means in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

RMAOK wrote: »
    What's dinner?

The main lyrics of the batman theme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Mealtimes are so flucked up now I have to get up in the middle of the night to have my supper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭leitrim4life

Yes i do , only protestants eat their dinner after the Angelus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I get too hungry for dinner at eight
    I like the theater, but never come late
    I never bother with people I hate
    That's why the lady is a tramp

• Registered Users Posts: 28,299 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

In general dinner is at 5-6 except for a time when I worked in an office with a decent canteen and then it was at 1.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i have dinner at lunchtime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Are you having a bad (slow) day OP ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

I have dinner before I get up in the morning, so I can get a good run at the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,416 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Jackie Healy Rae said he represented people who "ate their dinner in the middle of the day" Justine McCarthy in the Sunday Times today, said very few of us do this any more. Who on Boards eats their dinner in the middle of the day. I'm a 6pm person

I'm not even home from work at 6pm. Dinnertime here is 8-ish. I'm perfectly happy to eat later though. I don't eat lunch til 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Dinner time was always between 12 and 1 in the day, in the countryside anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

Growing up on a farm always dinner in the day and dinner in the parlour on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Dinner is 6 or 7pm in this house, lunch during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

If I'm working from home then dinner will be at 6. Otherwise probably 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I have steak and eggs for breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

When I was growing up in the '70s & '80s, Dinner was at 1.00pm in the day.

You had your Tea at 6.00.

This was the norm back then.

Of course it's all different now. Both parents working & other social changes brought an end to all of that.

Myself, the Missus & the kids hardly ever eat round the table in the same way that I did with my family growing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,298 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When I'm at home with my parents I have dinner during the day other than that it would be the evening.
    Personally I prefer it in the day and something lighter in the evening.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

mad muffin wrote: »
    I have steak and eggs for breakfast.

i did that once when i was on hols in nyc.
    jaysus it keeps you going all day

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I have dinner before I get up in the morning, so I can get a good run at the day.

Is that you...Mr. Short ??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I meet my father for lunch/dinner everyday since my mother has been in hospital. I have to make sure he's eating properly :)

I hate “dinner food” at lunch, much prefer a sandwich at lunch and dinner in tbe evening.

Going for Sunday lunch is never something we did at home and not something I like either, much prefer a big fry mid morning and dinner in the evening than having dinner at 1pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

RMAOK wrote: »
    What's dinner?

Surprising that any human wouldn’t know this but (from wiki)

Dinner usually refers to the largest and most formal meal of the day, which today for most people is eaten in the evening. Historically the largest meal used to be eaten around noon, and called dinner. In Western cultures, especially among the elite, it gradually migrated later in the day over the 16th to 19th centuries.[1] However, the word "dinner" can have different meanings depending on culture, and may mean a meal of any size eaten at any time of day.[2] In particular it is still sometimes used for a meal at noon or in the early afternoon on special occasions, such as a Christmas dinner.[1] In very hot climates people have always tended to eat the main meal in the evening, after the temperature has fallen.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

Traditionally in Ireland most people worked in farming which meant they worked at home of near home as they had no mode of transportation to work far away, the majority of women back then were stay at home mothers which meant they could have the dinner at 1pm on the button. This would always include potatoes as mandatory, veg depending on the time of year and meat usually mutton or bacon, everything was home grown. Afters would consist of custard and rhubarb or apple tart. As things changed over time less people worked the land and people could travel to work which meant they wouldn’t be home until evening for the spuds, as time moved on even further less women stayed at home which meant that other options other than spuds had to be considered as spuds take a long time to cook. To this day though, a lot of country people will have their dinner during the day at the weekend. As people in the old days grew their own food they were far healthier, nowadays you don’t really know what your eating.
    What jackie Healy rae refers to is good solid traditional country people who are left behind by modern Ireland, these people are the backbone of Ireland and fair dues to anybody representing them. I suppose the modern equivalent would be the breakfast roll man, good hard working people, not those sheep who queue for fancy coffee and get ripped off just because it’s the thing to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Only certain cultures have a big meal such as 'dinner' in the evening.

Like the spanish/italian as far as i have seen have lots of little meals through the day, or share huge meals at what we consider dinner time.

Its strange in other cultures to see what we do, sitting down at a certain time as a ritual to eat a big plate of food to ourselves.

Anyhow, we never use the term 'teatime' we simply say dinner, and 'dinner' is always towards evening, always anywhere from 6 to 9pm.

If we went for a sunday carvery at say 1 we would still have a medium sized meal about 8 or 9

Like my boyfriend and his family class dinner as 1 or 2, so at christmas or on sundays their big dinner is at 1 where as thats breakfast or lunch time to me.

At christmas in our house we have it at 5

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

Only certain cultures have a big meal such as 'dinner' in the evening.

Like the spanish/italian as far as i have seen have lots of little meals through the day, or share huge meals at what we consider dinner time.

Its strange in other cultures to see what we do, sitting down at a certain time as a ritual to eat a big plate of food to ourselves.

Anyhow, we never use the term 'teatime' we simply say dinner, and 'dinner' is always towards evening, always anywhere from 6 to 9pm.

If we went for a sunday carvery at say 1 we would still have a medium sized meal about 8 or 9

Like my boyfriend and his family class dinner as 1 or 2, so at christmas or on sundays their big dinner is at 1 where as thats breakfast or lunch time to me.

At christmas in our house we have it at 5

5 is very late very difficult to fit in the turkey sandwiches as you are tight on time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

5 is very late very difficult to fit in the turkey sandwiches as you are tight on time

I know!

On christmas morning we have breakfast around 10 or 11 then might have a few sambos or crackers around 2, then the big meal at 5.

Actually come to think of it, we then have the turkey sambos around 9 with a few drinks..

Easy tell were huge eaters.

• Advertisement

the wifes people eat their dinner at 1pm on the weekend

****in mental imo

Advertisement