Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

It reads like a '' Prison'' defence you'd see on boards over a ban .

Jeez, if someone wrote something like that in the Prison, they'd be banned forever!

aloyisious wrote: »
    On MSN. Rick Gates given 45 days in prison for lying to FBI and conspiracy to hide income from his and Paul Manafort's lobbying work in Ukraine.

He seemed to get glowing support from the Prosecution on account of the amount of help that he gave them, INCLUDING in respect of some cases not yet finalised.
    I reckon that's an interesting nugget!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,543 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    He seemed to get glowing support from the Prosecution on account of the amount of help that he gave them, INCLUDING in respect of some cases not yet finalised.
    I reckon that's and interesting nugget!

Low tariff plus time in pre-sentence custody, some-one's been a model prisoner. Looking at everlast75's post above, he's not the only good federal prisoner.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The same judge will be dealing with Stone in January.

It is good to see that she gave Gates more than the prosecutors asked for. Hopefully the same happens come January.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

just highlights how political the legal system is in the US.
    crazy stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,139 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

everlast75 wrote: »
    The same judge will be dealing with Stone in January.

It is good to see that she gave Gates more than the prosecutors asked for. Hopefully the same happens come January.

Yeah Stone's crimes are far more serious, not to mention his contempt shown to the judge during the trial

• Registered Users Posts: 12,966 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

House of Representatives just getting going on approving articles of Impeachment. Already 1 GOP motion to adjourn, defeated by voice vote but yea & nay's asked for. There's bound to be more shenanigans. Newsies saying 6-7 hour session day.

A pertinent clip from 2014 and what Trump thinks of impeachment...

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1207313493952802816?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭amandstu

everlast75 wrote: »
    A pertinent clip from 2014 and what Trump thinks of impeachment...

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1207313493952802816?s=19
    "Empty vessels." Does anything Trump says stand up except for marshalling bile?

I'm watching this now for the rest of the day. It's not often that history is made, and I'm going to be glued to it...

So, if there's a fire, I'm not available...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Republicans just totally avoid the facts and indulge in hand-wringing about how outrageous this all is. And it's working.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,966 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Republicans just totally avoid the facts and indulge in hand-wringing about how outrageous this all is. And it's working.

Doesn't seem like it's 'working.' They've got nothing. They refuse to defend. They just parrot what the WH is telling them.

It's all pretty depressing to watch. Some Republican getting up and saying 'Of course he's guilty, I'm voting to impeach can we send out for lunch now?' would be way more watchable.

PropJoe10 wrote: »

Its coming across very badly though for anyone who is interested enough to be persuadable. I like Nadler's little 5 and 10 second push backs to some of the more ridiculous faffing about from the Reps... And who could compare Pelosi's Constitutional call to arms with the pathetic ongoing whinging of Doug Collins???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Is it too soon to know how the numbers are stacking up for the vote? 538 ran its own guess at likely folks to cross the aisle - democrat and republican - and seems like there are a few potentials in the GOP who might vote to impeach, although unlikely to make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Why is the media giving the impression that this impeachment circus will actually end up in Trump being forced out?

One wonders what other rubbish they would be saying about this farcical presidency had this Impeachment circus not happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭RickBlaine

Do we know what time we can expect the actual vote?

RickBlaine wrote: »
    Do we know what time we can expect the actual vote?

I think they had agreed 6 hours for debate, but Reps are likely to play procedural games towards the end of the debate so I'd say it could drag on ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I'm no fan of the Democrats but it's their duty, (and that of any ethical Republican) to call for Trump's impeachment. He's making a mockery of their system. Even though this will go nowhere, in the least it might give others pause for thought and the U.S. can look back in years to come and see some had ethics.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Trump winning in 2020 but Dems winning both Congress and Senate would be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,025 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Why is the media giving the impression that this impeachment circus will actually end up in Trump being forced out?

One wonders what other rubbish they would be saying about this farcical presidency had this Impeachment circus not happened.

What media are you watching?

I can't say I've seen anything to say he will be removed, anything I've seen says he won't be removed because the republicans are simply power hungry cowards who will not vote against him out of fear and self serving politics. McConnell has confirmed already he will not be removed, under any circumstance. Impartial jury right, the only circus is that. That it is allowed to happen and that Moscow Mitch can say these things with a straight face and not be impeached himself for breach his oath of office. The United States is a republic, not a kingdom.

On a wider note, I understand what your thing is here. I do, I get it. I would only suggest you up your game slightly when it comes to the actual trial.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,025 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

woohoo!!! wrote: »

If I was a democrat I would take that trade all day every day

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

woohoo!!! wrote: »

This is currently a highly probable scenario! That said, it won't be much fun to watch a formerly Constitutional Republic eat itself up on the way to its death as an empire!

Putin, Xi and the other bullies had better get a full health check before the election in 2020, to ensure they don't fall over from un-controlled joy as Trump presides over the Death of a Nation!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Adam Schiff is doing well here.

What media are you watching?

I can't say I've seen anything to say he will be removed, anything I've seen says he won't be removed because the republicans are simply power hungry cowards who will not vote against him out of fear and self serving politics. McConnell has confirmed already he will not be removed, under any circumstance. Impartial jury right, the only circus is that. That it is allowed to happen and that Moscow Mitch can say these things with a straight face and not be impeached himself for breach his oath of office. The United States is a republic, not a kingdom.

On a wider note, I understand what your thing is here. I do, I get it. I would only suggest you up your game slightly when it comes to the actual trial.

Oh I'm not defending Trump. The usual response on here whenever you say anything different.

The media is giving the impression that this is historic and extraordinary. It's neither of those things - he will be president next week and no one will be affected by this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh I'm not defending Trump. The usual response on here whenever you say anything different.

The media is giving the impression that this is historic and extraordinary. It's neither of those things - he will be president next week and no one will be affected by this.

It's only the fourth time in hundreds of years of governance a US President has been impeached, I think that classifies as historic and extraordinary, no? Think it's a little disingenuous to ignore the significance of this in a political sense, so of course the media are going to be all over this. Cmon, this isn't nothing, even if the outcome is known (which in of itself speaks volumes politically)

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's only the fourth time in hundreds of years of governance a US President has been impeached, I think that classifies as historic and extraordinary, no? Think it's a little disingenuous to ignore the significance of this in a political sense, so of course the media are going to be all over this. Cmon, this isn't nothing, even if the outcome is known (which in of itself speaks volumes politically)

I respectfully disagree. And I can guarantee you that outside of the Trump nut jobs that follow his every move to praise or criticise, most in the US have not given this circus a second thought.

In Ireland, many are puzzled at the context of these impeachments. US presidents from Nixon to Clinton to Obama can sanction mass bombing and this doesn't warrant impeachement.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,014 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

In Ireland, many are puzzled at the context of these impeachments. US presidents from Nixon to Clinton to Obama can sanction mass bombing and this doesn't warrant impeachement.
    Is this a serious comparison? Where's the constitutional breach?

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Is this a serious comparison? Where's the constitutional breach?

This is the point... killing people in mass bombing isn't unconstitutional and is usually supported by both parties in America. Depressing state of affairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,139 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Part of the articles of impeachment against Nixon was for illegal bombing of Cambodia no?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement