Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€50 Draft League H2H

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Dearg81

This would be a great league if CSF wasn't in it :)
    Only 3 points between 2nd and 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Dearg81 wrote: »
    This would be a great league if CSF wasn't in it :)
    Only 3 points between 2nd and 6th.

And myself :)

Just when Aguero is coming back to fitness, Kane goes and gets injured. Ruled out for 4 months.

Have to bin him off now.

Gavin Salad you are ruining this league.

Hope you are proud of yourself.

I’m currently in 3rd but the guy in last place is closer to me than I am to the leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,859 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Gavin Salad you are ruining this league.

Hope you are proud of yourself.

I’m currently in 3rd but the guy in last place is closer to me than I am to the leader.

Haha, I was worried I was battling on either side of a tight one today, and then Mahrez goes and puts out a 17 point score.

I like my team a lot so I’m not gonna go pleading my luck but I still sure have gotten the breaks go my way when I need them.

Ah ****.

And I’m playing league leader in the DGW.

His Alisson, TAA and Mane against my .......

Gomez.

Really wanted to land a punch next time I played you but guess I’ll have to wait until the time after that DGW.

• Advertisement

Looks like I’ve won this now despite not in the way that I would have wanted to.

Who was the collector?

CSF wrote: »
    Looks like I’ve won this now despite not in the way that I would have wanted to.

Who was the collector?

Congrats, a nice comfortable win for you.

Dearg81 wrote: »
    Congrats, a nice comfortable win for you.

Thanks, I would like to think the asterix over this one isn’t quite as big as the FSA Premier League one which was very close

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

CSF wrote: »
    Thanks, I would like to think the asterix over this one isn’t quite as big as the FSA Premier League one which was very close

No you were 99% sure to win this with an 11 point lead (even though I would have liked the chance to at least try and catch you.)

Congrats!

Like the draft and would like to do something again next year, possibly with classic scoring though. Could be better with more money in the pot to pay down to third place to keep it interesting for everybody.

No you were 99% sure to win this with an 11 point lead (even though I would have liked the chance to at least try and catch you.)

Congrats!

Like the draft and would like to do something again next year, possibly with classic scoring though. Could be better with more money in the pot to pay down to third place to keep it interesting for everybody.

Yea I'd prefer classic scoring. It would be annoying to lose a h2h league for a lot of money if you hit a great points score. For example I beat CSF in the Premier League and finished 10th which is funny but I wouldn't be laughing if it cost me 400eur :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Sorry not up to speed... is it H2H leagues or drafts league that are not / can’t be finished?

Congrats CSF, worthy winner, well done!!

Chesty08 wrote: »
    Sorry not up to speed... is it H2H leagues or drafts league that are not / can’t be finished?

Congrats CSF, worthy winner, well done!!

H2Hs

Congrats!

I wanted to go with H2H having tried classic scoring the previous season.

In the previous season a lot of the managers just stopped playing as there was no way they could pull back the deficit whereas I thought a H2H would at least allow managers to think they could win 7-10 in a row and still compete.

Now I think I was right but we just got unlucky with a runaway winner this year.

I think I’d try it as a H2H again next year. We should look to ask people’s experiences of both formats but I think a H2H would be more competitive.

As far as paying down to 3rd place - there can only be 8 (realistic) maximum entrants and I don’t see the value in rewarding anyone but the winner.

A nice big pot for 1 winner. I’m of the mindset to only reward the winners and started the league to hopefully find like minded players. I’ve never understood paying €50 to enter something and getting your €50 back for not winning. Winner takes all is a more exciting, and rewarding, prospect.

Eoghan104 collected the money.

I sent him a pm just now

Eoghan104 collected the money.

I sent him a pm just now

He’s paid up already. Top man.

I wanted to go with H2H having tried classic scoring the previous season.

In the previous season a lot of the managers just stopped playing as there was no way they could pull back the deficit whereas I thought a H2H would at least allow managers to think they could win 7-10 in a row and still compete.

Now I think I was right but we just got unlucky with a runaway winner this year.

I think I’d try it as a H2H again next year. We should look to ask people’s experiences of both formats but I think a H2H would be more competitive.

As far as paying down to 3rd place - there can only be 8 (realistic) maximum entrants and I don’t see the value in rewarding anyone but the winner.

A nice big pot for 1 winner. I’m of the mindset to only reward the winners and started the league to hopefully find like minded players. I’ve never understood paying €50 to enter something and getting your €50 back for not winning. Winner takes all is a more exciting, and rewarding, prospect.

My thinking is that the bottom players can’t make up a deficit of 15 points + once you hit about half way so stop playing properly, stop making transfers and setting up best 11 each week which in turn makes it easier for leaders to get 3 points every week.

Whereas with classic scoring you can always get a few 80-100 weeks in quick succession and pull yourself back in. And if your 7th or 8th you might be completely out of contention for 1st but still have incentive to keep going for 3rd place prize. It’s not so much that you deserve something for coming 3rd but that it might make the whole league function better.

I’ll be in for next year in any format but they are just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

Well done to CSF, runaway winner!

I would tend to agree that there should maybe be a 2nd prize of €100 to keep it interesting. Happy to go again with any format though.

Good points Trimm but there’s currently 370 points difference between first and last.

You could hit 1 or 2 80 point weeks but the leader, by virtue of most likely having a strong team anyway, could be hitting 40-50 points himself.

I still think the H2H is better in this format (for keeping it more competitive) but genuinely don’t have enough experience to know.

Looks like there’s enough interest to go again next season so just a case of working it all out.

And yes, congratulations to CSF.

An absolute monstering.

Clear cut winner.

Thanks everyone!!

Defo interested to do this again next year and would be happy enough with going with a 2nd prize also.

• Advertisement

Hi folks,
    Who is interested in going again with the draft format? I won't start a new thread unless there is a few here that want to go again.

eoghan104 wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    Who is interested in going again with the draft format? I won't start a new thread unless there is a few here that want to go again.

I would if its classic scoring.

H2H means you are relying on other people in the league to keep playing 100% to the end plus the fixtures are likely to be all over the place this season with blanks and doubles which will bring too much luck into play in a H2H draft format in my opinion.

But if everyone else wants to go ahead with H2H I don't mind sitting this year out.

Hey,
    I agree on the classic scoring but happy to go with the majority. Let's see what numbers are like.

H2H means you are relying on other people in the league to keep playing 100% to the end plus the fixtures are likely to be all over the place this season with blanks and doubles which will bring too much luck into play in a H2H draft format in my opinion.

But if everyone else wants to go ahead with H2H I don't mind sitting this year out.

Yea I'll do a classic league if only for the draft craic :-)

Preference would be for H2H (mostly because I’m already in draft leagues with point scoring) but I’ll be in either way

I don’t get that thinking TT regards playing playing to the end in a classic but they won’t in a H2H ?

I’ve thought about this a lot since the first year I played draft and I think that H2H offers the best chance of having ‘a run’ and therefore keeps it more competitive. You’ve more chance of winning 5-6 H2H matches in a row and overturning 15-18 point deficit than say 60-80 points in a classic.

I think last season was proving this to be correct until CSF did what he did.

I’d be interested again but I definitely prefer the H2H format.

I don’t want to start spreading the money around (to the lower places) just to keep things competitive. I think all leagues, classic and H2H, have people that just fall away and lose interest no matter what. It’s only more obvious when the league size is so small.

I’d be in favour of a WTA scenario again.

I love the buzz of the draft so would love to do another one.

Also think we should go with 8 again and hopefully get some regular posters involved.

I don’t get that thinking TT regards playing playing to the end in a classic but they won’t in a H2H ?

I’ve thought about this a lot since the first year I played draft and I think that H2H offers the best chance of having ‘a run’ and therefore keeps it more competitive. You’ve more chance of winning 5-6 H2H matches in a row and overturning 15-18 point deficit than say 60-80 points in a classic.

I've been in league where I came from bottom to the top very late on - I think Son went on a crazy run at the end of the season. This season you might have good picks in your team like Sterling or Doherty who only really scored well at the end of season- classic rewards them whereas H2H doesn't.

And if the bottom 2/3 guys stop playing in classic and you're 2nd it doesn't matter that they've stopped because you don't need them to beat the guy in first.

Overall I think in classic you're less reliant on luck and on other players. But I do enjoy the draft itself so I'll do whichever format is decided.

I think last season was proving this to be correct until CSF did what he did.

I’d be interested again but I definitely prefer the H2H format.

I don’t want to start spreading the money around (to the lower places) just to keep things competitive. I think all leagues, classic and H2H, have people that just fall away and lose interest no matter what. It’s only more obvious when the league size is so small.

I’d be in favour of a WTA scenario again.

I love the buzz of the draft so would love to do another one.
    Agree with all of this. I loved the format last year. Obviously I did well in that format last year, but that isn't why. Was always another thing to look for on the last day of the gameweek to see what I needed to get over the line.

• Advertisement

I've been in league where I came from bottom to the top very late on - I think Son went on a crazy run at the end of the season. This season you might have good picks in your team like Sterling or Doherty who only really scored well at the end of season- classic rewards them whereas H2H doesn't.

And if the bottom 2/3 guys stop playing in classic and you're 2nd it doesn't matter that they've stopped because you don't need them to beat the guy in first.

Overall I think in classic you're less reliant on luck and on other players. But I do enjoy the draft itself so I'll do whichever format is decided.

That’s a good point on the guy in last not impacting you catching the guy in first.

I hadn’t thought of it that way.

I suppose I was thinking of the best way to keep all participants interested.

It’s a hard call.

Looks like we’ll do it anyway and maybe we’ll poll H2H or classic but I think, from my experience in the last 2 years, that H2H still is the way to go.

I suppose, in H2H, if the guy in last place stops playing then in theory he won’t impact you (in second place) catching the guy in front (first place) either.

Yeah. I’m definitely convinced by the H2H now again.

Advertisement