Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The price of fame ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

She's fairly rough looking..

I'd be willing to give her a good thorough spanking as punishment, as long as she agreed not to hit me back. :D

Odhinn wrote:
    There's nothing wrong with my posting, just your deliberate mischaracterisation of it.

Using your words, that you typed, in the context you used is not mischaracterisation.

You alluded to the fact that Paddy Jackson was NOT guilty of rape was much worse than this person being GUILTY of a violent assault.

Can you see why that is a little bit silly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

Let’s have a look at the young lady in question...
    ashling-thompson-15-752x501.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,026 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Using your words, that you typed, in the context you used is not mischaracterisation.

You alluded to the fact that Paddy Jackson was NOT guilty of rape was much worse than this person being GUILTY of a violent assault.

Can you see why that is a little bit silly?

He's comparing a case that demanded a trial with a case that can be settled via the poor box.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,847 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I feel assaulted by them eyebrows...

• Advertisement

Odhinn wrote:
    He's comparing a case that demanded a trial with a case that can be settled via the poor box.

Yes. And saying that the violent assault should receive a more severe punishment and shouldn't be belittled.

Violence shouldn't be tolerated.

Odhinn wrote:
    And you think this is as bad as a rape?

What was that about? You are comparing a case where they were found not guilty of rape to a case where someone was found guilty of assault.

Which is worse? Would you prefer to be in the company of someone who is not guilty of rape or someone who is guilty of assault?

You literally asked if being guilty of assault was worse than not being a rapist.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

She has to pay €6000 to get off. What would you prefer, a prison sentence where it would cost the state money to keep her incarcerated? If she had been a scumbag with previous convictions she would have gotten far less and most likely been given a suspended sentence. It was a fair decision in my opinion.

From the judge’s personal collection:pac:
    ashling-thompson-1762014-2-752x501.jpg

She has to pay €6000 to get off. What would you prefer, a prison sentence where it would cost the state money to keep her incarcerated? If she had been a scumbag with previous convictions she would have gotten far less and most likely been given a suspended sentence. It was a fair decision in my opinion.

I just find it incredibly lenient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Now she has a clean record, no note will ever be made of the assault so if she reoffends she’s starting from scratch. Surely, at the very least, a conviction and a suspended sentence would have been the right course of action if jail time wasn’t an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod- For those worried about this thread being sub judice I direct you to the judges comments.

Judge O’Leary said: “It is finished today as far as the court is concerned. It can only be re-entered if €6,000 is not paid.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/this-is-a-regrettable-incident--camogie-star-ashling-thompson-ordered-to-pay-6k-for-assaulting-two-women-932897.html

If she doesn't pay up and is brought back to court then we'll have to lock it.

Edit to add. Obviously I am not a law talking type guy so I've run this to the legal guys to be sure. They might disagree with me and order this locked.

Anybody good on the photoshop here ?

I present the accused and ‘underneath’ her (ahem) , the judge :pac:
    unnamed-54-390x285.jpg
    Con-OLeary.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,847 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Tbh, you see this the whole time when there's a bit of celebrity involved. The rich and popular get away with it, the scumbags get away with it, but the regular Joe Soap will always be convicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭jay1988

Odhinn wrote: »
    And you think this is as bad as a rape?

there was no rape in the case you're trying to compare this too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod- Moved from AH to CA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

FFred wrote: »

Great girl. Takes no nonsense

• Site Banned Posts: 11 Love_BBC

If you cover the face, remove the tattoos and only look at her legs, she's a goodlooking girl!

Love_BBC wrote: »
    If you cover the face, remove the tattoos and only look at her legs, she's a goodlooking girl!
    How very dare you. This guy disapproves...

Con-OLeary.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

I’m comparing an alleged sexual assault case with a physical assault case where one of the victims received a fractured jaw.

Not a fractured jaw, but a suspected hairline fracture to the jaw - no medical evidence was produced in support of that claim and the witness explained that she did not follow up with medical attention as she had travelled to Abu Dhabi.

• Advertisement

Not a fractured jaw, but a suspected hairline fracture to the jaw - no medical evidence was produced in support of that claim and the witness explained that she did not follow up with medical attention as she had travelled to Abu Dhabi.

Still not acceptable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

Still not acceptable

Definitely not. But shouldn't have been accepted as evidence without independent verification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Love_BBC wrote: »

My God, the bitchiness in here.

She’s clearly fairly hot. Not that keen on tattoos myself. Or violence. Or camogie for that matter.

Buts she’s hot enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Judge is a silver fox, hisself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

FFred wrote: »

5f8b48917d5d60c0d688f2b6015bc5d3.png

Those eyebrows wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

It does seem a bit lousy that someone can pay €6k and gets to assault you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

So if she does this again will she still be not a scumbag with no previous convictions? Repeat ad infinitum.

Define scumbag anyway. I mean correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not like her behaviour here is discernibly different from what one might expect from in your words, a scumbag.

Don't get me wrong I'm not one for demanding draconian punishment for people who make mistakes, but a sense of atonement and reconciling your mistakes is pretty much a prerequisite for recovering from such a mistake. Slapping a fine of €6,000, which she might end up getting help in paying off (admittedly in addition to loss of income she's probably facing from reduction in promotional opportunities), is not exactly falling into that bracket.

I hope she can continue her career and life without much of an issue, but it doesn't really seem like she's all that sorry for what she did, and even the judge said he felt it was probably lenient. There hasn't been any real deterrent to her doing this again save for the fact that it was probably a large use of her time over the last few months.

Maybe they should have substituted the fine with some community service or something.

Like, she looks like she's about to batter the head off someone with that hurl..

Or sorry, camogie stick..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

This is one tough broad.

She could get a job collecting debts for the Kinahans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Like, she looks like she's about to batter the head off someone with that hurl.. hurley

Or sorry, camogie stick.. hurley

FYP :)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Advertisement