Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The price of fame ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Very high

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

As I understand, offering to pay compensation or making Poor Box donations has been an accepted way to avoid convictions for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭dickangel

The judge seems very smitten with her.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

What would you deem an adequate sanction op?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I wonder will there be the same outrage over this as there was over Paddy Jackson & Co., I somehow doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I wonder will there be the same outrage over this as there was over Paddy Jackson & Co., I somehow doubt it.

There's no fucking comparison between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

Obviously the judge doesn't take much of the cross bar to seriously...

If you get my pun....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

dickangel wrote: »
    The judge seems very smitten with her.

He did

Did she even apologise?

She comes across as a right idiot in this article, made of steel.

https://www.independent.ie/style/celebrity/celebrity-features/cork-camogie-star-ashling-thompson-my-dark-places-35178200.html

Odhinn wrote: »
    There's no fucking comparison between the two.

True. One party was found not guilty, the other was guilty and the judge has offered a chance to buy their way out of a conviction.

True. One party was found not guilty, the other was guilty and the judge has offered a chance to buy their way out of a conviction.

You're comparing a rape case with a number of accused with a woman throwing a dig or two in the pub?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Judge O’Leary said: “If paid it will disappear. No convictions. It disappears into a fog. There is no Probation Act, no strike-out. It can only be re-entered if the money is not paid (by September 30).” Judge O’Leary said: “It is finished today as far as the court is concerned. It can only be re-entered if €6,000 is not paid.

“It may appear that what I am doing is relatively lenient. I cannot understand the level of attention from the media in relation to this. Maybe I am out of touch. I cannot understand what the fascination is that brings so many of the media to court

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/this-is-a-regrettable-incident--camogie-star-ashling-thompson-ordered-to-pay-6k-for-assaulting-two-women-932897.html

You're comparing a rape case with a number of accused with a woman throwing a dig or two in the pub?

I’m comparing an alleged sexual assault case with a physical assault case where one of the victims received a fractured jaw.

A ‘dig or two in the pub’? Jesus. I thought we’d moved past this LAD attitude to assault.

I suppose you’ll tell me next that it’s okay to give your g/f or wife ‘a dig or two’

She obviously needs anger management.

She's fairly rough looking..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

She's fairly rough looking..

You’re no oil painting yourself, love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Well, maybe a Picasso.

I’m comparing an alleged sexual assault case with a physical assault case where one of the victims received a fractured jaw.

A ‘dig or two in the pub’? Jesus. I thought we’d moved past this LAD attitude to assault.

And you think this is as bad as a rape?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

She's not really that famous.

She's not really that famous.

She's ye know ...Ashling. From the thingy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

She's ye know ...Ashling. From the thingy

Oh the camaugue roish yeh

• Advertisement

You’ve already set your stall out by calling a physical assault against these women as a ‘throwing a dig or two’, you seem to think it’s okay carry out unprovoked attacks on women, I don’t.

Odhinn wrote:

No. He thinks being guilty of assault is worse than being not guilty of rape... Which it is.

You’ve already set your stall out by calling a physical assault against these women as a ‘throwing a dig or two’, you seem to think it’s okay carry out unprovoked attacks on women, I don’t.

Bollocks, tbh.

You're whinging about the two is if theres a comparison - there isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,369 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Whatever about jail time she should have it recorded as a conviction, she sounds like a right scobe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Bollocks, tbh.

Let's start small on this

https://youtu.be/MMiKyfd6hA0

It's really not difficult

Whatever about jail time she should have it recorded as a conviction, she sounds like a right scobe.

There is one standard for those in the public eye, and another standard for the plebs.

Odhinn wrote:

We are all in agreement. One case is guilty the other is not guilty. No comparison.

The main difference is the person who was found not guilty of rape has their life ruined and the person found guilty of a vicious assault against women (or a few digs if you are that way inclined) gets a chance to pay their way out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'm from cork never even heard of her.

Bollocks, tbh.

Might I suggest that you visit a woman’s refuge, as your silly question there. See what kind of a response you get. What would you tell the victims of physical assault? ‘Ah sure it was only a dig or two, shur isn’t rape a lot worse’.

Both are despicable crimes.

I had expected a higher standard of posting from you, Odhinn.

• Advertisement

Might I suggest that you visit a woman’s refuge, as your silly question there. See what kind of a response you get. What would you tell the victims of physical assault? ‘Ah sure it was only a dig or two, shur isn’t rape a lot worse’.

Both are despicable crimes.

I had expected a higher standard of posting from you, Odhinn.

There's nothing wrong with my posting, just your deliberate mischaracterisation of it.

Advertisement