Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman charged with manslaughter because her unborn baby died after she was shot

Options
  • 27-06-2019 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, mad headline that, but true.

A woman in the states (Alabama) has been charged with manslaughter after she was shot while pregnant and her baby died. The charges were brought as it was felt she instigated the row which led to the shooting. The shooter wasn't charged as it was determined that they had acted in self defense.

Woman loses unborn child after being shot, gets arrested; shooter goes free

A woman whose unborn baby was killed in a 2018 Pleasant Grove shooting has now been indicted in the death.

Marshae Jones, a 27-year-old Birmingham woman, was indicted by a Jefferson County grand jury on a manslaughter charge. She was taken into custody on Wednesday.

Though Jones didn’t fire the shots that killed her unborn baby girl, authorities say she initiated the dispute that led to the gunfire. Police initially charged 23-year-old Ebony Jemison with manslaughter, but the charge against Jemison was dismissed after the grand jury failed to indict her.

Jones was taken from Fairfield to UAB Hospital. She was five months pregnant and was shot in the stomach. The unborn baby did not survive the shooting.

“The investigation showed that the only true victim in this was the unborn baby,’’ Pleasant Grove police Lt. Danny Reid said at the time of the shooting. “It was the mother of the child who initiated and continued the fight which resulted in the death of her own unborn baby.”

Reid said the fight stemmed over the unborn baby’s father. The investigation showed, he said, that it was Jones who initiated and pressed the fight, which ultimately caused Jemison to defend herself and unfortunately caused the death of the baby.

"Let’s not lose sight that the unborn baby is the victim here,’’ Reid said. “She had no choice in being brought unnecessarily into a fight where she was relying on her mother for protection."

The 5-month fetus was "dependent on its mother to try to keep it from harm, and she shouldn’t seek out unnecessary physical altercations,” Reid added.

Jones will be transferred to the Jefferson County Jail where she will be held on $50,000 bond.

I'm guessing this is an 'involuntary manslaughter' charge as opposed to a 'voluntary' one as the former involves an element of intent and there was clearly none here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

To shoot someone in the stomach who's arguing with you, such a natural response. In Alabama.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Lenard skynard moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Before I clicked the link I assumed the woman was black, pressed the link I assumed correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

That's bat**** crazy on a whole other level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

strandroad wrote: »
    To shoot someone in the stomach who's arguing with you, such a natural response. In Alabama.

did you even read the article or you just comment for a cheap laugh and the likes?
    fight not argument. and it was deemed as a reasonable defence.

The investigation showed, he said, that it was Jones who initiated and pressed the fight, which ultimately caused Jemison to defend herself and unfortunately caused the death of the baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Before I clicked the link I assumed the woman was black, pressed the link I assumed correctly.

Wow

Straight to the colour card!

Living up to username seems to be a thing these days on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

That story is buggered up beyond belief. Obviously the pregnant woman shouldn’t have been fighting, but she didn’t shoot herself in the stomach. To charge her with manslaughter is cruel. It’s blaming her for getting shot.

Wow

Straight to the colour card!

Living up to username seems to be a thing these days on boards.

Actually if you took the time to either think about it or ask me why I said I assumed she was black, was based on the fact she's a black Birmingham Alabama resident, now if she were white this would not have happened. I suggest you research the area and it's civil rights history.... and oh yeah try and be a little less 'triggered'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I couldn't believe it when I saw the headline this morning. Thought it just had to be misleading clickbait.

It's actually frightening that this is in a western democracy.

And believe me I despise when people make stupid comparisons with the book (well tv series because they never heard of the book published over 30 years before the tv series) but that really IS some Handmaid's Tale sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Actually if you took the time to either think about it or ask me why I said I assumed she was black, was based on the fact she's a black Birmingham Alabama resident, now if she were white this would not have happened. I suggest you research the area and it's civil rights history.... and oh yeah try and be a little less 'triggered'.

Why?

Why would her "whitness" have prevented this?

And please, using,the word "triggered" ffs :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Shots fired!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Why?

Unfair police bias against black folk I assume is what they mean. Think you're rushing to assume they're being racist when it's the opposite.

Personally l don't think her skin colour would have made a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

paw patrol wrote: »
    did you even read the article or you just comment for a cheap laugh and the likes?
    fight not argument. and it was deemed as a reasonable defence.

I did. She came to the brawl unarmed. I don't think shooting someone in the stomach is an appropriate defence against fists and nails; clearly Alabama judiciary disagrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Poor woman she was shot and lost her baby and now this.

Ok she should not have fought etc (if that is what happened)

Its so sad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Some serious false advertising on the name of the shooting location.

Why?

So you think a white person and a black( coloured ) person receives the same treatment from law enforcement in America particularly the southern states? That's naive to say the least and yes triggered fits your initial reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭hgfj

From what you just posted, you assumed she was black before you clicked the link, "based on the fact she's a black Birmingham Alabama resident". So you made an assumption based on a fact you were not aware of before you clicked the link?

luv 2 discuss america on boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Why?

And please, using,the word "triggered" ffs
    I think the point being made is that the police/justice department wouldn't have brought manslaughter charges against a white woman in these circumstances, rather than her being white meaning the fight would never have happened in the first place.

hgfj wrote: »
    From what you just posted, you assumed she was black before you clicked the link, "based on the fact she's a black Birmingham Alabama resident". So you made an assumption based on a fact you were not aware of before you clicked the link?

Fair play you worked out I made an assumption because I said I assumed , and I went on to clarify why I said this but hey if it helps you feel outraged you can ignore my explanation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭hgfj

QYou explained nothing. You clarified nothing. You assumed she was black before you clicked the link. Then you said that assumption was based on the fact she was black.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

QYou explained nothing. You clarified nothing. You assumed she was black before you clicked the link. Then you said that assumption was based on the fact she was black.

I think what he was referring to, although phrased badly, is that you could base the assumption the woman is black simply based on the nonsense of the headline and the charges against her.

People can argue all they want, but the odds of a white woman being charged with the same thing in that place are very, very low.

So you haven't read anything else I wrote just back to my first post again and again.... You have an awesome day I have a feeling responding to you could become quite tedious so I will refrain from doing so.

So you haven't read anything else I wrote just back to my first post again and again.... You have an awesome day I have a feeling responding to you could become quite tedious so I will refrain from doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Assuming her race is relevant to how she was treated is not much of a stretch.

https://www.splcenter.org/20181018/alabamas-war-marijuana?eType=EmailBlastContent&eId=fbfb3108-c152-47d8-8e23-28fac65ab617
    Black people were approximately four times as likely as white people to be arrested for marijuana possession (both misdemeanors and felonies) in 2016 – and five times as likely to be arrested for felony possession. These racial disparities exist despite robust evidence that white and black people use marijuana at roughly the same rate.

In at least seven law enforcement jurisdictions, black people were 10 or more times as likely as white people to be arrested for marijuana possession.

Trying to pretend law-enforcement is colourblind in Alabama is at best, hilariously ill-informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

There is no way this charge could stand right? Would be like suggesting anyone who falls or does something that might cause a miscarriage to get charged.

Imagine what this would mean for anyone who gets an abortion.....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

'Bama

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

gibgodsman wrote: »
    Imagine what this would mean for anyone who gets an abortion.....

Isn't Alabama one of the states that recently brought in extremely strict abortion laws?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Alabama has some really ****ed up ideas about fault.

If you're committing a crime and someone dies, you can be charged with murder.

Four 15 year olds broke into a house in Alabama. Police arrived, shot one of the kids dead. His friend went down for 65 years for murder because Alabama law found him vicariously guilty of his friend's death.

And yes, he was black too.

Alabama, man. What a sh1thole.

• Advertisement

Race is a huge factor in this mess, it's unlikely a white woman would be persecuted/prosecuted in the same situation. Bullying the least able to resist is a hobby in some States. People row, but she didn't shoot herself.

Advertisement