Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ report €13m defecit. Time to properly fund Public Service Broadcasting.

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

given rte broadcasts to the whole nation, low wages, or wages similar to the average broadcaster on the average for example, music station, are not going to happen.
    the market is likely already playing a part in the decision over wages, how much of a part is anyone's guess but i would be surprised if it is not involved any bit. after all how many of us thought pat kenny could be attracted away from rte?

There is not one show on RTE that has star power where they can say if it wasn't for so and so nobody would watch or listen. I don't listen to Liveline for Joe Duffy - I listen to laugh at the (majority of) callers. Think Moncrieff is a great listen to in the afternoon - his show is always entertaining but it's the man himself who makes it that (even like the kid problem slot tho I don't have kids but always funny)
    Maybe in the past they could get away with that when there was a lot less entertainment to consume

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

given rte broadcasts to the whole nation, low wages, or wages similar to the average broadcaster on the average for example, music station, are not going to happen.
    the market is likely already playing a part in the decision over wages, how much of a part is anyone's guess but i would be surprised if it is not involved any bit. after all how many of us thought pat kenny could be attracted away from rte?

Why should audience size play a role in what a broadcaster gets paid? My current employer pays me €X+1 because I could only get €X from a competitor. If today fm/ newstalk/4fm are only willing to pay say €150k for an afternoon presenter, why should RTE pay multiples of that? Where are they going to go?? A 10% premium over the competition should be enough to hold someone if RTE wanted to keep someone badly enough.

Where else would Tubridy get €500k? He wouldn't get it in the UK and he wouldn't get it at a commercial station here, so why is he getting it at a semi state?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The idea that anyone in a public service broadcaster is making more than 250k a year is disgusting.

RTE should either scrap ad’s or have public funding cut massively , take the savings from those big salaries. You could 100% find an amazing presenter for the late late who would he please with a quarter of a million a year

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Why should audience size play a role in what a broadcaster gets paid?

the greater the size of the potential audience, the greater the reach for the broadcasters, the greater the reach for the advertisers, and the greater amount that can be charged.
    My current employer pays me €X+1 because I could only get €X from a competitor. If today fm/ newstalk/4fm are only willing to pay say €150k for an afternoon presenter, why should RTE pay multiples of that? Where are they going to go?? A 10% premium over the competition should be enough to hold someone if RTE wanted to keep someone badly enough.

what your employer (presumably an employer in a different industry) does is their business. different industries work differently and that is just how it is
    if a 10% premium over the competition was enough then that is all that rte would be paying. nobody wants to pay more then they have to. there will always be high earners within the state broadcasters both here and in the uk, presumably others as well.
    Where else would Tubridy get €500k? He wouldn't get it in the UK and he wouldn't get it at a commercial station here, so why is he getting it at a semi state?

he may indeed not, but if he brings in what is required of him (and presumably he does) then rte aren't going to take that risk.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

the greater the size of the potential audience, the greater the reach for the broadcasters, the greater the reach for the advertisers, and the greater amount that can be charged.

Then by the same token RTE salaries and remuneration should be a fraction of the BBCs; about 1/14th if we're generous to RTE and don't take into account the BBC's large overseas audience. There is not a chance that many people at the BBC are being paid 14 times more than someone at RTE doing the same job. In fact their very highest paid presenter, Gary Lineker, only got about 4 times what Ryan Tubridy did last year.

• Advertisement

what your employer (presumably an employer in a different industry) does is their business. different industries work differently and that is just how it is
    if a 10% premium over the competition was enough then that is all that rte would be paying. nobody wants to pay more then they have to. there will always be high earners within the state broadcasters both here and in the uk, presumably others as well.

he may indeed not, but if he brings in what is required of him (and presumably he does) then rte aren't going to take that risk.

I don't think you understand how markets work. The amount of revenue or profit resulting from an employees labour doesn't determine their wages. What determines it is retention and how badly they want to keep an individual in their organization, and to retain someone you only have to pay a small premium on the market rate. RTE are overpaying their "stars" because RTE is the only place that will employ these people. RTE can set the market rate.

Where would Marian Finucane go if RTE wasn't paying her a Kings ransom for reading the papers with her buddies at the weekends? Do you think the BBC would have her?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Then by the same token RTE salaries and remuneration should be a fraction of the BBCs; about 1/14th if we're generous to RTE and don't take into account the BBC's large overseas audience. There is not a chance that many people at the BBC are being paid 14 times more than someone at RTE doing the same job. In fact their very highest paid presenter, Gary Lineker, only got about 4 times what Ryan Tubridy did last year.

if rte was the only broadcaster and irish broadcasters were only allowed to broadcast in ireland, then perhapse so. but as this isn't the case, then the pay won't be a 14th of the bbc.
    I don't think you understand how markets work. The amount of revenue or profit resulting from an employees labour doesn't determine their wages. What determines it is retention and how badly they want to keep an individual in their organization, and to retain someone you only have to pay a small premium on the market rate.

markets aren't all going to work the exact same. there will be some differences between the markets. certain factors that determine 1 thing in 1 market won't in another.
    RTE are overpaying their "stars" because RTE is the only place that will employ these people. RTE can set the market rate.

it will be the case for some of them that only rte would employ them, but it may not be the case for every one of them.
    rte pay their stars what they pay them due to whatever factors rte determine that will warrent such pay, and i don't believe they are paying out high salaries for the hell of it.
    Where would Marian Finucane go if RTE wasn't paying her a Kings ransom for reading the papers with her buddies at the weekends? Do you think the BBC would have her?

the bbc may have her and they may not.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

And yet when he left he did not carry a major portion of his audience with him. Its the brand that sell the advertizing compared to the name of the host.

Exactly. If only RTE would realize that.

They have offered her a job for more money a few times. She stayed partially out of loyalty and because her family is settled here now at this stage.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    And the reason Lineker is paid so much is because there is commercial competition for sports broadcasters that are willing and able to pay salaries of such scale.

I just don't see who RTE are bidding against to retain this "talent" apart from maybe themselves in a way. They've given these people so much money over the years that in all likelihood most could retire comfortably at this stage and perhaps the obscene salaries are needed to get them out of bed now. If this is the case then RTE needs to develop new faces not rely on old ones.

• Advertisement

I just don't see who RTE are bidding against to retain this "talent" apart from maybe themselves in a way.

For most of them that is exactly how it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

rte are a joke. simple. the woman who comes out when the trade union stuff go's on bet shes there full time. place is a gravy train. we all know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,231 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

if rte was the only broadcaster and irish broadcasters were only allowed to broadcast in ireland, then perhapse so. but as this isn't the case, then the pay won't be a 14th of the bbc.
    Incorrect neither should it be 40-50% of it
    markets aren't all going to work the exact same. there will be some differences between the markets. certain factors that determine 1 thing in 1 market won't in another.
    Incorrect ya bout a 5-19 multiple difference would be out of place
    it will be the case for some of them that only rte would employ them, but it may not be the case for every one of them.
    rte pay their stars what they pay them due to whatever factors rte determine that will warrent such pay, and i don't believe they are paying out high salaries for the hell of it.
    Incorrect while you might pay over the odds for one you would not for 10+
    Incorrect she made a lifesyle decision

Multiquoting can be virtualling trolling.Mind you I am not accusing you of that. But rather that giving one line or similar responses to sections you multiquote debate and post on the whole issue. You imagine it was a transport issue we were reponding rather than a general communications issue

Slava Ukrainii

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

rte should be closed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I pay the tv licience every year because I have a tv hooked up my sky box, but the last rte thing i remember watching was the late late toy show, and it was Gay Byrne presenting, such a rip off so a service that so many simply do not want or use.

Advertisement