Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ report €13m defecit. Time to properly fund Public Service Broadcasting.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

Elmo wrote: »
    25m a year goes to Imports not buttons.

I mean the stuff they put on at ungodly hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

I pay it but I dont know why. It’s rubbish. Stopped watching it years ago except for the Gaelic football which is rare now because someone decided to show hurling most of the time.
    They should close it down as it’s useless.

RTÉ’s Tony Connelly is one of the best informed journalists in Brussels on Brexit. I have many, many gripes about RTÉ but it’s not completely useless, and when it does something well it does show the value of publicly-funded broadcasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

As long as this tripe of an architect Dermot Bannon doesn't get another second of screen time I'm all for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

It’s grand. I’ve just read that Lucy Kennedy and Michael Healy-Rae are teaming up for a new TV show. Once we syndicate that across the world RTÉ willl be rich beyond its wildest dreams.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

RTÉ’s Tony Connelly is one of the best informed journalists in Brussels on Brexit. I have many, many gripes about RTÉ but it’s not completely useless, and when it does something well it does show the value of publicly-funded broadcasting.

Tony is a bollox imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It’s grand. I’ve just read that Lucy Kennedy and Michael Healy-Rae are teaming up for a new TV show. Once we syndicate that across the world RTÉ willl be rich beyond its wildest dreams.

I hope it’s a re do of the celebrity death matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Had the opportunity to watch television earlier this morning.
    Switched to our National Broadcaster's flagship station RTE1.
    What was on? Advertisements.
    Guess what came on after the advertisements? Teleshopping.

I then came to the conclusion that Teleshopping (don't forget that we are paying €160 every year for this service) is necessary to pay for the massive salaries of RTE stars.
    Monday's Teleshopping paid for one hour of Joe Duffy's weekly wage.
    Tuesday's Teleshopping paid for one hour of Ray D'Arcy's weekly wage.

Having Teleshopping on the country's primary television channel is an abomination; much like the arrogance of those running the wasteful quango.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Very well informed and intelligent guy. His Brexit pieces leave the bbc analysis in their dust

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

It would cost more if they didn't.

• Advertisement

GarIT wrote: »
    It would cost more if they didn't.
    I know.

It's just easy to see where the money goes though without actual improvement on the actual product sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Is that bad, given the size of the organisation, its very large workforce and significant defamation exposure as Ireland's largest news broadcaster?

I'm not saying nothing to see here, just that without more detail it's hard to know if it's a bargain or daylight robbery or anywhere in between. For instance what about in house legal, or any insurance costs making the real total legal services fee much higher.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Is that bad, given the size of the organisation, its very large workforce and significant defamation exposure as Ireland's largest news broadcaster?

I'm not saying nothing to see here, just that without more detail it's hard to know if it's a bargain or daylight robbery or anywhere in between. For instance what about in house legal, or any insurance costs making the real total legal services fee much higher.

Considering they have a legal team inside RTE etc it made me wonder. I don't know though.

RTE's Philip Boucher Hayes deleted 'sponger' tweets when he realised there was an error in the figures. Story here.
    I'd say he got his knuckles slapped by the liberal elite in RTE for using the work "sponger", more than anything else.

Mr. Boucher also sent out tweets hitting out at people calling for a cut in the wages of high earners at RTE.
    Once again it shows how detached those who work at RTE are from the rest of us. One of his tweets: "good populist fun but poor maths".
    So those of us bothered by the unrealistic, unsustainable, undeserving high salaries at RTE are just populists.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Kivaro wrote: »
    RTE's Philip Boucher Hayes deleted 'sponger' tweets when he realised there was an error in the figures. Story here.
    I'd say he got his knuckles slapped by the liberal elite in RTE for using the work "sponger", more than anything else.

Mr. Boucher also sent out tweets hitting out at people calling for a cut in the wages of high earners at RTE.
    Once again it shows how detached those who work at RTE are from the rest of us. One of his tweets: "good populist fun but poor maths".
    So those of us bothered by the unrealistic, unsustainable, undeserving high salaries at RTE are just populists.

Can someone tell me why this became a "populist" trope? I had always avoided the presenters wages, particularly when they were make some good programming back in the 2000s. But now I look at it and I don't view it as populist at all.

In 2017 RTÉ spent just 1% of their Budget on Children's Content, why not equate this to their star wages after all aren't they just spending 1% of their budget on "stars".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I agree - one decent TV station (TG4 separate) with an emphasis on home produced material. No need for 24 hours news and current affairs, a bit of variety. In relations to sport, bit more variety - they've gone too far towards the lazy GAA option in recent times.

Ditto for radio - one decent talk station.

Big salary cuts or the door to the main presenters.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

ultimately, yes . because we already know why people are paid the wages they are within the service, and that if they didn't bring serious returns, they wouldn't be paid what they are.

Had the opportunity to watch television earlier this morning.
    Switched to our National Broadcaster's flagship station RTE1.
    What was on? Advertisements.
    Guess what came on after the advertisements? Teleshopping.

I then came to the conclusion that Teleshopping (don't forget that we are paying €160 every year for this service) is necessary to pay for the massive salaries of RTE stars.
    Monday's Teleshopping paid for one hour of Joe Duffy's weekly wage.
    Tuesday's Teleshopping paid for one hour of Ray D'Arcy's weekly wage.

Having Teleshopping on the country's primary television channel is an abomination; much like the arrogance of those running the wasteful quango.

more likely it's just rte doing what many channels do in off peak hours. shove on telly shopping to bring in extra income. rather then arrogance.
    personally i think all channels should carry original programming instead as there are some people watching late at night early in the morning all be it in small numbers, but it seems the channels don't agree.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭jelutong

Who's the we? Speak for yourself.

ultimately, yes . because we already know why people are paid the wages they are within the service, and that if they didn't bring serious returns, they wouldn't be paid what they are.
    This is usually the case for the vast majority of organisations and businesses.
    However RTE does not follow normal protocol or business processes because; well because they are funded by the television license tax gravy train and the revenue generated from advertisements.
    We are constantly told (by RTE) that the RTE stars will run away to the competition or go overseas if they are not paid the astronomical salaries they currently receive.

I say, let's reduce their salaries and hope that this may occur.
    In fact, maybe we could crowdfund their exodus.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

more likely it's just rte doing what many channels do in off peak hours. shove on telly shopping to bring in extra income. rather then arrogance.
    personally i think all channels should carry original programming instead as there are some people watching late at night early in the morning all be it in small numbers, but it seems the channels don't agree.

Do they bring in serious returns?

RTÉ have always avoided Morning TV, they had a case when the produced strong prime time TV, but now even their break for Today on RTÉ1 arrogant.

• Advertisement

This is usually the case for the vast majority of organisations and businesses.
    However RTE does not follow normal protocol or business processes because; well because they are funded by the television license tax gravy train and the revenue generated from advertisements.
    We are constantly told (by RTE) that the RTE stars will run away to the competition or go overseas if they are not paid the astronomical salaries they currently receive.

I say, let's reduce their salaries and hope that this may occur.
    In fact, maybe we could crowdfund their exodus.

that is fine as long as we aren't forced to potentially pay a higher licence fee to make up any shortfall in advertising lost from the exodus of those stars.
    of course rte can't 100% follow normal business practices because if it did then there would be no minority or other commercially non-viable programming. but given it is expected to take in some commercial income, then it has to follow some business practice to a small extent.
    essentiallly rte is expected to be all things to everyone by many and it is not possible for it to fulfil that remit. so there needs to be a conversation around what programming it needs to provide and a willingness by government and the people to support rte in making those changes.

Do they bring in serious returns?

they must at least bring in enough returns to justify whatever they are getting otherwise i can't see them getting what they are getting. perhapse at the moment they may not be serious returns given the country is just coming out of recovery but perhapse if they did bring in such when things were good last time they will again.
    RTÉ have always avoided Morning TV, they had a case when the produced strong prime time TV, but now even their break for Today on RTÉ1 arrogant.

sure and i would disagree with them doing so and believe they should not ignore it.
    but to be fair when rte is expected to be both commercial and public service at the same time, then this is probably what is going to happen unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,682 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Do the top earners justify their wages? i.e do they create more money than they cost?

If so it would be monumentally stupid to get rid of them.

There is your line, if they are not making a return, into a cannon with the lot of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

The problem as regards quality and value for money is these people are promoted by RTE as key people. Most of them came from RTE families. Look at Ryan Tubbs. Bred for the LLS. Been on RTE since he was a snot nosed kid. So give him plumb jobs and then say we need him? Sounds like complete bull. Look at Lottie Ryan, muck. In several years she'll be another 'talent' we can't do without. It's complete bull.

Boggles wrote: »
    Do the top earners justify their wages? i.e do they create more money than they cost?

If so it would be monumentally stupid to get rid of them.

There is your line, if they are not making a return, into a cannon with the lot of them.

Yes but the question is would the late late show suffer huge losses in viewers without Tubardy, would a show where people ring in and complain lose viewers without Joe? Would Tubardy and Joe even leave if they were only paid 100k where they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,682 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Yes but the question is would the late late show suffer huge losses in viewers without Tubardy, would a show where people ring in and complain lose viewers without Joe? Would Tubardy and Joe even leave if they were only paid 100k where they are.

Sure what difference does it make if the shows are in fact making losses?

Neither are those shows are essential public services.

Get rid of them.

If they are paying their way, keep them. Pay the presenters relative to the value they bring, which could mean increases of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Tubbs has nowhere to go. I'd say they'd both either stay or sign up to some Irish indie. Both easily replaced that's the thing.

Boggles wrote: »
    Sure what difference does it make if the shows are in fact making losses?

Neither are those shows are essential public services.

Get rid of them.

If they are paying their way, keep them. Pay the presenters relative to the value they bring, which could mean increases of course.

What I meant was a response to your last post. It appears, or it can be claimed that they are paying their way if you look at the shows numbers but the real question is how much of that is the show or the time slot and how much of that is the presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

that is fine as long as we aren't forced to potentially pay a higher licence fee to make up any shortfall in advertising lost from the exodus of those stars.
    of course rte can't 100% follow normal business practices because if it did then there would be no minority or other commercially non-viable programming. but given it is expected to take in some commercial income, then it has to follow some business practice to a small extent.
    essentiallly rte is expected to be all things to everyone by many and it is not possible for it to fulfil that remit. so there needs to be a conversation around what programming it needs to provide and a willingness by government and the people to support rte in making those changes.

they must at least bring in enough returns to justify whatever they are getting otherwise i can't see them getting what they are getting. perhapse at the moment they may not be serious returns given the country is just coming out of recovery but perhapse if they did bring in such when things were good last time they will again.

sure and i would disagree with them doing so and believe they should not ignore it.
    but to be fair when rte is expected to be both commercial and public service at the same time, then this is probably what is going to happen unfortunately.

The returns the "stars" generate doesn't determine what they're paid, or at least it shouldn't. The market should determine that. And the commercial competition has very limited resources to compete on wages, so wages in Irish broadcasting should be low.

However RTE doesn't believe in the market, but firmly believes in the gravy train.

The returns the "stars" generate doesn't determine what they're paid, or at least it shouldn't. The market should determine that. And the commercial competition has very limited resources to compete on wages, so wages in Irish broadcasting should be low.

However RTE doesn't believe in the market, but firmly believes in the gravy train.

given rte broadcasts to the whole nation, low wages, or wages similar to the average broadcaster on the average for example, music station, are not going to happen.
    the market is likely already playing a part in the decision over wages, how much of a part is anyone's guess but i would be surprised if it is not involved any bit. after all how many of us thought pat kenny could be attracted away from rte?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,225 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

given rte broadcasts to the whole nation, low wages, or wages similar to the average broadcaster on the average for example, music station, are not going to happen.
    the market is likely already playing a part in the decision over wages, how much of a part is anyone's guess but i would be surprised if it is not involved any bit. after all how many of us thought pat kenny could be attracted away from rte?

And yet when he left he did not carry a major portion of his audience with him. Its the brand that sell the advertizing compared to the name of the host.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement