Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese atrocities = silence?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

_blaaz wrote: »
    Tbf its a thundering disgrace that noone.pulls china up on human right abuses.

Everyone kinda ignores it coz muh cheap iphones....its pure wrong

True I mean we never boycott anything. We would have to boycott EVERYTHING!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Tbf its a thundering disgrace that noone.pulls china up on human right abuses.

Everyone kinda ignores it coz muh cheap iphones....its pure wrong

iPhones aren’t that cheap.

To reduce some of the hysteria here - the chinese have 116 people per 100,000 in jail. Less than the U.K. Far less than the US. (About 600).

This concern about China is fairly typical of anytime the west is challenged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

To reduce some of the hysteria here - the chinese have 116 people per 100,000 in jail. Less than the U.K. Far less than the US. (About 600).

They have a whole host of problems and their prision rate isnt particularly high

Massive restrictions on freedoms that would be taken as norm in the west are just not allowed there (evem a brief read on what happened in runup to beijing olmpics is wrong to anyone)

.......the reason noone bothers there arse to tackle the issue is as far as i can see that china provides cheap tat to the west......they have basically undercut manufacter wages the world over and everyone turns blind eye to human rights abuse and its pure wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭victor8600

beejee wrote: »
    Theres another scandal about vast numbers of Chinese cheating their way into American colleges, spys left right and center keeping an eye on "things"

These people do not care about anything other than improving China for Chinese people.

On no, what horror!

Seriously though, pushing change onto others rarely works well. We have to defend our own freedom and hope that other countries see the benefits and follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

victor8600 wrote: »
    On no, what horror!

Seriously though, pushing change onto others rarely works well. We have to defend our own freedom and hope that other countries see the benefits and follow suit.

My point was and is that the Chinese are aggressively expansionist and reaping vast reward from it. Allowing them more leeway is disastrous.

Of the few Chinese people I know to any extent, 2 of them carry the little red book. That's living in ireland. Appeasement has no place now.

China, almost literally, has become orwells 1984. There's no shining a light on people like that. If it was contained within their own borders it could be ignored, but it's clear as crystal they have plans to take over everything they can.

Africa is fast becoming a Chinese owned resource, and they're looking to South and central America next.

At what point do you do something proactive about it? Now, while you have the means, or later when you're weaker and they're stronger?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Why is there barely a peep...

They've been condemned over and over...

There's little to no sense being made here. You claim there's barely a peep then you say they are being condemned consistently... which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Remember if it's not America doing it , everything is fine and dandy .

Wait till Hong Kong really kicks off and the Chinese military arrive in numbers for tiananmen square 2

There's little to no sense being made here. You claim there's barely a peep then you say they are being condemned consistently... which is it?

If you read with your eyeballs as opposed to your ears you'd see what I wrote.

There is a difference between social attention and a UN report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Move along, nothing to see here.

Move along, nothing to see here.

See people actually believe what the Chinese government actually tell them ......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭Odhinn

That's according to who though. It doesn't - afaik - include those "detained" for "re-education".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

China has literally pushed its way out of extreme poverty faster than any other society in history. And the Chinese aren’t scared of the government - it’s authoritarian rather than totalitarian.

I don’t know.
    Any time I’ve been to China when you really chat with locals they are very careful what they say. They are terrified that the party will get wind they are speaking against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

They have a whole host of problems and their prision rate isnt particularly high

Massive restrictions on freedoms that would be taken as norm in the west are just not allowed there (evem a brief read on what happened in runup to beijing olmpics is wrong to anyone)

.......the reason noone bothers there arse to tackle the issue is as far as i can see that china provides cheap tat to the west......they have basically undercut manufacter wages the world over and everyone turns blind eye to human rights abuse and its pure wrong
    Everybody is turning a blind eye to what is happening in America and we have some influence there.
    Extreme racism including the police force, black people getting way longer sentences than whites, concentration camps, death penalty, actual life sentences, war mongoring round the world, president who has sexually assaulted women, regular mass murdering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

_Brian wrote: »
    Everybody is turning a blind eye to what is happening in America and we have some influence there.
    Extreme racism including the police force, black people getting way longer sentences than whites, concentration camps, death penalty, actual life sentences, war mongoring round the world, president who has sexually assaulted women, regular mass murdering.

America is a joke the way they carry on....they elected a cartoon villain (he literally has a mega tower named after himself ffs) and long term twitter troll president

It has gone as well as could be expected :pac:

....but 1 good to come from.it...is decades of bitterenss and subjects brushed aside in name of political correctness are now brought to the surface and now must be addressed properly......how long it takes for these to be sorted is another question

Everyone's turning a blind eye? Really?

Really?!

It's plastered in front of us day in day out. The hyperbole is off the charts.

Compare that to sanctioned body harvesting in china, just to name one thing.

They aren't remotely close in terms of inhuman treatment.

Yet only one of them has intense scrutiny, and the other may as well be in a different galaxy.

Why is that? Here's the inconvenient truth, it's because it "suits", it's because it's "easy".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I sometimes wonder when i see a thread like this is there some guy in China/south east Asia posting on their version of boards saying that their media ignores all the stories about clerical sex abuse in the catholic church that happened in Ireland.

Nosnon wrote: »
    I sometimes wonder when i see a thread like this is there some guy in China/south east Asia posting on their version of boards saying that their media ignores all the stories about clerical sex abuse in the catholic church that happened in Ireland.

If they were allowed an open forum, perhaps.

But clerical sex abuse from the past is nothing compared to what China is actively engaged in, and seek to spread elsewhere.

And it's the spreading part that makes it an international concern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Gatling wrote: »
    See people actually believe what the Chinese government actually tell them ......

Developmentally challenged people

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I don’t know.
    Any time I’ve been to China when you really chat with locals they are very careful what they say. They are terrified that the party will get wind they are speaking against it.

A relative of mine works there and is extremely careful what he says online or in private communications. He's pretty sure he's being monitored in some shape or form, and says the government is omnipresent in a polite authoritarian sort of way. They're there and they want you to know they are there, but they're not too obvious. He can't wait to come home.

A relative of mine works there and is extremely careful what he says online or in private communications. He's pretty sure he's being monitored in some shape or form, and says the government is omnipresent in a polite authoritarian sort of way. They're there and they want you to know they are there, but they're not too obvious. He can't wait to come home.
    Originally Posted by _Brian viewpost.gif
    I don’t know.

Yep. Same experience ...

You can't post anything political at all. Even like women's day or about children's rights. And you would be careful about talking about it at all.

You can't have those types of discussions in a classroom even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Nermal wrote: »
    They're not killing them, just 're-educating' them.

They've seen what has happened in Europe and don't want it happening to them.

Understandable.

they are not re-educating them. they are brutalising them because they are muslim. and you find that understandable, which is sickening.
    if they, and you think what happened in europe, and the actual genuine things that have happened rather then some nonsense about a muslim take over or white genocide, are going to be stopped from happening in china, then you are misguided. such behaviour from the chinese is likely to cause such attacks in backclash.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

My point was and is that the Chinese are aggressively expansionist and reaping vast reward from it. Allowing them more leeway is disastrous.

Of the few Chinese people I know to any extent, 2 of them carry the little red book. That's living in ireland. Appeasement has no place now.

China, almost literally, has become orwells 1984. There's no shining a light on people like that. If it was contained within their own borders it could be ignored, but it's clear as crystal they have plans to take over everything they can.

Africa is fast becoming a Chinese owned resource, and they're looking to South and central America next.

At what point do you do something proactive about it? Now, while you have the means, or later when you're weaker and they're stronger?

This reads like a 19C nationalistic rant - circa the great game. A modern yellow peril.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_Peril

they are not re-educating them. they are brutalising them because they are muslim. and you find that understandable, which is sickening.
    if they, and you think what happened in europe, and the actual genuine things that have happened rather then some nonsense about a muslim take over or white genocide, are going to be stopped from happening in china, then you are misguided. such behaviour from the chinese is likely to cause such attacks in backclash.

You don't get out from such camps. Not alive anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

Lets not forget what they're doing to Hong Kong. Sabbotaging it from the inside, corrupting their industry and government.

The recent protests shows just how angry Hong Kongers. Unfortunately their outrage was only met with condemnation and finger wagging from armchair internet commenters.
    Their entire culture and identity is being destroyed.

Last weeks destructive protests were met with heavy handed police tactics and many of the police involved reportedly couldn't even speak native Cantonese or English which the majority of Hong Kongers are fluent in, most were not displaying I.D badges and were clearly very inexperienced and jittery. Bussed in across the border from Shenzhen no doubt.

It breaks my heart because Hong Kong is a gem of a city. It's the strangest city in terms of just how diverse it is. It's a melting pot of culture and so much to experience there and so safe/pleasant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Pkiernan wrote: »
    It shows how racist the Left really are deep down.

They don't care about non whites in Asia.

really? the left as a whole are racist and don't care about non-whites in asia? that's interesting, presumably the right as a whole are completely non-racist and are doing anything and everything to solve the world's problems including for non-whites all over the world?

You don't get out from such camps. Not alive anyway.

some do, but i would agree a lot, probably most, certainly are unlikely to do so.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

This reads like a 19C nationalistic rant - circa the great game. A modern yellow peril.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_Peril

Funny how that was used as a colonialist excuse back then, and here you are using it as a waiver for a country with aggressive colonialist ambitions (realised and in the pipeline).

But it's "nationalist", therefore dirty and excusable :p

Funny how that was used as a colonialist excuse back then, and here you are using it as a waiver for a country with aggressive colonialist ambitions (realised and in the pipeline).

But it's "nationalist", therefore dirty and excusable :p

No just not America

Gatling wrote: »
    No just not America

I don't follow

• Advertisement

I don't follow

China , russia ,iran , Pakistan

Do bad **** it's fine .

America do something and it's America did this and America did that ,trump is doing this and trump is doing that.

China, Russia, Iran, Pakistan or several other basket case states carry out atrocities and all we get some how its America's fault

Advertisement