Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

America kills its 1,500th citizen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

In fairness that guy must have been ancient if he was the 1,500th citizen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

What crimes did the person commit, OP? Or is that not relevant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Welcome to the Current Affairs forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

He planned a killing but he didn’t actually pull the trigger. Anyway clearly after killing 1500 people, execution isn’t a deterrent clearly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

It's not relevant, the death penalty is abhorrent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

We're better off without them.
    Wonder would Peter Casey run on a capital punishment ticket?

Fair few could do with the rope

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I'm surprised it's so few TBH given they've over 2 million people incarcerated.

Works out around 35 people a year, or 0.0015% of the prison population.

I don't agree with Capital punishment though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Gael23 wrote: »
    He planned a killing but he didn’t actually pull the trigger. Anyway clearly after killing 1500 people, execution isn’t a deterrent clearly

Wilson was indicted for multiple counts — malice murder, felony murder, armed robbery, hijacking a motor vehicle, possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime and possession of a sawed-off shotgun — and was sentenced to death on November 7, 1997. (Butts, who was also convicted of murder, was executed last year.) Him and his buddy murdered a prison officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

We have 2 young felles here if they want 2 more

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Boy A could do with it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

He has been locked up for decades. He committed his crime before most of the 1500 were executed. So I'm not sure how you can say ‘isn’t a deterrent clearly’ based on this one case?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

He has been locked up for decades. He committed his crime before most of the 1500 were executed. So I'm not sure how you can say ‘isn’t a deterrent clearly’ based on this one case?

Murders are committed daily in death penalty states.

How many sociopaths do you think have been dissuaded from murder because they stopped and thought 'god, on the one hand I'd love to brutally murder this person, but on the other hand, there is the death penalty.' ?

In reality, the death penalty is there as a legacy of retributive pre-modern impulses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

^^^^^^
    Following this logic, they shouldn't be locked up in prison either :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Late last night the United States ended the life of its 1500th citizen since the reinstatement of capital punishment in 1976. No sign of the intentional killing stopping
    https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/6/20/18692915/marion-wilson-death-penalty-georgia-1500-execution-us-1976

approached Donovan Corey Parks, an off-duty corrections officer, in a Walmart store. They asked Parks for a ride, and witnesses saw the three men get in Parks’s car together. Shortly after, Parks was found face-down, dead on a residential street.

so they executed a murderer, boo f*cking hoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

topper75 wrote: »
    ^^^^^^
    Following this logic, they shouldn't be locked up in prison either :-)

Modern prison systems, as you know, trend towards rehabilitation rather than being punitive (although that is still an element of every prison system ever, and will remain so).

There is quite a moral, ethical and philosophical leap from denying an individual's liberty for transgressing society's rules (something almost everybody agrees with), to taking their life (something a minority in this country would probably agree with). So no, following my logic, no, I'm not opposed to prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

It’s not supposed to be a deterrent, capital punishment is recognition that some crimes are so serious that people deserve to die for them

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

I would have no problem if they brought back capital punishment here but the Irish judiciary are a joke as it is. The crazy part is the length of time people are on death row, the justice should be swifter , indeed cases where capital punishment is the sentence should be fast tracked. At the moment you just have lawyers appealing over and over drawing out the entire process for years making the situation worse for the families of the victims and costing the tax payer millions of dollars. Yes there will be miscarriages of justice but that has always been and will always be the case and is no justification for not having the death penalty. Is the death penalty a deterrent ? Those 1500 criminals executed could have killed many people who are alive today.

I find the argument on whether to have the death penalty or not depends on your stance on the existence of a higher power or not. It seems generally (but not all cases) that those who believe in a god find the notion of the death penalty repugnant. Personally if the crime is of a hideous nature that it denudes the victim of their humanity such as rape or murder then I have zero problem with that individual being removed from the face of the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Late last night the United States ended the life of its 1500th citizen since the reinstatement of capital punishment in 1976. No sign of the intentional killing stopping
    https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/6/20/18692915/marion-wilson-death-penalty-georgia-1500-execution-us-1976

How many of those 1,500 were found to be non-guilty after they were killed?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

Some people deserve to die for their crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It might not be a deterrent but it damn sure sorts out the chances of reoffending.

How many serious criminals here have gone on to rape or murder after release?
    It's all well and good till you're the victim of someone that shouldnt be outside a prison or alive at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

reg114 wrote: »
    It seems generally (but not all cases) that those who believe in a god find the notion of the death penalty repugnant.

Which is funny given how much death and destruction would that cvnt would have on his conscience if he existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

It might not be a deterrent but it damn sure sorts out the chances of reoffending.

How many serious criminals here have gone on to rape or murder after release?
    It's all well and good till you're the victim of someone that shouldnt be outside a prison or alive at all.

It's the one way to guarantee that a proven very dangerous person will not re-offend.

Its tragic in a way, a human life lost: but after a criminal killing, a judicial process, appeals etc. exhausted: and with the intention to keep the rest of population safe. Arguably can be deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

How many of those 1,500 were found to be non-guilty after they were killed?
    firstly let state i'm totally against the death penalty.
    to answer your question as far as i know, none. now many have been declared innocent whilst on death row and there are cases where the evidence suggests those executed may well have been innocent, but i suppose this is just an opinion, but there have been no cases of someone being exonerated by a court after an execution. I'm talking post 1976 here.

this is from memory so I'm open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

reg114 wrote: »
    It seems generally (but not all cases) that those who believe in a god find the notion of the death penalty repugnant.
    It seems to be the exact opposite IMHO.

Those with a strong faith in a supreme being seem to be the most comfortable with death as a punishment for serious crimes.

Not many atheists out blowing up places of worship or flying planes into buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Wonder how many it is outside the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

farmchoice wrote: »
    firstly let state i'm totally against the death penalty.
    to answer your question as far as i know, none. now many have been declared innocent whilst on death row and there are cases where the evidence suggests those executed may well have been innocent, but i suppose this is just an opinion, but there have been no cases of someone being exonerated by a court after an execution. I'm talking post 1976 here.

this is from memory so I'm open to correction.

Wikipedia says the following have been executed since 1976 and later found innocent
    Carlos DeLuna was executed in Texas in December 1989 for stabbing a gas station clerk to death. Subsequent investigations cast strong doubt upon DeLuna's guilt for the murder of which he had been convicted.[24][25] His execution came about six years after the crime was committed. The trial ended up attracting local attention, but it was never suggested that an innocent man was about to be punished while the actual killer went free. DeLuna was found blocks away from the crime scene with $149 in his pocket. From that point on, it went downhill for the young Carlos DeLuna. A wrongful eyewitness testimony is what formed the case against him. Unfortunately, DeLuna’s previous criminal record was very much used against him.[26] The real killer, Carlos Hernandez, was a repeat violent offender who actually had a history of slashing women with his unique buck knife, not to mention he looked very similar to Carlos DeLuna. Hernandez did not keep quiet about his murder; apparently he went around bragging about the killing of Lopez. In 1999, Hernandez was imprisoned for attacking his neighbor with a knife.[27]

Jesse Tafero was convicted of murder and executed via electric chair in May 1990 in the state of Florida for the murders of two Florida Highway Patrol officers. The conviction of a co-defendant was overturned in 1992 after a recreation of the crime scene indicated a third person had committed the murders.[28] Not only was Tafero wrongly accused, his electric chair malfunctioned as well – three times. As a result, Tafero’s head caught on fire. After this encounter, a debate was focused around humane methods of execution. Lethal injections became more common in the states rather than the electric chair.[29]

Johnny Garrett of Texas was executed in February 1992 for allegedly raping and murdering a nun. In March 2004 cold-case DNA testing identified Leoncio Rueda as the rapist and murderer of another elderly victim killed four months earlier.[30] Immediately following the nun's murder, prosecutors and police were certain the two cases were committed by the same assailant.[31] The flawed case is explored in a 2008 documentary entitled The Last Word.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrongful_execution#United_States

Jesse Tafero *****ng hell innocent and they botched the execution of him three times. I feel like crying for the man!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Wikipedia says the following have been executed since 1976 and later found innocent

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrongful_execution#United_States

Jesse Tafero *****ng hell innocent and they botched the execution of him three times. I feel like crying for the man!

Thanks - that's 3 too many and shows why death penalty is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

none of those people were posthumously found Innocent but it looks like they may well have been.
    it is suspected they may have been innocent on review of the evidence or after someone uncover new evidence. but it was not courts doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

none of those people were posthumously found Innocent but it looks like they may well have been.
    it is suspected they may have been innocent on review of the evidence or after someone uncover new evidence. but it was not courts doing this.

do you know why courts did not do it? Because they were already dead. It is very hard to appeal from the afterlife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

American courts are a disgrace though. You can't just overturn a conviction by proving innocence.
    Herrera v. Collins, 506 U.S. 390 (1993), was a case in which the Supreme Court of the United States ruled by 6 votes to 3 that a claim of actual innocence does not entitle a petitioner to federal habeas corpus relief by way of the Eighth Amendment's ban on cruel and unusual punishment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herrera_v._Collins

Advertisement