Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat 2019/20

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭McBain11

We are definitely in the scenario of what are the least worst options.

For h2h leagues and h2h leagues with cups in the later round, there is no saving them. FPL have made a complete shambles of them.

For regular leagues, there are 3 possible options most likely -

1. If PL resumes FPL put gw39 onwards in with possibly extra WC or whatever thrown in. I think this is the preferable option overall in terms of fairness.

2. FPL ends tomorrow. Leagues are over and whoever is top of their respective leagues are the champions.

3. If PL resumes, FPL put in a monster gw38. This is by far and away the least fair option imo. A bench boost in this scenario would be worth 100-200 points. If that happens, which most of us thought was likely before yesterdays FPL communication, it would have been a fitting way for the FPL to finish a sh*t show of a season from their point of view.

So hopefully, option 1 comes into play now. I think it's the fairest way overall. The big question is why did the FPL overlords not have any communication with everyone over the past 2 months? If it is possible to resume with a gw39 onwards, was it possible to pause the game at gw30?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Darksoul

McBain11 wrote: »
    We are definitely in the scenario of what are the least worst options.

For h2h leagues and h2h leagues with cups in the later round, there is no saving them. FPL have made a complete shambles of them.

For regular leagues, there are 3 possible options most likely -

1. If PL resumes FPL put gw39 onwards in with possibly extra WC or whatever thrown in. I think this is the preferable option overall in terms of fairness.

2. FPL ends tomorrow. Leagues are over and whoever is top of their respective leagues are the champions.

3. If PL resumes, FPL put in a monster gw38. This is by far and away the least fair option imo. A bench boost in this scenario would be worth 100-200 points. If that happens, which most of us thought was likely before yesterdays FPL communication, it would have been a fitting way for the FPL to finish a sh*t show of a season from their point of view.

So hopefully, option 1 comes into play now. I think it's the fairest way overall. The big question is why did the FPL overlords not have any communication with everyone over the past 2 months? If it is possible to resume with a gw39 onwards, was it possible to pause the game at gw30?

Have you used your bench already though? I haven't because my plan was to use it for a double gameweek couple of weeks back.

If I knew gw38 was one big gameweek of course im going to take advantage of the bench boost, not my problem my rivals in private group used those chips earlier in the previous gameweeks, I think those that used thier wildcards as well shouldn't get another wildcard because it's helping those who used that chip already basically a escape card to help them out.

Either way this it has been a disaster anyways, btw I'm 4th in my league and I know they pretty much used all thier chips,hence before the Corona virus happened, my chips will pay off in the end,doesn't mean il top the table.

You are looking at it purely from an individual point of view. I am looking at it from an overall point of view. I have used my bench boost, and I'm currently placed top 10 ish in most of my paid leagues. I've had an ok season, but highly unlikely I'll cash in too many leagues no matter what way the season would have played out before the postponements or now does play out.

By a distance the most unfair thing to do imo would be to have a monster gw38. If it happens, it happens and we move on. For anyone to tell me that getting 9 or 10 fixtures from a bench boost chip instead of 1/2 fixtures for those 4 extra players is fair - well I don't know what to say to you. It would be an utter farce and make a complete mockery of the game. What would you be hoping for from such a bench boost - 150 points?

Tbh, I'll be happy once the season is over, hopefully plays out some bit fairly, and I can square away the monies for the few leagues that I'm running.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,028 ✭✭✭✭CSF

You are looking at it purely from an individual point of view. I am looking at it from an overall point of view. I have used my bench boost, and I'm currently placed top 10 ish in most of my paid leagues. I've had an ok season, but highly unlikely I'll cash in too many leagues no matter what way the season would have played out before the postponements or now does play out.

By a distance the most unfair thing to do imo would be to have a monster gw38. If it happens, it happens and we move on. For anyone to tell me that getting 9 or 10 fixtures from a bench boost chip instead of 1/2 fixtures for those 4 extra players is fair - well I don't know what to say to you. It would be an utter farce and make a complete mockery of the game. What would you be hoping for from such a bench boost - 150 points?

Tbh, I'll be happy once the season is over, hopefully plays out some bit fairly, and I can square away the monies for the few leagues that I'm running.

I think the definition of fair is pretty hard to throw around here.

IMO the fairest move would have been to stop the gameweeks when it closed and rejig them if/when they’re rescheduled.

However, once they decide that the gameweek deadlines stand as planned, then fairness should become synonymous with consistency.

And consistency would mean one monster GW38. Because all the other gameweeks closed when the next one started. There is no close date set for 38 so they’re within their parameters to do that, whereas they have no legitimate case to go creating new gameweeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

CSF wrote: »

IMO the fairest move would have been to stop the gameweeks when it closed and rejig them if/when they’re rescheduled.

However, once they decide that the gameweek deadlines stand as planned, then fairness should become synonymous with consistency.

And consistency would mean one monster GW38. Because all the other gameweeks closed when the next one started. There is no close date set for 38 so they’re within their parameters to do that, whereas they have no legitimate case to go creating new gameweeks now.

I will never understand why they just didn’t “pause “ the game as you say

• Advertisement

I don't genuinely how anyone could see a monster gw38 as fair. The chips would skew the game to a massive degree and make a farce of it.

Without doubt the fairest thing was to pause the game in gw30. If they had the ability to do that, and decided not to, they are complete idiots.

I am only listing what I believe are the least worst of all the bad options. They are essentially all bad options. I think having a chip that should be worth 15-20 points at times end up being possibly worth anywhere from 100-200 points is well beyond the realms of fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

If I was FPL Commissioner i'd....
    - announce the fixtures and GW's.
    - give everyone a wildcard to use the week before fixtures start to undo anything they've done through the blanks.
    - essentially then everyone has a "fixed" team and the points they had before the breaks. We can start from fresh then.
    - anyone who has wildcards/BB/TC's left can continue to use them for GW32-38.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

I never understood why some thought they're would be a monster gameweek in 38, makes no sense to me anyways. Game should have been paused until it resumed for fairness imo

I never understood why some thought they're would be a monster gameweek in 38, makes no sense to me anyways. Game should have been paused until it resumed for fairness imo

Without doubt game should have been paused if possible. Forgetting regular leagues, whatever happens now has destroyed h2h leagues imo.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    If I was FPL Commissioner i'd....
    - announce the fixtures and GW's.
    - give everyone a wildcard to use the week before fixtures start to undo anything they've done through the blanks.
    - essentially then everyone has a "fixed" team and the points they had before the breaks. We can start from fresh then.
    - anyone who has wildcards/BB/TC's left can continue to use them for GW32-38.

This is what I expect will happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Imagine some players effectively having a 7 gameweek BB and some don't. Its an absolute farce if they do that.

Imagine some players effectively having a 7 gameweek BB and some don't. Its an absolute farce if they do that.

We should have seen it coming and not played it earlier in season :D

Nine gws if I'm not wrong. With 4 teams having 10 fixtures remaining.

If your 4 bench boost players did nothing but play 90 mins every match you are getting 72 points in that scenario at worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Because they kept saying that they would keep with the original deadlines and never hinted at anything else until yesterday. It really kind of only suggested one thing no matter how daft it seemed! If they had said what they said yesterday a few weeks ago would have saved it all that monster gw speculation.

I don't genuinely how anyone could see a monster gw38 as fair. The chips would skew the game to a massive degree and make a farce of it.

Without doubt the fairest thing was to pause the game in gw30. If they had the ability to do that, and decided not to, they are complete idiots.

I am only listing what I believe are the least worst of all the bad options. They are essentially all bad options. I think having a chip that should be worth 15-20 points at times end up being possibly worth anywhere from 100-200 points is well beyond the realms of fair.

Well, my definition of fair would be sticking to the rules, rather than the outcome that disadvantages the least people. I think any scenario is fair as long as it is consistent.

People were harshly impacted by the DGW being shelved by Arsenal v City being cancelled, but it was fair because it was a consistent application of their rules.

Pausing the gameweeks when there were no gameweeks would have been that, as the gameweek deadline time has always shifted to the first game of that week anyway.

A monster gameweek 38 achieves that now that they didn’t do the above, because the gameweeks don’t have expiry dates by design.

Alternative approaches are basically them making up the rules as they go along, to assure the fewest people affected, which feels wrong.

A monster gameweek 38 achieves that now that they didn’t do the above, because the gameweeks don’t have expiry dates by design.

They absolutely do
    Approx 45 minutes after the gameweek deadline we can pick out team for the following week. We can make transfers
    All before a ball is kicked in the current gameweek

I can not recall a single instance where games have been added to a gameweek after the deadline has passed which is what you are suggesting could happen ?
    They have moved within a gameweek but teams has been set and transfers made so it didn’t affect things

I’m sorry adding all fixtures in after gw 38 DEADLINE passes would be absolute nonsense

km79 wrote: »
    They absolutely do
    Approx 45 minutes after the gameweek deadline we can pick out team for the following week. We can make transfers
    All before a ball is kicked in the current gameweek

I can not recall a single instance where games have been added to a gameweek after the deadline has passed which is what you are suggesting could happen ?
    They have moved within a gameweek but teams has been set and transfers made so it didn’t affect things

I’m sorry adding all fixtures in after gw 38 DEADLINE passes would be absolute nonsense

Man United v Bournemouth saw the gameweek deadline extended because the GW38 game had to be rescheduled. If that game had been in any other gameweek, the rearranged game would have been pushed into another gameweek, so it is a relevant precedent on a much smaller scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,813 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Shedite27 wrote:
    If I was FPL Commissioner i'd.... - announce the fixtures and GW's. - give everyone a wildcard to use the week before fixtures start to undo anything they've done through the blanks. - essentially then everyone has a "fixed" team and the points they had before the breaks. We can start from fresh then. - anyone who has wildcards/BB/TC's left can continue to use them for GW32-38.
    I'm sorry but if you were messing around with your team during blank gameweeks then tough. No way should anybody get an extra wildcard.

Man United v Bournemouth saw the gameweek deadline extended because the GW38 game had to be rescheduled. If that game had been in any other gameweek, the rearranged game would have been pushed into another gameweek, so it is a relevant precedent on a much smaller scale.

Man city game earlier this season was also postponed and also rearranged within the same gameweek
    So both games remained within original gameweeks

Also and very importantly at the time of the gameweek deadlines the united and city were NOT postponed. So it did not affect people's thinkings regarding team selections, captains etc. They were both postponed after the deadline had already passes

Are you really suggesting that after tomorrows deadline passes it is acceptable that all games are retrospectively added to the gameweek?
    I think I would just delete my team

km79 wrote: »
    Man city game earlier this season was also postponed and also rearranged within the same gameweek
    So both games remained within original gameweeks

Also and very importantly at the time of the gameweek deadlines the united and city were NOT postponed. So it did not affect people's thinkings regarding team selections, captains etc. They were both postponed after the deadline had already passes

Are you really suggesting that after tomorrows deadline passes it is acceptable that all games are retrospectively added to the gameweek?
    I think I would just delete my team

That has been the expectation of many on here and Twitter. Hence, the many wildcards played in 37 and talk of chips in 38 just incase.

Given their insistence on playing out all the gameweeks, GW39 and beyond did not feel like a possibility to me until yesterday’s message.

• Advertisement

That has been the expectation of many on here and Twitter. Hence, the many wildcards played in 37 and talk of chips in 38 just incase.

Given their insistence on playing out all the gameweeks, GW39 and beyond did not feel like a possibility to me until yesterday’s message.

Nor me
    I assumed it was just going to end!

And of course it might depending on how things go with the Bundesliga. They are looking at that closely I would imagine !

I expected they might add all the games to gw38 myself. Just because you, I and others expected that doesn't make it fair though. Having a chip generally worth about 20 points become a chip potentially worth 200 points or so would be the height of nonsense. No matter what any of us expected, it would be the least fair way for the FPL season to pan out.

This is all on FPL and their lack of communication. If the game could be paused at gw30 that is what definitely should have happened. They massively f*cked up there. Since that decision was made, it's only a matter if which terrible ending to the season is the least worse and most fair imo.

Having a monster gw38 completely distorts the entire season with the chips available, so this is by far the worst option imo. I would much prefer them to end the game tomorrow with the teams currently top winning their leagues, than see the farce of a monster gw38 play out.

Even their most recent (only?) statement was vague.

Just noticed FFS put up a very brief article on it.

No sign of any of the more well known players or social media/podcast/website businesses slating FPL which is a shame.

They kind of had a responsibility to their paying customers to push FPL for answers. Why are all these serious businesses staying so quiet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

No sign of any of the more well known players or social media/podcast/website businesses slating FPL which is a shame.

They kind of had a responsibility to their paying customers to push FPL for answers. Why are all these serious businesses staying so quiet ?

Yeah I had been keeping an eye on Twitter and ffs for some sort of backlash but was surprised how little there was. It's a shame we don't ha e ufpl as it feels like if we were paying customers we really should have expected more.

In fairness it prob is hard seen as the PL have not refixed fixtures

It is good to be back talking about it though.
    I would like to finish out my final season over the summer if possible after all. I am likely to fall back in rank and lose top spot in a few leagues but it is better than it petering out. And who knows what would have happened in those leagues then anyway!

jimmii wrote: »
    Yeah I had been keeping an eye on Twitter and ffs for some sort of backlash but was surprised how little there was. It's a shame we don't ha e ufpl as it feels like if we were paying customers we really should have expected more.

There are not many more obsessive than myself about the game but I have had absolutely no interest in it for the past 2 months. I did not care what happened due to the real life situation we were in. So I can understand the apathy
    However now I WANT A FREE WILDCARD GOD DAMN IT :D

I expected they might add all the games to gw38 myself. Just because you, I and others expected that doesn't make it fair though. Having a chip generally worth about 20 points become a chip potentially worth 200 points or so would be the height of nonsense. No matter what any of us expected, it would be the least fair way for the FPL season to pan out.

This is all on FPL and their lack of communication. If the game could be paused at gw30 that is what definitely should have happened. They massively f*cked up there. Since that decision was made, it's only a matter if which terrible ending to the season is the least worse and most fair imo.

Having a monster gw38 completely distorts the entire season with the chips available, so this is by far the worst option imo. I would much prefer them to end the game tomorrow with the teams currently top winning their leagues, than see the farce of a monster gw38 play out.

I completely agree with you that the problems were created with their nonsense in the first place,

But with where we are now, it is my opinion that the fairest approach is not the one that impacts people the least, and rather the one that complied with their rules in some way.

I completely agree with you that the problems were created with their nonsense in the first place,

But with where we are now, it is my opinion that the fairest approach is not the one that impacts people the least, and rather the one that complied with their rules in some way.

Season is over tomorrow so and I win a lot of my leagues :D

CSF, I just don't think it complies with their rules though, does it? As km79 was saying, these gameweeks have timescales where they end, and even if they have in the past rescheduled a fixture after a deadline, it was never weeks after the deadline had passed (as will surely be the case here as I imagine in the very best case scenario we see a fixture schedule in 2 plus weeks time).

So, it's very loose to say that this is fair as it's going by the rules. I just think the distortion would be so bad from a monster gw38, it would make the whole thing laughable. That surely can't be the fairest way to play this out.

I agree though, this has all been caused by an FPL lack of communication. Who knows, even after that vague communication yesterday they might still have a monster gw38! As Klopporama mentioned about the lack of criticism over their handling, the silence on all fronts has been deafening, and tbh a huge amount of the good has been taken out of the game for me no matter how it plays out.

It's a real pity, because I've really enjoyed FPL down the years, and the FSA forum on here is a brilliant community, but you'd have to seriously reconsider playing cash leagues after this clusterf*ck of a season.

• Advertisement

CSF, I just don't think it complies with their rules though, does it? As km79 was saying, these gameweeks have timescales where they end, and even if they have in the past rescheduled a fixture after a deadline, it was never weeks after the deadline had passed (as will surely be the case here as I imagine in the very best case scenario we see a fixture schedule in 2 plus weeks time).

So, it's very loose to say that this is fair as it's going by the rules. I just think the distortion would be so bad from a monster gw38, it would make the whole thing laughable. That surely can't be the fairest way to play this out.

I agree though, this has all been caused by an FPL lack of communication. Who knows, even after that vague communication yesterday they might still have a monster gw38! As Klopporama mentioned about the lack of criticism over their handling, the silence on all fronts has been deafening, and tbh a huge amount of the good has been taken out of the game for me no matter how it plays out.

It's a real pity, because I've really enjoyed FPL down the years, and the FSA forum on here is a brilliant community, but you'd have to seriously reconsider playing cash leagues after this clusterf*ck of a season.

I haven’t seen anything concrete to suggest there are deadlines to when gameweeks end. Particularly GW38.

Advertisement