Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat 2019/20

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,695 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

km79 wrote: »
    If he hasn’t got sent off then they might not have conceded as many !
    So he costs other defenders points in the process .....

In addition, if you were getting to post 60 min mark, you would prefer your defender getting sent off than conceding, as you would lose less points, which would be just bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,906 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Haven't looked into the stats of the type of goals being scored, but do you think that there are a lot less clean sheets this season to date, because of VAR, gone is the time of dragging out of players at corners/free kicks etc, because defenders know that VAR will be there to check on incidents?

Yes VAR may not be overruling to many non penalties awards, but surely it is having some bearing on mindsets?

Is it a case that defenders are simple not good at defending, but this has been masked over the years, as you could drag/hold onto players and get away with it as there was so much going on the ref just applied the 6/1 half a dozen to the other approach and gave nothing?

Have VAR actually awarded any penalties to date? I’m struggling to think of one. Was Wolves vs Burnley given by VAR after referee hadnt given?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Haven't looked into the stats of the type of goals being scored, but do you think that there are a lot less clean sheets this season to date, because of VAR, gone is the time of dragging out of players at corners/free kicks etc, because defenders know that VAR will be there to check on incidents?

Yes VAR may not be overruling to many non penalties awards, but surely it is having some bearing on mindsets?

Is it a case that defenders are simple not good at defending, but this has been masked over the years, as you could drag/hold onto players and get away with it as there was so much going on the ref just applied the 6/1 half a dozen to the other approach and gave nothing?

Not sure if VAR is to blame but I think the fact that more teams are favouring an attacking approach in their general play is leading to it.

At one point in time, there was a significant number of teams who would batten down the hatches and try to grind out 0-0, 1-0, etc. It meant both that a) some teams were focused more on organisation and keeping clean sheets and b) their opponents were not facing regular, potent attacks, both of which would lead to a reduction in goals at either end of the pitch.

But there seems to be way less of this - the likes of Norwich, Vila, etc play some bit of attacking football and while it may not always lead to points, they tend to create chances in games. Look at Norwich losing 4-1 to Liverpool on the opening day; if that was a previous season with, say, a defensive-minded Stoke or West Brom, it may have ended 2-0. Less open at the back so fewer goals conceded but also less likely to score themselves.

That's a more gradual thing over the last decade but it certainly seems that the PL has very few banker, bus-parking defences than it used to. Makes it harder to pluck out a cheap defender from a bottom half side - I'm definitely getting fewer defensive points than I did in previous years.

CSF wrote: »
    Have VAR actually awarded any penalties to date? I’m struggling to think of one. Was Wolves vs Burnley given by VAR after referee hadnt given?

I don't think so, but have we seen the same sort of pulling/dragging out of players at corners/free kicks this season?

The problem with VAR I think is the rule they apply to it - obvious mistake by ref or something like that, handball that leads to a goal is not subjective, it's a free out regardless, but a tackle for instance will always be subjective. If the ref gives it or not, is not an obvious mistake, unless it's a dive.

During the international break, they said there were only 4 instances of penalties not given that should have been, as they were clear and obvious mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,241 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Having my worst season ever. Outside the top 4m. Is it worth subscribing to fpl scout or just write off the season? In a few money leagues but I'm already about 100 points down on the top 50k

I'm same. Disastrous. 4.45m OR. But it's early days yet. My team needs major surgery.
    Personally I wouldn't subscribe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭steve_r

Lads - where can find a metric like XGc (expected goals conceded)? It's not on Understat.

Whoscored have a "defensive rating" but what I'm looking for is who gives up the least chances from open play.

On a WC and having trouble picking a back 5 I like

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

I don't think so, but have we seen the same sort of pulling/dragging out of players at corners/free kicks this season?

The problem with VAR I think is the rule they apply to it - obvious mistake by ref or something like that, handball that leads to a goal is not subjective, it's a free out regardless, but a tackle for instance will always be subjective. If the ref gives it or not, is not an obvious mistake, unless it's a dive.

During the international break, they said there were only 4 instances of penalties not given that should have been, as they were clear and obvious mistakes.

On that, the one big thing I’ve noticed is that unlike previous like WC they has been no, I think you should have a 2nd look at that ref. Or has there or has the rule changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Wolves are quickly becoming my injury time nemesis.

GW3 - 97th minute goal to wipeout Pope CS
    GW6 - 96th minute goal to wipeout PVA CS

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭sheroman01

• Registered Users Posts: 22,525 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

• Advertisement

There’s a bit of a stink off that given they told the first lad (the one that nobody seems to like although I wasn’t aware of him myself previously) that they weren’t able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭nullObjects

It's also not great that we don't know what happened.

They seem to imply it was because it was because of giving credentials away to one of the other third parties in the follow up tweet but they don't outright say what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Huge can of worms opened

I think it’s proper disgusting someone hacked an account. Utterly pointless. But if you or I had their account deleted at the weekend what happens? They’d roll their eyes and say tough shit. And how many emails are they going to get this and next week asking them the same thing? I hope people post their replies from FPL when then they get the shrugged shoulders.

This is exactly how I feel about it. We’d all be absolutely crushed if this happened to us, so I’m happy that people aren’t left feeling that way. But reality is almost certainly if it was me or you we’d have been left feeling that way. They basically proved as much by shooting down the first lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Well of course that's going to be the case, theres millions of people playing this free game they'd never in a million years have the resources to properly investigate every issue.

Same thing if your YouTube account was hacked, Google won't care but they'd do something if it was PewDiePie or whatever

Well of course that's going to be the case, theres millions of people playing this free game they'd never in a million years have the resources to properly investigate every issue.

Same thing if your YouTube account was hacked, Google won't care but they'd do something if it was PewDiePie or whatever

You say all that like it’s ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

You say all that like it’s ok.

It might be unfair but it has to be. They can't investigate every thing. Maybe if people want to pay some sort of insurance for their free game they can protect their account but again, unfair. How far would YouTube go to investigate account problems? Videos uploaded? Time in existence? Subscribers? Has to be a line. YouTube's is who makes them money. FPL's is who kicks up the most fuss with the most supporters to affect their image it seems. Such is life.

dsmythy wrote: »
    It might be unfair but it has to be. They can't investigate every thing. Maybe if people want to pay some sort of insurance for their free game they can protect their account but again, unfair. How far would YouTube go to investigate account problems? Videos uploaded? Time in existence? Subscribers? Has to be a line. YouTube's is who makes them money. FPL's is who kicks up the most fuss with the most supporters to affect their image it seems. Such is life.

The line should be everything or nothing.

A simple approach of:
    1) We investigate cases of hacking
    2) We don’t investigate cases of hacking

There shouldn’t be a line based on how many Twitter followers you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

A simple approach of:

Not practical for a free game with millions of accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭McBain11

It may not be practical but surely all players should be treated to a level playing field, no? The game loses all credibility otherwise. As said already, a huge can of worms has been opened here.

• Advertisement

Not practical for a free game with millions of accounts.

Then don’t do it at all and you’ve achieved consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭patmac

Wish someone would delete my account and end the misery, might do it myself.
    I’m like a fan of one of those mid table lower division sides like Oldham, enter the season full of hope, ‘this is going to be my year’ and 6 games in it’s all over and I’m fighting relegation.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Then don’t do it at all and you’ve achieved consistency.

Which is the view they have always correctly taken

It’s also not even correct for people to say they were hacked ..........they (like many of us ) have their login details to a 3rd party . That’s not hacking . That is in hindsight stupidity

Is it any different to leaving yourself logged on a computer and a “friend “ deleting your team ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

patmac wrote: »
    Wish someone would delete my account and end the misery, might do it myself.
    I’m like a fan of one of those mid table lower division sides like Oldham, enter the season full of hope, ‘this is going to be my year’ and 6 games in it’s all over and I’m fighting relegation.

Easier said than done but still early days.

One good GW, higher than the average could propel you way up the OR

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

A simple approach of:

In relation to the comparison. PewPew probably generates a lot of money for YouTube etc just like these FPL people do for FPL. Of course the investigation is going to prioritise the money involved.

I personally don't see the issue with it myself but I understand why people do.

In relation to the comparison. PewPew probably generates a lot of money for YouTube etc just like these FPL people do for FPL. Of course the investigation is going to prioritise the money involved.

I personally don't see the issue with it myself but I understand why people do.
    Even if we accept this logic as reasonable (I don’t). Pewdiepie has 101 million YouTube followers. People who actively use YouTube every time they watch his YouTube videos.

These lads have between 4K and 36k Twitter followers whose social media platform isn’t even the same as the one hacked. That logic above doesn’t even apply.

Am I the only one who has no idea who PewPew is?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,501 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I thought it was you.

I know what he does but have never seen a video nor could I pick a face from a lineup :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Dearg81

There’s a bit of a stink off that given they told the first lad (the one that nobody seems to like although I wasn’t aware of him myself previously) that they weren’t able to help.

Did they give the first lad back his team too?

Advertisement