Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

Some suggestions that Cathal McInerney and Aaron Cunningham have left the Clare senior Hurling panel. Hope that Cathal might join the Clare senior footballers though.

The Galvin brothers are back, which is good news.

You might aswell consider Conlon back aswell. Fitzgerald aswell is joining up with the hurlers. Cunningham and McInerney going? please say it ain't so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 banner4change

Strong Clare team named for this Saturday's opening Munster minor football championship quarter final against Tipperary. Throw in time in Thurles this Saturday is at 5 pm. There are a lot of hopes for this Clare team, and I'm sure that Dermot Coughlan Jnr's managed side will be well drilled and prepared to put in a huge performance against the premier county. Best of luck to both players and management.

https://clare.gaa.ie/clareminor-football-team/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I think its being streamed live on TG4's YouTube channel.

Clare U20 football manager Michael Neylon will double up with his role as St Josephs Miltown manager for 2021, after a successful first stint where he guided the West Clare club to Jack Daly glory in 2015 and 2018.

We are meant to have a serious U20 team for 2021 and I have high hopes that they could compete for provincial honours, whenever this championship proceeds, most likely next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Treble double

Clare U20 football manager Michael Neylon will double up with his role as St Josephs Miltown manager for 2021, after a successful first stint where he guided the West Clare club to Jack Daly glory in 2015 and 2018.

We are meant to have a serious U20 team for 2021 and I have high hopes that they could compete for provincial honours, whenever this championship proceeds, most likely next summer.

In Coughlan and Neylon the minors and 20s have solid managers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Minor game will be on YouTube
    https://youtu.be/Prv421A7v10

Clare 1-24 Tipperary 1-4

Wow that was some performance from the Clare minor footballers. Brilliant football, massive work rate and some outstanding individual performances, all the team played magnificently not going to single one out as they are U17 but it was fantastic to watch.

Dermot Coughlan is the real deal, brilliant coach and a gent by all accounts. God I love him to manage the Clare senior footballers one day.

We are playing Limerick next Wednesday for a place in the Munster final at Miltown should be a great occasion, such a shame that fans aren’t allowed but this team has serious potential for sure.

A Clare minor footballers provincial final appearance and Jack Chaplin getting the Clare county board chairman role would be a nice Christmas present absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Treble double

Clare 1-24 Tipperary 1-4

Wow that was some performance from the Clare minor footballers. Brilliant football, massive work rate and some outstanding individual performances, all the team played magnificently not going to single one out as they are U17 but it was fantastic to watch.

Dermot Coughlan is the real deal, brilliant coach and a gent by all accounts. God I love him to manage the Clare senior footballers one day.

We are playing Limerick next Wednesday for a place in the Munster final at Miltown should be a great occasion, such a shame that fans aren’t allowed but this team has serious potential for sure.

A Clare minor footballers provincial final appearance and Jack Chaplin getting the Clare county board chairman role would be a nice Christmas present absolutely.

Looked very impressive, poor vintage at this level in Tipperary seemingly best players are playing with hurlers, dual players not allowed in Tipperary.
    Still can only beat what's in front of you and to do it by 20 poinsts is something else, have to mention McNamara from Cooraclare what a performance in the middle of the park

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭KIB4Life

Clare 1-24 Tipperary 1-4

Be great for sure if they could get to the final and in fairness there has been some good minor teams in the last few years and the Under 20 team this year was good as well, so you would hope that we could get Munster success in either minor or Under 20 level as I think we need a bit of success and to have beaten Kerry at underage level to make a step up and challenge them at Senior level.

I’d say a lot of these players will probably be involved in the u20 set up next year, the likes of Brendy Rouine, Fionn Kelliher, Brian McNamara, Dara Nagle, Diarmuid Fahey and Cillian McGroary I’d say will probably be in Mikie Neylon’s squad and along with the likes of Cillian Rouine, Emmet McMahon, Mark McInerney, Shane Meehan, Dara Conneely and Jamie Stack along with these lads the future of football looks fairly bright and you would hope that these lads can make a big challenge for the Under 20 championship.

We definitely need Jack Chaplin as chairman, if PJ McGuane gets the job the future is going to be bleak for GAA in the county, but the monkey in the room is the secretary as everyone knows. I seen Derrick Lynch mention that Clare had made no money from fundraising this year, and we really need to look at getting someone from a business background to get involved in Clare GAA.

Donie Garrihy was mentioned by Lynch and guys like Conor Clancy, Paul Madden and Donal Maloney to get involved in a committee to try and advise the county board on how to run the county board more efficiently. But I would say get rid of the yes men and have guys from a business background and have run businesses they needn’t have a GAA background in my opinion as someone from the outside might be best.

Another guy David Reidy has a marketing background and is involved in marketing the sport department in LIT, so why not get someone like him to get involved in marketing Clare GAA properly we have to look at what the likes of Dublin have done, I know there has been money given to them, but if there was the same sort of money given to the county board here I am not so sure that they would have used it effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

It's a great win, superb stuff but several questions need answers

1, Liam cahill changed the ethos of tipp under age hurling,/football by demanding the best hurlers try out for the County first before football

2, how many of these lads like say Shane meehan in the past have a future hurling for us,

3, coughlan is a serious manager in fairness, ideal to take over from colm in time to come but will he be garunteed the same from the board as Collins

The future is bright for football if everyone is singing from the same hymm sheet and we have plenty of non hurlers available

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Personally I've never been a fan of underage players make a decision over 1 sport or another, they should be allowed to try everything, OK if matches/training are at the same time they'll have to decide what to go to but otherwise whoever is best in the position plays.

I can't understand the need for the massive backroom teams, there is way too many people involved, there also doesn't seem to be a connection between the schools and county, Clare is lucky enough to have a number of strong schools well placed around the county they should be used as the development pathways.

Shane Meehan has the making of a brilliant footballer, I fear that he'll be lost in the hurling setup, no doubt there'll will be a transfer from the Banner in a near future for him under the guise of playing senior.

Finally, Eire Og supplied 4 hurlers and 1 footballer to the squads, considering a quarter of the county's population is based in Ennis this a very low representation but also shows what the urban areas are doing NoF only had 1, without a proper investment into urban development things are only going to get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭fire_man

I agree totally with size of backroom teams.Alot of hangers on with these teams which also add to costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Clareman wrote: »
    Personally I've never been a fan of underage players make a decision over 1 sport or another, they should be allowed to try everything, OK if matches/training are at the same time they'll have to decide what to go to but otherwise whoever is best in the position plays.

I can't understand the need for the massive backroom teams, there is way too many people involved, there also doesn't seem to be a connection between the schools and county, Clare is lucky enough to have a number of strong schools well placed around the county they should be used as the development pathways.

Shane Meehan has the making of a brilliant footballer, I fear that he'll be lost in the hurling setup, no doubt there'll will be a transfer from the Banner in a near future for him under the guise of playing senior.

Finally, Eire Og supplied 4 hurlers and 1 footballer to the squads, considering a quarter of the county's population is based in Ennis this a very low representation but also shows what the urban areas are doing NoF only had 1, without a proper investment into urban development things are only going to get worse.

alot of ubern areas are struggling interms of producing good players , look at cork for example , bar horgan most players that have been good for them have came from ruarl areas likes of nash , lehane harnedy and walsh for example

what eire og really need to do is take a trip down to cahirdavin and see how na piarisaigh have almost changed the face of hurling in the country in a short few years i have no doubt sixmilebridge have already

in terms of backroom staff , in the early parts of the campaigin they are training camps set up in 2 or 3 diffrent parts of the county and about 60 players are looked at before the panel is wittled down , coughlan usally has 3 diffrent coachs in each area , they serve a purpose up to a point , most of which have little imput when it gets to matchday though

I'd imagine most underage talents coming through will side with hurling because they see a brighter future. There's always a chance of winning a big title for them. The Clare hurling community thinks about all irelands and other titles, we expect them because we believe so strongly in our hurlers and have since the 90s I think. Whereas with football it's getting stronger and stronger but we have to fight cork and kerry in the province, keeping us down severely, and of course we're a little dot compared to Dublin. It would take years for us to get near either cork or kerry and it's next to impossible to ever reach Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭KIB4Life

Feenie wrote: »
    I'd imagine most underage talents coming through will side with hurling because they see a brighter future. There's always a chance of winning a big title for them. The Clare hurling community thinks about all irelands and other titles, we expect them because we believe so strongly in our hurlers and have since the 90s I think. Whereas with football it's getting stronger and stronger but we have to fight cork and kerry in the province, keeping us down severely, and of course we're a little dot compared to Dublin. It would take years for us to get near either cork or kerry and it's next to impossible to ever reach Dublin

Jesus I don’t think you know much about football, it would take us years to get near Cork we have beaten Cork the last 3 times we have met them in the league this included an 8 point win in 2017 and in 2019 we beat them by 9 points, so it could be argued that we are ahead of Cork particularly regarding Senior football, maybe Kerry a bit ahead of us, but if this year is anything to go by then they aren’t as good as they are made out to be. We have been reasonably competitive against them in Cusack Park only lost by 4 points in 2014, and lost by 6 in 2017 and 2019, so we shouldn’t fear them as much as Kerry aren’t the team of old.

Dublin you are right is a whole level above and they are going to be hard bet for the next few years, but to be honest I could see Limerick dominating in the hurling, Galway are the only team to be able to challenge them. Anyways Clare have the same chance of winning anything in the next few years in both codes and that is very slim, to be honest league is our best chance of winning something in both football and hurling.

Also about underage talent picking hurling, I’m not so sure like how many of the minor and Under 20 players this year are dual players, I know the likes of Shane Meehan and Cillian McGroary, but there is a lot of players in both them football teams that are football and football is their number one sport so I don’t think that is really an argument anymore.

I know there is good few dual players that play both codes in both county senior set ups but apart from Conor Cleary and Aidan McCarthy I don’t think the other lads that are in the hurling panel that are dual players are better footballers then what is in the football panel. Probably maybe the likes of Gary Brennan out of the lads that play football, would have been one of the only guys that would have made an impact in the hurling panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Toetohand

Finally, Eire Og supplied 4 hurlers and 1 footballer to the squads, considering a quarter of the county's population is based in Ennis this a very low representation but also shows what the urban areas are doing NoF only had 1, without a proper investment into urban development things are only going to get worse.[/quote]

There are 4 clubs playing in Ennis urban area as per development squads: Banner, Clarecastle and Doora Barefield as well. How do numbers stack up when their players are included?
    From my experience the most worrying large urban area is Shannon/ Tones. When you consider what they used to produce and what their now producing it’s very difficult to understand.
    I can remember a year when they won every title from 14s to minors with exception of 1 I believe across both codes. Is it structural, population shift or competition from other codes?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Toetohand wrote: »

There are 4 clubs playing in Ennis urban area as per development squads: Banner, Clarecastle and Doora Barefield as well. How do numbers stack up when their players are included?
    From my experience the most worrying large urban area is Shannon/ Tones. When you consider what they used to produce and what their now producing it’s very difficult to understand.
    I can remember a year when they won every title from 14s to minors with exception of 1 I believe across both codes. Is it structural, population shift or competition from other codes?[/QUOTE]

I don't think Barefield and Clarecastle are included in the Ennis population numbers, anyway, Barefield and Clarecastle had 1 hurler each, Barefield have 4 footballers, The Banner none. Wolfe Tones had 2 footballers and 0 hurlers. Wolfe Tones had 1 brilliant ground of players who won the Feile that kept them going for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Toetohand

I can remember a year when they won every title from 14s to minors with exception of 1 I believe across both codes. Is it structural, population shift or competition from other codes?

I don't think Barefield and Clarecastle are included in the Ennis population numbers, anyway, Barefield and Clarecastle had 1 hurler each, Barefield have 4 footballers, The Banner none. Wolfe Tones had 2 footballers and 0 hurlers. Wolfe Tones had 1 brilliant ground of players who won the Feile that kept them going for a long time.[/quote]

Are they not in Ennis electoral area which gives the population? That would also include Inch Fountain Toonagb etc so you’d be throwing in Kilmaley and inagh/Mona Ruan as well to get a proper reflection of players per population?
    Ennis is more than Eire Og in reality is my point Clareman. I think your doing a disservice to Eire Og and the work their trying to do by equating the players they are producing and linking it to entire population of Ennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The Minor Semi Final has been fixed for the Gaelic Grounds.
    https://munster.gaa.ie/fixtures/minor/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

finbarrk wrote: »
    The Minor Semi Final has been fixed for the Gaelic Grounds.
    https://munster.gaa.ie/fixtures/minor/

Game is PPV €5
    https://page.inplayer.com/streamsportireland/item.html?id=148008

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Cratloe's Jack Chaplin has been elected as the new Chairperson of Clare GAA;

https://www.clareecho.ie/cratloes-chaplin-elected-clare-gaa-chairman/

A massive moment potentially for the future of Clare GAA. Cratloe's Jack Chaplin will take over as the new Clare county board chairman, defeating the previous vice chairman PJ McGuane by 116 votes to 67.

Kieran Keating is the new Clare county board vice chairman after defeating Neil O'Brien, Michael Maher and Niall Romer.

The fact that Chaplin won so comprehensively against the establishment's choice McGuane must be seen as a victory for those seeking change in the way Clare GAA does its business. With Chaplin a new guy in the executive for the first time, this is a very positive all round for Clare GAA, and dare I say it, an embarrassment for the likes of Pat Fitz and co.

So a good day and best wishes to Chaplin and Keating and hope that they can push forward all the reforms and structures in place, to ensure that Clare GAA is secure financially and performs to its highest potential both on and off the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭supernova5

I watched the end of the Kerry V Cork minor football semi-final [went to extra time]

Kerry players definitely celebrated at the end as though it was the Munster final

Considering they've won 5 of the past 6 All Ireland's I don't know how that means they celebrated :D

KIB4Life wrote: »
    Jesus I don’t think you know much about football, it would take us years to get near Cork we have beaten Cork the last 3 times we have met them in the league this included an 8 point win in 2017 and in 2019 we beat them by 9 points, so it could be argued that we are ahead of Cork particularly regarding Senior football, maybe Kerry a bit ahead of us, but if this year is anything to go by then they aren’t as good as they are made out to be. We have been reasonably competitive against them in Cusack Park only lost by 4 points in 2014, and lost by 6 in 2017 and 2019, so we shouldn’t fear them as much as Kerry aren’t the team of old.

Dublin you are right is a whole level above and they are going to be hard bet for the next few years, but to be honest I could see Limerick dominating in the hurling, Galway are the only team to be able to challenge them. Anyways Clare have the same chance of winning anything in the next few years in both codes and that is very slim, to be honest league is our best chance of winning something in both football and hurling.

Also about underage talent picking hurling, I’m not so sure like how many of the minor and Under 20 players this year are dual players, I know the likes of Shane Meehan and Cillian McGroary, but there is a lot of players in both them football teams that are football and football is their number one sport so I don’t think that is really an argument anymore.

I know there is good few dual players that play both codes in both county senior set ups but apart from Conor Cleary and Aidan McCarthy I don’t think the other lads that are in the hurling panel that are dual players are better footballers then what is in the football panel. Probably maybe the likes of Gary Brennan out of the lads that play football, would have been one of the only guys that would have made an impact in the hurling panel.

I don't think Limerick will dominate. Yes they dominated this year's championship but it seemed to be a case that no other team was truly prepared due to lockdown. In the previous 2 years their system showed it could very much be exposed and they had weaknesses, not many, their always a hard team to beat but not impossible. Cork did it last year and so did tipp in the round robin. Clare did it in 18.
    I actually have faith in Clare to be honest, I hate all of the nay-saying that shows up on this board sometimes.

At the start of this year I think there was Limerick & Tipp followed by Galway & Kilkenny followed by the rest, I think Limerick have stayed out in front, Tipp have slipped back towards Galway & Kilkenny, Waterford have moved up and the rest are a little bit behind (not majorly) but this is a results based system now and if any of the winners & losers from any of the games were to be reversed then there'd be a completely different result. From a Clare point of view we were well beaten by both All Ireland finalists with a team missing a lot of key players, no shame in that, but if we would have beaten Galway/Kilkenny/Tipp/Cork I don't know. The biggest worry for me is that Clare seem to be falling behind when it comes to strength and conditioning, if we can improve this I think we've the potential to be contenders.

At the start of this year I think there was Limerick & Tipp followed by Galway & Kilkenny followed by the rest, I think Limerick have stayed out in front, Tipp have slipped back towards Galway & Kilkenny, Waterford have moved up and the rest are a little bit behind (not majorly) but this is a results based system now and if any of the winners & losers from any of the games were to be reversed then there'd be a completely different result. From a Clare point of view we were well beaten by both All Ireland finalists with a team missing a lot of key players, no shame in that, but if we would have beaten Galway/Kilkenny/Tipp/Cork I don't know. The biggest worry for me is that Clare seem to be falling behind when it comes to strength and conditioning, if we can improve this I think we've the potential to be contenders.

I think Brian might focus on that, but he seems to be doing his best with what seems to be improper resources towards conditioning. It's a big part of him as a man, he always see something or someones faults and can fix them, many of his squad comment on that about him.
    I definitely agree though, if we wanna beat a tipp or limerick we have the skillful enough players but we need to push and shove a little, you can't dance around either of those two or a Kilkenny or Galway.

Once we have the basis of a high level S&C we can start looking at the other issues, having players return will help with some of our issues from 5 to 12, or at least 6, 8, 9 and 11

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Jasper1965

Minor footballers doing well 2-7 to 0-4 at half time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Jasper1965

Now 4-11 to 0-4 v Limerick in Munster minor football semi-final

Advertisement