Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

fair point but you have to realize that only a few years ago clare camogie was struggling to get out of intermeadite division now we have our second team at that level

there are people like Brid McNamara , Eugene Foudy , AnnMarie McGann and John Carmody that have done huge work to bring the code to top priority within the county , i remember playing an under age challenge match against eire og in the late 90s /early 00s in the flannans grounds , our game was on the best pitch accross the way in the lesser pitch using under 12 goals was a senior championship camogie game between wolfe tones and eire og

now they have their own facilities its donw mainly to those 4 people that i mentioned ,along with our first u16A all ireland last week they deserve all the praise they can get

Highlights of he 3 games shown on the clare gaa chanell , kilmurry scraped past a plucky St Breackens , both sides will probably be in the mix later on in the year , but its Eire og the team to catch with a fine win over Clondegad , Doora/barefield had a huge win in shannon over last years semi finalists Corofin

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Treble double

If Neylon doesn't want it, I'm not sure what the options are within the county. I'm wary of bringing anyone up from Kerry after Paidi and Micko who were disasters. Donaghy has a big profile from his playing days and will bring a alot of media attention which is not a good thing as has been seen with a certain manager in the other code. He is totally unproven as well and would use Clare as a stepping stone to bigger things. The good of Clare football is never the main concern of anyone coming up from Kerry.

in fairness to both paudi and micko they were giving nothing to work with , paudi i felt sorry for he was in a bad place at the time his heart wasnt in it , i remember coming back from the listowel races and going to a pub in tarbert in 2007 , the lady behind the bar told us he was a regular in their pub for about an hour before he crossed the ferry for training sessions in clare

he was drinking heavy and had been rejected from the kerry job ,despite a fantastic job done in the midlands , county board saw this and he got nothing off them , micko was unlucky not to get us up to division 3 we lost to limerick in the last game and they went up instead , he was too placid a man to take on people like pat fitz or malty mcdonagh

collins sorted them out , the man in the hot seat in clareabbey now is a kilbaha exile and is as fair as they come , i think the best 40 players in the county pick themselves and all we really need is a good football man to guide them

Collins achieved what he did because it wasn't about Collins it was about the players and finding players that would totally commit to the regime that is required to compete at inter county level. We should learn from that and try and get a man from within the county that has football in his blood and let him as Collins did bring in the hot shot coaches to get the most out of the players. I would have no problem with Donaghy coming in as a coach. I think we should steer well away from going down the route of celebrity managers. There are certain counties that constantly go for the celebrity managers, they never win silverware but seem happy with the media attention that these manager bring.

• Advertisement

ts compleatly wrong , the first thing collins did was look for funding , the second thing he done was look for international funding , he then brought in some of the best coachs in the country

davey fitz even mentions it in his book that he fought and lost out against collins , the way fitz saw it was clare football at the end of 2013 were in division 4 and the clare hurlers were all ireland champions , collins won out , the following year after losing to wexford in a replay davey went on another rant about clare football in the all ireland 1/4 final on rte, deeming collins and the clare footballers to be in the way , the cratloe hurlers were furious on the clare hurling panel and the two collins's and cathal mcinerney along with eire ogs davie o halloran defected the hurling panel as did paul kinnerk

what collins did was put clare football back on its rightly holding pedestal of top 16 in the country , the players are there the board is there it just need a manager now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Gael85

Agree Donaghy would be better as a coach than manager.

Also lads there is no great option in terms of management from Clare making themselves available for the job

Horse moloney wants money so he's not going to go for it , Michael neylon is out of the running

And with Collins gone that leaves Paul madden who I am led to believe has no interest either

That's the last 10 years of wining county championship managers, so the board have no other option to go outside the county

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Clare GAA twitter dropping highlights

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Shane O Donnell is going to America next year. Retiring as far as I know. There goes the All Ireland.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

What kind of cruciate injury does Ryan Taylor have?

not sure but he's done for the year , club he's with have done serious work underage and its starting to come through now , if they had him this year they would be my pick for the championship given that the first 3 favorites in the outright betting all look in trouble

i reckon the best we can hope for is that he gets a light run in the league and back for the bear pit championships in April

i have heard slightly different , that hes planning on doing something similar to when he was at boston collage pre covid , given that we have footballers flying in on friday nights to play intermediate and senior club football games and flying back out to new york and boston sunday night , i am sure we can arrange something with shane ,

Scariff 4-18 0-23 inagh/kilnamona

massive result in the park tonight by a really young and seriously impressive scariff side ,

with aidan mccarthy out for the combo it offered the young east clare side a chance, but nobody expected them to put in a performance like this , patrick ryane with 3-3 , patrick crotty with 0-5 from play mark rodgers with 1-03 in a normally brusing and tight club chaampionship scariff forwards made it look easy ,

conor downes keelan hartigan, diermuid nash and daniel tracy all excellent for scariff who look cratloe esc in their profile of ten or twelve years ago , one more win and they are guarantied a last 8 spot which will eliminte one or both of ballyea or inagh/k the two championship favorites' with donal moloney lurking the sidelines its very much possible

for inagh/k , sean rynne and conor heagerty were excellent as were niall mullins and evan mcnamara but they badly miss aidan mccarthy

Scorers for Scariff: Patrick Ryan (3-3); Mark Rodgers 1-7 (1-0 Pen, 2f, 2’65); Patrick Crotty 0-5, Keelan Hartigan 0-2, Conor Downes 0-1

Scorers for Inagh-Kilnamona: Conner Hegarty 0-6 (3f, 2’65); Sean Rynne 0-6, Evan McNamara 0-2, Keith White 0-2, Jason McCarthy 0-1, Jason Griffin 0-1, David Fitzgerald 0-1, Shane Vaughan 0-1, Eoghan Foudy 0-1, Shane Woods 0-1, Niall Mullins 0-1

Moving day in the clare hurling championship , and with 2 teams getting relegated , wolfe tones and clarecastle have moved themselves in to the play offs to stay up after both having more disappointment again today, wolfe tones performance against cratloe looked abysmal

peter duggen got sent off in a controversol clash against the blues , Newmarket through to the 1/4 finals as a result of todays win , its between cratloe and clooney the next day out to see who joins them from this group

crusheen bounced back from a round 1 loss to sixmilebridge with an emphatic win over clare cup champions o'callaghans mills , fingers o'connells men are in huge trouble now and need a large win and results to go their way in round 3 to avoid the play playoffs , clonlara put in a performance tonight that the county had been waiting for for years with a comfortable win over sixmilebridge ,john conlon back at 11 and had a huge game , bridge must win next day out against the mills to have any chance of progressing

ballyea keep their chances alive of a now unlikely looking 3 in a row , a facile win over Barefield today keeps them in the hunt , but with only one game remaining they must beat scariff next day out and hope its good enough to qualify , kelly outstanding again today but dose look injured his ankle looks to be playing up again , st josephs are the 3rd team to find themselves in a relegation play off , with one game to go its now impossible for them to finish above the bottom

nonsense , you could easily make the same assumption about mick bohan

what i am hearing is keeting is trying to put together a team of donaghy (manager ) ger quinlan (coach) ordhan odwyer (selector)

to me that is a top quality line up , everyone accuses quinlan as the black death of gaelic football by the way ennistymon play but thats not down to ger , beno rouine calls the shots in ennistymon any change beit position or tactical in ennistymon gers hands are tied

i highly rate him hes top class and restricted by beno and mark shanahan in ennistymon , he would probably be the vocal presence on the line while the man from mullagh and the kerry lad will be more astute behind it

if donaghy got the job you could expect to see us play a lot more like we did in the monaghan game this year going forward then most of the colilins era

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Clarecastle aren't relegated yet, beat Eire Og in the last round and they stay up

I forgot about tonights game, just looked at the group and their scoring average

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭caddy16

Same for Joseph's, beat Inagh in the last game and they're safe.

its highly unlikely that either clarecastle will beat eire og by the required amount , or crusheen beat clonlara

same for the mills against the bridge , or barefield against the combo , in my opinion its a cooked goose as regards the relegation ,

god help anyone if they get drawn sixmilebridge after the mills beat them by 10 point in two weeks time

• Advertisement

if we aspire to be a cork or a kilkenny we need to be hitting the frame regularly , this year we made 7 munster finals won 2 all irelands lost one and one semi final , the effort today against kildare was top class , horse moloneys daughter and the harveys top class , i feel so sorry for them they put in such an efffort all year

clare gaa on the rise despite all the reascent disappointments , we are going in the right direction , keep going we will get there regardless up the banner

Pity they didn't snatch a draw, Kildare got through the centre of the Clare defence too easily in the first half. They tightened up big time in the second half. I thought Cliodhna Blake was outstanding for the Banner. Wearing 14 she covered every blade of grass on the field a real athletic player. When Clare were in trouble in the first half, she took the game by the scruff of the neck and made a couple of huge runs through the heart of the Kildare defence winning frees. She was even better in the second half, after another run down the throat of Kildare she slashed the ball over the bar and kicked a second long range point when the comeback was starting to boil. Dad Pat rip was a proud man looking down from above. Marrinan is some free taker, she put everything into that last kick that was way outside her range.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭gaa goes

Some suggestions that Anthony Daly could be part of Brian Lohan's management team for next year as Brian tries to shake his backroom team as we look ahead to 2024.

I must say I am enjoying the content coming from Clare GAA on Twitter, the pre game images, tables, post game interviews and highlights are all great looking... Now if they could simply sort out the live coverage I'd be happy, or go back to whatever/ whoever they have changed since last year.

Post edited by Sterling Archer on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

If Broadford beat Feakle then a Clarecastle victory keeps them up and Eire Og are in relegation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Those highlights are bizarrely sloppy at times. Timestamps chopping and changing back and forwards.

They would be better classed a "Highlights" they are taken directly from live stream, It's just someone cutting those parts out of the stream and putting them together, hence why you can see the back soon typically on the first half ones, so I'd say it's down to the person running the replays during the game... But I have noticed that with the time and where the final score is shown over the first few highlights of the second half along with the commentators talking about the game and the final score... just seems whoever is doing the scores and replays isn't upto the standard of last year yet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I think it's Alam Foudy doing them.

Honestly, even the fact it's Vimeo is useless enough. Has to be YouTube this day-and-age; no excuses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Strangely the Clooney Quin vs Newmarket highlights don't show (or even mention) the Peter Duggan red card.

Advertisement