Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

He stopped a couple of years ago to concentrate on hurling, he's won two more county championships since so can't blame him

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Treble double

A talented youngster will be good at any sport he turns his hand to, geography or popularity of a certain code will determine what he excells at. Parents ferrying kids here there and everywhere these days gives kids more options. Hurling in the county is benefiting big time from this many would contend that they would have won a munster title this year if the full back from Miltown Malbay was fit. Of course football isn't as glamorous because the chances of silverware are tiny compared to the hurling so the footballers won't be benefiting from talent from Sixmilebridge , Tulla, Scarriff etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Team named for tomorrow.

Morey down to start.

Conor Cleary not in the match day squad, Nolan named among the subs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Some of the best structures in the country are in West Clare, the work that is put in is a credit to all involved, at some stage though it's down to the players, look at the Cleary brothers, 1 is 1 of the best hurling backs in the country the other is 1 of the best football forwards in the country. You can complain about it being easier "sending lads off to kilmaley or ballyea", but Kilmaley and Ballyea are sending lads off to football, ok Ballyea mostly play with Clondgad but Kilmaley had lads playing for Eire Og, Lissycasey, Ennistymon and Shannon Gaels last year.

There is nothing stopping single code clubs setting up, looking at Eire Og's attempt at a double last year and their terrible league performances it's probably the way to go, but I think it's working very well for us at the moment.

18 point win take that all day but plenty to work on for the kilkenny game in two weeks time ,

the first 30 minutes we were quiet poor and slow to get into the game , had a nice 5 point lead built up before going a point or two behind , while the injury to john conlon is a worry his injury delay lead to 5 minutes of stoppage time , in which we had just hit our purple patch, between the 30 and 40th minute of the first half we tagged on nearly the same tally as we had scored in the previous 30 in 2-04

that ten point swing was the winning and losing of the game , with donal burke gone off injured dublins scoreing threat was limited , cian o'sullivan kept the frees ticking over , danny sutcliffe alex considine and paul crummy looked the most dangerous ,crummy did most of his dammage in the first half though

cian nolan came on and made a impact , i would expect it to be between himself and morey to partner rory hayes and adam hogan in the semi final, its expected big john will be back at 6 , but question marks still hang over aidan mccarthy and shane o donnell , both carried knocks leading into todays game o donnells ankle is a worry though

mark rodgers on frees is a good call if you ask me , it takes the heat off tony kelly and aidan mccarthy , in truth rodgers is probably the more natural free taker ,

himself and kelly were unmarkable at times today and the form of david fitz and ryan taylor leading in to the semi final is huge too, cathal malone os now probably our most important player , another exemplary performance in the middle 3rd by the lahinch man will be key to turning over the cats in 2 weeks time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Is cleary ruled out of the semi final as well??

Hard to get any info on injuries. Not even sure what was the issue with David Mac, he was among the subs

Kilkenny are outstanding in the air, wouldn’t fancy facing them without Conlon, McInerney or Cleary in the backs.

conlon shoud be okay i imagine to start , but shane odonnell had an ankle injury leading into the dublin and aggravated it again he probably will have to do a fitness test the morning of the game to be sure to start

mccarthy the same precautionary he didnt start, after his long term injury last year the knock on effect has lead to soft tissue injurys in his quad and takes time to heal afterwards i think lohan didnt wat to risk him

david mc will be back i would think , he was busy up and down the sidline warming up at different times yesterday so hopefully the same

if cleary hasnt made the match day squad by now its highly unlikley he will feature in croke park , but the cover in my opinion is fine , rory hayes at 3 with hogan and one of paul flanagan/cian nolan/seanda morey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

Cleary will 100% playing if his shoulder is ok. If you think Lohan was going to chance him against Dublin, you would be mad.

The bigger problem is Conlon.

At least they took off O'Donnell before it got too far.

• Advertisement

TJ Reid, Walter Walsh will take some minding. Any of the 3 above missing leaves us exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭caddy16

Absolutely. Clearly in the full back line in particular will be a massive loss. A fullback line of Hayes, Morey & Hogan would be under serious pressure in the air against Kilkenny. Have a feeling Cleary will be ok.

i genuinely dont think he will make it , too many people are being romantic about the time seanie mcmahon played with an dislocated shoulder in 95 , i dont think he has a chance of starting in two weeks time if he dose i will be shocked . rory hayse has been excellent since he has been called in be it corner or full , dont know why lohan didnt put him on gillane in the munster final

Not to mention Eoin Cody.

The KK lads like TJ can play anywhere, if they sense any weakness they'll go to town on it.

D.Lohan looked impressive yesterday, we may see him starting again but he's of course still quite raw for an All-Ireland semifinal

do you think so re lohan , i taught he struggled at times especially when he was picking up Considine , then again adam hogan was brilliant all year and paul crummy made him work hard yesterday

He did some good things but was too easily turned twice at least. The signs are good with him but Clearn is no 3 full stop. Hogan was also turned a few times and being good without the ball defending the man is something he is improving at.. He's brave to make the run first to the ball. defending a man with the ball is a whole other level of back play. I reackon Connellay from Clooney is the next best fullback in the county ready to step up.

i think hes john conlons replacement if last year is anything to go by , he was excelllent for clooney at half back , he only stood in for adam hogan before the cork game in munster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

New York U17 Footballers will play a Clare minor Selection In Quilty Tonight at 7pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Gael85

Is Darragh Lohan a nephew of Brian?

• Advertisement

Anyone else hearing conlon gone for minimum three weeks? Third concussion this year apparently☹️☹️

It won't be for 3rd concussion this year, last Saturday is the first game this year Conlon was substituted

He's started every other game since the Westmeath game in the league

If he had previously been concussed this wouldn't be possible

What is possible is he could be stood down on medical grounds , but heard nothing about the situation yet

Heard he suffered a concussion in training at some time during the year. But I'm only repeating rumours that are doing the rounds at the moment. Hopefully it's all rubbish and that he will be able to line out Sunday week( along with cleary, Davy Mac, Shane etc).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

There's going to be rumours until 3.30 Sunday week, you'll be driven mad listening to them all so I'd suggest ignoring them for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

Will the upper decks go on sale next week?

id say so , they did in the cusack last year , ticketmaster sell the corner flag tickets first then move more central when the club and unsold season tickets come back

looking at the season ticket exchange there are only a handfull of unsold season tickets in 305 or 306 in the cusack so i would expect the upper cusack to open next tuesday , keep an eye on the galway v limerick seats on ticketmaster that will be a carbon copy of our game but a day ahead

lohan has done some job i keeping it tight , i have almost direct contacts to the panel and i hear nothing anymore , one time all you had to do was hit gleasons in sixmilebridge on a monday night and after the odd game of 45 you had the team news , the itinerary of the team, what the sherwood boys had on for the players dinner afterwards , everything bar where to buy a st bernard purple jumper like his fathers , ironically they apparently stopped making them after the apartheid strike in the early 80s

They certainly keep it tight.

It doesn’t give us much to talk about though !

• Advertisement

theres is plenty of talk ....shite talk , for example i had an argument at work on my lunch break the other day with a mate of mine that jumped on the bandwagon just before the limerick game

he told me that aidan mccarthy had a quad injury ....... as in he fell off a quad bike , i tried to explain the nature of the soft tissue injury mccathy is carrying but he was having none of it , apparently the bike rolled over him and he was lucky he didnt kill himself 🙄

Post edited by windy shepard henderson on

Advertisement