Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Childhood movies ruined by rewatch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I rewatched Top Gun with my son and it was fun. We do rip the p1ss out of some of the 80's and 90's action movies when watching but they are still good overall. Some TV shows I would find difficult to rewatch now because of ropey 70's or 80's production values.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

....... wrote: »
    Was it Labyrinth or the Never Ending Story or Legend that had the scene with the horse sinking into the swamp and the horse looked bloody terrified?
    Never Ending Story. I've sat my kids through a lot of 80's fun but I won't let them watch that movie because that scene cannot be unseen, so to speak.

Yes, I know in real life magic horses sink into swamps and die every day so they need to man-up and so on... but no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Dades wrote: »
    Never Ending Story. I've sat my kids through a lot of 80's fun but I won't let them watch that movie because that scene cannot be unseen, so to speak.

Yes, I know in real life magic horses sink into swamps and die every day so they need to man-up and so on... but no.

Best not watch Animal Farm either so :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Cheers - Ive actually been avoiding a rewatch of all 3 of them because I wasnt sure which one it was in.

No - that scene cannot be unseen.

I can never watch any of the Clint Eastwood movies with Clyde either because he was being beaten into submission for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I must have watched Space Camp a dozen times when I was young - a recent re-watch with my kids confirmed it's not great.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091993/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

I also remember thinking that the sex scene in Terminator was really graphic but when you re-watch it it's just shadows and hands clasping over a soundtrack.

• Advertisement

The Labyrinth with David Bowie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Same here, in fact it's why I won't re-watch it myself either! My daughter loves horses, and she gets upset every time she sees a photo with one of our old dogs in it, I genuinely think she'll be mentally scarred for life.

Mrs Doubtfire.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Short circuit is unwatchable now.

redmgar wrote: »
    Short circuit is unwatchable now.

It's also hilarious when you realise Ben Jabituya, the Indian guy, was played by Fisher Stevens in full on brown face Apu mode. His career would be ended if that was done today.

• Advertisement

was down in the inlaws holiday home,there is no TV reception/internet but there is a stack of vhs tapes.
    Put on Drop dead fred......

big mistake

Lasted 2 mins if even,
    It was hilarious to 8 year old me.

was down in the inlaws holiday home,there is no TV reception/internet but there is a stack of vhs tapes.
    Put on Drop dead fred......

big mistake

Lasted 2 mins if even,
    It was hilarious to 8 year old me.
    Same here, I remember thinking it was tear inducing funny back as young fella, watched it a couple of years ago and now it just seems nasty and unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Howard the Duck

Wore the tape out I watched it that much.
    One of my aunties managed to get their hands on another copy for me as a present.
    I remember watching it and thinking how the jebus did I watch this when I was younger

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Hurrache wrote: »
    It's also hilarious when you realise Ben Jabituya, the Indian guy, was played by Fisher Stevens in full on brown face Apu mode. His career would be ended if that was done today.

on a similar note you can probably add the Blake Edwards / Peter Sellers comedy "The Party" to the list. It's a funny film but Sellers in brownface doing a comedy Indian accent is a big hurdle to get over:

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

The Breakfast Club, those gobby teenagers need a bloody good slap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hurrache wrote: »

Ah the brown-face was called out on even during that time, the difference likely being people didn't hear or pay attention to it to the same degree; social media and the demographics shifting to give these ethnicities more prominence probably helps too.

Fisher Stevens killed his own career, Hackers didn't exactly help his cause either ;)

Speaking of, does Hackers count? Not quite sure it ever started with any great amount of respect or admiration, and has only become more hilarious / hilariously awful since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Home Alone. I thought the first two were hilarious when I watched them at the time. It's probably not helped by my watching then with adult eyes and thinking about how kids could pull the odd trick from it and do a lot of damage. Mixing toilet bowl chemicals or throwing bricks at people bring two that spring to mind. I've turned into my parents :(

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ah the brown-face was called out on even during that time, the difference likely being people didn't hear or pay attention to it to the same degree; social media and the demographics shifting to give these ethnicities more prominence probably helps too.

Fisher Stevens killed his own career, Hackers didn't exactly help his cause either ;)

Speaking of, does Hackers count? Not quite sure it ever started with any great amount of respect or admiration, and has only become more hilarious / hilariously awful since then.

As a kid in the 80s with just the Herald or Irish Press for yer news I suppose it wouldn't have been seen as anything out of the ordinary given what we had on variety shows on prime time Saturday evenings, certainly wouldn't haven been aware of any backlash for reasons as you suggest. To this day I thought it was a retrospective thing.

He seems to be doing OK lately though, popped up in a few things I've watched.

The Goonies.

Has aged noticeably on recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Archeron

Run Lola Run. Loved it when it came out and thought it was a brilliant idea but watching it again a few months ago, the animated parts are really really horrible to look at.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Home Alone. I thought the first two were hilarious when I watched them at the time. It's probably not helped by my watching then with adult eyes and thinking about how kids could pull the odd trick from it and do a lot of damage. Mixing toilet bowl chemicals or throwing bricks at people bring two that spring to mind. I've turned into my parents :(

:pac:

When you watch it as kid like when he makes that escape pulley thing from the window to the treehouse, you're thinking 'how how can I make one of those?' but as an adult you're thinking 'wtf is he doing, he's going to break his ****in neck on that!' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭pavb2

iwilldare wrote: »
    The Omen. Terrifying as a child, absolute dung nowadays.
    The music added significantly to the fear factor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

JeanL wrote: »

When you watch it as kid like when he makes that escape pulley thing from the window to the treehouse, you're thinking 'how how can I make one of those?' but as an adult you're thinking 'wtf is he doing, he's going to break his ****in neck on that!' :)

And I think Kevin is a cocky little brat now.

Speaking of cocky brats, another film I didn't enjoy so much on re-watch was Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Ferris is highly slappable and not cool at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Omen is my favourite horror film

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭pavb2

branie2 wrote: »
    The Omen is my favourite horror film

Presumably the first one. The expression on that kid's face at the end still gives me the creeps.

At first I was quite shocked by the gore in stuff like The Walking Dead but you become desensitised to it but the psychological effect of films like The Omen The Shining and The Exorcist are far more shocking and enduring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

The Goonies.

Has aged noticeably on recent times.

Watched the Goonies with my kids and they thought it was amazing. Surprised it hasn't been remade (which I hate) with updated effects etc.

Not having that :)
    Still hilarious, my four year old nearly required hospitalization from laughing so hard.

Night at the Museum with Ben Stiller movie series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Mrs Doubtfire.

That was one of my favorite films as a kid and still is now. Gets me every time I watch it.

I used to love pretty much all Adam Sandler films when I was young. If I see his face in a trailer now it’s guaranteed that I won’t be seeing it.

Time and a place I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,221 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

JeanL wrote: »

And I think Kevin is a cocky little brat now.

Speaking of cocky brats, another film I didn't enjoy so much on re-watch was Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Ferris is highly slappable and not cool at all.

Came here to say Ferris Bueller, he's a sociopathic @rsehole

Advertisement