Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Childhood movies ruined by rewatch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,902 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Always disliked Ferris Bueller as a person. He's an absolute kunt.

Great film though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

I used to love Robin Hood Men in Tights when I was little. I thought it was so funny. My partner had never seen it. I really hyped it up, saying he just had to watch it, he would laugh his ar$e off.

Then we watched it together and I ended up apologising for making him watch it. It wasn't as funny as I remembered at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

iwilldare wrote: »
    The Omen. Terrifying as a child, absolute dung nowadays.
    branie2 wrote: »
    The Omen is my favourite horror film

Absolutely fantastic movie and in fact even better watching it as an adult.

Fantastic performances throughout from Peck to even the dog! : )

17.JPG

I started downloading the movie to my laptop some years ago one evening and when I checked my laptop in the morning this is what I found.

666.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

AllForIt wrote: »

I started downloading the movie to my laptop some years ago one evening and when I checked my laptop in the morning this is what I found.

666.jpg

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Kenpo

Loved this as a kid.

Great theme tune but the film is fairly poor.

• Advertisement

Surprised Lassie (the dog) has escaped so far. There was a movie about 10 years ago. Got panned for adult interest.
    But earlier movies, like "Lassie come home" I lapped this up as a kid, but now, well, sad to be watching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Surprised Lassie (the dog) has escaped so far. There was a movie about 10 years ago. Got panned for adult interest.
    But earlier movies, like "Lassie come home" I lapped this up as a kid, but now, well, sad to be watching it.

I loved The Incredible Journey as a child but I doubt I would be able to watch it now.

Too sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

Hurrache wrote: »
    It's also hilarious when you realise Ben Jabituya, the Indian guy, was played by Fisher Stevens in full on brown face Apu mode. His career would be ended if that was done today.

JJJJJEEEESSSUUUUUUSSSSSS!!! Mind = blown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Die Hard.

I mean, I still love it, but these days something is lacking...

EDIT; re watched Ghostbusters there a couple of years ago.

It's not very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Die Hard.

Ah here, Die Hard??!
    Go and have a good look at yourself and have a think about what you've done. You can have your dessert when you apologise.

• Advertisement

check_six wrote: »
    Ah here, Die Hard??!
    Go and have a good look at yourself and have a think about what you've done. You can have your dessert when you apologise.

What can I say? I had a great childhood!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Twins.

Cool Runnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

What can I say? I had a great childhood!

I think he is suggesting that you shouldn't rag on Die Hard as it's a great movie, including for rewatching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Demolition Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,902 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Die Hard 2.

EDIT; re watched Ghostbusters 2 there a couple of years ago.

It's not very good.

You're childhood called and asked me to fix the terrible mistake you've made.

Tony EH wrote: »
    You're childhood called and asked me to fix the terrible mistake you've made.

Nah I like Die Hard 2 as well but the lustre is gone for the original for me, prob because I've watched it a billion times.

Never cared much for GB 2.

With a Vengeance is prob my go to DH film these days, very underrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Zeek12 wrote: »
    ET is a pretty special movie tbh. Especially for kids. It was filmed and told very much from a child's perspective, right down to the torches and keychains in the early scenes.

A lot of Spielberg's stuff from the 70s/80s era still holds up extremely well.

Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Last Crusade, Close Encounters and of course Jaws are also wonderful.

And Duel. Don’t forget Duel!

‘Stand By Me’.

Some iconic scenes but the storyline is very slight and some of the dialogue is very on the nose.

Casper the friendly Ghost.

Clever looking 10 years ago.

Schmalzy soft and gentle now. Barely enough subject matter for a children's movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

‘Stand By Me’.

Some iconic scenes but the storyline is very slight and some of the dialogue is very on the nose.

Balls it’s a beautiful little movie.

• Advertisement

Nicely shot, some funny lines but there’s not much to it at the same time. It came as a surprise for me to realise that when watching it recently. Have you watched it as an adult?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Possibly the greatest transfer to screen of a King story.

Love the film.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭Dog Man Star

Stand By Me is a marvellous film. The storyline is very much secondary to the characters, much like our childhood. We remember the characters, not so much what happened.

With my own children, 3,6 and 8, as well as E.T., they also adored the 1984 Ghostbusters. Scared and laughing at the same time. They loved it. The sequel quite a lot too. The remake a little bit, but they all lost interest as it was so long. I don't know what happened to editing. If you can't tell a story in 90 minutes, you have no business making films.

Seeing them reassuring each other that E.T. maybe wasn't dead was quite something. Hats off to Spielberg, to put that into children 35 years after that film was made is just amazing. They were cheering when he came back alive.

They are in for a treat when they are older: Jaws, Poltergeist, Exorcist, Jurassic Park, Day After Tomorrow, Beetlejuice, Gremlins, etc. etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Having just read Die Hard mentioned on this thread, can we consider the discussion now broken? We've truly entered the shenanigans phase...

pixelburp wrote: »
    Having just read Die Hard mentioned on this thread, can we consider the discussion now broken? We've truly entered the shenanigans phase...

Did you not watch it as a kid

Where you not let up late at weekends or something?

adox wrote: »
    Possibly the greatest transfer to screen of a King story.

Love the film.

Wow, no. I’d put The Shining, Carrie, Dolores Claibourne and Misery all ahead of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Skyknight

I also recently watched Buck Rogers and the 25th Century. It was even better than when I watched it repeatedly as a child. So, so much cleavage that I didn't appreciate aged 8.

Also this scene is better than ever:

I bet the designers had a laugh when Twiki's head passed the sensors :D Also one of the characters in 'Olympiad' (S1 E7),one of the characters was called Durex

Erin Gray was gorgeous....come to think of it most of the female characters in Glen A. Larsons series were . :D

Dragonslayer, Highlander and Firefox
    ....and they are both pretty minor technical (compositing) reasons at that. With Firefox could also be pacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Not sure if controversial or not but I loved cannonball run and smokey and the bandit as a kid. Watched both many many times. Hadn't seen either since a kid and both while they have some iconic scenes /moments are pretty poor fare overall on recent viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Karachi

Salems Lot and V.

Salems lot : Especially the vampire scraping at the window. Haunted for childhood years by it. Made be look under the bed and behind the curtains for donkeys years. Saw it a year ago and it looked daft.

V for victory with the aliens every Sunday night. Mouseys!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Karachi

Darby O Gill. Ruined by re-watch..

Advertisement