Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About them vegans lads

Options

Comments

you're talking about total nutjobs here who 99.99% of normal people won't ever encounter. They have no bearing on normal vegans/vegetarians.

hehehe NUTjob. The puns are flowing today.

To be honest I do not know the statistics. Nor does it seem _that_ nuts to me either. After all if your vegan philosophy is based around not wanting to press animals into labour to produce for us - then the thing with bees makes perfect sense and is not nuts at all.

But what would I know? I hunt and kill my own fish and rabbit - and keep and get slaughtered my own geese and chicken. I am the last person to be asking for deep knowledge on vegan systems of thought!

The only thing I appear to share with them is a horror at some of our modern farming practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

you're talking about total nutjobs here who 99.99% of normal people won't ever encounter. They have no bearing on normal vegans/vegetarians.

Probably right there. Any I have come across would eat almonds alright but then when people (like myself) who are ill-informed see that they assume its all vegans.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Hehehe beef.

No - It seems part of the vegan philosophy for some people is any use of animals without their consent.

Certain vegetable products involve the unnatural use of bees. Forcing them to work or live in a way that is against their normal nature.

So products produced using animals - even ones like grapes and nuts which you might have thought entirely vegan - can seemingly be off the menu for some vegans.

As another user wrote this week on another thread - every day is a school day for me!

I think it's something to do with the bee dying and being absorbed into the plant. Most vegans aren't that strict though. Some are a bit mad, i got bawled out of it once for eating a slice of bread with added vitamin d or e which apparently comes from lanolin, a byproduct of wool manufacture.

The only thing I appear to share with them is a horror at some of our modern farming practices.

Shhhh! Don't use the F word :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Your first post attacked vegans, while mine joked about them. I can quote it for you if you really want me to. You went on to spout passive-aggressive nonsense after that.

Nope. Incorrect and wrong. Just to clarify that btw. My first comment refuted the poster who claimed (incorrectly) that 'meat eaters give out about vegans way more than vice versa' and paraphrased the comment ...

Apologies I did leave out the lol. Lesson learned :rolleyes:

Your first post to me didnt even quote anything and wasn't part of the discussion and just went straight for the jugular. I can quote it if you like. But hey whatever.

The rest of your post meh.

• Advertisement

My 1st and 2nd posts.
    Didn't we do this last week? You need to catch up, NL.
    Not as much as a vegan would struggle eating you. They don't have the jaw strength you see.

A few more vegan facts:

Vegans are all left handed, the lack of left handed cutlery is actually what turned them vegan in the first place.

Vegans are usually named Karl or funnily enough, Kobi.

Vegans will only walk on the cracks in the path on 3 out of the 7 days.

Vegans always greet one another by raising the big toe on their right foot but you cannot see this unless they are an extremist vegan who would usually be barefoot or wearing disgusting hemp sandles.

Your 1st post.
    gozunda wrote: »
    Nope. That's an urban myth tbh. Way more the other way around here. For a bunch that don't eat meat - they are weirdly obsessed with it and spend their time giving out about meat and farming.
    The rest of your post meh.

Meh obviously means 'I have nothing valid to say'. Now, I'm done with you and we were getting the thread back on track so if you could do the same that would be great.

eviltwin wrote: »
    I think it's something to do with the bee dying and being absorbed into the plant. Most vegans aren't that strict though. Some are a bit mad, i got bawled out of it once for eating a slice of bread with added vitamin d or e which apparently comes from lanolin, a byproduct of wool manufacture.

Chewing gum is another one I wouldn't have thought of. Made with scrapings from cow stomach apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Probably right there. Any I have come across would eat almonds alright but then when people (like myself) who are ill-informed see that they assume its all vegans.

Is it a vegan “fetish” you’ve got, D?

I, personally, know a number of vegans and vegetarians. Only one of them would be “promoting” the lifestyle and even she wouldn’t be giving anyone grief for how they eat.The others you’d only find out if you were eating with them or taking about food.

The way some people are going on you’d swear the vegans were in our school’s teaching 4 year olds about **** and if they eat meat a cow will kill their parents.

The tide is turning…

Chewing gum is another one I wouldn't have thought of. Made with scrapings from cow stomach apparently.

It is funny that I go the other way ethically on those things. I find that I am _happy_ that every part of the animal has a use in this way.

Think it would be much worse if we were killing the cow - hacking off the steaks - and then binning the rest.

I was lucky enough to go fishing in Norway once with my dad as part of a trip organised by a fishing club. They use every single part of the fish for _something_. Even the eyes and the tail and the bones.

When I fish in Ireland usually on the way back the lads in the boat are hacking off the head - tail - and pulling out the bones and seeing if they can hit the sea gulls with them for sport.

I am already planning Christmas dinner myself. 4 animal types in the works for it. Three of them bird one of them not. I hope I show them the proper respect and gratitude as part of the process of preparation and eating.

I teach my kids the same - even if they do not finish all their dinner I always insist they finish the meat - or I will for them if they do not. An animal died to make that meal - I am not throwing any part of it in any bin if I do not have to. I try to teach them to have that same respect.

I can not remember which news paper it was now but when the Celtic Tiger started to die off you could _smell_ the privilege it left behind in the quote of one young woman who said things were getting so bad she actually had to use the left over from Sunday roast in sandwiches of a Monday instead of buying something new.

Had to?!? That's one of the best parts of the process!

My 1st and 2nd postsYour 1st ...

Christ you are still looking for the fight! Lol. But seriously what the fuk are you on about - who mentioned your "1st" post?

This is your first post to me and btw I hadn't even replied to you. Looking for a fight straight of ...
    You must have said everything you have to say on it over the various threads, G.

I even laughed that ****e off but yup you continued.

Btw this is the post you referenced above and which I directly paraphrased from the poster who was having a go at meat eaters (sic) and to whom I was replying.
    GLaDOS wrote:
    Generally I hear meat eaters give out about vegans way more than vice versa. Some people are weirdly obsessed with them.
    gozunda wrote:
    Nope. That's an urban myth tbh. Way more the other way around here. For a bunch that don't eat meat - they are weirdly obsessed with it and spend their time giving out about meat and farming.

So your idea that 'vegans' were 'attacked' is bs.

Meh because they rest was just rubbish btw.
    So yeah stop that crack. And let's go back to discussing more about "opinionated vegetable eaters" which I believe is the topic of the thread ;)

• Advertisement

It is funny that I go the other way ethically on those things. I find that I am _happy_ that every part of the animal has a use in this way.

Think it would be much worse if we were killing the cow - hacking off the steaks - and then binning the rest.

I was lucky enough to go fishing in Norway once with my dad as part of a trip organised by a fishing club. They use every single part of the fish for _something_. Even the eyes and the tail and the bones.

When I fish in Ireland usually on the way back the lads in the boat are hacking off the head - tail - and pulling out the bones and seeing if they can hit the sea gulls with them for sport.

I am already planning Christmas dinner myself. 4 animal types in the works for it. Three of them bird one of them not. I hope I show them the proper respect and gratitude as part of the process of preparation and eating.

I teach my kids the same - even if they do not finish all their dinner I always insist they finish the meat - or I will for them if they do not. An animal died to make that meal - I am not throwing any part of it in any bin if I do not have to. I try to teach them to have that same respect.

I can not remember which news paper it was now but when the Celtic Tiger started to die off you could _smell_ the privilege it left behind in the quote of one young woman who said things were getting so bad she actually had to use the left over from Sunday roast in sandwiches of a Monday instead of buying something new.

Had to?!? That's one of the best parts of the process!

Fair play, its definitely the right way to think about it. Your kids will no doubt pass that on too.

The days after xmas spring to mind immediately, turkey curry, turkey sandwiches...bloody delicious.

With regard to "opinionated vegetable eaters"

Heres a good article - some nice recipes as well

Not quite what the OP had in mind I think but hey we're nearly halfway to Christmas and roast vegetables are always a good accompaniment to the traditional Christmas dinner with all the trimmings ...
    We've got a lot of opinionated vegetable eaters over here at my house. Some kiddos love cauliflower, some kiddos loathe it. Artichokes are the worst thing for one kid, and the most exciting thing on the dinner table for another. To keep mealtime waste at a minimum, I roast several veggies options

https://theinspiredhome.com/articles/3-roasted-fall-vegetable-recipes-for-ultimate-seasonal-comfort-food

Enjoy :D

Fair play, its definitely the right way to think about it. Your kids will no doubt pass that on too.

The days after xmas spring to mind immediately, turkey curry, turkey sandwiches...bloody delicious.

Hate the turkey myself. A meat I avoid with a passion. Hence there will be three birds on my table. Turkey for the traditionalists - goose and duck for me! I have the goose already. Name Gus by the children for reasons I can not fathom. They love getting the eggs for me.

Rabbit then for the people who just do not like bird at all.

Where would you stand on slaughter houses in the States using “every” part of the pig. In most places the only part left unused is the “bung”, as in the arsehole.

But some have been known to sell on the “bung” and it’s marketed as “imitation” calamari. Of course, they didn’t always use the “imitation” part.

Apparently, when cooked, it’s almost impossible to tell the difference. As a calamari eater, and having eaten it in the States, I’m pretty concerned I may have eaten pig’s sphincter.

I think we should all be concerned about that.

The tide is turning…

Apparently, when cooked, it’s almost impossible to tell the difference. As a calamari eater, and having eaten it in the States, I’m pretty concerned I may have eaten pig’s sphincter.

I think we should all be concerned about that.

Hahaha jesus, E. Its all I'll think about from now on.

Any stories from your "calamari" days worthy of mention in the etiquette thread?

Hate the turkey myself. A meat I avoid with a passion. Hence there will be three birds on my table. Turkey for the traditionalists - goose and duck for me! I have the goose already. Name Gus by the children for reasons I can not fathom. They love getting the eggs for me.

Rabbit then for the people who just do not like bird at all.

I'd go for goose any day as well. Flavour is better and they are truely free range birds. And love Rabbit!

What do you do with the goose eggs btw?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Authentic BBQ pit masters use all of the pig, including the dinger.

Where would you stand on slaughter houses in the States using “every” part of the pig. In most places the only part left unused is the “bung”, as in the arsehole.

Well it depends what "every part" is being used for of course! I mean when I say I am happy that every part is used - I did not mean to imply that I want every part to be used specifically as food!

What I mean is that I am happy that every last part of an animal serves _some_ function.

_That_ is a good thing. If every last part of an animal killed in service of humanity goes to some useful and beneficial function rather than some parts just having to be disposed of - then that makes me quite happy indeed.

EDIT: But actually there are very few parts of most animals I would not at least eat once. I am open to trying anything even your feux calamari. After all I did enjoy a good broth of Human Placenta a couple of times too :)
    But some have been known to sell on the “bung” and it’s marketed as “imitation” calamari. Of course, they didn’t always use the “imitation” part.

You reminded me of a passage I read in a Terry Pratchett book only last night as it happens.

"Thats right" said Throat, “Hot sausages, two for a dollar, made of genuine pig, why not buy one for the lady?"

“Don't you mean pork, sir?” said Carrot warily, eyeing the glistening tubes.

“Manner of speaking, manner of speaking,” said Throat quickly. “Certainly your actual pig products. Genuine pig.”

Hate the turkey myself. A meat I avoid with a passion.

Good man, T. Any meat that requires jam to make it palatable has no place on the dinning table.
    Hahaha jesus, E. Its all I'll think about from now on.

Any stories from your "calamari" days worthy of mention in the etiquette thread?

I should point out that I have still ordered the “calamari” since finding out about the potentially odious origins of the “product”.

Thankfully, no, I’ve got a good constitution when it comes to the breaded “rings”. So far, anyway.

The tide is turning…

What do you do with the goose eggs btw?

Scramble usually. Or fry. Rarely anything else.

Another boards user just told me that his new company in his new job have an annual Ostrich Egg thing. Sent me pictures of them opening the egg with a drill. And a huge hanging metal circle thing over a bar-b-que being used to scramble them all. Must have been 6 foot in diameter holding solely scrambled eggs.

He is living in an area where they still eat a lot of horse too. Whole butchers working with nothing but horse meat in his town.

I told him if I do not get an invite for next year - he is off my Christmas dinner list this year. I will see if I can get him to come here and post the photos. Or perhaps there is a thread where it would be better posted - this clearly is not likely the place for it.

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Authentic BBQ pit masters use all of the pig, including the dinger.

There is a restaurant in Madrid - which serves the whole pig and have done for centuries afaik.. Quite amazing place tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Should there not be a meat thread started? It's just bizarre how these threads get hijacked every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Shhhh! Don't use the F word :D

😀

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 nomad92

Love meat and don't care where it come from. rarely cook it. have eaten raw chicken breast, raw steak, raw pork for years. also raw offal. will usually cook chicken very lightly now, but anyway I prefer brown meat (dark meat)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

nomad92 wrote: »
    Love meat and don't care where it come from. rarely cook it. have eaten raw chicken breast, raw steak, raw pork for years. also raw offal. will usually cook chicken very lightly now, but anyway I prefer brown meat (dark meat)

Have you had yourself checked for worms?

Should there not be a meat thread started? It's just bizarre how these threads get hijacked every time.

Yurt the thread title is
    About them vegan lads...

Dont see the thread has been hijacked in today's posts at all tbh. Unless you are somehow suggesting that the word "precious" which was earlier thrown at farmers in this thread is better suited to the "opinanated vegetables eaters" of the OPs initial post?

Afaik Boards.ie is a discussion site and not a creche ...

Yurt the thread title is

Dont see the thread has been hijacked in today's posts at all tbh. Unless you are somehow suggesting that the word "precious" which was earlier thrown at farmers in this thread is better suited to the "opinanated vegetables eaters" of the OPs initial post?

Afaik Boards.ie is a discussion site and not a creche ...

Do you ever shut the f*ck up? Head wrecker.

Lovely. Thank you for your continued and valued contributions to the discussion;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

He'll just delete it...if you ignore it

Prob too busy adding entire paragraphs to back posts to delete just yet :pac:

• Advertisement

Anyway, all of these threads on vegans eventually turn into a load of blokes talking about all the different animals they like to eat and how they cook them etc. It's so predictable.

Advertisement