Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valencia Marathon (and 10k) 2019

Options
  • 11-06-2019 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭

Folks, I can't say if it's 100% true but I've heard this is selling out. Not too surprising I guess. Not clear if I have a 3 month marathon training block in me. Hopefully, as I've just registered.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Registered as well dont fret its not on until December

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

What kind of weather could you expect for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

ger664 wrote: »
    Registered as well dont fret its not on until December

How are you getting there?

Was looking at this as want to be in good shape for my next marathon and not convinced I’d have that done by Dublin in Oct, so this could suit time wise.

Was looking at Lufthansa via Frankfurt

Van.Bosch wrote: »

Was looking at this as want to be in good shape for my next marathon and not convinced I’d have that done by Dublin in Oct, so this could suit time wise.

Going for a week so Ryan air flight out and back on the Wednesday from Dublin suits

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

sideswipe wrote: »
    What kind of weather could you expect for this?

It's an 8.30 start so won't be warm then, that's for sure. Can get up to 20 or a bit more by say 13.00 so try to finish as fast as you can!! You'd be unlucky if it got to more than 20 at that time of the year. Hopefully mid to high teens.

• Advertisement

You can also try Barcelona, Madrid or Alicante and then train/bus/car.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Mogrump

Itziger wrote: »
    Folks, I can't say if it's 100% true but I've heard this is selling out. Not too surprising I guess. Not clear if I have a 3 month marathon training block in me. Hopefully, as I've just registered.

Should be in again this year once the body holds up.

Going by the last 2 years, conditions are perfect for 3/4 of it but can get into the low 20’s by 12.

Fast course too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

You can also try Barcelona, Madrid or Alicante and then train/bus/car.

Yeah, I would only fly in on the Saturday so a 6am flight to either and a hire car / train might work. Need to get to expo so flight with Lufthansa lands at 12:00 which would be perfect.

Will take a look - first step is to stop eating rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Yeah, I would only fly in on the Saturday so a 6am flight to either and a hire car / train might work. Need to get to expo so flight with Lufthansa lands at 12:00 which would be perfect.

Will take a look - first step is to stop eating rubbish.

The early morn flights with Aer Lingus or Ryanair would have you in Madrid around 1030am. The bus from terminal to main train station (Atocha) takes around 25-30 mins, I think its 5 euro. High speed train costs around 40 euro and takes under 2 hours.. Flights from Dublin-Madrid that time of year are pretty cheap. I have done this route a couple of times and its pretty smooth. I can recommend a nice cafe near Atocha for brunch and coffee if you need to kill time too ;)

All booked in for another year - at €55 it’s v reasonable

• Advertisement

Mogrump wrote: »
    All booked in for another year - at €55 it’s v reasonable

Down to the last 1,000 entries for anyone interested - just got a notification

Mogrump wrote: »
    Down to the last 1,000 entries for anyone interested - just got a notification

When that happened with the 10k, the last 1,000 seemed to be gone an hour later. Get in there, folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ISOP

Marathon sold out

ISOP wrote: »
    Marathon sold out

Are you going back again this year?

Are you going back again this year?

Yeah, I'll give it a rattle again, flying visit this time, in Saturday morning, out Sunday night. Are you going yourself?

ISOP wrote: »
    Yeah, I'll give it a rattle again, flying visit this time, in Saturday morning, out Sunday night. Are you going yourself?

No, not this year. Thankfully it sold out so I can resist temptation. I hope you have a better experience with the spectators this year! Was Tokyo good?

No, not this year. Thankfully it sold out so I can resist temptation. I hope you have a better experience with the spectators this year! Was Tokyo good?
    Toyko was great thanks, bit of a long haul obviously but a great experience. Only had a few days A/L left so was only there for 5 days. Marathon went great, only a minute off a PB. I was a bit pissed off the way Valencia went for me last year so wanted to settle the score so to speak :D

How are we doing with a bare month to go?

MacPhisto, did you resist the temptation or did you buy an entry on FaceBook??

How are we doing with a bare month to go?

MacPhisto, did you resist the temptation or did you buy an entry on FaceBook??

Temptation resisted :D

How is the body holding up? Looking forward to seeing how you get on

Temptation resisted :D

How is the body holding up? Looking forward to seeing how you get on

Fingers crossed. Body is holding up ok. It can be a bit touch and go, maybe at my age and not stretching or doing core stuff it is to be expected. Left knee gets sore every now and again and another one or two bits but I'm getting through the weeks.

Just 3 weeks of workouts to go, admittedly all 3 of the 10 milers @ M pace! But only one 26 (or 28) kms Long Run.

Most people on the Hansons' thread had positive experiences in Dublin, which is reassuring. Sure we'll see on the day, as ever. Shame you lads won't be there. I'll see if I can rope in one or two to join me for a gargle on Sunday evening. That said, Mrs I is accompanying me this year.

• Advertisement

Fingers crossed. Body is holding up ok. It can be a bit touch and go, maybe at my age and not stretching or doing core stuff it is to be expected. Left knee gets sore every now and again and another one or two bits but I'm getting through the weeks.

Just 3 weeks of workouts to go, admittedly all 3 of the 10 milers @ M pace! But only one 26 (or 28) kms Long Run.

Most people on the Hansons' thread had positive experiences in Dublin, which is reassuring. Sure we'll see on the day, as ever. Shame you lads won't be there. I'll see if I can rope in one or two to join me for a gargle on Sunday evening. That said, Mrs I is accompanying me this year.

I think the plan will stand you well, particularly as you have ran multiple marathons. You have plenty of experience of the 20-26.2 mile section :)

Im sure there will be a few others around to hold your hand in Tyris OnTap, and maybe you will make your train this year ... :pac:

All Goals reached for the year now, so anything under 4 will do me. Just maintaining fitness now until the big day.

Training went tits up during september missed most the month so whatever shape I am in on the day will have to do

Well folks, 2 weeks and 2 days to go! We seem to be a reduced band of brothers/sisters?? this year. The last two years we've met on the Sunday evening about 7 or so for a few drinks in a fairly cool spot called Tyris on Tap where you get some decent beer brewed locally (and they do a daycent enough Burger and other such food as well). It's central and chilled.

Anyone on for it this year?? I'll be accompanied by Mrs Itz this time around so will probably be spouting slightly less $hite than in previous years, but I'll manage a few anyway.

Well folks, 2 weeks and 2 days to go! We seem to be a reduced band of brothers/sisters?? this year. The last two years we've met on the Sunday evening about 7 or so for a few drinks in a fairly cool spot called Tyris on Tap where you get some decent beer brewed locally (and they do a daycent enough Burger and other such food as well). It's central and chilled.

Anyone on for it this year?? I'll be accompanied by Mrs Itz this time around so will probably be spouting slightly less $hite than in previous years, but I'll manage a few anyway.

I’m back in this year, yet another back to back....

Should be on for a beer around 9pm if people are still about

I will be in the same boat as you regarding the $hite talk. Sounds like a plan :):)

http://www.aemet.es/en/eltiempo/prediccion/municipios/valencia-id46250

Now we're definitely close enough to start thinking (worrying) about the weather!!

It's going to be touch and go. Saturday looks like a fairly warm day for Nov 30th. 24 bleedin' degrees but then it's dropping, or at least I hope to God it is. The link I've attached has Sunday with a high of 18. Please let that be correct. Even though the first hour would be ok anyway, it's the last 10 or 14k I'd be worried about. Big difference between say 16 degrees and 20 for that last hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭opus

Best of luck!

Just landed temp is 24 degs but a fresh breeze so it doesn't feel too bad.

Yr has Sunday to be a bit cooo

• Advertisement

ger664 wrote: »
    Just landed temp is 24 degs but a fresh breeze so it doesn't feel too bad.

Yr has Sunday to be a bit cooo

Jeez, you're in early!! Arriving late Friday night.

Yeah, it looks like the temps will be warm till and including Saturday. I think we're going to be ok! Just.

Advertisement