Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel’s Avengers (PS4, Xbox One, Stadia, PC)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    This game was always what we got, you can't just turn a game into something else, this was designed from day one to be a grindy mmo type game.

Completely disagree with this. Plenty of games have either changed direction during development, or else been pulled together last minute after years in development hell. Anthem's end product was basically cobbled together in around 16 months, so to think a decision couldn't have been made to shoehorn Avengers into the live service looter space is incredibly naive. Playing a few hours of Avengers endgame is also evidence enough IMO that they didn't have a plan for how this was going.

I've no doubt that the game always had some sort of co-op brawling element to it, so a lacklustre loot system being slapped on late in the day sounds entirely plausible.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Makes me sad to think we got this instead of another Deus Ex game :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

goon_magee wrote: »
    Completely disagree with this. Plenty of games have either changed direction during development, or else been pulled together last minute after years in development hell. Anthem's end product was basically cobbled together in around 16 months, so to think a decision couldn't have been made to shoehorn Avengers into the live service looter space is incredibly naive. Playing a few hours of Avengers endgame is also evidence enough IMO that they didn't have a plan for how this was going.

I've no doubt that the game always had some sort of co-op brawling element to it, so a lacklustre loot system being slapped on late in the day sounds entirely plausible.

Changing direction is not the same as completely changing a game, that'd be like saying we were gonna get an Avengers game like PS4 Spidey but square said no add Mt's, it's impossible unless you scrap it and start all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

State of the game update

https://avengers.square-enix-games.com/en-us/news/sotg_oct_2020/
    With this in mind, we’ve decided to push Kate Bishop’s Operation launch back a bit, out of October. We’re sorry for this slight delay, but we are dedicated as a team to quality first.
    We’ve also made the decision to shift our PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S launch to next year to ensure that we give our team the time to deliver a next-gen experience showcasing all that this game is meant to be. More details to come

I don't care but for fans this is a **** show. The game is gonna die on it's hole. I bet it comes back as a FTP game.

• Advertisement

I don't care but for fans this is a **** show. The game is gonna die on it's hole. I bet it comes back as a FTP game.
    Yeah they would be better off relaunching the game next year as ftp once they have expanded the roster and added more gameplay variety

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Picked this up recently, enjoyable campaign even tho the missions are a bit samey. Annoying when you defending something and getting by rockets you have no clue are coming.

I dont have much interest in playing the end game content so I can see the gripes with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/jp8w3v/square_enix_reported_yen65bn_loss_for_hd_games/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Still seems to be floundering shows how you have to be so careful with games with strong IP, the brand alone cannot prop it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

The game had a good single player campaign imo. The should have concentrated on that, and not the games as a service nonsense. Only themselves to blame.

So I see in the gaming news that this game tanked and flopped hard, delighted for them, now give us a proper Marvel game.

• Advertisement

So I see in the gaming news that this game tanked and flopped hard, delighted for them, now give us a proper Marvel game.

I feel bad for the dev, you can see they cared about the story, from the various interviews, and that the suits above there heads, wanted games as a services and botched the whole thing. They should have copied Spider-man imo.

wes wrote: »
    I feel bad for the dev, you can see they cared about the story, from the various interviews, and that the suits above there heads, wanted games as a services and botched the whole thing. They should have copied Spider-man imo.

That's what I was hoping for, Spidey just Avengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I think more of it's issues come from it being a lacklustre loot shooter/brawler than it being a games as a service.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,404 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Varik wrote: »
    I think more of it's issues come from it being a lacklustre loot shooter/brawler than it being a games as a service.

Yeah while I enjoyed a lot of the gameplay and thought the skill trees for each hero and their playstyles were pretty good, loot just didn't matter, enemies were repetitive and didn't really require any different tactics and map design was bland. The games as a service thing just compounded the games existing issues.

Kate Bishop arriving in December 8th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

That's what I was hoping for, Spidey just Avengers.

I'd like if this game's Kamala Khan got her own "Spidey" game.

Featuring upgraded visuals and framerate, haptic feedback for each hero, significantly faster load times, improved destruction and Heroic detail, Marvel's Avengers on Next-Gen consoles is a redefined adventure. Available March 18, 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 29,635 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

So next gen patch dropping today. I gave up on this after 1 level of the beta which is a pity as I love the Avengers but seems like the game as a service plan had no legs. I still look forward to trying it one day either on deep sale or on ps plus.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    So next gen patch dropping today. I gave up on this after 1 level of the beta which is a pity as I love the Avengers but seems like the game as a service plan had no legs. I still look forward to trying it one day either on deep sale or on ps plus.

Yeah I tried the Kate Bishop content and gave up as there were no new enemies and the maps looked very generic. Might download the ps5 version to see any difference. They really need to bring in new enemy variants and maps. The new leveling system doesn't help either

I'm going to download the PS5 version today just to get a look but have absolutely no enthusiasm for the game left whatsoever.

Still morbidly curious to see what they announce at the SE presentation later today. At this stage, they need a radical overhaul of the endgame to give the game some legs, but I highly doubt we will hear anything around that. More than likely just going to be a couple of hero announcements, and I wouldn't be surprised if there is some kind of free to play version in the works which they reveal also.

• Advertisement

Honestly they need to ditch the games as a service nonsense. Make it so all the costumes can be earned in game, and just sell us DLC campaigns with new characters instead. Focus on high quality single player game play (with optional co-op) is imo their best bet.

wes wrote: »
    Honestly they need to ditch the games as a service nonsense. Make it so all the costumes can be earned in game, and just sell us DLC campaigns with new characters instead. Focus on high quality single player game play (with optional co-op) is imo their best bet.

Totally agree. They also need to give a better roadmap of what's coming up down the road and each campaign should have completely new enemies

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,071 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wonder is this a contractual thing. The buzz is so against this game it's a wonder they're still persisting with new content at all.

That presentation didn't leave me with much hope. Nice that they seem intent on supporting it, but it doesn't look like they intend on doing anything to shake things up and what they showed looks just as uninspired as their post launch efforts so far.

On another note, anyone got any idea how to get the PS5 version to recognise the PS4 save? Uploaded my save to the cloud a while back, downloaded there on the PS5 a while ago but my progress isn't appearing?

Edit: Never mind, just remembered how it worked with Miles Morales and its the same here, just a matter of launching the PS4 version and migrating the save!

roadmap_v17--2uLnX3Cu.png?width=&height=

• Registered Users Posts: 33,404 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The most troubling part of that road map is "Post Level 50 progression". The fact it's referring to XP levels rather than Power Level of gear seems to suggest that after making the XP levels more grindier, they're now also extending it past Level 50 in some way, which will still have to be replicated for new heroes when they're released.

Penn wrote: »
    The most troubling part of that road map is "Post Level 50 progression". The fact it's referring to XP levels rather than Power Level of gear seems to suggest that after making the XP levels more grindier, they're now also extending it past Level 50 in some way, which will still have to be replicated for new heroes when they're released.

Paul Tassi at Forbes ran an article after the announcement which pretty much confirms it's going to be a paragon level type system, so the actual hero level sounds as though it'll still get capped at 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

The game has 1 good thing going for it, Tahouri's soundtrack is class.

• Advertisement

It doesn't matter how much they add it's still an awful dull grindfest.

Advertisement