Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel’s Avengers (PS4, Xbox One, Stadia, PC)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,361 ✭✭✭✭Penn

So whats the overall feeling from those playing this now? A week on from release.

It's a tough one.

I'm enjoying it for the most part. It can feel button-mashy at the start but once you start levelling up (and enemies scaling up with you), the combat can be challenging enough and requires a bit more thinking, and there are enough differences between most of the playable characters that it does change up your playstyle. The story is okay. Not good, not bad, just okay. Decent performances carry it through.

Missions aren't really varied in any real way, usually just "Get to Point 1, defeat/destroy/protect things, elevator ride, Get to Point 2 etc". Most of the side missions are even shorter versions of that.

Camera and attacks from off-screen are the biggest issue. Manual lock-on isn't worth using because it turns itself off. Countering system can be next to impossible to use against projectiles (and some projectiles can absolutely wreck you). Gear system seems fairly pointless to pay much attention to until you get to near the level cap (which I'm still nowhere near even though I'm mostly playing as one character).

But all that said, I'm still enjoying playing it. It's okay, and like I guessed before release, I think as was the case with both Destiny games it might be a great game in another year or so when there's more content and they fix a lot of the bugs. I wouldn't recommend it at full price as it stands though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

So whats the overall feeling from those playing this now? A week on from release.

It's Warframe with the grind reduced around 70%.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Is it really as good as Warframe? I would get that.

It definitely becomes a lot quicker and easier to level up after completing the main story. Got Thor from power 57 to 101 in a few hours this evening, as well as about 10 levels.

Its just going to be a pain jumping back to a low-level hero to try level them up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Reached lvl 50,power level 131 with captain America so far. Just playing through hive mission quest now.

• Advertisement

so where do I loot a shield cache?

so where do I loot a shield cache?

The mission Stark Realities. You find the cache in it, which also leads to more vault missions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Penn wrote: »
    The mission Stark Realities. You find the cache in it, which also leads to more vault missions.

I think its in another mission too, the one where its a small town in the desert. Basically if you see a kind of GPS tracker show up, there is a shield cache nearby

I think its in another mission too, the one where its a small town in the desert. Basically if you see a kind of GPS tracker show up, there is a shield cache nearby

Found one in In Honors Name mission.

• Advertisement

Interest definitely starting to wane. It's fallen into the same issues I do have with Destiny where it's the same few missions yielding the best rewards, and I'm mostly just picking up the faction bounties and knock most of them out in about an hour.

The fact that they have access to almost the entire Marvel catalogue of characters, and they have two repeating bad guys to fight against. Two. Each superhero tends to have about 10 main enemies, maybe two or three are recognisable or powerful enough to have been a boss in the game. And they just stick with two.

Yeah, beginning to think I might just park it for a while.

Penn wrote: »
    Interest definitely starting to wane. It's fallen into the same issues I do have with Destiny where it's the same few missions yielding the best rewards, and I'm mostly just picking up the faction bounties and knock most of them out in about an hour.

The fact that they have access to almost the entire Marvel catalogue of characters, and they have two repeating bad guys to fight against. Two. Each superhero tends to have about 10 main enemies, maybe two or three are recognisable or powerful enough to have been a boss in the game. And they just stick with two.

Yeah, beginning to think I might just park it for a while.

Yeah they really dropped the ball on this content wise. As you said, only having 2 villains is pretty lazy when they have such a big catalogue. Sure the boss battles are nearly the same the whole time with the only difference being the map. Like there are so many different enemy factions they could have in the game like Hydra, The Wreckers, The Kree. They also need to bring in more map and mission variety. Ideally every new hero should bring in new enemy factions like with Daredevil you could bring in The Hand or Kingpin.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Im pretty sure the villian sectors are going to be brought out with each DLC, i.e: Black Panther DLC brings in Black Panther plus wakanda as location and a boss or 2 for that DLC. Eventually we will have a huge roster but its going to take some time.

Kimbot wrote: »
    Im pretty sure the villian sectors are going to be brought out with each DLC, i.e: Black Panther DLC brings in Black Panther plus wakanda as location and a boss or 2 for that DLC. Eventually we will have a huge roster but its going to take some time.

Yeah in a year's time there should be alot more variety in content

Kimbot wrote: »

Yeah, and it'll be the same as Destiny 1, where returning to it after about 2 years will make it a completely different experience with the range of content available and most of the systems fixed or updated.

I'll check in with each new hero for the first while, but the same variations of the same few AIM corridors filled with the same robot enemies... It was fine when getting my main (Thor up to L50/PL130+), but going to another character and trying to level them up just has no appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

I'm in the same boat as Penn, interest in logging in for me has definitely decreased. The lack of villains is a huge issue. Understandable enough that they are holding back character specific villains for the inclusion of heroes coming later down the line, but that's absolutely no excuse for the paltry amount we got at launch.

There should have been at least one villain lair tied to each hero at launch, Mandarin for Iron Man, Red Skull for Cap etc.

The game also needs multiple quality of life improvements before I would dedicate another significant amount of time to it. The war table needs tidied up, with playlists for hives, vaults, villain lairs, drop zones etc. At the moment the table is too fragmented which I would think isn't helping the matchmaking (which in itself is completely f*cking broken). They also either need to drastically improve loading times or else make it so you can just pick up bounties from a menu rather than have to endure lengthy load times between the Chimera and Ant Hill just to pick up both factions bounties; this problem is just going to get worse as well as more factions and hubs are added.

Not sorry I played the game as I had a blast with the campaign and getting Thor fully levelled and geared up, but there is just too much wrong with the game in its current state for me to even consider fully levelling another character.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,702 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Got a start on this this week and so far I'm enjoying it for the most part. I'm hopping in for an hour and coming back every so often. I've just gotten to the fight on the Chimera. Playing on Hard, here's my thoughts FWIW.

Pros for me:
    Good, engaging story
    Good character relationships
    Gameplay is fun
    Combat is rewarding and generally smooth

Cons:
    Loading times
    Camera lock can be finicky
    No real sense of reward with gear
    Maps are very one dimensional

It's good, overall, and reminds me of Fallen Order in every way which is OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Got a start on this this week and so far I'm enjoying it for the most part. I'm hopping in for an hour and coming back every so often. I've just gotten to the fight on the Chimera. Playing on Hard, here's my thoughts FWIW.

Pros for me:
    Good, engaging story
    Good character relationships
    Gameplay is fun
    Combat is rewarding and generally smooth

Cons:
    Loading times
    Camera lock can be finicky
    No real sense of reward with gear
    Maps are very one dimensional

It's good, overall, and reminds me of Fallen Order in every way which is OK.

Fallen Order as in the latest Star Wars game? HOWWWWW?

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Fallen Order as in the latest Star Wars game? HOWWWWW?

Yes, 'Open World' but it pushes you to your objective. Skill points worming the same way, superficial upgrades and they both use a spaceship as their main base :pac:

Yes, 'Open World' but it pushes you to your objective. Skill points worming the same way, superficial upgrades and they both use a spaceship as their main base :pac:

I don't see anything the same between them.

• Advertisement

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    I don't see anything the same between them.

Cool, well I do?

I've not played for a while so can't speak to the state of the game atm, but reading around it sounds like it's heading the same direction as Anthem if things don't change soon. Low player count, tech issues still persisting, mess of a grind at end game, no clear content path...not a good look at all.

I cut the game some slack at launch due to my initial enjoyment of the story and combat, but like Bioware, it seems as though CD are out of their depth when it comes to creating a rewarding live service experience.

goon_magee wrote: »
    I've not played for a while so can't speak to the state of the game atm, but reading around it sounds like it's heading the same direction as Anthem if things don't change soon. Low player count, tech issues still persisting, mess of a grind at end game, no clear content path...not a good look at all.

I cut the game some slack at launch due to my initial enjoyment of the story and combat, but like Bioware, it seems as though CD are out of their depth when it comes to creating a rewarding live service experience.
    Yeah it's not looking too good for the game . This was clearly pushed to launch too early even though it originally was meant to launch in May. They have also been very quite on the subreddit. I wonder if the Marvel license is holding the game back as in any content they plan for the game has to go through Disney first which could cause delays.

You know it's bad when I'm getting my Marvel fix from Fortnite.

Crystal Dynamics Claims Relief In Sight For Bored Avengers Players

https://kotaku.com/crystal-dynamics-claims-relief-in-sight-for-bored-aveng-1845317433

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Its essentially anthem 2.0 they need to recover it soon before the negative really snowballs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Its no where near as bad a Anthem. The single player was imo pretty good. The games as a service stuff, isn't so great. It really seems like it was a more story focused game originally with optional co-op, that they added the gaas stuff to it later.

wes wrote: »
    Its no where near as bad a Anthem. The single player was imo pretty good. The games as a service stuff, isn't so great. It really seems like it was a more story focused game originally with optional co-op, that they added the gaas stuff to it later.

I agree with this. Definitely get the feeling that CD were going for a more linear experience originally, but were pushed down the gaas path and had to shoehorn in an "endgame".

I enjoyed the story as well, it really surprised me and I think that's why I was pretty high on the game in that first week or two. It just falls apart at endgame though for me.

I don't think it's quite at Anthem's level of failure yet, but they don't have long to course correct. Destiny has a big release coming up, Godfall is a launch title on PS5 which I think will pull a chunk of the player base away come November. Not that I think Godfall looks amazing, but it's a launch title so will probably gather some momentum off the back of that alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I think they should for lack of a better word pivot back to being a story based game.

They should sell stand alone story expansions with new characters, using the engine they have. Even if the end game was engaging, there are only so many of these games people can possibly play. Give people 5-6 hour campaigns and charge like 30 euro for them, and I think they would do well.

• Advertisement

This game was always what we got, you can't just turn a game into something else, this was designed from day one to be a grindy mmo type game.

Advertisement