Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesla model 3 insurance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Del2005 wrote: »
    America has cheap cars and expensive medical care. Tesla is concentrating on sales and not on support, which is why when the major manufacturers get their act together on EVs Tesla will be no more. People won't accept the lack of support the early adapters do.

The cars and fuel is cheap but any service industries I find expensive. Especially in large cities. And if the insurance company pays like in car body repairs and medical bills the resulting costs are inflated to ridiculous levels.

Parts availability in Europe is a big question mark but unlike in US Tesla cannot limit servicing and repairs and parts avaiability to Tesla approved garages only so there will be more competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Del2005 wrote: »
    Tesla is concentrating on sales and not on support, which is why when the major manufacturers get their act together on EVs Tesla will be no more.

I actually think the support from Tesla will surpass traditional manufacturers in a couple of years. Tesla support is very innovative and using guides from the Tech industry. Support can be compared to a Server, if you have an issue you ring a Service Desk, they run diagnostics over the air. If they cannot fix they have options to send out a "Tesla Ranger" or book you into a Service center.

I was in Colorado working and my colleague had a ranger come to the workplace and they fixed a number of issues. I dont think VW or Nissan would that.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

krissovo wrote: »
    I think this package from Axa for the first year at least would be a safe bet and I will certainly be getting it even if the price is higher than my current insurer.

But what happens if I am in the middle of the policy with my current insurer, and it won't insure it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

RSA through Broker (Sertus) are quoting for Teslas, I got a quote from mine for around €650.00 on a Model S p85d

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭Old diesel

unkel wrote: »
    How relevant are crash repairs anyway? In my well over 30 years of driving, I've had to have a bumper repaired once (as I got rear ended)

The relevance is that a crash repair issue might be a reason for an insurer to decline Tesla cover if they think they are going to be stuck with excessive repair bill and long wait times vs the norm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

jarrieta wrote: »
    But what happens if I am in the middle of the policy with my current insurer, and it won't insure it?
    They are required to quote you as an existing policy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭sk8board

Old diesel wrote: »
    The relevance is that a crash repair issue might be a reason for an insurer to decline Tesla cover if they think they are going to be stuck with excessive repair bill and long wait times vs the norm.

Exactly the point I was making.

Insurers aren’t just being a pain - this is all to do with risk profile, and the servicing and repairs of Tesla’s are partly unknown - and what is known is definitely expensive.

We await the first “My Tesla got rear ended. Now what?” thread

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

I was on the AXA site the other day and I got a quote for a Model S P60, seeing as the Model 3 isn't listed yet and was pleasantly surprised. It was only €150 more than the Mondeo I currently have insured with them. There's horror stories in the US about cost and lead times for Model 3 repairs which, if repeated over here, have to drive repair costs through the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

I called Axa today for a quote. No joy, it's still not in the system. The rep said she'd talk to the underwriters and get back to me. I don't hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

Got a mail from Axa to say Model 3 will on their list by the end of the month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

model 3 performance, fully comp with axa, 42 year old male, full clean licence, full NCB, €967 fully comp........second quote my wife ( 42, same ncb with me as named driver with my own car policy) €563 fully comp.......seriously.......€400 quid cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

jordan191 wrote: »
    model 3 performance, fully comp with axa, 42 year old male, full clean licence, full NCB, €967 fully comp........second quote my wife ( 42, same ncb with me as named driver with my own car policy) €563 fully comp.......seriously.......€400 quid cheaper

I thought that carry on was abolished.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Sourcream

FYI for anyone curious,

Just got a quote from AXA for new model 3 performance.
    (They won't insure me until I'm 30, 29 currently but will be 30 by the time it gets delivered!) So I asked them to go on the basis that I was 30 for a hypothetical quote.

Details: Male, 30, licence held 12 years, full no claims, no penalty points

Quote came out at €1163.40

Which is actually cheaper than my current insurance for a 1.4 Renault Clio(€1280).
    Which is an unexpected and very pleasant surprise!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,108 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Sourcream wrote: »
    FYI for anyone curious,

(They won't insure me until I'm 30, 29 currently but will be 30 by the time it gets delivered!) So I asked them to go on the basis that I was 30 for a hypothetical quote.

Which is actually cheaper than my current insurance for a 1.4 Renault Clio(€1280).

The bigger surprise, for most people, is that the profile of people buying Model 3 is not your typical €50k buyer... people driving 1.4 Clio's are buying them too! :)

That means there are alot more potential punters out there for Model 3 than you'd think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Also it's cheaper if you can put on a significant other person or an OH.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Sourcream wrote: »
    FYI for anyone curious,

There's a nice birthday present for yourself coming up :D

Well wear!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nilla9000

I've been living in the US and I'm looking to head back to Ireland to have my kids goto school in Ireland, thinking on buying a model 3 and insurance for it and insurance in general is a concern.

I've been driving EVs for a few years now and whilst the torque is nice. Most EVs at least here, are pretty inexpensive to insure. Any got ideas of insurance cost for non Tesla EVs such as Kona, iPace, Leaf?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Your problem is that you have not built up any No Claims Bonus in Ireland and any previous NCB you might have had, has now lapsed. It might help if you can show your Irish insurer that you have no claims from the US, call a few of them and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Sourcream wrote:
    Which is actually cheaper than my current insurance for a 1.4 Renault Clio(€1280). Which is an unexpected and very pleasant surprise!

You definitely got a bit shafted last year, I was 29 last year driving a 1.3 06 Corsa and paid €1000 (3 years ncb, driving for 5 years) with AXA.

This year managed to get the Kona insured for €600 with FBD who were by far the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nilla9000

I'm assuming I'll be paying a lot, and to an extent thats fine, I'd just rather get insured in a car I want. Rather than the reverse. Will be interested to hear, peoples experiences with the Model 3 in Ireland once they start shipping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

Right, may I ask... for those who have just got or about to get a Tesla M3 as a Company Car, what insurance company did you get insured with & prices?

We tried FBD, and apparently they don't have Tesla M3 on their system?? (I don't understand as I'm sure others got quoted with them?)

Many thanks!

BUMP. Still looking for car insurance...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Looks like my company insurance will be through RSA.
    Dont have many details apart from that until it lands.

eddhorse wrote: »
    Looks like my company insurance will be through RSA.
    Dont have many details apart from that until it lands.

Are you buying car through company or personal?
    Which broker did you get quote for RSA from?

thanks.

Ok for the folks who are buying Tesla Model 3 through company (i.e. car MUST be registered in Company Name), this is what I've encountered:

* 123.ie = private car insurance only. No company registered cars permissible
    * AXA = awaiting response from them
    * Allianz = don't quote new Business
    * Arachas = don't have Tesla Model 3 on their systems, so refused to quote
    * QuoteDevil.ie = awaiting response from them, as Tesla Model 3 not on their system
    * Kennco = €1926.29 (NCB Protection), €1727.45 (no NCB Protection) :eek:
    * Aviva = Declined to quote for Tesla Model 3 - their system threw up a message saying would not quote the car
    * Creane & Creane Broker = don't do Company Car insurance anymore
    * O'Leary Insurance Broker = refused to quote new Business, but would provide us with a quote given we have had previous business with them. Quote underwritten by XSDirect €1100 (with NCB being ported) €1600 (no NCB ported), €3000 excess
    * Power Insurance Broker = awaiting response from them while they ask the underwriters
    * FBD = don't have Tesla Model 3 on their system so wouldn't quote
    * AIG = who claim to be World insurance company, would not quote car registered to a Company

Most insurers say that Director MUST port their NCB into the Company Car Insurance... and car MUST be insured in Company Name. We have 10yrs+ NCB... so maximum available in a private policy capacity.

I know I've searched Boards threads and some FB groups... where people with Company Cars have managed to get car insurance in their name for their Company Car, and I've been told that this basically goes AGAINST car insurance conditions, and therefore your policy may be VOID in the case of any claims. Just something to keep in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

soc wrote: »
    I know I've searched Boards threads and some FB groups... where people with Company Cars have managed to get car insurance in their name for their Company Car, and I've been told that this basically goes AGAINST car insurance conditions, and therefore your policy may be VOID in the case of any claims. Just something to keep in mind.

It's a basic concept of insurance called "insurable interest". Basically you need to suffer from the loss in order to be entitled to compensation. If you write off a Tesla the company incurs the loss, not you, so they should be the beneficiary of the payout.

TychoCaine wrote: »
    It's a basic concept of insurance called "insurable interest". Basically you need to suffer from the loss in order to be entitled to compensation. If you write off a Tesla the company incurs the loss, not you, so they should be the beneficiary of the payout.

Oh I understand that...but I think those who have taken insurance policy out in their name for a company registered vehicle do not...and that they will effectively have a void policy as they've insurance on something they don't personally own. That's why I'm having difficulty getting insurance while they may think they had no issues getting the insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

I'm waiting on my model 3 (company car) and in a similar position & have been told by my broker that Allianz (who I am currently insured with) and Chubb will insure me in my personal name in this basis.

I will need to show evidence that myself & my spouse, who are the proprietary directors, own all the shares in the company and there are no third party interests. Once they have this, they are happy to keep insuring under my own name & allow me to keep NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Markjsca1

bf wrote: »
    I'm waiting on my model 3 (company car) and in a similar position & have been told by my broker that Allianz (who I am currently insured with) and Chubb will insure me in my personal name in this basis.

I will need to show evidence that myself & my spouse, who are the proprietary directors, own all the shares in the company and there are no third party interests. Once they have this, they are happy to keep insuring under my own name & allow me to keep NCB.

Can I ask who your broker is? Having some difficulty myself. I know there's a lot of variables, but what sort of quote are you getting?

Buying a Tesla? Get free credits using my referral link https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/mark65212

• Advertisement

Markjsca1 wrote: »
    Can I ask who your broker is? Having some difficulty myself. I know there's a lot of variables, but what sort of quote are you getting?

+1

I'm having tremendous difficulty, and we have 20 years driving, full licence, 0 penalty points, full NCB and company has been trading since the 1990's...

We're trying to insure a Model 3 LR.

What model are you insuring? And who is your broker?
    All assistance would be appreciated

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement