Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesla model 3 insurance

Options
  • 11-06-2019 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭

Folks - starting a separate thread as it keeps getting lost in the main Tesla 3 thread.

Now that the pre orders have started, can we compile a list of insurers / brokers who can (reasonably) insure the model 3 ?

I spoke to Aviva and 123 today and both won’t currently insure

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

s8n wrote: »
    Folks - starting a separate thread as it keeps getting lost in the main Tesla 3 thread.

Now that the pre orders have started, can we compile a list of insurers / brokers who can (reasonably) insure the model 3 ?

I don't think any company will insure the Model 3 until it enters the market, what are they going to insure?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭Old diesel

s8n wrote: »

Did they say why they won't insure?????

• Registered Users Posts: 23,427 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I don’t think they can offer quotes more than a month in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

I only noticed this thread, having replied to someone on another, who says they cannot get insurance. Perhaps this will help anyone who gets refused insurance.
    Yurple wrote: »
    Now I have called every broker and insurance company but nobody wants to insure me... not even for a big premium.

Actually, you can get insured in Ireland using the Declined Cases Agreement (DCA) procedure, as long as you are prepared to pay a bigger premium. First of all, you need to get 3 refusals, which you need to have in writing—insurers should always ask you if you would like a written “letter of refusal”, make sure you get one. At that point you contact the Declined Cases Committee of Insurance Ireland, who have the legal power to force an insurer to offer you a policy, unless offering the insurance to you would be “contrary to public interest”, the only reason why you could get refused insurance.

The rules also stipulate that while the premium may be high, it cannot be “excessive” as that would be tantamount to a refusal.

You need to keep a record of who you have asked for insurance and in what order, as the first insurer you asked is the one that would normally be requested to insure you. Detailed procedure is here.

By the way, these rules apply to any type of insurance in Ireland, not just motor insurance.

And...there is no point doing any of that until the cars have arrived in Ireland and are on the insurance company books. No one will offer a quote until the first ones have been homologated and the first VINs registered and approved here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DinoMix

Try kennco.ie
    Not cheap but will give you a quote on a model 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Machi

DinoMix wrote: »
    Try kennco.ie
    Not cheap but will give you a quote on a model 3

Wasn't expecting to see any Model 3 quotes available till July.
    Just tried kennco.ie through their normal car insurance quote flow and after selecting Tesla, the only models that appear for me in the dropdown are the Model S and the roadster (No model 3 or model x).

How did you find Model 3 in the dropdown? Are you an existing Kennco.ie client perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DinoMix

Yes I’m an existing kennco customer. I sent them an email and got a quote the next day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

DinoMix wrote: »
    Yes I’m an existing kennco customer. I sent them an email and got a quote the next day

Do tell?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

Ok, a bit related to Tesla, as I will need to insure my Model 3 hopefully shortly. My 520D I am replacing is insured with Zurich that don't insure Teslas, so not sure what options do I have.

I also have a leaf insured with AIG that I have to renew in 3 weeks, one option would be to get insurance of the leaf with Axa or some insurer that will accept insuring the Tesla and swap the policy of the 520D to the Leaf and the leaf to the tesla at the same time, feels very complicated to be honest and risky as won't be able to shop for a good deal on the Tesla

What options do I have? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

jarrieta wrote: »
    Ok, a bit related to Tesla, as I will need to insure my Model 3 hopefully shortly. My 520D I am replacing is insured with Zurich that don't insure Teslas, so not sure what options do I have.

I also have a leaf insured with AIG that I have to renew in 3 weeks, one option would be to get insurance of the leaf with Axa or some insurer that will accept insuring the Tesla and swap the policy of the 520D to the Leaf and the leaf to the tesla at the same time, feels very complicated to be honest and risky as won't be able to shop for a good deal on the Tesla

What options do I have? Thanks!
    Your existing insurer has to quote you.

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    Your existing insurer has to quote you.

But Zurich doesn't insure teslas, I doubt they will be able to insure the Model 3 as early as next month (or months :P )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭sk8board

But Zurich doesn't insure teslas, I doubt they will be able to insure the Model 3 as early as next month (or months :P )

Whats the reason for not insuring Tesla's?
    Surely its based on some risk assessment - environmentally friendly EV drivers (middle aged, higher income, safer, mostly!) in a brand new car would usually represent a lower risk profile?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

But even if they don't quote for new business, your existing insure is obligated to quote you for a change in vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

sk8board wrote: »
    Surely its based on some risk assessment - environmentally friendly EV drivers (middle aged, higher income, safer, mostly!) in a brand new car would usually represent a lower risk profile?

The sinister side of me suspects the connection between Jeff Bezos and Zurich Insurance may have some influence in this.

1gjevz.jpg

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Afraid of repair costs?????.

Very fast/powerful cars?????.

Irish insurers have form over the years for having brown trouser moments when cars that in other countries are totally normal are put forward for insuranc

Think back to the peak of Subaru in Ireland when Subaru Imprezas were still formidable rally and road cars*.

See also how they handle a car when it goes from 14 months and 364 days to exactly 15 years old.

Overnight the exact same car with same driver and no change in circumstances suddenly becomes uninsurable.

Btw Zurich were declining cars over 10 years old back in 2007/08.

So probably a very risk averse company generally

*Pre 2008 and the hatchback and silly road tax

• Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Old diesel wrote: »

This.

I've a GS450h and the amount of companies that won't quote is huge. I'd one broker have a sharp intake of breath when they entered the reg and another on a call back got all flustered when the computer said no when my details came up. Anything not a bog standard family car is difficult to insure in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

I wondered about this recently after test driving the Kona. As a car enthusiast I love the power, but between the amount of power and front wheel drive it reminded me of driving a Focus RS a few years ago. I described the Kona to friends as a weapon, meant in a positive way, but I cannot imagine handing it to my 17 year son.

Would be very cool if manufacturers could allow you limit EVs to standard/eco mode, maybe via a PIN code or something. But also wonder if we'll see insurers ask the kW output like they used to ask the engine size, and will this lead to a pulling back of the power output.

Personally think the Leaf24 has more than enough power up to about 80km/h for the average person, if they could maintain the same level of output up to say 140km/h it would be perfect.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

This is going to be a very interesting thread in late July and early August, can folks please post their insurance costs up here as a heads up to the community

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    This is going to be a very interesting thread in late July and early August, can folks please post their insurance costs up here as a heads up to the community

I am already quite nervous as not sure what can I do if my current insurer refuses to insure the model 3 (current insurance runs until next Jan)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Zenith74 wrote: »
    Would be very cool if manufacturers could allow you limit EVs to standard/eco mode, maybe via a PIN code or something.

Teslas have valet mode and speed limit mode, which you can enable in your app via a PIN.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

Oh great! Yet another disincentive / blockage to EV adoption in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Not a 3, but for reference Tesla Model X, wifes current insurer its4women (who are terrible anyway) wouldn't insure, Aviva wouldn't insure (house and spouse policy with them already). Got insurance via 123.ie, quite reasonable and cheaper than previous Jag F-Pace.
    Higher value might be a factor, the websites don't help when they require a cc value and don't accept 0.
    I'm putting most of it down to a slow industry who are just a bit behind. I don't believe there is any fear of EV's or conspiracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Luckylow10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Excellent, one less hurdle defeated! Go Tesla!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Luckylow10 wrote: »

Actually we tried AXA for our X also, they did quote but came in too high. Wife had a claim a couple of years ago, some insurers weren't bothered but AXA had a longer timeframe and jacked up the premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭sk8board

Afraid of repair costs?????.

SNIP

See also how they handle a car when it goes from 14 months and 364 days to exactly 15 years old.

Overnight the exact same car with same driver and no change in circumstances suddenly becomes uninsurable.

older cars carry more risk because they are considered less safe by new car standards, and tend to be used as a bumper car, where repairs won’t be claimed, but a big accident would.
    ‘Old’ has to start somewhere, so 10 years is the point chosen.

New car drivers tend to carry less insurance risk - they want to mind their new pride and joy.

As for ‘fast’, the SR+ is no faster than a GTI and slower than a Golf R - and the same purchase price. Ive insured both without an increase in my premium.

I think it’s your first point - the unknown cost of repairs, that’s the issue.
    Looking online there are some factual examples of people in the US having staggeringly big insurance repair bills and long wait times for parts.
    Take a look at The Fast Lane Daily on YouTube as an example. Current bill is over $10k for some rear bumper damage and the car is off the road for months already at an authorised repairer who has plenty other Tesla’s waiting in line. A total mess it would seem.

Now imagine repairing that damage in stillorgin ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

older cars carry more risk because they are considered less safe by new car standards, and tend to be used as a bumper car, where repairs won’t be claimed, but a big accident would.
    ‘Old’ has to start somewhere, so 10 years is the point chosen.

New car drivers tend to carry less insurance risk - they want to mind their new pride and joy.

As for ‘fast’, the SR+ is no faster than a GTI and slower than a Golf R - and the same purchase price. Ive insured both without an increase in my premium.

I think it’s your first point - the unknown cost of repairs, that’s the issue.
    Looking online there are some factual examples of people in the US having staggeringly big insurance repair bills and long wait times for parts.
    Take a look at The Fast Lane Daily on YouTube as an example. Current bill is over $10k for some rear bumper damage and the car is off the road for months already at an authorised repairer who has plenty other Tesla’s waiting in line. A total mess it would seem.

Now imagine repairing that damage in stillorgin ...

All good notions but don't take the US repair bills as benchmark. In a country where an X-ray can cost $10k a car repair bill of $10k for a heavy scratch doesn't surprise me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Luckylow10 wrote: »

I think this package from Axa for the first year at least would be a safe bet and I will certainly be getting it even if the price is higher than my current insurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

How relevant are crash repairs anyway? In my well over 30 years of driving, I've had to have a bumper repaired once (as I got rear ended)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

samih wrote: »
    All good notions but don't take the US repair bills as benchmark. In a country where an X-ray can cost $10k a car repair bill of $10k for a heavy scratch doesn't surprise me at all.

America has cheap cars and expensive medical care. Tesla is concentrating on sales and not on support, which is why when the major manufacturers get their act together on EVs Tesla will be no more. People won't accept the lack of support the early adapters do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement