Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Am Mother (netflix scifi)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

lol dude..
    mother isn't the droid..

the droid is just a husk.. a machine

mother remote controls it.

mother was all the machines outside too

Daughter 1 .. Swank.. also getting out clearly shows mother isnt focused on stopping them getting out

Mother was all about the exams. She was looking for a result in them.

We're not exactly sure why Daughter 2 died/was killed but it's implied it had something to do with the exams

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Slydice wrote: »
    lol dude..
    mother isn't the droid..

the droid is just a husk.. a machine

mother remote controls it.

mother was all the machines outside too
    I know that, im referring to both
    why does mother think the best way to create good humans is with a 1 parent raised kid??
    Daughter 1 .. Swank.. also getting out clearly shows mother isnt focused on stopping them getting out
    did she let daughter 1 go, or just use her escape to her advantage when she could

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

It's not explained in the film. We're not even 100% if mother was gonna kill her there in the end

That and much of the rest is why my first call out is for a sequel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

It's not explained in the film. We're not even 100% if mother was gonna kill her there in the end

That and much of the rest is why my first call out is for a sequel!

I wondered if it was all part of the plan..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Watched it this evening and it's solid, low budget, but high budget looking; few sets and actors but it all looked slick and lived in. Mother herself was the standout with some fantastic practical FX that as always prove a render farm of 50 code monkeys is no substitute for a good costume.

The plot itself was ... fine. One of those puzzle-box narratives where part of me was waiting for the third act rug pull; what came though was neither surprising or particularly satisfying. Not terrible, but just lacking enough freshness to make the journey worthwhile.

Still a decent watch and a better standard than Netflix's usual jaunts into SciFi. Or indeed a lot of stuff in the cinema at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Here's a really good vid on the costume for Mother

https://youtu.be/8_XwRFD5Lqs

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Quite enjoyed this and hope to see Netflix make more like it: good, solid mid-budget Sci-Fi.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Started well, but then the plot became an illogical mess. A wasted idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Nobelium wrote: »
    Started well, but then the plot became an logical mess. A wasted idea.

Some of the ideas need teasing out, and are open-ended, but this hardly constitutes a logical mess. Can't see where this criticism is coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I know that, im referring to both
    why does mother think the best way to create good humans is with a 1 parent raised kid??
    because they could only afford one costume?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

A very enjoyable film, that had a lot of interesting ideas.

I think the reason for their only being one droid, is that it allowed the children the chance to develop more freely. If there had of been two droids the child may have felt out numbered and under constant scrutiny. By there only being one it give the child the illusion that at times it was free to explore. Essentially Mother wanted the child to grow up to be a replacement and the start of a better race, a more ethical race. This needed to come naturally from the child, the droid and mother could have easily forced the child to be a better person, but then it isn't really a better person as it is only doing what it has been told is right.

Also with the droid being a robotic female care giver could be a way to help encourage a more gentle, ethical human population. A male droid could spark rivalry in any potential children as the male may be seen as a challenge of authority that needs to be over come.

I think when Hillary Swank's character mentioned about vaguely remembering videos that was a call out to her being number 1 many years ago.

Mother is ethical while also being amoral, it served a higher purpose, and seeing just how badly we have damaged the ecology of the planet, I for one don't think Mother was wrong. Her purpose is one that may seem cruel, but the logic that supports it is unquestionable.

Advertisement