Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2019 - Round 7 - Canada

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

Entertainment was had but not really they way I wanted a race to be resolved . I will avoid commenting on penalty .

Lance Stroll had a really good race . Nice drive to catch and over take Sainz and really nice how Dani Kyvatt managed to pull off that over take straight after .

They were the remaining highlights of the race for me .

Good result for Renault even if I feel they were a bit anonymous today as well as Redbull . They were well down . Not a good showing by Honda powered this weekend .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

Big result for Lewis though championship wise,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

skipper_G wrote: »
    All the professional racing drivers turned pundits on Sky agree, did not deserve a penalty.

You really only need eyes and a brain. They are correct, this is the same stupidity level of Spa 2008 (Hamilton was penalized for "gaining an advantage" although he lost a position and regained it on the following corner, go check it).

Toto's full of cr@p, trying to imply Vettel catching the oversteer was aimed at closing down on Hamilton.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Vettel made a mistake, went off the track, then came back on, crossed to the other side and nearly took out another driver.

Does intent really matter? Why does it matter that he had nowhere else to go, he still reentered the track and nearly hit the other car. If he had come across and actually clipped Hamilton would that have made it worth a penalty? Why? Whats the difference?

I get that it is a shame and that nobody wants to win a race like that, but taking the emotion out of things it just seems like a straightforward penalty to me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

At least it's something to look at/ talk about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,473 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

All the ex racing drivers on sky seem to be in agreement about it being an unfair penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Whatever about some of the incorrect opinions expressed on here, I'm glad all the pundits and actual race drivers recognise that the penalty was the wrong decision.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

It all boils down to Seb making a mistake. I don't think he had anywhere to go but if you make a mistake it can cost you a place and that's what happened. Very very disappointing to see another Merc win but I have lost all sympathy after his petulance.

I agree with this.

Having seen the on-board footage I agree the penalty was harsh as it's clear he's trying to regain control, but there is a lot to be said for Vettel sh*tting the bed whenever Hamilton is chasing him down. He clearly hasn't the head to deal with it most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Vettel made a mistake, went off the track, then came back on, crossed to the other side and nearly took out another driver.

Does intent really matter? Why does it matter that he had nowhere else to go, he still reentered the track and nearly hit the other car. If he had come across and actually clipped Hamilton would that have made it worth a penalty? Why? Whats the difference?

I get that it is a shame and that nobody wants to win a race like that, but taking the emotion out of things it just seems like a straightforward penalty to me.

Wrong point to look at it. There was LITERALLY nothing else he could've done.

Also, on day 1 of race driver training you're taught one thing: if you see an incident up ahead, put your car on the side of the track IT STARTED, as the car(s) are unlikely to come back there. Had they crashed, that would've been a mistake on the part of Hamilton as well - trying to go around the outside of an out of control car isn't a great idea. He's too good and experienced not to know he was taking a risk himself there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,848 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Personally I think they should have been called to the stewards after the race to make their case.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

HighLine wrote: »
    Whatever about some of the incorrect opinions expressed on here, I'm glad all the pundits and actual race drivers recognise that the penalty was the wrong decision.

I think you'll find the only decision that matters is that it was deemed a penalty, so that is the correct opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Wrong point to look at it. There was LITERALLY nothing else he could've done.

I fully understand that.

If Vettel had actually put Hamilton into the wall, would it have been worth a penalty then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭This is it

Pissartist wrote: »
    I think you'll find the only decision that matters is that it was deemed a penalty, so that is the correct opinion.

That doesn't make it correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭BikeRacer

You're all focusing on the penalty, the penalty is secondary, this is just another addition to the growing list of times Seb has been put under pressure and a resulting mistake has cost him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

I believe Hamilton shouldn’t of been trying to go for that gap in the first place. He had to of known vettel would come back on the track. If he had stepping off the power maybe he would of been able to take the dirty side round him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Faugheen wrote: »
    I agree with this.

Having seen the on-board footage I agree the penalty was harsh as it's clear he's trying to regain control, but there is a lot to be said for Vettel sh*tting the bed whenever Hamilton is chasing him down. He clearly hasn't the head to deal with it most of the time.

Hamilton out-braked himself at least twice so his race was not perfect either. Drivers make mistakes when on the limit. I think the wrong person won today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

I believe Hamilton shouldn’t of been trying to go for that gap in the first place. He had to of known vettel would come back on the track. If he had stepping off the power maybe he would of been able to take the dirty side round him.

I suppose Hamilton had the 'right of way' as he was already on the track (for want of a better term!)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Vettel failed to make the corner.
    Hamilton made the corner.
    Vettel had little choice but to rejoin as he did however I'd see it that he failed to lose a place by going off the track and as such he should have let Hamilton by at next opportunity and race on from there.
    Vettel couldn't afford to do that though as he is really starting to get the tag of being unable to handle pressure so he kept the lead and pretended all was well then blames all around him when he gets the penalty.
    I'm no Hamilton fan either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Hamilton took evasive action to avoid Rosberg in Spain 2016. Went on the grass, put the foot down and took Rosberg out

No penalty.

Vettel made a mistake and was trying to correct it. Gets a penalty.

F1 is a shambles. Indy Car is far better

• Registered Users Posts: 37,595 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It'd be a penalty if there was intent. Mistakes happen, no intent means no penalty. It's kudos he should be getting for keeping the car from crashing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,595 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Burkie1203 wrote:
    F1 is a shambles. Indy Car is far better
    Miles better as a spectator sport and no chance of a penalty for something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Indy Car is far better

And one person is responsible for penalty decisions. Same in IMSA and WEC. And while they make mistake from time to time, there's rarely as much controversy as there has been in F1 over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,848 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Interesting, LeClerc didn’t know about the penalty until after the race. I'm surprised Ferrari didn’t tell him to keep back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Penalty was extremely harsh.

Not much else he could have done with it after the rear went. Even all the guys in Sky were in agreement with Vettel on it, saying of course Merc/Hamilton fans would disagree but it looked like just a standard racing incident we see a lot.

It does raise some question about over regulation from stewards and lacks of appeal processes. The drama after the race by Vettel was highly entertaining at least!

Also people accusing him of bottle/etc, don't agree. He has made mistakes previously but today there wasn't much he could have done there, rear went and he did well to recover it.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Hamilton out-braked himself at least twice so his race was not perfect either. Drivers make mistakes when on the limit. I think the wrong person won today.

Yes he did, and yes mistakes do happen.

However, it's becoming a pattern for Seb to make a costly mistake when he's out in front and Hamilton is chasing him down, applying the pressure.

Compare it to the other way around and Hamilton just looks much cooler and doesn't let it phase him as much. Same with the likes of Kimi and Ricciardo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Faugheen wrote: »
    I agree with this.

Even Brundle who I dislike explained in this situation it wasnt really a mistake by Vettel.

Track temperature and the slow pack ahead played a part and the rears didn't keep up. He did well to save it.

Yes Vettel has had high profile errors but think it's unfair to call today one. He had a brilliant race today despite the result.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Hamilton took evasive action to avoid Rosberg in Spain 2016. Went on the grass, put the foot down and took Rosberg out

No penalty

Why would Hamilton get a penalty for being forced out onto the grass?

Sorry, but that's a ridiculous comparison and they are in no way similar.

I agree the penalty was harsh but comparing Hamilton and Rosberg to this and saying Hamilton got no penalty is bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭This is it

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Penalty was extremely harsh.

Not much else he could have done with it after the rear went. Even all the guys in Sky were in agreement with Vettel on it, saying of course Merc/Hamilton fans would disagree but it looked like just a standard racing incident we see a lot.

It does raise some question about over regulation from stewards and lacks of appeal processes. The drama after the race by Vettel was highly entertaining at least!

Also people accusing him of bottle/etc, don't agree. He has made mistakes previously but today there wasn't much he could have done there, rear went and he did well to recover it.

I'm a fan of Vettel but I don't agree with your last paragraph. The rear went because he made a mistake. There wasn't much he could've done to rejoin the track in any other way but what he could've done to avoid the whole issue was not make a mistake in the first place.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Yes Vettel has had high profile errors but think it's unfair to call today one. He had a brilliant race today despite the result.

It was an error which cost him the race at the end of the day though.

Vettel has the same track conditions as everyone else. Hamilton made the corner without any issues just a split second later, so the cool track excuse really doesn't wash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Indycar is shíte, contrived sport to keep the racing close, low tech, not my cup of tea to be honest.

Advertisement