Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mattress buying guide

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

hago123 wrote: »
    Thanks, but the question is what mattress should I buy? I live in Co Clare, Ireland.

You should go to a shop and lie on a few until you decide what suits you best. Nobody can advise you what you will find comfortable, everybody is different. I can’t recommend a shop, but any decent furniture shop should have a selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭chicorytip

You need an extra firm (tufted) mattress. You will find it hard to lie on at first but will soon become accustomed. This is the only type of mattress that will provide the level of support you require and can genuinely be described as orthopaedic. Sealy is the best brand.
    Is it a single or double you require? A single Sealy can be bought from Littlewoods Ireland for about three hundred and fifty euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

It doesn't matter if your existing mattress is an orthopaedic one. Maybe it was a good mattress one but that could be 20 or 30 years ago for all you know. In the meantime, goodness knows what hardship it has been through. I should hope that you've reached the stage of your life where you can tell the difference between the type of mattress you like and the ones you don't. Sagging mattresses don't do anybody any good, nor do cheap ones that are too soft. Lie down on the cheapest mattress in the shop and you'll soon see what I'm on about.

Buying a mattress isn't rocket science. You simply go into a furniture shop that sells bedding and lie down on mattresses until you find one that's comfortable for you. The man I dealt with in the shop where I bought my bed was very helpful and didn't push me towards buying the most expensive mattresses in the place. There are different types of springs, mattress toppings etc. and he was able to tell me which ones would be too warm etc. I can't remember how much I paid for the mattress now but it was probably in the €400 price range for a double. It was delivered that same day too which was very handy. Even if you end up going to a physio, what they might recommend to you won't solve your problem. You still have to be able to sleep on the mattress and you're unlikely to do that easily if it's like lying on a board. We've established that flipping the mattress and sleeping on a less knackered side is helping you. So you don't need to go into overkill. You just need a mattress that isn't sagging in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Turning top to tail and over will help.

In desperation I have also put mattress on the floor and slept there

The worst I have had in rentals was a one inch thick felt pad through which the slats were keenly felt. The best twice; a really good ortho mattress like now.

It matters greatly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

chicorytip wrote: »
    You need an extra firm (tufted) mattress.

Not necessarily. Extra firm for someone who isn't heavy can cause back pain.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

chicorytip wrote: »
    You need an extra firm (tufted) mattress. You will find it hard to lie on at first but will soon become accustomed. This is the only type of mattress that will provide the level of support you require and can genuinely be described as orthopaedic. Sealy is the best brand.
    Is it a single or double you require? A single Sealy can be bought from Littlewoods Ireland for about three hundred and fifty euro.

I really can't agree with anything in this post, apart from the fact you can buy a Sealy mattress in Littlewoods :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭chicorytip

antix80 wrote:
    Not necessarily. Extra firm for someone who isn't heavy can cause back pain.

Balanadan wrote:
    I really can't agree with anything in this post, apart from the fact you can buy a Sealy mattress in Littlewoods

That's o.k.

Advertisement