Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mattress buying guide

Options
  • 06-06-2019 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi,
    Past few months I have been suffering pain the lower back. Especially when I get up in the morning severe pain and later in the evening the pain subsides.

I am suspecting my mattress because I see a sag in the middle of the mattress.
    When inspected further, I see that I am already having an orthopedic mattress.
    I will be going for a MRI scan too.

Any suggestion what mattress should I change to? my weight is roughly 76 kgs.

Thanks
    Hago
    Tagged:

Comments

Spend the money on physio instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Try doing some back exercises and ab workout before you go to sleep. Strengthening your abs will straighten your back, especially if you do it just before bed time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Go to a physio. They'll make suggestions about mattresses and other stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

How old is your mattress?

They only last 5-8 years.

I never stint on mattresses, I want good quality for something that supports me for 8 out of every 24 hours.

At the moment I have a King Koil Spinal Guard, it might be too firm for some people but I like a firm mattress.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Everyone is different, you should go to a furniture shop and try a few out to see what suits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

hago123 wrote: »
    I am suspecting my mattress because I see a sag in the middle of the mattress.
    Buy a bedside stool, to use to get dressed, etc, rather than sitting on your bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

the_syco wrote: »
    Buy a bedside stool, to use to get dressed, etc, rather than sitting on your bed.

Is that a thing? Surely most people get dressed on their feet.

There shouldn't be a sag in the middle of your mattress. It suggests your mattress is clapped out and maybe your bed-frame is clapped out too.

A medium-firmness mattress should be fine for your weight. Very heavy people might need a firmer mattress.

I've noticed a lot of people with back and neck pain rush to spend a lot of money on new mattresses and pillows when a lot of the time it's things like sedentary lifestyle, bit of weight round the mid-section, lack of core strength, etc, that is probably the root cause of their pain, even if they only tend to notice it while trying to sleep or the next morning.

I agree with what others say. It's a lot better to visit a physio to rule out back problems than to rush to spend a lot on orthopaedic beds/mattresses/pillows that might cost more and be more uncomfortable without fixing your problem.

antix80 wrote: »
    There shouldn't be a sag in the middle of your mattress. It suggests your mattress is clapped out and maybe your bed-frame is clapped out too.

A medium-firmness mattress should be fine for your weight. Very heavy people might need a firmer mattress.

I've noticed a lot of people with back and neck pain rush to spend a lot of money on new mattresses and pillows when a lot of the time it's things like sedentary lifestyle, bit of weight round the mid-section, lack of core strength, etc, that is probably the root cause of their pain, even if they only tend to notice it while trying to sleep or the next morning.

I agree with what others say. It's a lot better to visit a physio to rule out back problems than to rush to spend a lot on orthopaedic beds/mattresses/pillows that might cost more and be more uncomfortable without fixing your problem.

In fairness, if the OP says his mattress is sagging in the middle, he needs a new one, and if he goes for physio, one of the first things they will (or should) ask is what condition his mattress is in, so he’ll be advised to buy a new on anyhow.

jlm29 wrote: »
    In fairness, if the OP says his mattress is sagging in the middle, he needs a new one, and if he goes for physio, one of the first things they will (or should) ask is what condition his mattress is in, so he’ll be advised to buy a new on anyhow.

True. But there's a difference between buying a new mattress and paying double on an overly-firm one that could actually make things worse. What I'm saying is I don't think op needs a "mattress buying guide" as much as he needs a new mattress.

As for the MRI :confused: if you have severe back-pain and suspect it's your mattress that sags in the middle.. of course you'll book yourself in for an MRI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭accensi0n

I've been to multiple (supposedly reputable) physios, none of them asked about my mattress/bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭hago123

3DataModem wrote: »
    Go to a physio. They'll make suggestions about mattresses and other stuff.

Ok. So once my MRI is done, will my GP refer me to a physio? How does that work in Ireland? I have private insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Ok. So once my MRI is done, will my GP refer me to a physio? How does that work in Ireland? I have private insurance.

Is the MRI public or private?

When the results come back to the GP he/she will then discuss next steps with you. It may be referral to a consultant or physio or something else.

How it works is that if its public you go on a waiting list, if its private you find yourself a physio and go and get physio and pay and claim something back from your insurance if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Can't comment on the health issues here but any mattress from €800 upwards should be more than sufficient. Harvey Norman have a decent range and do that interest-free payment plan. When testing them lie fully on the mattress. Sitting on it won't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Rootsblower

My wife has a damaged disc in her lower back coupled with a worn out mattress left her in a lot of pain especially first thing in the morning.

A orthopedic surgeon recommended a Tempur mattress. They are v pricey but it was bye bye pain for my wife and that was 2014 and none since.

P.S I don’t work for Tempur or any furniture retailer or neither do any of my relatives.

Did the gp refer you for the MRI, or did you self refer?

If you need to have physio, the gp can refer you publicly, and you can wait- wait times will vary depending on where you are. Some areas are very quick, others, you can expect a fine wait in the public system.
    If you want to pay for private physio, you can just find one and book yourself in. You may or may not be able to recoup some of the costs through your health insurance.
    But really, if your mattress is sagging and old, you might need none of the above, including the MRI. It seems like an extreme first step.

accensi0n wrote: »
    I've been to multiple (supposedly reputable) physios, none of them asked about my mattress/bed.

Maybe your symptoms didn’t warrant the question. But the OP is waking with back pain that goes away throughout the day. It’s a fairly logical question to ask them

Did the gp refer you for the MRI, or did you self refer?

If you need to have physio, the gp can refer you publicly, and you can wait- wait times will vary depending on where you are. Some areas are very quick, others, you can expect a fine wait in the public system.
    If you want to pay for private physio, you can just find one and book yourself in. You may or may not be able to recoup some of the costs through your health insurance.
    But really, if your mattress is sagging and old, you might need none of the above, including the MRI. It seems like an extreme first step.

The GP referred me to the MRI. It is private one. Based on the results. if he suggests a physio can I ask for a public one? I live in Shannon, Co Clare.

The GP referred me to the MRI. It is private one. Based on the results. if he suggests a physio can I ask for a public one? I live in Shannon, Co Clare.

It seems a bit like overkill, unless you’ve been having problems for ages or something. You can ask to be referred publicly. Find out where your local primary care team is based and ring and ask how long the wait list is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 KOKOKOKOKO

My recommendation is to lie for at least 10 minutes. Move to right, left test different pillows, check if the cover can be removed and washed. If you are buying double/king size let your partner to test it as well. Move intensively, check if you disturb you partner. Check if the mattress can turned upside down....or with other words...feel what your body will tell you.
    10 years ago I bought 7' full memory foam - very expensive one. The seller said to me:
    1. your are going to spent 1/3 of your life - invest on it
    2. the only disadvantage if the this model... is that you can't sleep well when you are not at home.
    He was right for both and I don't regret with my choice.
    Good luck

• Advertisement

KOKOKOKOKO wrote: »
    My recommendation is to lie for at least 10 minutes. Move to right, left test different pillows, check if the cover can be removed and washed. If you are buying double/king size let your partner to test it as well. Move intensively, check if you disturb you partner. Check if the mattress can turned upside down....or with other words...feel what your body will tell you.

All this in the shop? Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 KOKOKOKOKO

All this in the shop? Bizarre.

As much as allowed. I bought mine abroad and it was fine to try. My idea was to test it thoroughly and to have a kind of check list. I have had the perfect mattress and pillow tested separately but used together didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

About mattresses, old fashioned mattresses which lasted decades were so comfy without a hitch to back problems. These days, certain mattresses do not last as to what they say "on the tin". I've noticed this with an Ikea mattress, it didn't last 5 years with springs springing up in various places with hurt to the body and this was a mattress which was treated with delicacy since the purchase date as it was never jumped on for example. Perhaps we need a mattress mega thread! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

If the OP is in a rented house and the mattress came with it, goodness knows what he's sleeping on. Mattress might be a cheap and nasty one not designed to last long. I have slept on mattresses that were too soft for my liking and after a few nights, they've resurrected old aches and pains.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

If you're looking to buy a good mattress, you need to go to a shop to try them out. Everyone is different, and what suits one person won't suit another - any mattress that claims otherwise is bull****. Take your time and lie on the mattresses. You can get a (very) good double mattress from around €400 and up. The most expensive mattress isn't necessarily the best one for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Is that a thing? Surely most people get dressed on their feet.
    Some do, some don't. If there's a sag in the middle of the bed, then I'm guessing they sit on the side of the box.

=-=

Not sure about here in Ireland, but in Toronto, "bed in a box" is handy. It comes compacted, you lay it on the floor, and 48 hours later you have a mattress. Not bad, but not great, and certainly not firm; I got the firmest one there was, and it wasn't all that firm. Would never buy a bed in a box again.

UPDATE:
    After posting here, I went home and flipped my mattress. For the past 2 nights, I have been sleeping like this.
    Guess what, that pain which was almost killing me was not felt in the morning. There is still some discomfort but that unbearable pain is not there.
    What could be my next steps?

Thanks

UPDATE:
    After posting here, I went home and flipped my mattress. For the past 2 nights, I have been sleeping like this.
    Guess what, that pain which was almost killing me was not felt in the morning. There is still some discomfort but that unbearable pain is not there.
    What could be my next steps?

Thanks
    Cancel the mri. Go to a shop. Buy a new mattress. Probably live happily ever after

Cancel the mri. Go to a shop. Buy a new mattress. Probably live happily ever after

Thanks, but the question is what mattress should I buy? I live in Co Clare, Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Are there no mattress shops in Co. Clare?

Advertisement