Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 announcements on new NCD Greenway

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭marathon2022

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Certainly some of the advance works contracts are underway for Broadmeadow. Boundary fencing and gates have just been completed along the new boundaries to fence off the route along the Donabate end.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Well I took a look at a sample of the complaints and the vast majority seem to be about one particular road in Rush

The majority of the greenway particularly outside urban areas runs along or near the coast

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I had a look at this today. Looks like a great amenity if its ever built. But the really need to look at where it is going down residential roads. Im sure the people whoi live there dont want it, but personally I would rather walk along an actual greenway than walk along a residential road. And definitely keep the bikes separate from pedestrians and ban scooters.

I tend to agree, if I'm out for a walk or cycle I don't particularly want to be going down a residential street

The main issue seems to be one street in Rush, hardly an insurmountable problem

It'd be nice if they could put a boardwalk down the coast for that section, but IIRC there's a good number of houses bordering the coast and trying to put a right of way behind their back wall probably won't go down well

Although if it shifts the foot traffic off their road they might change their minds...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

That would be a good idea alright but you would have to raise the boardwalk there for about 2km or it would be washed away. Maybe even build a sea wall and put the walk inside that. The golf club would certainly go for that and some of the houses beside the sailing club with gardens suffering from erosion might go for it too. As you say there are a fair few houses along that road whose gardens back on to the beach and are quite low so they definitely wont be happy with a wall or hundreds of people looking in their big picture windows as they walk by.

Id love to see this built though and maybe a spur up to the train station too to connect the walk to the train station.

Looking at the plans for greenways in Fingal, I gotta say I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of inland greenways

For example, the Broadmeadow Greenway links Malahide to Donate but doesn't extend along the Broadmeadow River to Swords

There doesn't seem to be any plans for a decent greenway along the Ward river either

Nor is there anything Westbound towards Ashtown to link up Ballyboughal or Oldtown to the coastal greenway

I get that the coastal greenway is the main focus and will probably deliver the biggest impact in terms of traffic and tourism, and it's unlikely the council has the money or resources to build multiple major greenways in parallel

But even a "future plans" page would be nice to show where they'd like to go in the longer term

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

Anything recent on any of these? Broadmeadow, Baldoyle-Malahide, Fingal Coastal Way?

I think SI or enabling works were underway for Broadmeadow, are we still waiting for the preferred option and Part 8/10 submissions on the other two?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭robbe

Construction work has been going on for the last few weeks at the estuary in Malahide, constant stream of trucks carrying hardcore back and forth to the site. Not sure if there was ever any resolution to how/where people would access the village but I'm sure in good time Daragh O'Brien will be having a photo op at the site and all will be revealed. Can't imagine it will be ready before next year but I don't know the timelines.

Is that section for the bridge across the estuary?

That by itself would be a big improvement for the coastal walk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭SharkMX

He was out in Rush about 6 months - maybe more - ago for a photoshoot beside the beach car park. He made a little speech about the improvements about to start right where he was standing. The owner of the laneway was standing right in front of him when he basically said "we are going to pave this lane and then you'll be able to walk or cycle from Skerries to the city center.

Well a few days later the laneway, which was open for 50 years was closed off. I heard later that the owner was happy to let it be used for the last 50 years but when the council decided that they owned it and were going to pave it without even asking him he closed it up. Now he has asked them to buy it off him if the want to use it and they are refusing. So thats one lovely walk that people have been able to do for decades just gone now.

Assume so though I expect it will take quite some time to be completed. The Fingal website has the construction works taking 2 years.........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

and they can only work during the night apparently once the trains have finished

Hi,

Not sure about only being able to work at night as they're working away on the walkway to the side from the morning to afternoon - hard to tell what they're up to exactly but some of the embankment to the side of the track has been built up and there are a few trucks going to and fro constantly during the day and a large JCB out moving earth.

I think a lot of the work can be done during daylight hours, but as I recall the pedestrian bridge is going to be attached to the train bridge and that'll necessitate night work for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭billyhead

He hardly owns that walk through. Is it not a public path? What right has he to block it off?

It might be a public right of way across private land, so he could own the land but I'm pretty sure he can't block access

It could also be a private laneway which was just left open, there's a few around. I think the owner can block that if they want

In any case the council should just buy the land and knock any future disputes on the head before they start

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Turns out its not a public path at all, as the council found out. Between that and someone slipping on it last year and taking a claim against the council, who referred the claimant to the landowner, you can see why they might be mad enough to just close it.

Advertisement