Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For All Mankind (SciFi Apple TV+)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭nachouser

It's not great, that's all I'll say.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Quality of writing and acting gone off a cliff this season. The USSR stuff is about all thats keeping me interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

After a pretty slow episode last week, this one escalated quickly. Pity about Sergei though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

what was he doing in that motel ?

had he already left his wife?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

We ended up catching up on this show from series one, now on the first few episodes of the 4th series. Im enjoying this one the most so far with the social structure on Mars etc. Its a pity this show wasnt made 10 years ago though if you know what I mean

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I had a little giggle at Poole's comment that her and the granddaughter were going to watch all three seasons of Star Trek, implying that The Next Gen etc were never made

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Homelander

What I don't get is that even if everything went completely according to plan with no hitches, everyone involved in the "heist" would be facing jail for the rest of their lives. So I've no idea why the show completely glosses over that and instead treats it like a minor thing rather than what it really would be - basically treason at the most serious and highest level, let alone a myriad of other likely charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

They’d hold the goodies of the asteroid to ransom, demand immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭tom23

Baldwin character is just shite this season. Makeup looks poxy and he looks as interested as someone smelling their own fart in a spacesuit (no up intended).

I wish a bird of prey first contact would come along a blow them to bits.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Episode 6 and I have to say: the actor playing Margo has by and large done a much better job conveying the character's supposed age than Baldwin; weirdly she appears to have less make-up but the actor carries herself different that she sells it really well. There's a slower, more deliberate quality to how she moves about, or how she stands holding her back like she has lingering, a little stoop in her height.

While Joel Kinnaman barely makes an effort, even though Baldwin's the older person IIRC. He just swans about like normal, the make-up becoming more distracting 'cos he's not standing or moving like an old man.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Mars has less gravity than Earth and he's up there a long time flying around in near orbit or on the surface,as well as the beneficiary of whatever medical advances have come along with the rest of the technology. Dani would be the same.

Margo has been living in Soviet Russia for all that time (not exactly known for its quality of life). I'm not surprised she's aged harder.

SPOILERS AHEAD....

Still, after a slow start the finale stepped up in the last half of the episode. Was great that Lee finally got his wish delivered (not sure who all the other new arrivals were though and he looked very confused about it?)

Glad as well that Dani didn't actually die despite it looking likely. Despite being a bit of a girl scout, she did try to do right by her command and people to be fair. I can't remember what the history of the gun was though?

Another time jump and teaser at the end with the mining station now firmly established on the asteroid. I have to admit though, I can't see where they take the story from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭nachouser

Yeah, they've done a remarkable job with Margo. Power through the rest of the remaining eps.

Happy with season finale. I’ll give season 5 ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

wasn't convinced that mars would be abandoned/defunded if they didn't have the asteroid

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The plots in this show are bonkers but I'm still loving it. At times it's like Dream Team in space with the amount of terrorists "bus crashes" and "plane crashes" but at least they have toned down the family drama. Wouldn't put it past this show to find Cylons on that asteroid.

Ed has got to go now (he won't). The age thing has just gotten stupid at this stage and the younger characters are more than good enough to carry the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Wonder how close they'll go to The Expanse building a new political landscapes to manage the relationship between planets.

Ed does need to bow out - and I assume that's why in the jump to 2012, the focus was on Dev marveling his project. Likely leads next season from those we've already met would be Dev, Aleida, Kelly (felt like they gave up on her once she reached Mars), Kelly's son, maybe Massey & Hobson too. I'm sure Miles will still be there, but doesn't really make sense for him to be, unless his family have relocated to Mars.

I'll stick around anyway, wasn't a perfect season by any stretch but the outlandishness of stealing the asteroid was well offset by the intent of those that made it happen, so appreciated that.

I reckon Miles family will have to move to Mars. I'de be thinking anyone involved in the coup is stuck there forever and are probably citizens of Mars now because surely they are getting locked up if they go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

It's like it's turning into a prequel of The Expense.

I think Ed should have been killed off in the episode, I think dieing to guarantee the future of Mars would have been a fitting end for him.

Now Hlhe'll either die off before the next season, which is highly unlikely, or he'll have a meaningless death in the next season, although he should have died two seasons ago, so it'll end up that he'll just live forever on Mars.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Ed wouldn't be so bad if maybe they drew an arc where he learned a tiny bit of contrition and that his bullish stubbornness and general lack of emotional awareness was a problem.

But then "ed does a stupid thing" has been such an easy way to rustle up some drama I'm sure the writers resisted giving him any kind of arc. Not that this show has been a font of character development - they have generally stood still TBH - but Baldwin has been such a consistent problem astronaut.

• Advertisement

Maybe have him be the first person to die of old age on another planet.

i think they’ll freeze ed in carbonite until they figure out how to keep him alive for enternity.

His character arc was piss poor this season, i though Joel looked tired in the role.

The daughter will find alien bacteria that will be able to reverse the aging process.

But will only find a small amount which Ed will eat because fuk it ED is a do first thing later guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Homelander

Tremendously fun finale and enjoyed every moment of it.

Frustrated though they they didn't at all bother with any consequences for those involved in the heist, and resulting anarchy on the base, when realistically they'd all be looking at jail for life.

Reminds me of that Meeseeks episode of Rick and Morty that pokes fun at that exact trope, where Jerry goes to leave the restaurant after it gets absolutely trashed and everyone's held hostage by aliens, he's both the cause and solution.

"Let's go home".

Person walks in from out of frame. "You're not going anywhere. The police have been called. You have a lot of questions to answer."

The Yanks got caught torturing people and the original strike was 100% right. So my guess is some sort of hand waving amnesty being mentioned at the start of next season.

Finished Episode 7 and two thoughts occurred: one was a suspicion the show was about to have another bout of head-trauma lunacy with that Dev/Ed chat at the end; and the other was every time someone talked about Margo having "diplomatic immunity", my brain immediately went

deeploomatick imoonnitee!!

Watched episode 8 and uhhh, not quite getting the hate? The kid being on Mars is so stupid and his use in the conspiracy was itself quite dumb but I'm intrigued to see where it's all gonna go - though I can guess given Mars' future is on the line & it seems u likely it'll get downgraded at the end of all this. But I'd already resigned myself to the kid being there at all that his presence is all a bit sure, why not? He'd surely be so bored and lonely though.

Finished this up finally, and hmmm that ending was more than a little pat. Like they wanted the big Martian gotcha while pushing the repercussions away as a season 5 problem to sort out. There's just so many rabbit holes you could go down trying to work out how this whole arrangement would even work, how you get people to buy into it, and where it's going? Especially given the Goldilocks kidnapping was clearly a minority decision - is everyone buying into it.

I presume they're not so bonkers as to somehow have an Independent Mars spring up in season 5, but then this show has had its fair share of melodramatic or plain crazy swings. It's the dumbest smart TV show sometimes.

And given the slew of North Korean(?) people having now fled to Mars, yeah; maybe it's gonna have to become a neutral state.

Said it before and will say it again, kinda sick of the USSR/NASA stuff and would love to see a mix of new characters take charge from the Indian, Japanese or even European angles. Especially now that Mars may be a new player. Poole, Margo, Ed and the rest by 2012 must surely be far far too old to continue, cos I'm also sick of looking at Joel Kinnaman's blatantly fake hair piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Season was a real struggle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Acosta

I thought the first few episodes were excellent. Mainly because of the Russian stuff. But that was the weakest ending of the whole series. Overall i still preferred it to season 3.

Advertisement