Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For All Mankind (SciFi Apple TV+)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I feel like he just barely scrapped in, age wise, for the Mars mission last season. I forget what year they're meant to be in at this stage but assuming he was at the very least 30 when it started, in 1969, he would have been knocking on for 60 last season, and assuming another decade jump, yeah, he should be collecting his pension in Florida at this stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mind you, at least they tried with Ed. Saw this screen-grab form the trailer, and it looks like Danielle got a lot less makeup; I see a little a little salt & pepper and that's it.

It's funny cos something like The Crown showed you can have a successfull show that constant recasts for the age changes.

Instead of wasting half the season on the Stevens kids they should have spent more time last season establishing some new younger characters so they could carry it on this season. I think Kelly and Aleida are the only ones, age wise, that make sense to still be featuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

The For All Mankind Wiki has Danielle as being born in 1944 making her 59 assuming the 4th season is set in 2003(Ed is 74) . Given that I think a bit of Salt n Pepper is perfectly adequate, for now anyway.

Post edited by PhiloCypher on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ok, 58 isn't so bad then. Man if there's a season 5, and bounce another 10 years, they'll surely have to kill some of these guys off? I wonder do they have a time jump past which they won't go & end the show.

• Advertisement

Personally I'm not sure how interested I'd be once it goes past being an alternative history and just becomes the future, so probably 2 seasons more, at the absolute most.

First full trailer for fhe new season in November

... and Episode 1 had dropped FYI

• Registered Users Posts: 14,770 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Decent enough start. No doubt the soap opera aspect will come in eventually that drags the show down, but perhaps they examined where they've messed up in the past and will limit certain plotlines to references, so will have to wait and see.

Money is there, traditional alternate history recap, Old Man Kinnaman wasn't nearly as distracting as I thought, mad space physics etc.......OK to good stuff.

Episode 1 and the old age make up wasn't too bad in the end, though it worked much better with Margo than Ed, who looked a bit too weird and "make up"y - and Danielle just looks unchanged.

Not entirely sold on the premise of the season yet, mostly cos I'm not sure where it's going. Previous seasons certainly had a more distinct and immediate hook than this year's more established status quo. Can't see where any soap opera elements might appear though, so fingers crossed there'll be as little of that as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Acosta

Ed still an astronaut in 2003? He fought in Korea! Must be at least 70.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I watched the first series when it came out and thought it was decent, is it worth continuing with, or was the quality inconsistent?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 23,993 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They'll probably discover an alien potion under a rock on Mars which reverses the ageing process, and Joel & Co will still be in it for another ten seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

how many times has baldwin f'd up and killed ppl and he still there

Don't know how leaving NASA is going to fix Aleida Rosales PTSD

• Registered Users Posts: 28,735 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Second episode was good. Looks like there may be problems with the lower decks later on and Ed's dismissive attitude to the civilian workers explains a lot of the dissatisfaction there.

Picked up towards the end as well. Looks like Gorbachev has been deposed by presumably hard liners which will have a impact on things on Mars of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Anyone else have a feeling that Asteroid they had been tugging towards Mars Orbit will make an appearance again near the end of the season when it threatens to impact Mars and flatten Happy Valley ?

Oh so the company she wants to start up would just use robots, so no chance of ppl getting killed, the point was mad by the Bald Move podcast guys who who a good replacement for the lack of an official podcast his year https://baldmove.com/for-all-mankind/s04e02-have-a-nice-sol/

Well Episode 2 gave a stronger sense of where this season might be going: if I had to guess it's gonna involve a Union getting formed on Mars and potentially causing problems, Ed probably being a total àss throughout; and maybe (finally?) the breakup of the USSR? Or at the very least a coup; maybe alt-Boris Yeltsin is gonna take over, or we get an appearance of a certain Vladimir lol.

Always felt a little hungry for more world building than we get: what of Poland and Eastern Europe in this USSR that lasted into the 2000s? There were many breakaway attempts, so whither those? And it does strike a little odd that North Korea gets to sit on Mars yet no sign of longtime US ally South Korea who'd surely want to be there too. It's all trivial stuff but I'm always intrigued.

The stuff with Margo in Episode 3 was pretty tense, though had wondered where it was going that she might still be relevant to the overall story - and I guess that's that answered.

Otherwise felt a bit of a holding pattern otherwise, with only Aleida and Kelly's storyline moving forward - and honestly I could take or leave their whole subplot. NEver really liked either character TBH and they've not really got better with "age". And the more I've thought on it the more the whole "North KOrea gets a bit of Mars but they're locked away" kinda makes no sense whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 wytek

They might go beyond a union and towards an independant mars...

come on...

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭fran38

Just watched the latest episode. I didnt see anything strange?

just another episode of setup, there are only so many episodes left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Very good cold opening to the most recent story. Felt it was a really strong portrayal of politics & the media etc.

The Miles story is being drawn out a bit, the dubious "cheers" at the end indicating there's more to come... Just get on with it.

Credit to the writers for the amount of hoops they had to jump through to justifiy getting Kelly & Ed back together on screen for some final scenes (assumption). They found a reason why she'd be mission necessary, they overcame the idea of her abandoning her child, they even justified him accompanying her, they gave Dev separation issues so he'd approve it without for a second questioning bringing an 8-year old to Mars.

how did they not all die?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭MickH503

Bit behind on this only watching episode 5 and woof: sometimes you really gotta hold your nose at the swings this takes with the personal drama, and how (or who) it puts into space. Or indeed keeping certain characters relevant despite their story arguably being over.

Taking a 7 year old to space? Come on show. You're just going completely over the top, just to get Kelly and Ed together - two characters already past their sell by date.

The loss of Gordo and Tracey has been a bit of a gap never truly filled by anyone that interesting. Miles has been the best of the lot, bringing a good bit of Blue Collar frustration to this class of scientists and pilots.

Truly wish they expanded the perspectives on this cos a bit sick of the US/USSR stuff with 5 other groupings that might have offered a fresh new set of perspectives and arcs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nachouser

Ah yeah, wait til you get to ep 8:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭Homelander

Really enjoying this season but it is getting a bit too ludicrious in some of the plots. I mean, the sheer casual and light-hearted approach to breaking all manners of international law in the gravest ways in Ep8 is quite bizarre.

Advertisement