Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pistol choices

Options
  • 31-05-2019 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hi folks, as title suggests, can I get a vote for some of the popular pistols out there. Having shot a few, I'm leaning towards the Hamerelli Xesse.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Have a beretta 87t. I like it but I'm a **** shot with a pistol!

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Wadi14

The xesse is a good accurate pistol, if you can buy the sport or IPSC model they have more trigger adjustability and front sight size options than the basic model. There's a dovetail 11mm rail along the top of the barrel so a red dot could be added if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭RS98

Wadi14 wrote: »
    The xesse is a good accurate pistol, if you can buy the sport or IPSC model they have more trigger adjustability and front sight size options than the basic model. There's a dovetail 11mm rail along the top of the barrel so a red dot could be added if needed.

That's good to know. I'm looking for the IPSC model and plan to use an optic at some stage. Do you know some dealers that stock them by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Harbour house have a good selection of pistols available to try.

Luckysasha wrote: »

Perfect, I'll be going up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Wadi14

RS98 wrote: »
    That's good to know. I'm looking for the IPSC model and plan to use an optic at some stage. Do you know some dealers that stock them by any chance?

Most dealers don't stock pistols, but order them in as required, there are a few of the standard model for sale in the North, but hold out for the one you want.
    Paddy Fagan down in Harbour House should be able to get you what you want.
    Let us know how you get on with your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,951 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Any of the Ruger Mks 1to 4 are a good solid pistol.Once you figure out their stripping& reassembling quirk,they will go bang with any sort of .22 ammo in them.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Any of the Ruger Mks 1to 4 are a good solid pistol.Once you figure out their stripping& reassembling quirk,they will go bang with any sort of .22 ammo in them.

I've shot them a few times. They shoot well, never been mad about its looks. Will give it another go though thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Cill Dara Hunting have pistols on stock...& even had a new a Beretta 92 last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭oldgit1897

I thought the DOJ were not allowing dealers to stock pistols ? Has that been relaxed ?

• Advertisement

oldgit1897 wrote: »
    I thought the DOJ were not allowing dealers to stock pistols ? Has that been relaxed ?

Why would the DOJ be stopping a registered Firearm Dealer stocking pistols?...you may be confusing it with not been allowed importing a pistol without an end user certificate...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Why would the DOJ be stopping a registered Firearm Dealer stocking pistols?...you may be confusing it with not been allowed importing a pistol without an end user certificate...

^^^^^^^^^

Which is a makey-uppey rule that has no basis in law.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^

Which is a makey-uppey rule that has no basis in law.

Yep...total b****...its just a way of curtailing numbers off the shelf.
    I know of a lad currently waiting 9 months for his pistol from a dealer...

Didn’t David Brennan in Ardee try and bring a court case over this a couple of years ago. From what I remember hearing he had imported pistols without having licenses for them. They where stock for the shop but the local FO seized them

Didn’t David Brennan in Ardee try and bring a court case over this a couple of years ago. From what I remember hearing he had imported pistols without having licenses for them. They where stock for the shop but the local FO seized them

If there was import paperwork why would the local FO seize them?

Not sure of the exact details but i know it was a big talking point at the time.

I know two dealers personally, both shoot in the club. Both told me if the pistol is not licenced to someone, then they cannot import it. So if you are a dealer you cannot just contact beretta or walther and order half a dozen pistols for stock, as the doj/ guards will not sign off import certs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Two RFDs took a high court action, and won, against this in 2013 (iirc). So if AGS are stopping RFDs importing by not signing the imports then they are acting illegally.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

I know of one rfd that has been bringing in pistols from mainland Europe over the last few years without any problems.

I see, it was a while ago i was asking about this. Good to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,951 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

So it seems to be another inconsistent policy again?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

So it seems to be another inconsistent illegal policy again?

Fixed that for you. :D

So it seems to be another inconsistent policy again?

Ah, the old, "Its not illegal but you cannot do it" line so beloved of this banana republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Is it ok call into Harbour House shop if your not a member?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭clivej

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Is it ok call into Harbour House shop if your not a member?

Yes your be welcomed there. Saturday is the only day to go

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jb88

Hammerli Xesse I think they are called work well out of the box, you may need to get a weighted piece which fits onto the front under the barrel as an added extra along with moulded grips as an option. readily available parts. But otherwise it works well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I wouldnt buy anything manufactured by the PW group which is Hammerli, Umarex, Walther etc.
    They are 95% mim parts and alot of their frames are made from a soft zinc alloy.
    I would buy CZ, S&W 41 or any of the ruger pistols. they are all made from quality parts and will last. Any of these cheap pistols made to look like full size pistols are simply toys for the american market, where they presume they will be used to plink occasionally and where they can just be binned when they stop working, theyre not designed to shoot competitions every weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Any opinions on Beretta 98?

Thanks

juice1304 wrote: »
    I wouldnt buy anything manufactured by the PW group which is Hammerli, Umarex, Walther etc.
    They are 95% mim parts and alot of their frames are made from a soft zinc alloy.
    I would buy CZ, S&W 41 or any of the ruger pistols. they are all made from quality parts and will last. Any of these cheap pistols made to look like full size pistols are simply toys for the american market, where they presume they will be used to plink occasionally and where they can just be binned when they stop working, theyre not designed to shoot competitions every weekend.

I fully agree. I do wish someone would do a proper steel 1911 in .22lr, like the old colt ace.

• Advertisement

juice1304 wrote: »

That's concerning. Anyone else got any opinions on the quality of Xesse's?

Advertisement