Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog with dodgy belly

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Really sorry to hear that, Taiga. I hope you do get better news soon.
    Thinking about you and the little guy, he's so gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Taiga

The vet opened him up on Tuesday, said his gut in a bad way. He sent samples away and came back as protein losing enteropathy. He's in a bad way. Bowel isn't taking any nutrients, he also has edema. If the diarrhoea doesn't stop he has no hope and it doesn't look good. He's still in the vets. I don't think he's going to come out of this, if he does what kind of a life will he have?

I've been crying all day. He's everywhere I go. I just can't believe this, my poor little buddy. How the hell am I going to tell the kids?:(:(:(

So sorry to hear this, Taiga, and he's not even an old dog. It's a terrible time for you all.

Thanks Volchitsa. Yeah he's only 6 the poor love.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Taiga wrote: »
    Thanks Volchitsa. Yeah he's only 6 the poor love.

Devestating to read. I was hoping to hear how he'd bounced back - can't imagine how upset you must be. I'm so sorry to read this.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much JustAThought. We should find out tomorrow or Tuesday if it's worth slogging on with him. The vet is trying a new drug and said there's a small improvement but it's not fair on him or us to continue like this.
    I am absolutely devastated. It's pure grief. I know it's so much worse if a human loved one was to die, but this feels similar tbh. I think especially when he was in his prime. This bloody lovely weather we've had, we'd have had him at the beach fetching sticks in the water or in his favourite wood. The killer is everywhere reminds me of him because we brought him everywhere.
    He put the run on a couple of scumbag burglars last year. Small as he is.
    Anyway, sorry for waffling. We'll just have to get through it. I'll keep you posted.x

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Hi Taiga,

I'm so sorry for what you're going through. I'd say there's a lot of people here who feel the same way but don't know what to say, and it feels sorry to "like" your posts. Has the a diagnosis yet? For me that's always the worst thing when they're sick, it's fine to know what's happening but you want to know what's causing it too.

Try not to worry too much and don't go mad with google. It's not overhelpful. If you trust your vet then just have a good chat with him and ask him lots of questions next time your in.

I hope he's feeling a bit better. xx

Thanks Choc Chip. Yeah he has protein losing enteropathy and other related issues. Things don't look good at all.
    I did the google thing and worried myself sick but the vet has been very open and has been ringing with updates.
    The next time I'm in he'll be either able to come home to see how he does or I'll be saying goodbye.:(:(:(

He's gone. Please tell me this pain will stop. Our little dote.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Oh no taiga, what an awful shock. I'm so, so sorry :(

• Advertisement

Thanks DBB, he got very bad on Tue after a tiny bit of hope. Was pts today. Jesus it hurts. He suffered the past few months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Ah no. I'm so sorry taiga.

Thanks Choc Chip. It's hard to see beyond this. I just can't believe he's not coming back. They really grip your heart don't they? We're all in bits here. I'm never up this late. Can't sleep. Can't settle. One child is bottling it up, the other is going between sobbing her heart out and comforting me.

What's bothering me massively is he was in 'hospital' just over a week. We hadn't seen him in that time as we were fairly stuck to each other and he would have been more stressed seeing us and us leaving him again. I thought I'd see him again. Part of me knew I wouldn't if that makes sense. But I can't stop thinking he thought we abandoned him.

I've always loved dogs. Always wanted one of my own but waited until we were sure we could look after one properly then we got him as an 8 week old from a rescue. I used to listen with half an ear if someone had lost their beloved pooch but I now understand the grief. You lose so much. I'm so sad.

Oh Taiga my heart sank when I saw this thread coming back up, I knew after what you'd said the other day that that's what it was likely to be. Such a gorgeous wee sweetheart, I'm sure you're all devastated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

God OP I’m so so sorry to hear your news x

I’m hope your doing ok... RIP little pup

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

:( Terrible news :( Very sorry OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

So very sorry for your loss OP. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Ah Taiga, so so sorry to hear about this. You did the right thing bringing him to the vet when you did and you didn't abandon him, you gave him the best possible chance to pull through - you would have preferred him at home but he would have suffered more that way, leaving him in the vet and keeping away so as not to upset him was a very selfless thing to do.

Honestly, the best possible thing you can do for your family is to get another dog as soon as you're ready to. He will never be replaced in your heart, but you gave him a wonderful life and you can do the same for another one. With so many dogs in rescues and pounds crying out for a home where they'll be taken care of as well as you've already done for your guy, it really is the best way to honour his memory.

Thanks so much for your kind words guys, it means a lot.x

Hubby was talking to the vet today and we've decided to have him cremated as we couldn't bear to hold his little body. It's longer than we'd hoped but we'll have his ashes in a couple of weeks and maybe we can have some closure then.
    Our vet is so kind and obviously loves and respects the animals he treats. Knowing that is a comfort too. He said whatever our insurance covers will be enough and he won't ask for more, aside from the cost of the cremation.

I don't know why but I'm a bit nervous about the insurance. I've never claimed back on any insurance before (tg) so I'm not sure how it works. We've been paying it since we got him and only for the fact we had it we wouldn't have been able to give him as much of a chance as we could. Hubby used to say we should cancel it as we don't even have private health insurance ourselves but I'm glad I ignored him!

I washed the little guys bedding today. His cushion by the stove. I folded (with some difficulty and lots of tears) his crate. I had to as the longer I leave it the harder it will be.

I ask myself is it worth it. I'm sure you guys understand, I never would have before, but the actual gut-wrenching grief we're feeling right now. Is it worth the love and protection (from burglars, other friendly dogs, the crows and starlings who had the cheek to perch on the roof of our house)he gave us? Is this heartbreak worth it when I think of all the funny, clever things he used to do? Is it worth all the beautiful memories we have of him?
    I said no at first but now I realise every minute of the past six and a half years we were lucky to have with our little family member was worth it. Would I do it again? I'm not so sure.x

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I'm so sorry for your loss. You did everything you possibly could and I'm sure that the vet and his/her staff cared for him with compassion and empathy over his last week.

I would advise not rushing into getting another dog, no dog will ever take his place, but maybe in a while you will all feel ready to welcome another four legged family member. Dogs teach us many lessons, and unfortunately, one of those lessons is dealing with death and grief. It won't do your children any harm to see how upset you are, that it's alright to grieve and to miss a beloved family member and friend.

Take care OP

• Advertisement

Thanks so much Muddypaws. Well they're certainly seeing me grieve. No, I have no intention of getting another dog anytime soon. I'll know if and when I'm ready.

Today was horrendous. Hubby woke during the night and had a sob. I woke crying at 6:30 and didn't stop most of the day. I look a right state. My lovely neighbour called me aside and sympathised and said she hoped her dog wasn't upsetting me when she barked next door. She kept me talking for over an hour and took my mind off things for a bit.

This is helping too. I know a lot of people don't understand if they don't have pets but thankfully lots of people do. Thanks again for all your help guys.x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

So sorry for your loss, we too had Snoopy cremated. She sits on the mantle piece so shes always watching over us. I am in tears on your story of Mac. Brody is allergic to chicken, it makes him so ill. Thankfully we found out soon . Good luck with your new fur baby, Your memories of Mac are locked in your heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Can you ask the vet or the nurse at the surgery for some other options?

Seriously. You don't have to respond to every single thread, but if you're going to do that you should try to read the thread first.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Im sorry I missed the update OP.

Sorry for your loss.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement