Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really confused about job...shift work?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Yup, its a good job market at the moment, locking yourself into a job is great and all, but it needs to be the right one, and it sounds to me like the doubts you have are deal breakers. Would you not be better off continuing the search.

The last recession was like the worst since the 1930s, I wouldn't take job based on the fear the recession will come.

Also, your going from tech to emergency services, thats a big change. I dont know the exact jobs, but I imagine thats going to be a big change. To me it sounds like it will be long boring periods punctuated by very stressful incidents. Driving back home for an hour in the middle of the night wrecked after some incident might get old fast too. It is possible to get tech like jobs in the public sector as well, maybe you can find something more suitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭seasidedub

At 33 I might have thought differently but at 50, I'd say take the public job. Security is hard to find these days in jobs and with possibly starting a family your "rights" are more guaranteed in terms of parental leave, possibly part time at some point etc. The pension is a huge consideration trust me.....

Stick on your fave tunes/audio book etc and suck up the commute. It sounds like more rural job so less traffic? I drive what should be 30 minutes but takes 90 on the m50......

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

seasidedub wrote: »
    At 33 I might have thought differently but at 50, I'd say take the public job. Security is hard to find these days in jobs and with possibly starting a family your "rights" are more guaranteed in terms of parental leave, possibly part time at some point etc. The pension is a huge consideration trust me.....

Stick on your fave tunes/audio book etc and suck up the commute. It sounds like more rural job so less traffic? I drive what should be 30 minutes but takes 90 on the m50......

Your 20s and 30s are time to be getting yourself on track to a career you want to stick in, taking a few risks - definitely not the time to be going for the safe options. Especially in a job market that's doing well.

Your commute is approx 720 hours a year, that's 30 solid days you spend on the M50 sitting in traffic every year. I don't think that's worth recommending to someone when they could be on a commute 1/3 that time and home with their family the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I worked cycle shifts for 13 years.

It’s bad for your health.
    Bad for family life
    Bad for social life

Interesting working shift work is listed as a class2 carcinogen, same as exposure to glyphosate in roundup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Everyone's different. I've worked shift for years and love it. I wouldn't work Monday-Friday. It suits us perfectly. I have 4 days off every week and get paid 55% premium for it

• Advertisement
Advertisement