Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really confused about job...shift work?

Options
  • 26-05-2019 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all,

I always follow the forums here and I always find so much comfort in the advice that's given, people on here seem to be very pragmatic so where better to take my current headache.

I just started a new job 6 months ago in a tech company, decent salary and lots of opportunity for progression. Just about to start the process of buying a house with my fiancee, we have the deposit and financially we're fine atm...it's just a matter of getting the mortgage approved and finding a house we want.

I applied for an emergency services job a few months back, since then I've done a few interviews and tests and I've just got unofficial word over the weekend that I'll be offered the job towards the end of next week.

Here's my problem, I'm not sure what to do. The emergency services job pays better but it's just over an hour away from where me and my fiancee live currently (which is also our hometown and where both of our families live). My fiancee has a public service job so also works shift work.

I initially applied for the emergency service job because of the security and pay, but it's a commute every day for the rest of my life and also it's in a quiet place, and from speaking to current members and from being down there on two separate occasions it seems not a lot happens in it day to day so I think I could be very bored. Also both of us doing shift work...how s that for people with families?

I'm enjoying my current job but I also can't see myself there in 10-15 years, and in that industry there's not an awful lot of security. Hours are currently flexible and it's a lovely environment to work in.

I know it's not the worst problem to have but it feels like a huge decision right now.

Anyone have any words of wisdom? I'm 33 if that makes any difference too btw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

rofel wrote: »
    Hi all,

I always follow the forums here and I always find so much comfort in the advice that's given, people on here seem to be very pragmatic so where better to take my current headache.

I just started a new job 6 months ago in a tech company, decent salary and lots of opportunity for progression. Just about to start the process of buying a house with my fiancee, we have the deposit and financially we're fine atm...it's just a matter of getting the mortgage approved and finding a house we want.

I applied for an emergency services job a few months back, since then I've done a few interviews and tests and I've just got unofficial word over the weekend that I'll be offered the job towards the end of next week.

Here's my problem, I'm not sure what to do. The emergency services job pays better but it's just over an hour away from where me and my fiancee live currently (which is also our hometown and where both of our families live). My fiancee has a public service job so also works shift work.

I initially applied for the emergency service job because of the security and pay, but it's a commute every day for the rest of my life and also it's in a quiet place, and from speaking to current members and from being down there on two separate occasions it seems not a lot happens in it day to day so I think I could be very bored. Also both of us doing shift work...how s that for people with families?

I'm enjoying my current job but I also can't see myself there in 10-15 years, and in that industry there's not an awful lot of security. Hours are currently flexible and it's a lovely environment to work in.

I know it's not the worst problem to have but it feels like a huge decision right now.

Anyone have any words of wisdom? I'm 33 if that makes any difference too btw.

Two people doing shift work can work out well for families as you can reduce childcare costs. If you can coordinate to do opposite shifts. It might not be very good for your relationship though as you’ll be like ships that pass in the night! There’s a lot of comfort that comes from a permanent job with public services. It’s very hard to be let go and you can apply for parental leave, term time working (in some areas) and can shorten hours in some cases. For example I work 3/4 full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Are you sure it pays better, factor in your fuel costs and 2hr commute. Take it from your after tax pay.
    If it's something you really want to do then go for it regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 rofel

Two people doing shift work can work out well for families as you can reduce childcare costs. If you can coordinate to do opposite shifts. It might not be very good for your relationship though as you’ll be like ships that pass in the night! There’s a lot of comfort that comes from a permanent job with public services. It’s very hard to be let go and you can apply for parental leave, term time working (in some areas) and can shorten hours in some cases. For example I work 3/4 full time.

The security is exactly why I’m so interested.

I’m really happy in my current job but this job would offer massive security especially in the event of a downturn.

I’m worried about going into shift work while my fiancée is also in shift work. Family life and being able to spend time with my fiancée mean a lot to me so I’m apprehensive about how it’d work with both of us working nights etc at times.

Are you sure it pays better, factor in your fuel costs and 2hr commute. Take it from your after tax pay.
    If it's something you really want to do then go for it regardless.

It doesn’t pay better right now but with increments it’ll definitely work out as more.

I’d love the actual job but the problem is I’m not sure about shift work and how that’ll affect my family life.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Why not move closer to the job.? The new one that is

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Why not move closer to the job.? The new one that is

Because it would be moving further away from where my fiancée is working and also from our families. So we could move closer but then she’d have the commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Because it would be moving further away from where my fiancée is working and also from our families. So we could move closer but then she’d have the commute.

She's public sector though and I presume could relocate that role.

Just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Go 50/ 50 on the distance and commute. It will make both your lives easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭horse7

I would take the job,buy the house, clear off as much of the mortgage as possible over the next 10 years, it's possible there may be someone you could transport share with to commute to work, it's possible that you may change job over the next 10_15 years, there are always opportunities, try to see the bigger picture,and best of luck with your decision making.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭Casati

horse7 wrote: »
    I would take the job,buy the house, clear off as much of the mortgage as possible over the next 10 years, it's possible there may be someone you could transport share with to commute to work, it's possible that you may change job over the next 10_15 years, there are always opportunities, try to see the bigger picture,and best of luck with your decision making.

1 hour commute working shift isn’t too bad if you work three/ four days per week, plus the reality of private sector is that you can find yourself working unpaid longer hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Better pay and job security not to be sniffed at when taking on a mortgage imo and it's surprising how quickly you can get used to a longer commute. Lots of people mange family life and shift work, it can sometimes work out very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Just to devils advocate (!) how long is your current commute?

Longer commute = less time at home and doing the things you want to be doing.

I've always had 1-1.5 hour commutes up until the last few years, didn't realise how much it was getting to me until I landed a job a few years ago that has it down to 20 minutes now.

Better pay and job security not to be sniffed at when taking on a mortgage imo and it's surprising how quickly you can get used to a longer commute. Lots of people mange family life and shift work, it can sometimes work out very well.

Absolutely agree, initially it’d be worse pay but after 10 years it’d probably be more than what I’m on now. The real appealing factor is the security...let’s face it, the good times aren’t going to last forever and private sector will take a hit.

On the flip side I’m not sure how active this job will be. I’ve spoken to lads in it who describe it as cushy, but from what I can tell it just seems like a lot of training and waiting to be on call. I think I could get bored with every day being the same.

I’m really really confused right now as I like the job I’m in.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Just to devils advocate (!) how long is your current commute?

Longer commute = less time at home and doing the things you want to be doing.

I've always had 1-1.5 hour commutes up until the last few years, didn't realise how much it was getting to me until I landed a job a few years ago that has it down to 20 minutes now.

Current commute is 20 minutes also and at that I feel like I’ve barely enough time in the day.

It’s so hard to decide because I’m weighing up security and finance with family life and normal working hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

So your new job has a (significantly) longer commute, shift work, will be boring (from what you've heard) and pays less. Sounds great.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I’m worried about going into shift work while my fiancée is also in shift work. Family life and being able to spend time with my fiancée mean a lot to me so I’m apprehensive about how it’d work with both of us working nights etc at times.

Are the shifts completely incompatible? You could both end up working similar shifts and then have even more time together.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Absolutely agree, initially it’d be worse pay but after 10 years it’d probably be more than what I’m on now. The real appealing factor is the security...let’s face it, the good times aren’t going to last forever and private sector will take a hit.

On the flip side I’m not sure how active this job will be. I’ve spoken to lads in it who describe it as cushy, but from what I can tell it just seems like a lot of training and waiting to be on call. I think I could get bored with every day being the same.

I’m really really confused right now as I like the job I’m in.

So it pays less, is three times the commute, is potentially boring and you like your current job?

i think to be honest you probably know the answer already! You'd be mad to move IMO.

I actually had an interview for another job two weeks ago that was the same salary, three times the commute, same industry but was in an institution I'd rather be working in.

I sat on a packed bus on the way to the interview, jammed with people, took me 20 minutes just to get from the top of O Connell Street to Trinity, thought to myself 'wtf are you doing? this is madness' - got off the bus and cancelled the interview.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Are the shifts completely incompatible? You could both end up working similar shifts and then have even more time together.

Well I wouldn’t be able to change my shifts anyway. Maybe she could align but they definitely wouldn’t be possible to completely match up.

o1s1n wrote: »
    So it pays less, is three times the commute, is potentially boring and you like your current job?

i think to be honest you probably know the answer already! You'd be mad to move IMO.

I actually had an interview for another job two weeks ago that was the same salary, three times the commute, same industry but was in an institution I'd rather be working in.

I sat on a packed bus on the way to the interview, jammed with people, took me 20 minutes just to get from the top of O Connell Street to Trinity, thought to myself 'wtf are you doing? this is madness' - got off the bus and cancelled the interview.

I was hoping I’d have a similar moment of realization.

I’m enjoying the job I’m in atm but I know this job isn’t forever either.

My major issue with the potential job is if it’ll be very repetitive and boring. It’ll be good pay and great security but it’s sort of in the middle of nowhere and as I said it seems repetitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Is there anyone else you could talk to about the new job? I would not have thought emergency services would be repetitive or boring, so maybe whoever you were talking to gave you a biased opinion. Worth looking around for more insight/feedback perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Be right back

What job would give you more satisfaction? Wouldn't think an emergency services job would be repetitive as you would never know what's around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

The question is why do you think that you will be doing the same job in 10 years time? Whats needed to move up the ladder career wise. If its a physical job whats a realistic age you continue on untill.

What job would give you more satisfaction? Wouldn't think an emergency services job would be repetitive as you would never know what's around the corner.

It’s in a small area doing specific work. Would definitely be a good number though

The question is why do you think that you will be doing the same job in 10 years time? Whats needed to move up the ladder career wise. If its a physical job whats a realistic age you continue on untill.

I don’t know where I’ll be in 10 years but I suppose what I mean is I don’t see the economy always being this vibrant...I’m thinking maybe a more secure government job might be the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Be right back

It’s in a small area doing specific work. Would definitely be a good number though

Would there be much traffic to your potential job?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭con___manx1

im working shift work the last 5 years and im really sick of it. im looking at going back to college to get away from it later in the year. If I was you op I wouldn't take it unless the money is really worth it. for me that would be at least 35 to 40 basic plus 33 percent shift rate. your giving up your weekends and working when you should be asleep so you should be well compensated for it. the way I feel about it now is its not worth the money. shift work affects your life outside work as you will be tired a lot and especially if you have young kids its definitely not worth it.

im working shift work the last 5 years and im really sick of it. im looking at going back to college to get away from it later in the year. If I was you op I wouldn't take it unless the money is really worth it. for me that would be at least 35 to 40 basic plus 33 percent shift rate. your giving up your weekends and working when you should be asleep so you should be well compensated for it. the way I feel about it now is its not worth the money. shift work affects your life outside work as you will be tired a lot and especially if you have young kids its definitely not worth it.

Thanks for all the replies. The money would be slightly less than mentioned but rising to just over 50k after 10 year increments.

I’m currently on a little more but what I’m afraid of is the shift work and about to have a young family along with having an other half who works shifts plus a 100km commute to and from.

But on the other hand it’s a job for life, huge security should there be any economic crash plus it’ll be a cushy number. Maybe not what I want right now but in years to come it could be

• Registered Users Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Sounds like you're putting an awful lot of faith in the "job for life" aspect, and worrying excessively about "the downturn". Even if it's public service, if/when there's a massive downturn like you expect, you could find yourself on the wrong side of a P45, or taking a cut in salary.

I know what you mean too about the sitting around doing nothing - a lad up the road tried to sell me a job minding the out-of-hours phone on the basis of "sure it never rings ..." Mind-numbingly boring, and then when you do have to spring into action, you're not at your best. Unless you can find/get permission to do something else during your sitting-around time, you might end up looking for a job in the private sector within a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

The thing about the public service, though, is that you CAN move around. And if you have your initial 12 months probationary period done, you will be slotted back into your old position if a new position doesn't work out.

And there are jobs in the public service, all around the country, that are 9-5 (or equivalent) with flexi-time and lots of other options.

I'm in the public service, having worked for years in a precarious but fabulous job. I miss the intellectual challenges of the old job, but I compensate for them in my hobbies. And I love the security and the ability to phone in sick on occasion and be paid (and not have to rearrange a load of stuff). There was a big salary drop but a big blood pressure drop too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Thanks for all the replies. The money would be slightly less than mentioned but rising to just over 50k after 10 year increments.

I’m currently on a little more but what I’m afraid of is the shift work and about to have a young family along with having an other half who works shifts plus a 100km commute to and from.

But on the other hand it’s a job for life, huge security should there be any economic crash plus it’ll be a cushy number. Maybe not what I want right now but in years to come it could be

It could very well to be to your advantage as both working shift can often work out better for a young family .I worked nights and shifts and many of my work colleagues worked opposite a partner and eliminated child care

Advertisement