Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 French Open

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

That was a disgusting way to choke that game

• Registered Users Posts: 14,549 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

That was a disgusting way to choke that game

He threw that game and set away ,just when it looked like he was getting on top.
    His volleying is awful today,he plays a good drop shot ,Nadal does well to scoop it back and Roger continuously makes a mess of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Seemed like that horrendous first serve at 40-0 up killed all his momentum. Didn’t hit another first serve after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Can Federer take 3 games in this set is about the only interesting thing left here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Fed is too nice. If that were me at the net in those conditions the other guy would be getting the ball hit right through him!

• Advertisement

Who do people think has the better chance of beating Nadal in the final? Djokovic or Thiem?

Thiem has beaten Nadal 3 times on clay in last 3 years including this season but was pummeled twice at RG during that time. Djokovic on other hand lost to Nadal in Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Who do people think has the better chance of beating Nadal in the final? Djokovic or Thiem?

Thiem has beaten Nadal 3 times on clay in last 3 years including this season but was pummeled twice at RG during that time. Djokovic on other hand lost to Nadal in Rome.

In a 5 set match? Djokovic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

He threw that game and set away ,just when it looked like he was getting on top.
    His volleying is awful today,he plays a good drop shot ,Nadal does well to scoop it back and Roger continuously makes a mess of it.
    Jesus, it wouldn't kill you to give Nadal a bit of credit! He's played some unreal tennis today.Bit of a stretch to say that Roger threw both sets away.

Wilander is obsessed with serve and volley .
    Does he realistically think that will work on Clay against Nadal ?

Pighead wrote: »
    Jesus, it wouldn't kill you to give Nadal a bit of credit! He's played some unreal tennis today.Bit of a stretch to say that Roger threw both sets away.

Federer was 4-4 and 40-0 up on serve and he lost the game mostly due to unforced errors ,he threw that game away and in doing so the set was gone.
    I see nothing wrong with my statement .
    I never mentioned anything about throwing away the first set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

How does Rafa just keep getting the ball back in the court. Some of those shots from roger are so far out wide, they'd be winners against anyone else

Federer was 4-4 and 40-0 up on serve and he lost the game mostly due to unforced errors ,he threw that game away and in doing so the set was gone.
    I see nothing wrong with my statement .
    I never mentioned anything about throwing away the first set.
    My point re the first set is that you didn't give Rafa any credit there either! You said you weren't sure how Rafa won the first set. Answer to that question is he played some pretty good tennis and forced Roger into making mistakes! I'm guessing you're not a big Rafa fan!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭josip

Ooh, EagererBeaverer looking good

Dominant from Rafa. He looks in great nick. Will be very interesting to see if he can maintain this level through the grass and hard court swings.

Next match should be a cracker. Novak narrowly beat Thiem in Madrid but he had lost his previous two matches on clay against him. Tough to call. I'm edging towards Thiem.

Dominant from Rafa. He looks in great nick. Will be very interesting to see if he can maintain this level through the grass and hard court swings.

Next match should be a cracker. Novak narrowly beat Thiem in Madrid but he had lost his previous two matches on clay against him. Tough to call. I'm edging towards Thiem.

I don't think it was dominant at all. Both under ,70% first serve winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Djokovic doesnt like windy condtions, not sure how Thiem feels about them but it might give him a chance. Otherwise Djokovic should be too good over best of 5.

I don't think it was dominant at all. Both under ,70% first serve winners.
    He won it at a canter! Fed knew the game was up after the second set. Most of the key moments were won by Rafa. Thought he served very well today when he needed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

What really hahah. You bets lost

Oh hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Well done on your bet mate. But fed threw the second set away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Haha thought of you when I saw the score - well played :) was fairly sure Nadal would thump him myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Managed to watch the second set on ITV. Nadal will face either of his toughest challengers on clay on Sunday. I'd like to see him win a twelfth title but the final may see a change in clay court dominance.

Cool cool, I'll file "Fed threw the second set away" in my "things I don't give two ****es about" box.

Cool cool, I'll file "Fed threw the second set away" in my "things I didn't give two ****es about box".

You can file it away in whatever you like.

Its disappointing that Federer almost threw in the towel in the 3rd set .
    Is it mental ,you'd expect more fight out of arguably the GOAT ,guys like Jimmy Connors ,Djokovic would fight to the end.

Ruiz Jr wrote: »
    He beat Nadal the previous 5 times in a row, I don't think it's mental anymore, he's simply playing a formidable clay court player that. The windy conditions also helped Nadal in this match up.

Which would have been 6 in a row had Nadal not pulled out of IW.

It’s hardly a surprise that Rafa beats him on clay.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Which would have been 6 in a row had Nadal not pulled out of IW.

It’s hardly a surprise that Rafa beats him on clay.

Yes thats true ,it was always going to be a huge ask for Federer to win on clay.
    I thought he played fairly well in the first two sets ,backhand was not letting him down ,volleying was poor today though.

Who was the person that thought Tsistipas was the new "Guard" because he won a match a few matches at the Australian open?

Tsitsipas is clearly part of the new guard. He's the youngest player in the top 10 by over a year, has been consistently on the rise. He made the last 16 here, in line with his ranking and only losing to a three time GS champion. What more do you want from him before he can be part of the new guard?

Tsitsipas is clearly part of the new guard. He's the youngest player in the top 10 by over a year, has been consistently on the rise. He made the last 16 here, in line with his ranking and only losing to a three time GS champion. What more do you want from him before he can be part of the new guard?

I don’t class the “new guard” as much. Sasha, Tsitsi and Dom haven’t stepped up yet I’m my opinion.

How exactly will it be "very interesting" to see if he maintains his level on grass and hard court.

We already know he won't from the past 7 years and from the hard court earlier this year.

Nadal peaked in 2008-2013, he's 6 years past had best. It's unlikely he gets past the first week at Wimbledon and it,'s unlikely he wins any hard court tournaments this year. This is the same old boring story we've seen for the last 7 years. It's not interesting at all.

You know he got to the Wimbledon semifinal last year, losing 9-7 to Djokovic in one of their best matches, yes?

• Advertisement

I don’t class the “new guard” as much. Sasha, Tsitsi and Dom haven’t stepped up yet I’m my opinion.

Surely new is simply a matter of time and generations rather than success though. Will they be as good or successful as the big three? No. Or as good as Murray or Stan? Perhaps. They're definitely way more talented then Raonic, Cilic, Kyrgios etc.

Advertisement