Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport police & Fire Job May 2019

Options
  • 21-05-2019 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi Guys.... Just wondering has anyone heard back yet from Shannon re: interviews for airport police and fire positions advertised last month?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Did you get short listed for the medical?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 newrecruit2

I applied, have final interview on Tuesday.

I wouldn't lose hope yet if you haven't heard anything as there's two lads I know that also have final interview but may not take the job regardless because there's been no mention of pay/pension or if the job I even recession proof like a normal public sector job.

Both of these lads would be earning in excess of €60k a year so unless the job pays €50k+ they said they won't take it.

Anyone have any idea of the pay scale/benefit?
    kilburn wrote: »
    Did you get short listed for the medical?

Medical was 3 weeks ago, first step after submitting cv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

I was talking the other night to a airport policeman he told me it's down to 106 ppl alot of firemen from Dublin and northern Ireland have applied for these jobs .. just letting ye know I haven't tried for one

I didn't apply either but heard 50 did the medical for 12 jobs

I didn't apply either but heard 50 did the medical for 12 jobs

There were 200 doing medical and then that was narrowed down to 150 for the physical assessment and aptitude test. From there they scored the top 25 for interviews, which are on this coming week. 2 of which at least are unlikely to take up a potential offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 BinxFace

I applied, have final interview on Tuesday.

I wouldn't lose hope yet if you haven't heard anything as there's two lads I know that also have final interview but may not take the job regardless because there's been no mention of pay/pension or if the job I even recession proof like a normal public sector job.

Both of these lads would be earning in excess of €60k a year so unless the job pays €50k+ they said they won't take it.

Anyone have any idea of the pay scale/benefit?

Medical was 3 weeks ago, first step after submitting cv

Thanks for your reply. Best of luck tomorrow with interview. When did they contact you to advise of interview for tomor? How much notice? I passed the medical and the physical on the day and felt the rest went well. Gutted I never heard anything back.

There were 200 doing medical and then that was narrowed down to 150 for the physical assessment and aptitude test. From there they scored the top 25 for interviews, which are on this coming week. 2 of which at least are unlikely to take up a potential offer.

Thanks for your reply. I passed the physical fitness test and the medical. Haven't heard anything back since... So I assume maybe I didn't top the 25 or so that they selected for interview. Gutted. Would love to have had an interview. Best of luck to all who got that far. Not meant to be for me.

BinxFace wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. I passed the physical fitness test and the medical. Haven't heard anything back since... So I assume maybe I didn't top the 25 or so that they selected for interview. Gutted. Would love to have had an interview. Best of luck to all who got that far. Not meant to be for me.

Just to clarify...the physical fitness was in abbey physio. There was no medical really other than a note from your doctor. The next step was the spatial reasoning and the work related tests.

That’s all I’ve done so far anyway and my next thing is an interview tomorrow where I’m told there’s 25 remaining.

Three friends of mine also went for it, one got an email saying he wasn’t successful after the work related tests and the other two have interviews also but are unlikely to take it unless the salary is €50k or above.

Was that the process for everyone?

Just to clarify...the physical fitness was in abbey physio. There was no medical really other than a note from your doctor. The next step was the spatial reasoning and the work related tests.

That’s all I’ve done so far anyway and my next thing is an interview tomorrow where I’m told there’s 25 remaining.

Three friends of mine also went for it, one got an email saying he wasn’t successful after the work related tests and the other two have interviews also but are unlikely to take it unless the salary is €50k or above.

Was that the process for everyone?

Ya I passed the fitness test in Abbey Physio in Lim. Then I was called for the work related test last week and spatial test etc. But I haven't heard a peep since. Nothing good bad or indifferent. I'd surely have heard by now if I was going for interview... but i haven't received an e mail saying I've been unsuccessful either. I'm kind of in Limbo land.

Ya I passed the fitness test in Abbey Physio in Lim. Then I was called for the work related test last week and spatial test etc. But I haven't heard a peep since. Nothing good bad or indifferent. I'd surely have heard by now if I was going for interview... but i haven't received an e mail saying I've been unsuccessful either. I'm kind of in Limbo land.

Yea that is very strange, I know they definitely sent one of my mates an email saying he was unsuccessful. So maybe it’s not the worst thing if you haven’t received the no yet.

What did you make of it ? Seemed like it’d be very quiet, can’t imagine the have many emergencies so would imagine it’s a lot of training

• Advertisement

Ya I just wish I knew one way or the other. I would absolutely love to have gotten a shot at the interview. Im so gutted.

The fitness test in Abbey in lim was easy enough I thought. The physical test on the day was tough but I enjoyed it. The spatial awareness and report writing were standard enough I felt. It did seem like it would be quiet enough down there alright.

Let me know how the interview went for you. And if you hear anything else about numbers going for it etc please if you get a chance. I guess until I get the e mail to say I have been ruled out there is always a glimmer of hope. But I wont be holding my breath.

Ya I just wish I knew one way or the other. I would absolutely love to have gotten a shot at the interview. Im so gutted.

The fitness test in Abbey in lim was easy enough I thought. The physical test on the day was tough but I enjoyed it. The spatial awareness and report writing were standard enough I felt. It did seem like it would be quiet enough down there alright.

Let me know how the interview went for you. And if you hear anything else about numbers going for it etc please if you get a chance. I guess until I get the e mail to say I have been ruled out there is always a glimmer of hope. But I wont be holding my breath.

Just out of the interview now. They asked a lot about my previous work and how I’d deal with pressure situations and also asked to speak about the difference between the regular fire service and the airport service. Also spoke about salary which was lower than what I expected, two of my mates that are going for it definitely won’t accept it if offered.

I find it strange that they emailed a friend of mine saying they were unsuccessful and then didn’t email you at all...maybe contact HR? You definitely have a right to know regardless.

My general feeling on it is that it’ll be a lot more boring than the regular service. Sounds like most of the day is spent checking parameters and training with the odd emergency landing every year.

Just out of the interview now. They asked a lot about my previous work and how I’d deal with pressure situations and also asked to speak about the difference between the regular fire service and the airport service. Also spoke about salary which was lower than what I expected, two of my mates that are going for it definitely won’t accept it if offered.

I find it strange that they emailed a friend of mine saying they were unsuccessful and then didn’t email you at all...maybe contact HR? You definitely have a right to know regardless.

My general feeling on it is that it’ll be a lot more boring than the regular service. Sounds like most of the day is spent checking parameters and training with the odd emergency landing every year.

Mmmm sounds interesting alright. Yes I would imagine very quiet alright in comparison with regular fire service. Would you take it if ordered? Was the salary much lower than you expected it to be?

Mmmm sounds interesting alright. Yes I would imagine very quiet alright in comparison with regular fire service. Would you take it if ordered? Was the salary much lower than you expected it to be?

I’ll take it but with the view of applying for a full time station elsewhere when they come up.

The salary was about 10k less than I expected starting off but it does rise eventually but considering it’s shift work it isn’t as high as other public sector work and also considering it’ll be pretty repetitive stuff.

I spoke to a few lads and pretty much everyone called for interviews are already retained, paramedics, defense forces or internal applicants which imo is really narrowing their own pool of talent for candidates. It’ll be interesting to see if they recruit a lot of the internal applicants as I was told they did a lot of training on site prior to the positions being advertised. Another huge advantage to people like yourself who wouldn’t have had that access

Their testing was massively flawed in the sense that the above professions would obviously score higher having been exposed to those tests before. They should have taken into account some lads might not have been but may have been more suited regardless.

Liamhic wrote: »
    Well lads, I passed the physical and completed the work place assessment about 3 weeks ago now. I contacted the Recruitment team last week but no response yet. Would love to get some feed back even if i wasn't successful yano.

Very strange and poor form that they haven’t let you know either way.

To be honest their recruitment makes no sense to me. 4 of my friends went for it...3 made interview but the one that didn’t make it to the interview stage was by far the best candidate out of the lot of us. Has his c license, is an engineer and also has done loads of spatial awareness tests before. There’s no way we scored higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Olive bumble

Hi Guys.... Just wondering has anyone heard back yet from Shannon re: interviews for airport police and fire positions advertised last month?

Does anyone know how many calls a year the fire service there hets?

Very strange and poor form that they haven’t let you know either way.

To be honest their recruitment makes no sense to me. 4 of my friends went for it...3 made interview but the one that didn’t make it to the interview stage was by far the best candidate out of the lot of us. Has his c license, is an engineer and also has done loads of spatial awareness tests before. There’s no way we scored higher.

Wow Jesus I can't believe that about the recruitment process and your friend. That's just mad.

Have you heard anything since the interview Tuesday. I still haven't heard a peep. I'm still in no mans land. I'd still rather know and get the feedback even as an unsuccessful candidate.

From what we were told their 11 week training is starting June 17th which is just around the corner. So like they should be letting people know so they can hand in their notice on current jobs etc.

Does anyone know how many calls a year the fire service there hets?

No sorry. Haven't a clue. Can't imagine it would be too high though. Prob more so get called to deal with emergency landings etc id say than fires as such. But I really don't know.

Liamhic wrote: »
    Well lads, I passed the physical and completed the work place assessment about 3 weeks ago now. I contacted the Recruitment team last week but no response yet. Would love to get some feed back even if i wasn't successful yano.

I'm in exactly the same boat here too. And I'm gutted. I would have loved a shot at it.

Got the call today and I got it.

The whole process was a mess. I’m hearing that most of those selected have come internally. Which is completely unfair on others as the internal lads had training and access to the fire station prior to the selection process.

I’d have huge question marks over the whole process to be honest but as luck would have it, it worked out for me.

Feel sorry for ye lads...really cruel to put lads through that when it seems like it was already fixed and to add insult to injury ye didn’t even get an email to let ye know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Tombstone83

Hope all got positive results. In case any1 is waiting on clarification. Just heard back this evening at have got in barring medical next week.

Got the call today and I got it.

The whole process was a mess. I’m hearing that most of those selected have come internally. Which is completely unfair on others as the internal lads had training and access to the fire station prior to the selection process.

I’d have huge question marks over the whole process to be honest but as luck would have it, it worked out for me.

Feel sorry for ye lads...really cruel to put lads through that when it seems like it was already fixed and to add insult to injury ye didn’t even get an email to let ye know

Well done budðŸ‘💯 see u at training👌

Typical Ireland no such thing as an open competition

Typical Ireland no such thing as an open competition

OK no such thing as an open competition???? I've never been a retained or otherwise fire fighter. I have neither a family member nor any nepotistic way into this competition applied and never thought I had a chance. Have gotten through for reasons un known?? Maybe merit surely that wouldn't be a requirement ?? But sure must have been me dá me uncle me local counciler or sum other neferious reason.

OK no such thing as an open competition???? I've never been a retained or otherwise fire fighter. I have neither a family member nor any nepotistic way into this competition applied and never thought I had a chance. Have gotten through for reasons un known?? Maybe merit surely that wouldn't be a requirement ?? But sure must have been me dá me uncle me local counciler or sum other neferious reason.
    no chance it just wasn't for u? We all hand the same opportunity?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Olive bumble

Fair play to ye,
    Ive ten years experience in my local fire service, Im an emt and drive an ambulance part time . They told me in interview I done very well in written tests and wore BA excellent and then i get an email saying I hadnt enough experience or knowledge for the job.....

I’m delighted I got it but I’m hearing most recruited were internally from the airport.

I’m delighted I got it but I’m hearing most recruited were internally from the airport.

I didn't apply my comment is based on what has been said in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Toll123

Hope all got positive results. In case any1 is waiting on clarification. Just heard back this evening at have got in barring medical next week.

Well done, fair play to ya. Out of interest I wonder what will be involved in the medical. Were there any requirements?

• Advertisement

Toll123 wrote: »
    Well done, fair play to ya. Out of interest I wonder what will be involved in the medical. Were there any requirements?

They haven’t mentioned it yet. Said there’ll be a call early next week.

Advertisement