Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acquiring Rifle not on IE Market

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Hi, looking for some expert advice please.

Looking to acquire one of the rifles below. Both commonly available in UK but neither available in the foreseeable future from Ireland RFD.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-15-sport-ii-or-magpul-moe-m-lok-carbine-length-handguard

https://kriss-usa.com/rifles/rimfire/dmk22

Will an Ireland RFD import rifle for me from UK/other if it is a brand they do not normally deal?

I guess second option is buy in UK, ship to Northern Ireland RFD and import to an Ireland RFD or collect myself with necessary permits?

Doable or too much hassle?

Thanks

Hope you dont experience
    "Idontlikethelookof that" or
    "black rifle too dangerous to license"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Sorry for my ignorance on gun related matters but what is this type of weapon used for in Ireland?

Given my lack of knowledge in this area - safe to say I’m unable to contribute to how you would best import such a machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Savage93 wrote: »
    Hope you dont experience
    "Idontlikethelookof that" or
    "black rifle too dangerous to license"

I was wondering about that myself. Would they be reasonable grounds to refuse?

Ref black - I currently have an application in for https://www.air-arms.co.uk/ultimate-sporter-xs.html in black ;)

Sorry for my ignorance on gun related matters but what is this type of weapon used for in Ireland?

Given my lack of knowledge in this area - safe to say I’m unable to contribute to how you would best import such a machine.

It is a .22 long rifle typically used for target shooting, hunting and/or vermin control on farmland etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Cill dara hunting in kildare had a similar Smith and Wesson recently. I enquired about licensing it and was told i could only be granted a restricted license because of the style of it. Restricted means it would be for rang.e use only so no tramping through fields with it. Give cill dara a call they are S&W agents for Ireland

• Advertisement

Luckysasha wrote: »
    Cill dara hunting in kildare had a similar Smith and Wesson recently. I enquired about licensing it and was told i could only be granted a restricted license because of the style of it. Restricted means it would be for rang.e use only so no tramping through fields with it. Give cill dara a call they are S&W agents for Ireland

Thanks. Rang Cill Dara last week. Said not in stock for 3 months+. Was wondering about UK option as available now from loads of dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Restricted means it would be for rang.e use only so no tramping through fields with it.

Eh, sorry there boss but that's not strictly correct. I use on of my restricted rifles (legally) for vermin control.

I applied to use it for target shooting and vermin control and there was no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,955 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

You have been fed a line there of quality horse sht!! Restricted does NOT mean just range use.You can also use it for hunting too ,iF you specify such in your application.As it is a restricted rifle,not a shotgun,you can also have a high capacity.22lr mag with this as well if it is granted as restricted. As for the "Idontlikedelookodatnow!" clause you might want to advise your dealer and CS of numerous cases in Limerick city around 2012/2014.Where liscenses were granted on semi auto centrefire rifles where this nonsnse of the "Idontlikedelookodatnow" clause was put to bed,under the proof of 100% that "Form does not dictate function" and that there is no definition in Irish firearms laws as to what an "assault rifle " looks like or how it functions. Also it cost the CS at the time,[who is now in charge of road saftey as an assistant comissioner], over 30 grand in lost cases in one single day in court costs to learn this point.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Hi, looking for some expert advice please.

Looking to acquire one of the rifles below. Both commonly available in UK but neither available in the foreseeable future from Ireland RFD.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-15-sport-ii-or-magpul-moe-m-lok-carbine-length-handguard

https://kriss-usa.com/rifles/rimfire/dmk22

Will an Ireland RFD import rifle for me from UK/other if it is a brand they do not normally deal?

I guess second option is buy in UK, ship to Northern Ireland RFD and import to an Ireland RFD or collect myself with necessary permits?

Doable or too much hassle?

Thanks

Good luck getting Kriss anywhere in the EU for starters.Its a US brand that isnt really known here,and you will pay thru the snot to get one in from the US.IF it can be shipped under ITAR regulations.
    As you seem to want to get expensive stuff from the UK...:p and like the look of them.Why not have a look at what is available in .22 AR style rifles in the UK?The Brits are making exellent .22 black rifles these days.

Have a look at LANTAC UK. They will almost build you a custom rifle with genuine AR parts as much as possible,from their parent company LANTAC in the US under UK law for the price of getting either of those two brands into Ireland.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Good luck getting Kriss anywhere in the EU for starters.Its a US brand that isnt really known here,and you will pay thru the snot to get one in from the US.IF it can be shipped under ITAR regulations.
    As you seem to want to get expensive stuff from the UK...:p and like the look of them.Why not have a look at what is available in .22 AR style rifles in the UK?The Brits are making exellent .22 black rifles these days.

Have a look at LANTAC UK. They will almost build you a custom rifle with genuine AR parts as much as possible,from their parent company LANTAC in the US under UK law for the price of getting either of those two brands into Ireland.:)

Thanks Grizzly.

Kriss appears available from plenty sources in UK e.g:

https://firingsolutions.co.uk/products/kriss-defiance-dmk22c-black-dm22-cbl00

http://www.dauntseyguns.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=DM22-CBL00

I did briefly look at Lantac but will look again based on your recommendation :)

My original question remains about how best to get it into Ireland.

I see S&W is available from some NI dealers. Maybe the easier option if a nearby RFD would sort for me but would mean paying up front and assuming I’d get license = bit risky?

• Advertisement

You dont need an RFD to do this at all.:)
    Once you have a liscense granted to you with the guns specific serial nr. Thats the only problem,you need to get the dealer to hold a specificly serialised numberd gun that you have applied for.
    You can have the gun deliverd to your door.You just need the dept of Justice to issue you an import cert for that particular gun and get it shipped from the UK dealership to you here.The trick is finding a courier who will handle the shipment in the UK at a reasonable price. You can save a few hundred,by doing it like this

Only reason I'd use a dealer here is I discover a buy it or its gone type deal,and I need to get it secured in Ireland pending getting a liscense for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Sorry for my ignorance on gun related matters but what is this type of weapon fiream used for in Ireland?

Here in UK we use them for fun, and for three-gun comps, and for general futzing around with what is probably the most prolific .22 rimfire look-alike - and the cheapest.

The Kriss IS here in UK, BTW, and although it costs a good deal more, but also offers a good deal more, since it is entirely metal, and has a solid barrel, not sleeved like the S&W. I shot one last year when they were new here, and was mightily impressed.

Lantac are good, but then, if you want to go to an Irishman with your business, then Mark Bradley is the go-to guy. He builds whatever you want, and with many trophies and medals for CSR behind him on the shelf [he founded the discipline, BTW] I'd look to him before anybody else.

If I had a spare slot on my FAC I'd have one like a shot, if I wasn't already looking for a StG44.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

My original question remains about how best to get it into Ireland.
    Two options:
    1. Import it yourself by getting a serial number for the gun (the exact one you intend to buy) download the personal import paperwork, get the import license, apply for and get the firearms license, send off firearms license and import paperwork to supplier, have firearm shipped directly to you.
    2. Get an RFD to do all that above via their RFD license, and for a fee.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    Two options:
    1. Import it yourself by getting a serial number for the gun (the exact one you intend to buy) download the personal import paperwork, get the import license, apply for and get the firearms license, send off firearms license and import paperwork to supplier, have firearm shipped directly to you.
    2. Get an RFD to do all that above via their RFD license, and for a fee.

Thanks Cass. So import license first then apply for firearms license. Cheers.

Good to know.

........ and that there is no definition in Irish firearms laws as to what an "assault rifle " looks like or how it functions..
    SI 21/2008
    assault rifles” means—

(a) rifles capable of functioning as semi-automatic firearms and as automatic firearms,

(b) firearms that resemble such rifles;
    Looking to acquire one of the rifles below.
    Maybe i missed it above, which caliber you looking at?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Thanks Cass. So import license first then apply for firearms license. Cheers..
    Nope, sorry. I didn't put it in exactly the right order as i wasn't thinking. I just blurted out the steps.

Apply for the firearms license first, then the import. No point applying for the import if they cannot ship it to you because you've no license. Plus the import license has a "sell by date" iirc.

Also if you get refused the firearms license the gun will not be shipped, or if going through an RFD will be paid for and shipped but you won't be able to possess it.

So get the firearms license first for anything you're considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

My young lad wants a 22 in a couple of years for his 14th birthday so I was gonna get the s&w and get him his training license, be food craic on the range and for bunny bashing in the fields! It's one of them or a 10.22 with an adjustable AR type stock so we can both use it

If Cilla dara have them coming in 3 months why not see if they can get a serial number for one that's coming and apply for that? Could be perfectly timed

SI 21/2008

Maybe i missed it above, which caliber you looking at?

.22 thanks

aaakev wrote: »
    My young lad wants a 22 in a couple of years for his 14th birthday so I was gonna get the s&w and get him his training license, be food craic on the range and for bunny bashing in the fields! It's one of them or a 10.22 with an adjustable AR type stock so we can both use it

If Cilla dara have them coming in 3 months why not see if they can get a serial number for one that's coming and apply for that? Could be perfectly timed

That sounds like a plan - thanks

Nope, sorry. I didn't put it in exactly the right order as i wasn't thinking. I just blurted out the steps.

Apply for the firearms license first, then the import. No point applying for the import if they cannot ship it to you because you've no license. Plus the import license has a "sell by date" iirc.

Also if you get refused the firearms license the gun will not be shipped, or if going through an RFD will be paid for and shipped but you won't be able to possess it.

So get the firearms license first for anything you're considering.

That makes sense, thank you.

I was checking out range membership fees today and was very surprised with €600+ fees in first year. I plan/had planned to join range for two reasons:

1. I would like to target shoot at range with this AR15 lookalike

2. I have it in my head that being a member of shooting range will help my license application for a firearm that some Supers may not like the look of due to the ‘assault rifle look’.

I have my own land that requires vermin control. That should be reason enough to have license for firearm below approved? - Thoughts?

(If I don’t tick shooting range on application form at this time, can I still use shooting range in future or will it require extension of license?).

N.B. I currently have a firearms application in for Air Rifle for vermin control in my own land and this will be my first license.

Thanks

https://www.google.com/search?q=wesson+mp+15/22&rlz=1C9BKJA_enIE777IE777&hl=en-GB&prmd=misvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj12viek6jiAhUgRBUIHUatAEoQ_AUoAnoECAkQAg&biw=834&bih=1003#imgrc=WumaSIUAVG8QzM

• Advertisement

I was checking out range membership fees today and was very surprised with €600+ fees in first year.
    Surprised good or bad.

I've said this umpteen times in the past years. The MNSCI (which i assume is the range you are referring to) is the largest in the country and one of the largest in Europe. As such it has brand name, high running costs and more importantly is open to abuse.

People know that joining it will almost guarantee you get whatever license you are seeking. So the MNSCI, like most other ranges, introduced a first year fee to weed out those looking to get a license for a firearm they normally wouldn't get without membership.

As for the price. 600 for the first year, but 300 for each successive year. Other range charge 250, 450, 600, 850 and 1,000+ for the first year with yearly fees running at 250, 300, 850 and 1,000+ and not one of them can match the midlands in terms of facilities.

So if you want to shoot 50 yards only then most any range will do. If you want to shoot 100 yards you have the choice of three ranges. You want to shoot more than 100 yards you have the Midlands or An Roicht in Kerry. If you want to shoot more than 300 yards, but also have pistol ranges, sheltered ranges (out to 300 metres) clay ranges, Gallery ranges and long ranges out to 1,200 yards then the only place in Europe, other than Bisley with this is Midlands.

not bad for 300 a year.
    2. I have it in my head that being a member of shooting range will help my license application for a firearm that some Supers may not like the look of due to the ‘assault rifle look’.
    It will help, but won't guarantee the Super will grant it.
    I have my own land that requires vermin control. That should be reason enough to have license for firearm below approved? - Thoughts?
    Why not a Ruger 10/22?

I'm not getting at you just asking the same question the Super will. Even though both are unrestricted (once limited to 10 round mags) this may come up. Make sure you have a good answer and don't get caught off guard.
    (If I don’t tick shooting range on application form at this time, can I still use shooting range in future or will it require extension of license?).
    This is tricky. The law says you apply for the firearm and supply your good reason. If you don't join a range then your only good reason is hunting. If you apply for it for hunting, and only tick hunting on the FCA1, then if you go target shooting later you may be in breach of the conditions of your license.

You really should tick both hunting and target shooting if you intend to do both within the lifespan of the 3 years license, but that means joining a range before applying.
    N.B. I currently have a firearms application in for Air Rifle for vermin control in my own land and this will be my first license.
    then the next question the Super may ask, as with the one above about why a Ruger won't suffice, is why you need this for hunting too when you have the air rifle. So you need another good reason which would be target shooting.

By the by while my mouth is warm. Just do your homework on the rifle, which ever you choose, before buying. Semi auto .22lr rifles are not that inherently accurate. They look cool and are fun as hell to shoot, but you won't be winning competitions with them in their original format and take it from someone with one and has shot them before, the novelty wears off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭rugerfanatic

.............the novelty wears off.

No it doesn't :D

SI 21/2008
    Quote:
    assault rifles” means—

(a) rifles capable of functioning as semi-automatic firearms and as automatic firearms,

(b) firearms that resemble such rifles;

First part is irrevelant as they are CAT A [prohibited] under EU law,so owning one ,while theoritically possible here,is an academic question.

Once again... Form does NOT follow function!:) I refer again,to the "Waterford tractor" court case of 1983 or 1984 There has to be a written legal definition in the act as to what the item is. And as in this case,what army anywhere in the world has ever issued .22 cal as its mainstay battle round?So it even falls on tht point too.

First off i'm not advocating for the other side.

Secondly that definition while in an SI (secondary legislation) is law. So unless there has been a court case where this SI has been amended, repealed then it still stands.

It might still stand,but it is not implied or used as it is simply very bad law,with a multiple precidents to shoot it down.Were it to go to the HC ,and this is expert judicial opinion,it will be lost by the state,hence it is not used by DC judges.

I agree with ya about it going to court, but even recently people are still being warned about the "idontlikethelookofit" law.

If its so easily dismissed as non workable then there should be no need to consider it when looking for a firearm as the OP is.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

A gun like that is going to attract unnecessary attention from the superintendent. Tbh a cz 455 would be far better for vermin control.

It's up to you but I think the superintendent will think you have some ulterior motive when you say you want to shoot rabbits with an ar look a like

Tbh a cz 455 would be far better for vermin control.
    Hence the need for a dual purpose such as target shooting where events/details are timed and a semi auto reduces bolt cycling time, stops you coming off target to cycle the bolt, etc.
    It's up to you but I think the superintendent will think you have some ulterior motive when you say you want to shoot rabbits with an ar look a like
    He/she can think what they want. the law says if the applicant can show good reason, and the person is not disentitled the Super can (not must) issue the license.

To refuse it based on looks or a personal opinion, of the Super, would not hold up in court as Grizz said above.

Also as a .22lr, unrestricted firearm it won't draw the same side way looks as a semi auto centrefire. Those really get the hair standing on the backs of the necks of AGS.

I agree with ya about it going to court, but even recently people are still being warned about the "idontlikethelookofit" law.

If its so easily dismissed as non workable then there should be no need to consider it when looking for a firearm as the OP is.

Remember what we have said about self banning ourselves on these types of guns?

Also,what exactly is the difference between this type of .22 and taking a Ruger 10/22 and tacticooling it with bits?All you are doing is really buying all the stuff at once on the AR?

• Advertisement

Also,what exactly is the difference between this type of .22 and taking a Ruger 10/22 and tacticooling it with bits??

Because when the Super Googles Ruger 10/22 he gets this:

top.jpg

As opposed to this:

InfamousJ-10-22-Custom-Rifle.jpg

Or this when he Googles S&W M&P15

m-and-p-15-sport-ii-10202.jpg

There is nothing wrong, illegal or anything like that from converting the Ruger into something that looks like the S&W (as long as the mags are always 10 rounds or fewer) by buying the accessories and it's a lot easier to buy a Ruger, and adapt it to "tacti-cool" than try and fight to bring in a S&W MP15.

Just sayin.

Advertisement